“A must do while in NZ!!!”
Review of Milford Sound

Milford Sound
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Milford Sound Nature Cruise
Reviewed 18 May 2014

You have to see this place while you are in NZ. Just breathtaking!! Well worth the trip to see this beautiful place. Set amongst the lush rain forests. Make sure you take the boat ride out into the fiords to really enjoy Milford Sound. Beautiful experience!!

1  Thank Bobby31225
in 10 reviews
in 44 reviews
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Pay hundreds of extra dollars to go to Milford Sound, or book with Jucy Cruize. I saved $350 with Jucy. The difference between Jucy and the other companies is that you have to pack your own picnic food for the bus (5 hours out with photo stops; 4 hours back). I went into their town office late in the afternoon and booked it myself. Paying for flyover trip is iffy because if the weather closes in you will be put on a bus anyway. Note: free WiFi on this bus. Buy your picnic food in Queenstown not Te Anau (very little open in fall).
Definitely recommend going in April after Easter: kids there are back in school and fall weather was spectacular. Note: this review covers April 2013 not 2014. The only rain was in Milford Sound and two hours before our plane left. That said, we always had a raincoat handy and we took an umbrella. We never needed our bug repellent wipes. You won't need shorts or sandals in April, but you may need sunblock.
The driver was incredibly informative and very funny. Because it was off season the bus was not full and we all had plenty of room. I was the only American on the bus, so I made a lot of acquaintances from all over the world. There were sufficient stops for restrooms and for taking photos. Jucy Cruize has the last bus leaving Queenstown in the morning so we were the last boat on the water and saw almost no traffic going down and coming back. Plus, their driver picked me up right in front of my hotel! You will be traveling through an area where The Lord of the Rings was filmed. After we passed through the tunnel and into the big valley, there was a collective gasp on the bus. If you go, you will understand.
The boat ride was spectacular. Tea and beverages were available on board. I was glad it rained because hundreds of waterfalls appear only when it rains. If you plan on being on deck while the captain goes under a waterfall, bring a change of clothes - I'm not joking. Prior to Queenstown, we had also visited Auckland, Rotorua and Wellington. Queenstown and Milford were the perfect ending to a magical trip.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was on a cruise on Voyager of the Seas, during a fairly cold and wet journey into Milford Sound.
The rain during and for days before we undertook the excursion was, as it turned out, a mixed blessing, because waterfalls were cascading down the walls of this fjord for its whole length.
It's a truly beautiful place, even more majestic from sea level than from above.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Sailing into the Milford sound on a cruise liner must be seen to be believed. The 90,000 tonne Radiance of the Seas slowly whistled down the sound with the most amazing scenery including water falls,natural landscapes,rolling mountains and an airy feel of seclusion....the best

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I went on this excursion as we had read so much about the scenery in Milford Sound. Mitre Peaks bus picked us up on time and delivered us to the big bus ready for the two hour trip from Te Anau. Unfortunately for us the weather was against us (hence to score of three) I am just so glad that we had done the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise a couple of days before because if the Milford weather had been in our favour then the scenery would have been amazing as per the photos that you see but we had rain and low clouds.

The company can only take you there and show the sights if the weather allows, so the score is not a view of the company who were very good.

Be warned you might get to see what you expect