“A great alternative to the usual low cost travel options”

Woolpack Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dewsbury
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over the weekend, we were looking for somewhere reasonably priced to include breakfast in an out of town setting as an alternative to the usual travel chain options, which is exactly what is on offer. The Woolpack Inn sells its self a traditional country Inn which it sort of is, all be it with a more of a modern take on it rather than your oldie world pub experience, so more of a country pub feel about it. The rooms are set to the side of the pub in a more recent building, our room was large, modern with views overlooking the fields across to the moors and overall was quiet with very little noise from the pub or country road. The bathrooms are rather plain but overall the rooms and experience is good. The staff were very helpful and welcoming on arrival and the breakfast was excellent in terms of quality, options and level of service.
For the price it makes a good alternative to the usual lower cost travel options.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DES32
There are newer reviews for Woolpack Country Inn

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed for two nights in the disabled room as that was the only one available for the dates of our visit it West Yorkshire. Our check in was swift and pleasant as we needed to be out again quickly .The facilities on offer in the bathroom for this purpose were very good. We returned later that afternoon and spent a longtime relaxed in the bar on the comfy sofa with a good bottle of wine as we had planned to eat in the restaurant that evening. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely home cooked meal with plenty of choice and fresh veg. Breakfast was also good and our needs catered for. We had enjoyed our evening meal so much that we ate there again the next day having the Sunday roast which was really tasty and generous. If you want a stop off in West Yorkshire you can't go far wrong with the Woolpack.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 5 September 2013

PLEASE read this carefully as it could save you a lot of money!
I booked my room through Booking.com three months in advance. I phoned them asking for conformation of my booking 4 days before I was due to be staying with them and was told that no booking had been made in my name. I asked them to double check and was told that there was definitely no booking made. I then had to make alternative arrangements and pay for a different hotel.
I then received a call the night that I was supposed to have stayed there to ask where I was and why I had not checked in. I explained that when I had called to check I was told that no booking had been made and so I had made other arrangements.
The Woolpack did not believe what I was telling them and the member of staff that I spoke to would not admit that I had called to check the booking and I have now been charged the full price of the room, which was £69 and they have refused to refund us or reason with us.
If you do book to stay here make sure that you get the name, shoe size and home address of the person you speak too ... just in case !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank bethan g
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We only stayed 2 nights, clean, comfortable, good staff, good food. We would stay again. The guinea pigs were a hit with our 5 year old.
Spacious family room, on the road but not busy at night- the only thing was the squeaky floor above....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nina G
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The two big pluses for this establishment are the friendly service and the accommodation itself. W were greeted by a very friendly young man who booked us in and showed us to our room. This friendly service continued throughout our stay. We stayed in the family room which comfortably housed a double and two single beds. Many places shoe-horn in extra beds but this was very spacious. The room was very clean and tidy and totally met our needs. Breakfast was freshly cooked and by enjoyable.

This inn proved that you don't have to be a city centre four star hotel to be able to provide an excellent stay - service is king and this place has it in spades.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank John C
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed for two nights, as it was close to dewsbury. Room was outside pub, quiet and clean . Nothing flash. Good basic pub food, not overpriced. Staff friendly.and accessible my pet peeve however shower over bath,needed to be a gymnast to get into it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary R
Reviewed 29 July 2013

why is this place not packed to the rafters........
we stayed here on a friday night as a last min booking.
we arrived quite late and was shown to our room by a really nice guy that was on the bar. we were surprised by the room as it had its own access in the little court yard. the room was dated but clean and had everything we needed.
friday night is steak night 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25 absolute bargain. i had a steak which was cooked perfect and hubby had the chicken which was beautifully cooked.
fully cooked english breakfast was good too. the guys that were serving were very polite and friendly, food was very good, yes i would stay again as the service and food made up for the tired rooms

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mandz2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dewsbury
Heath Cottage Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove

Been to Woolpack Country Inn? Share your experiences!