“Friendly, Good location!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dewsbury
Orlando
“Friendly, Good location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Found this hotel close to Barnsley, room was clean and comfortable, food was excellent. Price very reasonable. Great location for Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

We had a lovely meal at the hotel on Saturday night but there was just one lad, very helpful and friendly working, checking people in, serving at the bar, taking dinner orders, serving food, clearing tables. My did he work his socks off. Not his fault but the wait for the food really was not acceptable. Apparently only one person in the kitchen too.

Lad was there again in the morning for breakfast, which was lovely.

Only other comment would make is TV was so tiny, smaller than our laptop!!

Room Tip: Free wi fi in public places, plenty of parking, in small town
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Having stayed here before for one night I decided to stay for three nights as I work in this part of the world four days a week I like to try different places until I found the right one on a more permanent basis. I won't repeat the content of my previous review as nothing has changed in that respect. However in my room this time there was no proper towel rail – the brackets were there though – however there was a towel ring on the back of the door. The handrail on the stairs was loose and that does need attention. There is also a constant noise from a pump when someone uses water in their room which is a bit annoying at 6 in the morning! My major comment though is that when I went down for dinner at around 8 I was disappointed to hear that the kitchen is closed on Monday and Tuesday evenings which meant that I had to drive a couple of miles to eat which is not ideal. Whether this closure is all the year round I don’t know but may be worth checking before you book. (I stayed in April). As I am away Monday – Wednesday, it seems unlikely that I’ll be back only for that reason. However as a place to stay its comfortable enough, the staff was friendly and the quality of the food is OK. A little bit of TLC around the place wouldn’t go amiss. Wi-Fi is poor to non-existent in the rooms and this could also be addressed and on more than one occasion the signal on the TV disappears when changing channel – this may be due to location/dish installation but that’s for someone else to look at.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan R
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a charming Pub/Guest House about 15 minutes from the motorway. The setting is gorgeous in the midst of green fields and hills. The pub is vey welcoming, warm and inviting. A good choice of ales and bar food mean there is plenty of choice. The staff are friendly and polite. The place is spotless and well maintained. Bedrooms are quaint iand homely. I had a great nights sleep in a very comfortable mouth basic room.i would say it is a good three star hotel. However where it comes into its own is the food. The evening meals are varied affordable and delicious. The breakfast was fantastic. A great range of choices. The full English was one of the best I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel has a rural location, not a lot else around. We booked two double rooms for one night @ £70 per room, incl breakfast. On arrival we were kept waiting 10 minutes in the pub (which was almost empty) with our luggage before anyone even acknowledged our presence! No apology or warm welcome here! our rooms were located in a block at the back of the pub, both our rooms desperately needed airing, smelled very musty (don't worry, you get used to it after 10 minutes). Several aspects of the rooms in total disrepair - some quite dangerous (ie: hand rail going upstairs almost hanging off wall!). The TV in our room (rm 9) was only slightly larger than my iPad (seriously)! that wasn't an issue, but it did make me wonder "why bother" ..My biggest gripe was the beds! I felt like I was living an episode of the Flintstones. The beds were as hard as stone! aside from the beds, there was the pulsating noise of a water pump every time anyone (I mean any one in our accommodation block, not just our room!) used water (toilet, sink, shower, etc), OMG it went on and one... it drove us insane! We requested a change of rooms and they switched us to a twin, sadly, that room was no better all . All four of us woke with back pain after a terrible nights sleep. Breakfast very basic and very greasy. All in all a dreadful place to stay, My recommendation is stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Darren_UK0807
Rob E, Manager at Woolpack Country Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read how you found your experience here at the Woolpack, I therefore apologise. We genuinely pride ourselves on customer satisfaction which is reflected on the hotels rating. I believe both myself and the rest of the team here are nothing but courteous to all guests at all times, which again is reflected in our reviews. I'm only sorry that you did not have the experience that many other guest have had with us. Apologies again.

Rob
Woolpack Inn
Thundersley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were only passing through, but were so glad to stay out in the countryside rather than in city hotel or chain. It felt to me that this was a family place, and I appreciated the helpfulness of everyone on staff. Because I'm interested in the history of the area, I spent time looking at the old pictures that hung on the walls of the dining room and was able to get a sense of its past.
Our en-suite room was clean and quiet, perfectly adequate. The wi fi signal was not strong, but that would have been my only complaint.
Our meals were great -- my pork belly was crispy and succulent and my husband seemed to enjoy his burger. Breakfast was hot and plentiful, perfectly cooked.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kyustendil, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is not based on the fact that it is a 5 star hotel, just that for me it was excellent! I enjoyed that it was not a chain hotel, that the location was in the countryside and quiet, that the service was kind and extremely friendly. Rob is incredibly helpful and nice! The room was fine, the bed ok, but the experience of it all is what made it fantastic. We only had an appetizer in the restaurant (mushrooms) one evening, so I can't speak a ton about the evening food, however the breakfast was outstanding! To add, this was also cheaper than most chain hotels. Can't wait to return one day! Booked on booking.com for 40 quid including a great full English breakfast....amazing! (As other reviewers have stated, the tv was about 13 in. which was pretty funny and wifi was only in the restaurant...didn't care though overall).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dee Dee G
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My room was located in a block at the back of the pub and I was pleasantly surprised that the décor was nice and modern. The room was a nice size and comfortable and the en-suite was in keeping with the rest of the room. Two minor points though – the garment hangers were ex shop ones and only one had a cross bar to hang trousers which was inconvenient. The second point is that the TV was one of the smallest I have seen – not sure what size but 15 or 17 inch at max. This seemed to me to be a bit of cutting corners. The bar/restaurant was as you would expect from a country pub and the food whilst basic was freshly cooked and good to eat. Unless you have a huge appetite avoid the mixed grill - it was huge ! and tasty !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dewsbury
Heath Cottage Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gomersal
Metro Inns Huddersfield
Metro Inns Huddersfield
#16 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to Woolpack Country Inn? Share your experiences!