“Even better than last time”
Review of Bridge Hotel

Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here solo a year ago and wrote a glowing review. My wife accompanied me on this occasion and I was hoping that standards would not have slipped. Despite the fact that there had been some very recent staff changes, one of these being the chef, we were delighted to find that things were as good as previously and the food was even better.
Thanks to all who made our stay so pleasant, including the twelve ladies from Bradford who made Sunday night in the Residents Lounge extremely jolly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Nauticalgeordie,

Thank you very much for writing a review, we do value your custom, and for the 5 out of 5 star rating!

Yes, we have had some changes here, but I am pleased to say that "nothing has changed" in terms of the warm and friendly atmosphere, amazing surroundings and exceptional food and service.

Our team are focused on customer satisfaction, and I am honoured to be part of it.

Thank you for returning with your wife, and I hope that on your third visit we deliver to the expectations you hold.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Located in a tiny hamlet, nestled between magnificant hills and sited between two impressive mountain lakes this is the ideal place if you are interested in walking, rambling or the more energetic hill climbing. We were blessed with fabulous sunny weather although this probably is not the norm. Road access to the hotel is not the best and when we visited two of the roads to the hotel were closed for repairs, which totally confused our sat nav system so we had to revert to the old paper map method.
Its difficult to find fault with the hotel, the rooms are warm, well furnished and comfortable, the lounge area well appointed and inviting, but almost as always there were a few gripes. My discontent focussed on the bar area, which is where we ate and drank in an evening because the main restaurant service was closed when we were there. My meals were well below par, the hotpot being particularly underwhelming - there was plenty of lamb on the plate but it was tasteless through vast overcooking and almost completely dry and with no gravy or source to pep up the meal it became difficult eating. I think I was expecting 'home style' cooking and it turned out to be ' run of the mill pub style'. On the second night in the bar it became clear that understaffing was a problem - two people to man the bar , deliver meals from kitchen to table and then clear away all that was left simply didn,t work. When I went to the bar to replenish our drinks there were two staff serving but they quickly disappeared to serve food and clear empties and I was left standing there like the invisible man. I gave up the attempt to get a drink and retried 20 minutes later. My feeling is that the kitchen and bar area is not what it should be and management needs to find a remedy.
Another point to consider when booking the hotel, if you have reduced mobility, is that there is no lift and stairs could become a problem particularly to the upper floors.
Having said this, if you want a comfortable hotel in a idyllic, tranquil spot with fabulous scenery and plenty of scope for the great outdoors then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Graham,

Many thanks for the review, and for letting us know of your experince with us.

We are so blessed to be in this majestic valley, and no matter which way one chooses to travel to Buttermere, the views are breathtaking (especially the first time they are seen!).

I believe that the road works near Borrowdale are almost complete, and are a week ahead of schedule which will please many people.

We are also really happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms and the private lounge - it is a popular area where one can read, use the wi fi or just watch the world pass by the bay windows.

It is a terrible shame that your meals didn't meet your expectations, and we are sorry that the service you recieved was below our normal excellent standards. On the second evening you were here, we did experience a busier night than normal, and this will have placed a little more pressure on the staff. However, I appreciate that this does not mean that the customer should wait an excessive amount of time, and I do apologise for the delays in service.

Many thanks again for your feedback - we rely upon this to improve areas where necessary.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Charming hotel miles from anywhere, on a road which connects nowhere of any importance. Perfect for getting away, and no heavy through traffic. We considered ourselves lucky that other hotels closer to towns like Kendal, Keswick and Bowness had been booked out, such that we found this tranquil hideaway. Silent & stunning Cumbrian landscape between two lakes.
The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The breakfast was great, and so were the evening bar meals. When my elderly mum decided she didn't like the fish pie she had ordered, it was promptly changed for the excellent risotto without any quibble or charge. And we got a free packed lunch upon departure the next morning.
This Hotel deserves to prosper because the staff are focussed on the happiness of their guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy P
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.

On behalf of all the team here, I am delighted to hear your stay (even though not originally planned to be in Buttermere) was enjoyed by everyone in your party.

I recall speaking with you on Sunday, and hope the route you planned back to Keswick included some great scenery whilst avoiding the roadworks.

It was a real pleasure meeting you all, and I'm glad Mum enjoyed her room amd meal too.

Thank you for your praise of the staff - I am proud to be part of such a great customer focused team, and I hope we may be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just returned from another great stay at the Bridge at Buttermere and I would just like to say thanks to Steven, Ray, Attila, Paul and all the staff for all their help in making our stay very enjoyable. Anyone looking for a nice little hotel in the best part of the Lakes should try the Bridge! I have read some of the other reviews and would refute that the General Manager Steven is condescending I have always found Steven to be polite, friendly and very professional as are all the staff of the Bridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for your review, and for taking the time sharing your experiences with us.

It was great seeing you both again, and I am delighted you enjoyed another stay - it is always a pleasure welcoming guests both regular and new. I have passed your comments on, and its always encouraging to hear praise for staff who have made your stay more enjoyable.

I look forward to seeing you again, and thank you again for the kind words.

Ray

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have just enjoyed a totally relaxing and wonderful week away at buttermere with our six year old son and seven month german shepherd Barney. The weather was awful but as ever buttermere was beautiful. We stayed in a lovely warm apartment with all necessary facilities and spent our days walking and then eating in the pub. All staff at this hotel are fantastic and very helpful. A special mention for Ray who is great and Attila who is an asset to your team and kept my son happy all week with his jokes and friendly professional manner. Bar food was lovely and can I just say they have the best puddings I have ever tasted. Loved our stay hope to see you again in summer, we have visited every year for the last fourteen so absolutely love this place, a piece of heaven. Thank you to all staff at the bridge.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear neilO and family,

Thank you for your great review of the recent stay in the Apartments. I am sure that Attila and Ray will have seen your very kind comments - I am blessed to have such a wonderful team with me here.

Yes, Hayley has been baking for us now for some 19 years and (as my belly size can testify) her puddings are just awesome home made goodness.

We really look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven and team

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had a 3 night stay at the Bridge this week and although the weather was very mixed (as you'd expect in February!) we did some excellent walks straight from the hotel, and the welcome from Atilla, Ray, Stephen and the rest of the team was always warm, professional and friendly.
The breakfasts were huge but delicious and although we didn't make use of it, we could have asked for a packed lunch to be made up for us. Drinks and dinner in the bar each night was relaxed and friendly, both from staff and visitors.
Our room was fabulous, we had room 18 which has a 4 poster bed, 2 armchairs, loads of space and a lovely deep bath for soaking in after a long walk.
We'd highly recommend a stay here, and we'll definitely be returning asap.

Room Tip: Room 18 was superb and has views from the windows of the fells and Sour Milk Ghyll.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kt2011
Thank you for your superb review of your recent stay- It was a pleasure for us to be able to look after you and we thoroughly enjoyed having you stay. I love room 18 too!

Wishing you well until your return, all the very best and again thank you.

Steven and Crew.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Good things about this hotel include the lovely lounge with its open fire place, the fine dining in the restaurant, the bar with its wholesome food, drying room and the rooms which are in good condition with excellent showers.

But there are a few things to be aware of before you book, so that you get what you are expecting. First, I went as a single traveller in February to do some walking on the local fells, but specifically asked for a quiet room where I could read and enjoy the peace and quiet when it rained. So I was surprised when I was shown to room 22 (superior double), which their booking system describes as a quiet room and heard the extractor fan in the kitchen below or its generator, running constantly from 7.30am - 9.30pm. It is a low pitched throbbing noise that I found intrusive, which is a shame as the room was otherwise lovely. So I moved to room 10 which is smaller and above the bar. So I could hear the door between the bar and the hotel banging closed until 11pm, but otherwise it suited me better.

Second, I had booked B&B and evening meal in advance as I had not noticed that the restaurant was fine dining. What I should have done is book B&B and have a tab in the bar for whatever I ate and drank, so that I could refuel with plenty of carbs after my hill walking. The fine dining is exquisite and beautifully presented, but just doesn't give enough energy after a hard days walking. Steven Langley the general manager reluctantly agreed to change my tariff, after the first day. But he clearly did not want to lose the income as he kept saying "we don't normally change tariff" .

Third, virtually all the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. The general manager Steven also says the right things, but as another review has noted, he does it in a condescending way. e.g. The information booklet in the room says to ask for the code to access the WiFi. But when I asked him for this, he looked at me as though I was stupid, and said that it had been open access for ages. Then paused and said "Oh, so you mean that the information in the rooms is out of date"

Clearly many people have excellent holidays at the hotel. But it's worth keeping these things in mind before you go to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: In 23 you can hear the kitchen extractor fan or its generator all day In 11 other reviews have said...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ian C
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Ian C
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel.
I am sorry that you had to move rooms to find the peace and quiet you were looking for.
In terms of your tariff and what you feel was my condescending manner, I am extremely sorry that you feel this way. I assure you that It was never my intention, I truly pride myself on being able to look after our guests in a homely manner. I was merely surprised that I had forgotten to change the bedroom literature after I took the password off the Wi-FI. The password was causing us access difficulties and guests were having trouble connecting - So I removed the password, thank you for pointing out that the bedroom literature was inacurate- this has now been reprinted and replaced.
Perhaps we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#4 of 17 in Keswick

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!