“Glebe Retreat”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Spacious, comfortable living area
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
sylpeers
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“5 stars for space, view and freedom”
Reviewed 31 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

We booked the Glebe Retreat for work and holiday. The cottage is on a hill and the view was fantastic. The privacy and freedom we felt was incredible.
Upon arival, we found the key in the box. The doors opened to the livingroom area wich was big and comfortable looking. The cottage was clean, beds were made. There were towels provided and also some coffee, tea and milk and some other small stuff you might need.
There are two big bedrooms, both with carpet on the floor. One had an additional foldable couch. So it could sleep six. The kitchen is provided with enough basics to cook a meal. The shower/ toilet is next to the kitchen. Also clean and big enough. The living room area is big with a beautiful wooden floor. With two leather couches, a coffeetable, a sidetable with some books. And a glass dinertable with six chairs. There is a tv in every room, and one dvd player.
Outside it's just stunning. The animals are there and the nature around you. Breakfast outside got a whole new meaning for us.
We had contact with the owners about some technical difficulties (We had trouble with the tv reception and internet) they seemed nice people, trying to make things work. We talked about the difficulties they had up the hill with the reception of the tv and the internet troubles. Eventually things were fixed.
The things that stop us from adding an extra star:
-The internet and tv trouble when we arrived.
-There is no opening window in the middle bedroom, we missed the fresh air. Solved it by opening the doors in the living room.
-The cottage is situated on a busy road with no food- or bicycle path. So no safe walk. We had a walk through the fields one day in the evening when traffic was calmer.
-There were some minor things that didn't work.

Owner told us the minor things were to be fixed.

We had a great time all together.

Liked best: View!
Liked least: No opening bedroom window.
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
2 Sep 2016
Thank you for your great review of the property, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and enjoyed the views and accommodation. I am very sorry for the technical problems which you experienced, many thanks for helping to solve them, you were very polite to deal with and a pleasure to meet.
These guests left a note of minor problems in the holiday home which I have attended to, this was extremely helpful.
Kate H
London, United Kingdom
“Unwelcoming, intolerant owners upset guest and reduced her to tears”
Reviewed 18 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

We had booked Glebe Retreat for the weekend of my wedding based upon its numerous positive reviews and its great location. What a shame we were made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at such a special and significant time. I have never before received such poor customer service, or been spoken to so rudely as a customer!
While we were impressed with the setting and with the accommodation itself, we were extremely disappointed in the behaviour of the owners. My mother had booked a week’s stay at Glebe Retreat for my wedding and had planned for herself, my bridesmaids and me to get ready there on the morning of the wedding. We had told the owners at the time of booking that this was for a wedding party, and had told them again on the day of arrival; informing them that there would be a few people (make up ladies and photographer) coming on the Saturday morning.
The owners were rude and unwelcoming throughout our stay and not once did they congratulate us or extend any offers of help. They upset both of the makeup artists and the photographer on their arrival, refusing to let them enter the property. The holiday property is adjacent to the main house and is not sign-posted; unfortunately a couple of people turned the wrong way on entering the gate and approached the main house, to be met with angry owners telling them off!
The most shocking thing was that the day following the wedding the owners sent a series of emails to my mother, complaining about the number of people that had come in and out of the property and complaining that the gate had been accidentally left open on one occasion. They then proceeded to arrange a face to face meeting with her, during which they reduced her to tears while they continued a two-on-one attack on her. This behaviour is nothing less than bullying, and an appalling way for someone to treat a paying guest at a holiday property.
Apart from the Saturday morning, we were very careful to comply with the owners’ rules about having a maximum of two cars on the driveway at any time and about keeping the electric gate locked. We appreciate that it may have been inconvenient for the owners having a couple of extra cars entering their gate on the Saturday morning, however we had made sure to inform them in advance that this would be the case and had expected that they might be a little lenient for such a significant event as a wedding. This was not the case at all and in fact they did not hesitate to say that they had found our whole stay to be an inconvenience to them!
I would imagine that Glebe Retreat, with its appealing setting and proximity to Oxford, would be a lovely place for tourists to stay for a few days if they did not plan to have any interaction with the owners. However I would whole-heartedly discourage anyone from planning a significant event from this property. I still cannot believe that my mother left the day after her daughter’s wedding in tears because the way the owners had treated her! I would also discourage anyone with a tendency to being forgetful from staying at this house. The owners told us that they would not tolerate anyone forgetting to close the electric gate when entering and leaving the property.
I sent the owner a courtesy email to inform her that I planned to write a negative review of her property. She sent a reply threatening me with court action and said, ‘your mother chose to cry that's not our problem’.

Travelling group: Large Group
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
2 Sep 2016
I am absolutely dismayed and appalled at this review - in 3 years of managing the property I have never received such a fabricated posting as this or encountered so many problems in one booking!
I have had many different parties stay here including hen parties and workmen all of which have understood and respected the instructions provided without a problem. I had another wedding party after this booking and the guests were absolutely amazing, I was informed of all activity and everything went very well without a single incident which considering they had a family bbq with all their family here shows that when the instructions are followed and understood nobody is inconvenienced - the guests managed the gate for each and every visitor!
These guests were ill-mannered and ignorant to my simple requests to manage the gates and their additional guests.
The guests did not follow simple instructions or guidelines for the property, my animals escaped from their paddock due to a careless driver of theirs who was not staying here reversing in to the paddock gate and releasing the lock. My entrance gate was blocked by separate vehicles for long periods of time while waiting to be let in by the guests as planned - the front gates were left open on many more than one occasion as suggested, I have young children and dogs and this is a risk to them I had to send a message each time asking them to please ensure the gates were shut. I had several people drive into my courtyard and come to my personal residence for directions due to lack of knowledge as of where to go! The management on their behalf was very poor!
After the event of the wedding I explained how inconvenienced with the above issues we had been to the lady that had booked, she was upset that she had inconvenienced us, I invited her for a coffee the following morning after I had dropped my children to school to put the issues aside. When she arrived my husband was here and spoke with the guest briefly before heading to work. Myself and the lady spoke about each point, she was unaware of the issue with the animals and was sorry, she was tearful due to the lack of sleep - she had only had a few hours sleep - in her words. On parting I felt we had resolved the animosity felt between us and hugged before she left my home, there most certainly was no element of bullying in any which way.
I was not advised in advance of the amount of additional guests and vehicles entering.
All information for guests is clearly stated in an advance email with full directions and instructions needed for the stay. We have coded gate and key entry to allow guests to arrive and depart at their convenience and simple instructions to always shut the gates, it is designed this way as I have a family to keep.
I welcome my guests with a clean and comfortable place to stay, alongside my family home.
I would recommend any bookings with additional needs/guests discuss this in advance to the booking/stay.
Julie B
“Glebe Retreat”
Reviewed 1 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

We spent a week at Glebe Retreat. On arrival we found the place spotless. The beds are comfy and it's well equipped. It's a lovely barn and we have really enjoyed our stay. The bathroom facilities whilst spotless, are extremely small and it's situated right by the kitchen. Something I wasn't to keen on but just my own personal preference. The farm is situated in a lovely location looking out towards the countryside. The children thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of playing and watching the animals. The dogs are lovely and the kids loved having them around. It is an ideal location for going out and about around Oxford. Overall we have had the most relaxed and enjoyable week. There were lots of little additional things in the kitchen that were available for use which was really nice. Thanks we have really enjoyed our stay. The Beans

2 Jul 2016
Thank you for this great review, I am really glad that you all enjoyed your week and that you found the holiday home clean and comfortable. Many thanks and best wishes to you all.
Note- it's not a farm - spelling error - meant to read barn
BusyLondo...
london
“Stunning country retreat”
Reviewed 3 May 2016 for a stay in April 2016

My wife and I traveled up for the bank holiday with our 3 young boys to visit places around Oxford. We all loved the peaceful and pretty setting of Glebe Retreat- it had all the mod cons that we are used to at home (in London) but in the country side. The owners were very hospitable and ensured we had everything ready on arrival!
If the occasion arose and Emily would have us, we would love to stay there again and already spread the word among family/friends- it is a stunning country retreat.

Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Families with young children
4 May 2016
Thank you for your fantastic review of the holiday home, its an absolute pleasure for me to know how much my guests have enjoyed their stay and the property - we would love you and your family to come and stay again sometime in the future and I hope your recommendation to friends, family and anybody reading your review will be encouraged to visit. Thank you!
1z123
Patras, Greece
“Excellent accommodation close to Oxford”
Reviewed 20 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

We stayed 4 days in July with our teenage children. We all loved the accommodation (a recently converted barn) - very nicely done, nice furniture, very spacious, spotlessly clean, very organized and safe, plus... two ponies, two lamas and two very friendly dogs keeping us company on the field next to the house. The house is in a quiet rural location just off the Oxford ring-road, close to a "park and ride" (Thornhill) where you can get a bus into Oxford (20 min to the center) or London (OxfordTube or X90), or rent a bike to visit the nearby park (Shotover County Park). There is a Tesco Superstore close by on the ring-road (also a SportsDirect, Next and Boots). Only suitable if you have a car.

Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
22 Jul 2015
I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your break at Glebe Retreat. Your review is very complimentary of the holiday let and expresses the important fact of the ideal quiet location which is only a short journey from Oxford city centre.
Helma S
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2015 for a stay in March 2015

We stayed 7 days in Glebe Retreat and we adored it.The cottage was so spacious, clean and comfortable.We enjoyed the calm and the excellent view. Glebe Retreat was a ideal starting point for excursions in Oxford and around. We visited Blenheim Palace and the cotswolds villages and Oxford, of course.

The children loved the animals - even if the smallest child was a bit afraid of the dogs. Even she loved them ! The dogs were well trained and really family dogs. But the shetties were the reason why we had tears while leaving..

The owners live close by - thanks for the lovely stay! And thank you again for the Easter treat for the kids - thoughtful little suprise!

We would recommend without any hesitation Glebe Retreat for a stay and we plan to return.

Liked best: the location
Liked least: no dishwasher
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
20 May 2015
Thank you for this great review. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. I hope other potential visitors to Oxford are encouraged to book and stay with us at Glebe Retreat.
sibbowhu
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderfull”
Reviewed 5 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

Stayed in this lovely converted barn for 2 weeks lovely and clean comfy 5 star and the owners are so helpfull thank you aran and emily for a wonderfull stay

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
7 May 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave this great review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Glebe Retreat.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing