“Quirky Hotel Villa Belvedere”

Hotel Villa Belvedere
Nottingham, UK
“Quirky Hotel Villa Belvedere”
Reviewed 19 July 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere because we needed somewhere within striking distance of Pisa airport before we flew home. It is extremely convenient for the main Sienna-Firenze highway, being almost at the south junction of the main highway at Colle di Val d'Elsa, so I should not have been so suprised to find that its nearest neighbours were more industrial than buildings of ancient Tuscan origin.

The owner/waiter/barman/sweeper up after the pigeons speaks English, has a good sense of humour and and made us very welcome. I would describe the hotel as 'quirky'. It's seen better days and the Internet pictures are very flattering. I like staying in old places full of character so I loved the high rooms, antique furniture, painted ceilings and wide marble staircase. The pool was excellent in hot weather. Yes it would benefit from having a full time gardener/
handyman and tablecloths on the white plastic outside dining tables would make them much more inviting. The food was good, if not wildly exciting, and when we asked how to make a dish we were presented with a copy of the small recipe book they give out to those signing up for their cookery courses. I will try some of the dishes, although I think the ox spleen may be difficult to source.

Maybe next time I would not have the quick breakfast before we dashed off to the airport as for three of us it was 45 euros. But that's my fault for not realising that the room rate did not include breakfast

• Liked — The owner
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sunsunsun03

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Please stay here only if you're a student on a budget or an adult traveling on the cheap to experience a more bohemian lifestyle.

The property is filthy, smells like mold and the cooking school is a joke. Definitely not for serious travelers that want to enjoy the beauty of Italy up close and personal.

I am willing to be contact by you so i can share my personal experience, my detailed letter to the hotel of why i was so disappointed with them and some photos.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The neglect. The misrepresentation of the property on the website. The smell in the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hondurasjones

Travellers are raving about these Colle di Val d'Elsa hotels

winnipeg, manitoba
Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from Italy and our first stay at Villa Belvedere. Unfortunately, just before we arrived at the Villa I hurt one of my knees. I have two knee replacements and I had overdone it. Daniella and the rest of the staff went above and beyond....from making sure I had enough ice for my knee...to giving me extra pillows for my leg...and the topper was they knew we would have trouble with the language at the hospital....they sent someone who spoke english to be with us. We have stayed at many small inns but never at one with such caring people. We look forward to going back and staying at Viaa Belvedere again.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank rrothberg1
Toronto
Reviewed 7 September 2007

My husband and I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay after Florence. We had gone on some wine tasting excursions while in Florence and decided that we wanted to spend a couple of days out in the Tuscan country side, relax, experience beautiful views and slow down the pace a little. We found this place online and booked it...I was so excited.

Needless to say, my excitement was immediately deflated as we were approaching the property. This villa is adjacent to the main highway road. While relaxing at the pool (which seemed very nice) you would hear the traffic driving by. It is also very close to an industrial area...nothing like the Tuscan little getaway I was hoping to get.

The property has a lot of potential, but it looks as though no one has done anything with it. Despite it being supposedly full, it felt vacant and deserted.

After being shown two possible rooms that were available, which smelled as if no one has stayed in them for months if not more we decided to leave and find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank arado
PARIS
Reviewed 20 January 2007

I have been twice at this property and have very mixed feelings about it :

PROS:
- the location is very pleasant, the villa in itself is nice although not very well kept, tired and worn but could be part of its charm
- nice view, nice pool
- restaurant pleasant, food good, surrounding - especially if you are able in season to eat on the terrace - very nice

CONS:
- room extremely basic, not very clean
- bathroom even more basic .... certainly not adequate, offering extremely limited comfort ....
- staff not very pleasant, not rude or anything but lacking in "smile" and sense of "welcome" of the kind "you should be happy that you are allowed to stay here" ...
- road at night can be a bit dangerous, not recommended to have dinner and drinks at Colle Val d'Elsa and drive back
- quite expensive for what you get

ALL IN ALL THE HOTEL IS OVERPRICED ....

Stayed May 2005
7 Thank AESCH
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 April 2006

My 15 yr. old daughter and I booked 3 nights here through Expedia. It was just what I wanted and the price couldn't be beat. Perfect location, easy to get to, Sylvia was very helpful in giving us directions for sightseeing, and the staff was hospitable. We'll stay here again next time!

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 November 2005

This hotel is located in a perfect location: it is right off the highway and you can get to your destination points fairly conveniently. It takes 10 minutes on the highway to get to Siena, and about 30 minutes to get to Florence. You can also easily access the Chianti region from the hotel.

The hotel is very clean, cozy, with antique furniture. There is a garden outside. Although it's on the road it is not noisy (we were facing the garden). The food at the restaurant is good (get the fixed price menu: for 13 euros you will eat a feast!). For 6 euros you get a huge plate of desserts (plenty for two people). Breakfast was average (yogurt, croissants, cheese and ham, coffee, cereal). The hotel is cold at night though, so make sure to bring warm clothes with you (we went in early November). Staff were helpful and speak english.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank WorkToTravel123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colle di Val d'Elsa
Palazzo San Lorenzo Hotel & Spa
#5 of 10 in Colle di Val d'Elsa
Borgo San Luigi
Borgo San Luigi
#1 of 11 in Monteriggioni

Been to Hotel Villa Belvedere? Share your experiences!