“A Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Who would have known that this gem was hiding just down the road from me this entire time?
One visit here had it almost topping my lists of best pub meals I have had, and will be visiting as often as I can.
Never thought before of coming here for a meal until a family member recommended visiting after they had been for a Sunday lunch one time.
Had the 24oz. steak which was cooked perfect to my taste, sided with thick home made chips, onion rings, peas and salad.
Prices also surprisingly low, food was great value!
The only fault I could find was that the service seemed a little slow, however this is expected of a family run place with few staff.
The host was very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.
Also tested out the gammon dish (with egg and chips) which was equally pleasing.
Looking forward to my next visit to test myself with a 32oz. steak.

• Visited December 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Needs improving”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Called into the Alma for a quick meal whilst on our travels. Very tired place, feels neglected and a bit desolate, however it was a Saturday lunchtime. On arrival we were made welcome, but pub was cold and plastic dark green tablecloths! This set alarm bells off, but thought we would give them a chance.

My husbands meal was ok - gammon and the rest, but my order of fish and chips brought the fish uncooked, raw and cold in the middle! It didn't taste of home battered fish either, more frozen from a packet. Chips ok, but tasted of dirty fat, perhaps the fryer needed an oil change. The meal was taken away quickly with apologies and offer of another meal, but wasn't going to risk it. No further apology on settling the bill. Perhaps an offer of a complimentary drink may have helped.

On the beam in the lounge you are invited to post on Tripadvisor, and I have. I think if they want customers to do this it may be better if they can cook safe meals, and have a little bit more humility when they get it wrong. Won't be giving them another chance.

• Visited March 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“50/50”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Breaded mushroom starters ok.
Lasgane - really nice
Steak - didn't appear or taste fried but oven baked and well over cooked for medium rare.
The whole meal just didn't seem like any care had been taken in its preparation.

Decor and table settings outdated and 'left over from christmas'.

Bar prices - very good.

Visited March 2014
“Best value Sunday lunch around”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Perfectly cooked sprouts - great to find a home cooked pub meal - Sunday much for two and a bottle of wine less than twenty quid - great!! Oh yes we will be back

• Visited February 2014
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely people”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We went on our way home and since we both wanted a steak and after reading TripAdvisor, we arrived at The Alma.

The welcome was lovely. Warm and welcoming is the easiest description.

Took our drinks, ordered our steaks, medium rare and waited.

The first thing that grabs you the meal arrived was the portion sizes...generous on the chips, a little sparse on the salad and onion rings. Less of the former, more of the latter for me.

My wife ordered the 8oz rump and greedy guts here, the 24oz both requested they be cooked medium rare. My wife's was cooked well though the meat itself had quite a lot of fat running through. Mine in the other hand was largely ok. My steak though, given that the steak wasn't an even thickness saw some sections over cooked for my preference whilst other parts were more medium than medium rare.

It would be unfair to suggest that we wouldn't go back since two or more visits are needed to present a balanced perspective.

In summary, friendly folks but pay a little more attention to how you cook your steaks. Oh! And more onion rings please. :)