“No gastro-Giant but as good as most of the Rest”
Review of The Giants Rest

The Giants Rest
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Lunch in deepest Wilmington, near the famous Long Man, on a nice sunny Sunday so we took our dog knowing he would be allowed in. But in the eventthere were too many others plus small childs for peace of mind (he's a feisty terrier, you know). So he was left in the car but, luckily, ordering and service was quite fast which was a suprise as when we had booked the lady told us that if we wanted 1 pm indoors it would be a case of squeezing us in. Lo and behold we were pointed to a tiny table for two that clearly was placed as an adendem in what was almost a passageway. A bit strange because when we arrived on time there were very few tables occupied around us although during the meal diners did start to come flowing in (walkers mainly). I ordered a rabbit, bacon and prune pie with two roast potatoes and veg from a varied menu (the specials on the board were a bit expensive) which was a good choice. Nice pastry and well stocked although, flavour-wise, the rabbit was somewhat overwhelmed by the multiple prunes. Nice idea, though. My wife was not so lucky. She went for chicken supreme but it seemed to be without sauce of any kind and was apparently a tad "rubbery" and, she said, reheated. Overall, a little overpriced I would say but pleasant enough atmosphere. I had been a bit wary having read about the "unhappy, disinterested" (head ?) waitress in a previous review. The lady who appeared to be in charge clearly was a woman of substance but friendly enough once I told her I had enjoyed the food. My wife was in the ladies (very clean facilities) at the time but returned to order a dessert (I'm too fat for that) which turned out to be a highlight. It was a walnut-topped apple crumbly-type thingy brought by a cheerful chap who thoughtfully supplied extra custard upon request. The pub is in a quiet lane just off the A27 and on a sunny day was an attractive venue. Might go back some time. I would give it a "Good" rating if there were such a thing on TA whom I wish would please think about providing one for places that are just short of "Very Good" but better than "Average".

Room Tip: Book early ! They seem to believe they will be inundated every Sunday from now to the end of summer.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank piercewilliam991

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We ate here following a visit to the zoo with our daughter. The barmaid was really unhelpful and very unhappy. The food redeemed our experience though as it was excellent. Would recommend food but not service.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank HawtinWales
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I always enjoy a trip to the Giant's Rest. It has changed hands a few times over the years, but I can say that it is in good hands again. The food is consistently good, the service friendly, and the local beers excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Good quality pub food. Very cosy and good atmosphere, bonus as they allow dogs. Went as quite a large group and had no issues in having to wait too long for food. Did not stay here the night so can't comment on B&B side, however it is quite close to a main road.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Had another good meal, very fresh fish, quick very friendly service, very good portions of local fresh veg, Great to be able to walk to your local and meet friends, not even been there a year yet, and managed to get over the inevitable teething problems when taking over a business. Only had a short time to eat as had another appointment, but it was no bother at all and served the food with a smile, highly recommended to all that come to our wonderful village of Wilmington.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank local4ever
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for two nights 2nd & 3rd July. My twin room was far bigger than you would expect, complete with coffee table and three easy chairs. The bathroom, which was across the landing had both a separate shower as well as a very welcoming bath. All very clean. The beer from the local Long Man Brewery was excellent. The bar/restaurant food was also very good. I had belly of pork on my first night and an excellent grilled sea bream. Both were served with a selection of seasonal vegetables. The full English breakfast was also first rate, the perfect set up for a strenuous day cycling/walking.

Christophe and Kathryn, along with their staff were most welcoming and made my stay all the more enjoyable. I have every intention of returning at some stage.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A large group of friends/family went here today for lunch. It was very pleasant. The staff were friendly, the food was very good and the surroundings (both inside the pub and outside) were nice. We hope to return in the future... Also the price of the dishes were goof value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Been to The Giants Rest? Share your experiences!