“Nice but could do better”

The Vedas - Todmorden
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Todmorden
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Some five thousand years ago, the sages of India discovered the medicinal properties of various roots, bark, leaves, seeds and flowers. They were the first to formalize and systemize the effects and usage of these ingredients. Natural human reluctance to accept these dictates forced the sages to incorporate these instructions into the Holy Indian Scriptures, the Vedas. Once these instructions were given a religious bias they were more readily accepted into the Indian way of life. Situated in an imposing building, the Vedas presents its guests with exemplary service and imaginative contemporary cooking. Seating up to 130 guests, it offers an environment of spaciousness and intimacy in a stylish atmosphere. Offering Urban Indian Cuisine with distinctive Modern English and European flair, complemented by the finest wines, the menu is designed to appeal to even the most ardent of connoisseurs. The lounge is an informal, yet classy environment, which can be used before or after the fine dining. Designed to appeal to those who wish to relax in style, it comprises leather armchairs, low tables and an extensive array of wines, beers and spirits. We hope that you enjoy your visit to the Vedas, and hope to be of service to you once again in the near future. The Vedas is available for private parties and functions, so please discuss any requirements with us. As valued patrons please do not hesitate to contact us with any suggestions, ideas for improvements or comments that you may wish to make.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked table for fathers day for 5.30 looked on website no mention that sun-thurs meal deal not available just stated not available on bank holidays as far as I know fathers day not a bank holiday .
Got to vedas started ordering of meal deal menu then informed not avalible because was fathers day as stated before no mention of this on website and no posters in window .
Food and staff were lovley .
We went with our 16mth daughter who was very well behaved and enjoyed the ice cream .
But as babys do need changing went to lady's toilets very nice but no changing facilities thought oh try disabled toilet as alot of changing facilities are now put there . Yet again lovley large clean toilet plenty of room for a small changing facility. Had to change daughters nappy on cold tiled floor not a happy baby.
This is obviously a family resturant lots of people with children in when we were when you have small children things like this matter .would put us off going again as this facility not avalible most pub restaurants how ever small provide changing facilities this was a suprise being such a modern resturant it would probably cost less than one hundred pounds to install one of those fold down changing units was plenty of room for one .

1  Thank rebnic35
Vedas_Tod, Owner at The Vedas - Todmorden, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi rebecca

Thank you for your comments. Whilst you were satisfied with the food, staff and general ambience of the restaurant, i would like to apologise for the other aspects that you weren't happy with and hopefully address your concerns. I have already replied to your concerns on facebook but will address then again here as you have publicly stated them.

I do apologise for the mix up regarding the set menus. The set menus do not apply to bank hols, special days such as mothers day, new years eve, valentine's and of course bank holidays. This has always been the case, and as over 90% of our diners are regulars this is well known and we maybe have become complacent over the years, i apologise and will ensure that this is addressed.

Your concern with the changing facilities is well placed and i agree we should have provided as such. In all honesty, to this day no one has asked for one, and out customers know that we look to address all concerns and requirements as best we can. As mentioned to you earlier, now that it has been bought up, albeit for the first time, of course it will be addressed, and we will be installing a changer to help future customers.

I hope that this helps your concerns and does not stop you from returning as you clearly enjoyed the food and service. Thanks again for your comments, it only helps us make the place better for our customers.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Went to Vedas on a Saturday evening when the restaurant was quite busy but the service was good and the food great and very good value.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Although the night my friends and I went, it was extremely busy with two big parties in at the time, I loved the food and found most of the staff very friendly. The only thing that let down my night was the speed of the service from the young waiter assigned to our table. Sadly, the recently updated decor and wonderful food was overshadowed by the hour and a half wait for our food to arrive. Not only did the young lad take almost half an hour to take our drink orders, he bought all our drinks but one and even though I prompted him twice, I had to ask the manager for the drink requested. After that, he seemed to have an attitude with us so we asked for another waiter, who I must admit was most courteous.

Sadly, I would love to give this restaurant five stars but because of our experience I will have to award 4. I would recommend Vedas if you enjoy a warm and friendly atmosphere, trendy modern decor and great food.

Vedas_Tod, Owner at The Vedas - Todmorden, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi

Thank you for your comments. Whilst you enjoyed most of it, please accept my apologies for the little that you didn't.

On the night in question, as you correctly stated, there was 2 very large parties both in excess of 25 people each. Both tables did not want to pre order, which meant we cooked over 50 individual meals at roughly the same time, and caused the delay to your table.

The waiter, as you may have picked up, is new, and works part time. This is his first job and hence still hasn't got a grasp of things. I knew that there was some issues with your table and had a talk with him later that evening. I've also asked the other staff to make sure he is learning what he needs to do. Of course this does not excuse what happened with your table and I can only offer my apologies, and a drink on me when you next come in!!

I hope that this does not detract you from coming back, considering that you enjoyed the atmosphere and the food, and that you put this aspect down to new staff and just how incredibly busy it got. I do appreciate that I could get experienced part time staff, and whilst the remainder of my staff have years of experience, i do like to help young people get a start in experiencing work!

Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

An excellent meal in lovely surroundings. This restaurant was flooded quite badly last summer and was closed for quite a time. The refurbishment is very tasteful and relaxing.

The food was delicious and there was plenty of choice. The service was excellent. We will definitely be going again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Wow was absolutely blown away by the amazing decor. Food was lovely and staff very friendly. Keep up the good work guys :)