“I would eat here for every meal for the rest of my life!”

Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Description: Prashad is an award winning Indian vegetarian restaurant in the heart of West Yorkshire. It is based in a renovated pub building in Drighlington, which has been transformed into an intimate and vibrant Gujarati eaterie. It features a large bar area where the in-house mixologist serves up perfectly-matched cocktails, locally-brewed beers and wines with roadside snacks and Indian tapas. There are three different dining areas and a snug that can be individually booked for private parties. The open pass kitchen brings the passionate Head Chef and her team closer to the customers. In the last 12 months alone we have been awarded the Morrisons Magazine Great Grub Award 2013, the Yorkshire Life Chef of the Year 2013 (which Minal and Kaushy won jointly), the Michelin Guide Bib Gourmand 2014, and the Yorkshire Evening Post Oliver Awards Best Indian Restaurant 2014!
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“I would eat here for every meal for the rest of my life!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been eating at Prashaads for a couple fo years now - The first time I went was at the old place in Bradford, and I've loved it ever since! Even if it took my husband 6 months to get me through the door, the 'vegeterain experience' didnt appeal. But now I can safely say I actually prefer eating with no meat!

I dont know why it has taken me so long to write a review! My husband has wrote a couple on my behalf....

We always get a happy reception when walking through the door and are seated extremely quickly even if the restaraunt is packed! I'm not sure how they manage sometimes! Straight away we are asked if we would like any drinks and within a couple of minutes I have my Kingfisher Beer and a bowl of Poppadoms :) sat in a beautifully decorated room. Is it stupid to say I even like the plates...!!

I have the sharing platter everytime, because if I picked one I would feel like I was missing out on another!! And I think I've probably had every main on the menu! I would agree with Gordon Ramsay I believe the Chole is my favourite too.

I'm always stuffed when I leave here, thats for certain! We try curb our craving to come to Prashads or we would end up here every weekend, which might not be too kind to the waistline!

I hate to bring it up but, I would mention my absolute shock to see a number of bad reviews on here. I had to read them all, because I was certain it was a mistake! Most have obviously never even been to Prashads as the description of their experience is just not realistic. I am actually pretty mad about them!! So if anyone is put off by them PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not let them stop you having one of the best 'foodie' experiences you will have!

To Summarise :
ALL staff are friendly and attentive, and know absolutley everything about the food they serve.
The Restaurant is done out fantastically and in a way to represent the culture of the food you're eating! It looks great with attention to detail and everything is new!
Last but of course not least - The food is the best food I have ever eaten! And it's to the same high standard everytime.

Thanks to Bobby, Kaushy and the rest of the team! - Dont ever stop cooking!!

• Visited June 2014
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
HI Laura, wow wow wow, we are all thrilled to read your review, thank you for taking the time to share so comprehensively how we make you feel. We naturally love what you have written and are humbled that you love us so much, hope we continue to see you and look forward to serving you another tasting platter very soon….Bobby

• Indonesian first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“One of the best!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Twelve of us event for dinner last night. Car Park and Restaurant were both packed but we were quickly seated and soon tucking into Poppadums and delicious vegetarian relishes. Having difficulty deciding, most of us went for the Thali which consisted of soup, two starters, two curries, rice, rotis and a dessert. Most of the Thalis were different so we had the opportunity to share. One friend had the Dosa which was huge! The food was fresh and vibrant with each ingredient asserting itself throughout the meal. We were all stuffed at the end of the meal! Not cheap, KingFisher lager was £3.95 per pint and the Thali £15 but it is a superb place to visit for a special occasion. Children are also catered for with their own menu.

• Visited June 2014
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hi Tim, thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience with us, so pleased to read that we were able to impress you and your friends. Our thali is very popular, Minal always makes sure that she always focusses on variety when many thali's are ordered. We look forward to serving you again soon…..Bobby
Leeds
“Fantastic flavours, top quality food”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We visited Prashad following recommendations from friends and reading Tripadvisor reviews - we were not disappointed. We visited at 5.3pm on a Wednesday (on our way home) and the restaurant was filling up by the time we left - we had noticed how busy the car park gets on several drives past - so I would recommend booking.
We are not vegetarians, but can confidently say this was one of the best restaurant meals we've ever had. The flavours were fantastic, the quality of the ingredients shone through and the food was very filling - I wish we could have sampled the whole menu! We had the Tasting Platter to start, which was more than plenty for two and had a variety of the starters from the menu. Particularly good was the stuffed chilli peper and the sauce that came with the dish. I had Bhindi and do not agree with a previous reviewer who did not rate it, it was well above average, it was tasty, well balanced and delicious. My husband had the Massala Dosa, which was a huge crispy pancake with a fantastic massala potato filling, with soup and dip to pour on top. It was unbelivably tasty and filling. We also had three Rotis and a couple of poppadoms and pickle tray and three diet cokes. The bill was just over £40, not cheap but excellent value for the quality of food. The service was attentive and helpful and the decor is smart but relaxing. We will be visiting again and hope to become regulars.

1 Thank Gomersal-08
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Gomersal-08, wow what a really lovely review, thank you for sharing your experience, we are thrilled that you really enjoyed your meal and that you will be dining with us again soon, we like you hope you become regulars, one of the best parts of eating vegetarian curries is you don't ever feel like you have had too much, look forward to serving you again soon…Bobby
London, England, United Kingdom
“You don't even miss the meat!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This restaurant is fabulous. Inventive menu, lovely staff, can also order takeaway. I love the Paneer starter, Special Chaat and for main the Bombay Bataka. We have ordered everything from the menu over our visits and have never been disappointed.

Visited April 2014
veggie23, Owner at Prashad Indian vegetarian restaurant, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hi Bec0512, thanks for sharing your experience, we are thrilled you enjoyed your meal and love to read that you have now tried EVERYTHING from our menu and have been impressed. We hope you such back soon….Bobby
Leeds, United Kingdom
“The best Indian vegetarian fare yet”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Being on a quest to explore the best of (authentic) vegetarian Indian cuisine in the UK, it wasn't long before my husband and I stumbled upon Prashad. And boy, are we glad we did! This is officially the best yet, and we don't say that lightly. We've visited 3 times already in the space of a month.

As with any authentic Indian dining experience, the menu is refreshingly free of traditional 'pathia's, 'bhuna's and the like.

From the starters, we strongly recommend the pethis. The coconut filling complements the crisp potato exterior so well, you will finish all four in a heartbeat. The bharela marcha also deserves special mention, but if you're wary of spicy food, it may be best to get someone else order this and try a bite first: the combination of red peppers and potatoes bathed in garam masala packs a punch. We also liked the dal kachori - this can be rather filling, though.
From the roadside starters, the special chaat is a mouthwatering concoction of yoghurt, tamarind, channa (chickpeas) and diced onion, with mashed samosas adding to the party. The dahi puri is equally tasty.
If you are a group of five or six individuals (or more) the tasting platter of starters is a good option, but with quantities being generous and each starter being filling, smaller groups are better off ordering two or three individual starters between them.
From the Real India section, we absolutely loved the naan bhaji, an uncharacteristic combination of naan breads and the kind of bhaaji normally served inside small doubled up pav breads. The combination works well, and the bhaaji (vegetable dish) is flavoursome without being over the top - a dish suitable for most age groups. Our youngest group member, aged nearly 3, loved his junior curry lovers' meal and ate most of it with relish. It was thoughtfully served in well spaced out intervals with toned down spices (where present), perfect for a young child.
The chef's thali, consisting of a starter, 2 curries, rice and rotlis, dal or khadi and dessert, is a delight, and worth repeat visits. Filling, varied and delicious, each item in the thali holds its own. If you're looking to order the thali, we suggest requesting specific items on your second and third visits (once you've gained a sense of what you prefer), as we find the restaurant is usually happy to oblige with your choice of 2 curries from the menu, rather than sticking to a curry-of-the-day system.
We haven't tried the dosas yet, and therefore cannot say how fare.
The bhinda while adequate, wasn't spectacular, but the chole, tarka dall, bombay bataka and aubergine & potato are all excellent choices. In particular, the chole stood out with its rich flavor and because the chickpeas struck the balance between being well cooked and remaining fresh and crunchy. Tarka dall makes for good comfort food and Prashad makes a good dall.
We tried rotlis and garlic naan breads, and both passed the test easily. We recommend the rotlis over the naan, they are a light Gujarati version of rotis and are ideal if your main course is a heavy one.
From the additionals, the khadi / khudi comes highly recommended, a yoghurt-based dish and perfect either on its own or with plain cooked basmati rice. The mustard seed and curry leaf tempering raises the dish to another level altogether.
Finish your meal with gajar halva, a classic, or the shrikhand. Prashad have never disappointed us with their shrikhand yet (this is usually the dessert accompaniment in the thali) and we would order it again without hesitation.
More expensive than a regular Indian eat-out experience, Prashad is a restaurant everyone should try before they can claim they're an Indian food fan - there's something here to surprise and delight everyone. Bon appetit!

3 Thank ramaaramesh
Dear Ramaaramesh, what can i say, your review is so comprehensive and so accurate that we are lost for words and our hearts are full, we are naturally thrilled to read such a lovely review and thank you for taking the time. Especially since you say you are on a quest of finding the best and we are at the top of that list, we hope we stay there….hope to serve you again soon….Bobby