“A nice evening”
Review of Shepherds Rest

Shepherds Rest
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Todmorden
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had dinner here with a friend and her mum one Sunday evening.
A nice meal good sized portion. I had fish pie, which i can highly recommend. Full of flavour, nice surroundings and a great view!

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

All I can say is very poor service and even poorer food.

Drive past and go another mile up the road and you will find a Fantastic Pub.

2  Thank Simon A
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My uncle booked for 2 people, and they reserved a table for 5- lucky it wasn't the other way around!

Selection could have been better, and would have been lovely to see some more local fare, like something with Yorkshire Pudding on the menu. I had trouble picking from a selection of fairly average sounding meals.

I ordered the beef stroganoff, which was passable, even though the meat was dry. For my drink (from the section 'Cider, Perry and Fruits) I asked the waitress which ones were Perry and which which be closest to a traditional variety, as I had never tried it, and wanted to before I left England. The waitress said she did not know, and asked 'if I wanted her to check'! After returning she listed two from the menu, and I chose one. When it arrived it was the one I selected, but clearly was not Perry, as it was clearly labeled as a 'Cider' and made from apples, which images of apples on the bottle (Perry is made from pears).

The waitress seemed very unconfident at all stages of service.

1  Thank lindasueba
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

So after having a great meal here a few weeks ago we decide to choose this as the venue for my daughters birthday meal, inviting family that had travelled for 2 hours. Big mistake. Completely incompetent staff who rather than own up to their mistakes choose to lie their way out of a situation. Not great under pressure, huge delays with food. Would definitely not recommend this place and suggest you carry on up the road to the Top Brink - been going there for years, never let's you down.

3  Thank Lubella2
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have been going here for 5 years and after our last visit will not go again. The menu has changed considerably over the last few months and is quite limited in comparison now. I appreciate this is a business decision although a staff member told me the customers complained there was too much choice which was why they changed! The location is great with lovely views, the staff are helpful and friendly but the quality of the food has declined and the people at the next table told us before we ate they were disappointed and would be interested in our opinion. The cheesy garlic bread was soft and floppy and not crisp as I would expect of garlic bread. The Hunters chicken came with saute potatoes which had seen the inside of a frying pan but only just and had not carmelised at all so not browned and were pale and anaemic. The vegetables were floppy and dehydrated, the person who came to discuss our issues was reasonable and explained that they had been experimenting with marinading and roasting the veg but the green beans and carrots had completely dried out in the oven and were inedible. The cost of the garlic bread was removed from the bil but nothing else was offered despite the server admitting the meal was not up to standard. This is a real shame as it used to be one of our favourite places with a great menu and excellent food, it is average now and there are considerably better places with better quality food and cooking. We were also asked to leave feedback which we did but are unlikely to return when we can go elsewhere and not be disappointed. There was a very young man waiting tables who was excellent, friendly, helpful and used his initiative and has a great career ahead of him.