“Comfortable, friendly and beautiful location with amazing views and great walking right on the doorstep!”
Review of Bridge Hotel

Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a two night stay at the end of January on the Friday and Saturday night on the Fill your boots offer which was fantastic value. We were made to feel right at home as soon as we got through the door and had a good laugh with the staff on reception and my bag was carried up to the room. The room was lovely and was decorated really nice. There was lovely home made biccies with the tea tray which was yummy. had great nights sleep as the bed was so comfy and good pillows - not the flat things you get in some places! Good drying room which was invaluable as it rained and sleeted most of the weekend so we were able to get walking stuff dry. Packed lunches included on one day and haf good sandwiches with choice of fillings and staff even sorted some out for us at short notice on Sunday morning when we completely forgot to fill in the packed lunch slip the night before. We ate in the bar at night and the food was great and good portions too! Good beer too! Breakfast was was delicious - we had full english which set us up for a good walk on the fells. It was served in a lovely room and the views were great.Everyone really works hard to make the stay comfortable and nothing was too much trouble. Plus it is so clean tidy and so comfortable I will definately be coming back here - thanks to all the staff for making our stay so nice and friendly. Am looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear TripperKaz,

Many thanks for such a lovely review - we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we "ticked all the boxes" for you.

We find the drying room to be invaluable - I suppose the lakes need to be re-charged at some point so being able to dry your walking gear is a bonus!

The Muddy Boots offer certainly has made a huge impact on our Winter trade, and we anticipate next Winter deals to be just as popular.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us,

Ray and jovial team :)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here solo a year ago and wrote a glowing review. My wife accompanied me on this occasion and I was hoping that standards would not have slipped. Despite the fact that there had been some very recent staff changes, one of these being the chef, we were delighted to find that things were as good as previously and the food was even better.
Thanks to all who made our stay so pleasant, including the twelve ladies from Bradford who made Sunday night in the Residents Lounge extremely jolly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Nauticalgeordie,

Thank you very much for writing a review, we do value your custom, and for the 5 out of 5 star rating!

Yes, we have had some changes here, but I am pleased to say that "nothing has changed" in terms of the warm and friendly atmosphere, amazing surroundings and exceptional food and service.

Our team are focused on customer satisfaction, and I am honoured to be part of it.

Thank you for returning with your wife, and I hope that on your third visit we deliver to the expectations you hold.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Located in a tiny hamlet, nestled between magnificant hills and sited between two impressive mountain lakes this is the ideal place if you are interested in walking, rambling or the more energetic hill climbing. We were blessed with fabulous sunny weather although this probably is not the norm. Road access to the hotel is not the best and when we visited two of the roads to the hotel were closed for repairs, which totally confused our sat nav system so we had to revert to the old paper map method.
Its difficult to find fault with the hotel, the rooms are warm, well furnished and comfortable, the lounge area well appointed and inviting, but almost as always there were a few gripes. My discontent focussed on the bar area, which is where we ate and drank in an evening because the main restaurant service was closed when we were there. My meals were well below par, the hotpot being particularly underwhelming - there was plenty of lamb on the plate but it was tasteless through vast overcooking and almost completely dry and with no gravy or source to pep up the meal it became difficult eating. I think I was expecting 'home style' cooking and it turned out to be ' run of the mill pub style'. On the second night in the bar it became clear that understaffing was a problem - two people to man the bar , deliver meals from kitchen to table and then clear away all that was left simply didn,t work. When I went to the bar to replenish our drinks there were two staff serving but they quickly disappeared to serve food and clear empties and I was left standing there like the invisible man. I gave up the attempt to get a drink and retried 20 minutes later. My feeling is that the kitchen and bar area is not what it should be and management needs to find a remedy.
Another point to consider when booking the hotel, if you have reduced mobility, is that there is no lift and stairs could become a problem particularly to the upper floors.
Having said this, if you want a comfortable hotel in a idyllic, tranquil spot with fabulous scenery and plenty of scope for the great outdoors then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Graham,

Many thanks for the review, and for letting us know of your experince with us.

We are so blessed to be in this majestic valley, and no matter which way one chooses to travel to Buttermere, the views are breathtaking (especially the first time they are seen!).

I believe that the road works near Borrowdale are almost complete, and are a week ahead of schedule which will please many people.

We are also really happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms and the private lounge - it is a popular area where one can read, use the wi fi or just watch the world pass by the bay windows.

It is a terrible shame that your meals didn't meet your expectations, and we are sorry that the service you recieved was below our normal excellent standards. On the second evening you were here, we did experience a busier night than normal, and this will have placed a little more pressure on the staff. However, I appreciate that this does not mean that the customer should wait an excessive amount of time, and I do apologise for the delays in service.

Many thanks again for your feedback - we rely upon this to improve areas where necessary.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Charming hotel miles from anywhere, on a road which connects nowhere of any importance. Perfect for getting away, and no heavy through traffic. We considered ourselves lucky that other hotels closer to towns like Kendal, Keswick and Bowness had been booked out, such that we found this tranquil hideaway. Silent & stunning Cumbrian landscape between two lakes.
The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The breakfast was great, and so were the evening bar meals. When my elderly mum decided she didn't like the fish pie she had ordered, it was promptly changed for the excellent risotto without any quibble or charge. And we got a free packed lunch upon departure the next morning.
This Hotel deserves to prosper because the staff are focussed on the happiness of their guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy P
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.

On behalf of all the team here, I am delighted to hear your stay (even though not originally planned to be in Buttermere) was enjoyed by everyone in your party.

I recall speaking with you on Sunday, and hope the route you planned back to Keswick included some great scenery whilst avoiding the roadworks.

It was a real pleasure meeting you all, and I'm glad Mum enjoyed her room amd meal too.

Thank you for your praise of the staff - I am proud to be part of such a great customer focused team, and I hope we may be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just returned from another great stay at the Bridge at Buttermere and I would just like to say thanks to Steven, Ray, Attila, Paul and all the staff for all their help in making our stay very enjoyable. Anyone looking for a nice little hotel in the best part of the Lakes should try the Bridge! I have read some of the other reviews and would refute that the General Manager Steven is condescending I have always found Steven to be polite, friendly and very professional as are all the staff of the Bridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, Front Office Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for your review, and for taking the time sharing your experiences with us.

It was great seeing you both again, and I am delighted you enjoyed another stay - it is always a pleasure welcoming guests both regular and new. I have passed your comments on, and its always encouraging to hear praise for staff who have made your stay more enjoyable.

I look forward to seeing you again, and thank you again for the kind words.

Ray

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have just enjoyed a totally relaxing and wonderful week away at buttermere with our six year old son and seven month german shepherd Barney. The weather was awful but as ever buttermere was beautiful. We stayed in a lovely warm apartment with all necessary facilities and spent our days walking and then eating in the pub. All staff at this hotel are fantastic and very helpful. A special mention for Ray who is great and Attila who is an asset to your team and kept my son happy all week with his jokes and friendly professional manner. Bar food was lovely and can I just say they have the best puddings I have ever tasted. Loved our stay hope to see you again in summer, we have visited every year for the last fourteen so absolutely love this place, a piece of heaven. Thank you to all staff at the bridge.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear neilO and family,

Thank you for your great review of the recent stay in the Apartments. I am sure that Attila and Ray will have seen your very kind comments - I am blessed to have such a wonderful team with me here.

Yes, Hayley has been baking for us now for some 19 years and (as my belly size can testify) her puddings are just awesome home made goodness.

We really look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven and team

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had a 3 night stay at the Bridge this week and although the weather was very mixed (as you'd expect in February!) we did some excellent walks straight from the hotel, and the welcome from Atilla, Ray, Stephen and the rest of the team was always warm, professional and friendly.
The breakfasts were huge but delicious and although we didn't make use of it, we could have asked for a packed lunch to be made up for us. Drinks and dinner in the bar each night was relaxed and friendly, both from staff and visitors.
Our room was fabulous, we had room 18 which has a 4 poster bed, 2 armchairs, loads of space and a lovely deep bath for soaking in after a long walk.
We'd highly recommend a stay here, and we'll definitely be returning asap.

Room Tip: Room 18 was superb and has views from the windows of the fells and Sour Milk Ghyll.