“Great guides”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great guides”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Guides are brilliant and very knowledgeable.
Their training goes beyond the whale trail and details the microbiological organisms that live in de hoop from star fish, squid and clams to sea urchins and corals

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tamsin_Mullins

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“WOW - What awesome service!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As far as the Whale Trail goes – if you enjoy hiking and are even marginally fit, you will be able to do this trail – and you should! The sites are amazing, the accommodation comfortable (in relation to most hikes I’ve done) but the people are amazing. I need to give a special word of thanks to Robin of Cape Nature who went out of his way (after hours) not once but twice to assist me due to my own mess I had created – arriving a day late and then losing my car keys (which he then found and will personally deliver to me when in Cape Town next) – you can’t ask for more than that! Always with a smile. Thank you to Robin and the staff of Cape Nature and De Hoop Nature Reserve for everything.

Visited August 2014
Bergen, Norway
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Exciting”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is an interesting area to visit when at De Hoop. We were told that the whales are floating between 8am in the morning until 9am. However, we went late but caught a glimpse of three whales floating for about 20 or less minutes. I recommend.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Odhiambo O
Cape Town, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My Husband and I just completed the Whale Trail and found it to be a once in a lifetime experience!

As a South African and Capetonian it is fair to say that we are happy to travel half way round the world to find great nature experiences, but often overlook the gems sitting in our back yard.

The Whale Trail is a well organized nature adventure less than 4 hours away from Cape Town. The trail is currently only 4 days as Noetsie's cottage is being renovated which makes the first two days of the hike a little long, but still worth it.

A few things to note, even if you are using a travel agent, it is best to talk to the Cape Nature booking office when making travel plans as they are best equipped to give you all the latest information available on the trip. The trip is officially run by Cape Nature.

I have read previous comments on trip advisor about poor maintenance of the cottages, but we certainly did not find this to be the case AT ALL. On the opposite the cottages, were clean, well maintained and had all the necessary facilities to make the journey comfortable, we were also given access to the guides personal numbers in case something was lacking.

I have hiked in many countries in the world and the standard of the overnight cottages here are far above those in other first world environments like New Zealand and Australia. The cottages provide all necessary cooking gear and wood for fires, however be sure to bring your own wine opener.

Some have complained that the cottages can get a bit cramped with 12 persons, depending on your standards, this can be true but remember that you can book the trail for 6 or 12 persons and if you are looking for extra space then it would be best to book for 12 persons.

There is limited reception and you are able to charge your phone at the second and last nights overnight cottages.

One very sad thing was to see the effect of deep sea trash dumping on beeches and all hikers are really encouraged on the last two days to walk with plastic bags to assist in picking up trash (mainly plastic bottles) that are washed up on shore.

Although the weather can be volatile it was great to walk in winter as summers can be very hot and bring with them some horse flies and the occasional snake on the mountain path. The Whales are also most bountiful from July to end October.

In general the task that Cape Nature has in trying to preserve our natural heritage is a big task and I am proud of there work around the province in general and this trail is a great way to see that work and experience our heritage.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank CYazbek
Cape Town
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing experience but maintenance an issue”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have just completed my 5th trail and loved it BUT.....the trail itself is poorly maintained and so are the cottages! I have never seen it in such a state!

We phoned to get more gas, but it never arrived, The signage on the trail and in the accommodation is seriously lacking.

At Noetzie they have crammed 3 bunk beds into cottages that should only have 2. No signage indicated that the vacated room leaks like crazy so we were rudely awoken by flooding in the middle of the night.

The paths are overgrown in places and whilst we were warned to be on the lookout for snakes, we were never sure that they weren't lurking under bushes that we had to walk through. Erosion on the inland section was severe and many of the wooden poles used to protect the paths were broken, as were ladders along the coastal section.

Instead of the "white footprint" to indicate direction, there were bits of plastic tape tied to the vegetation, and most of the mileage signage had disappeared.

The cottages are clean and well equipped but most need a lick of paint and repair to woodwork and thatch. Portage is efficient and they will pick up bits that you may have left unpacked.

Come on Cape Nature!!! This trail is such a gem! Don't annoy hikers but these seemingly small issues that can be very easily resolved!!

Visited October 2013