“Cracking pub ”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Great choice of real ales and lagers, not just the usual stuff but the smaller breweries also. Nice home made food, regularly bring my two year old in for our dinners. Very nice welcoming hosts too. Nicest pub in the area.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

went last weekend for one night. hosts were great made you feel very welcome. we only had breakfast which was very nice and tasty well worth the money. our room was very clean and spacious we had a very comfortable night. we will go again that is for sure. overall a very enjoyable stay and very reasonably priced and thank you to both of you for making us feel very welcome.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went for an afternoon on Easter Sunday for a few drinks, then decided to have something to eat after looking at the menu. Very good food, ample portions. Good choice of real ale. My only critisism is that the actual pub, though very nice is just a tad 1980's inside, but has been like this since 2006 when i moved to the area, maybe just a cosmetic refurb, but over-all, extremely good.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Who would have known that this gem was hiding just down the road from me this entire time?
One visit here had it almost topping my lists of best pub meals I have had, and will be visiting as often as I can.
Never thought before of coming here for a meal until a family member recommended visiting after they had been for a Sunday lunch one time.
Had the 24oz. steak which was cooked perfect to my taste, sided with thick home made chips, onion rings, peas and salad.
Prices also surprisingly low, food was great value!
The only fault I could find was that the service seemed a little slow, however this is expected of a family run place with few staff.
The host was very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.
Also tested out the gammon dish (with egg and chips) which was equally pleasing.
Looking forward to my next visit to test myself with a 32oz. steak.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Called into the Alma for a quick meal whilst on our travels. Very tired place, feels neglected and a bit desolate, however it was a Saturday lunchtime. On arrival we were made welcome, but pub was cold and plastic dark green tablecloths! This set alarm bells off, but thought we would give them a chance.

My husbands meal was ok - gammon and the rest, but my order of fish and chips brought the fish uncooked, raw and cold in the middle! It didn't taste of home battered fish either, more frozen from a packet. Chips ok, but tasted of dirty fat, perhaps the fryer needed an oil change. The meal was taken away quickly with apologies and offer of another meal, but wasn't going to risk it. No further apology on settling the bill. Perhaps an offer of a complimentary drink may have helped.

On the beam in the lounge you are invited to post on Tripadvisor, and I have. I think if they want customers to do this it may be better if they can cook safe meals, and have a little bit more humility when they get it wrong. Won't be giving them another chance.