“A great base in the Cotswolds, fab staff and great food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Three Ways House Hotel

Three Ways House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleton
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A great base in the Cotswolds, fab staff and great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend for three nights. It was a good platform from which to explore the Cotswolds - we hiked to Hidcote Gardens (beautiful) from here and from there down to Chipping Campden. We have a diabetic dog and the staff were wonderfully accommodating when it came to storing his insulin in a fridge. We ate in the bar restaurant on Good Friday (also has access to some of the excellent "Pudding Club" puddings) and the food was lovely. Saturday we went to one of the village pubs where the food was also very good. On the Sunday, we ate in the main restaurant and were both very impressed - particularly with pudding. If you're not aware (we weren't), they run a monthly (I think?) pudding club where the main course is very much a starter for what is followed by an almighty range of classic (and wonderfully tasty) British puddings - think sticky toffee pudding, jam roly poly etc. We didn't actually attend one of the sessions, but we did overhear the introductory speech and it sounds amazing. For pudding on the Sunday night I indulged in a combo of lemon pudding and golden syrup pudding, all accompanied with lashings of gorgeous custard. Continuing on the topic of food, a quick word on breakfast, although it was only a buffet-style service, the quality of the ingredients available for you to construct your own full English were top-notch. All of the highest standard and, from what I could tell, locally sourced too. No hesitation in recommending this place to anyone - especially anyone with a dog!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a really comprehensive review. It is great to know that you had a good short break with us and appreciated the quality of food and service provided. We do welcome dogs and provide a great welcome box for them. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Simon Coombe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a a lovely room and although the majority of our friends were delayed by traffic the evening was entirely enjoyable. We had booked 16 for The Pudding Club. We arrived mid afternoon and relaxed with a sandwich and a glass of wine before resting in our room before dinner. Our room appeared to have been newly renovated with TV, Bose Radio, wonderful bed and lovely carpet.
Main course with Dinner was unspectacular but the reasons for attending were the puddings and our Master of Ceremonies. Yours truly managed all 7, chose the winning Pudding and won the Raffle! All other tables quickly disappeared after formal proceedings ended and we were left to retire to the Bar.
Breakfast was substantial and we were in no way hurried to leave. All in all a wonderful stay and I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Themed rooms but book early
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted that you had a great birthday celebration at the Pudding Club. Thank you for your positive comments, I will pass them on to our team, I know they will appreciate it. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Many Thanks Simon Coombe
Weymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stopped off at the Three ways just by chance and what a treat it was . The staff are really friendly and the main hotel is amazing . My room was very spacious with are really nice bed and the room was really really clean , WOW ! For dinner that night I had the best wine I have tasted in years and the food was amazing ! Really can't recommend this place enough , if your passing just pop in and take a look . Very Happy ....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments, I will pass them on to all involved, we have a great team of staff and I know they will appreciate it. I hope that will visit again soon.
Simon Coombe
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was a really disappointing stay as I've known about this hotel for many years and had it planned as part of a well earned weekend away for me and my partner. Our first impressions were very favourable, we were shown to our room...pleasant enough but a bit small side with a small double bed but with a great view. We booked a table in Randall's Bar which we did as the restaurant looked a lot more formal than our mood and sat down for the Gastro Feast we'd been looking forward to. Now I don't drinl wine but my partner does and loves a glass of Merlot (£5.20) which was short measured by at least 5mm of the 175ml line on the glass. We just brushed that one off...but the next one was too and when I asked the waiter to top the glass up to the line and give a full measure he did...just! Without an apology. That then set my mind looking at the other measures we received...small portion of chips with our meals and just enough salad to make the bowl it came in to look half full. Don't get me wrong, the food is lovely...just stingy. I was really looking forward to the Sticky Toffee Pudding but again, a big dish with a small bowl and a small slice but with the right amount of custard. The following days breakfast again was top quality but an 8" plate was the smallest I've ever seen used in a hotel, which suggested that there was a limit on the food on offer. I had to ask for a bigger plate from the kitchen. All in all it's not the most generous of hotels IMO and maybe the owner should look at the short wine measures as for an eating and fine wine based hotel, this isn't good enough.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rory C
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Rory, I appreciate you taking the time to write a review, it is good to know that you liked your room and the view across the garden. I am sorry that you found it necessary to focus the majority of your comments on the volume of food and drink provided. We usually find that guests comment on our portions being too large, often not leaving enough room to fully enjoy a pudding. If someone does have a larger appetite and asks for more we would never say no, the last thing we would want is for someone to be hungry at the end of a meal. It is good to know that you appreciated the quality of the breakfast, with local butchers sausages and bacon, black pudding, field mushrooms along with the Hayles farm apple juice, locally baked bread and Kitchen Garden handmade preserves. We do like to focus on quality local produce, and again encourage guests to have as much or as little as they wish from the help yourself hot and cold buffet. I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your Easter break.
Kind regards Simon Coombe
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Three Ways House Hotel for two nightsone one of which was to join the pudding club. We stayed in Lord Randall's Room (24), which is quirky with lovely decor. The bath is just gorgeous and has molton brown products. The pudding club is a must! Lovely tradition and made very enjoyable by the host Simon. The breakfasts are filling and you can taste the quality of the foods. We also had dinner in the main restaurant on our second night which was fantastic. The staff are attentive, management present and overall we can't fault this lovely hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 55mith
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
I am glad you had a lovely Pudding Club break in Lord Randall's bed chamber and enjoyed the Pudding Club evening as well as dinner and breakfast. We do try and source as many food products from local suppliers as possible, it is nice to know they were appreciated. We have a great team of staff, I will pass on your appreciation.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

If you love chocolate, this is for you...... Welcomed with a hot chocolate and home made cookies. Followed by a chocolate cookery demonstration with lots of sampling by head chef Mark.
Three course lunch served on crisp white linen , superb service. Steve who looked after us was great very informative and helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate you taking the time to review your Chocoholic Experience. I will pass on your positive comments to Mark and Steve. I am glad you enjoyed this indulgent fun event. You must come and try the Pudding Club next time! We will be celebrating 30 years of The Pudding Club during the whole of 2015.
Thanks
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent a wonderful two days here celebrating our anniversary with family and friends. The Hotel is spotless, all the rooms were excellent and the location perfect. The Pudding Club was a joy and our grand children were delighted by the quality of the puddings. The breakfast's were, without a doubt, the best we had had in any Hotel in the UK. For our family dinner the setting was perfect and the standard of food and quality of service was of the highest order. The staff were a happy, attentive,unobtrusive team who ensured our visit was special. All 15 of our party left with fantastic memories to look back on.
Tony H

Room Tip: For a large family the superior room is superb
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that your family and friends had a superb time at the hotel, I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to everyone involved in helping to make the weekend memorable.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.
Many Thanks
Simon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleton
Charingworth Manor
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Three Ways House Hotel? Share your experiences!