“No Complaints”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Scheveningen
Newcastle
“No Complaints”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed one night in the summer of 2012. We arrived late after a long bike ride. They stored our bikes in a room at the rear. The hotel is old, but the room we had was fine. The wi-fi also worked well. We had a very good breakfast, and the owner recommended a good Italian type restaurant nearby, where we got our first drink free because we followed her recommendation. Scheveningen seemed like a down-market Blackpool and we were there on a very wet and windy day, so we didn't see it at it's best. The hotel was good enough and we would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CondadoJohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
scotland
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed here for the weekend, looks a bit past it's best from the outside and inside is the same, breakfast was fine, welcome was slightly off putting, arrived at same time as other guests and lady on reception appeared a bit flustered and dismissive of us appeared to think we were all one group. Room was OK, good view to sea, it is in an excellent situation easy walking to town, beach, shops etc.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fiss
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is a nice Hotel for a relaxing weekend out.....or a midweek stay.....
I like to stay in this Hotel when visiting the Netherlands.........
The layout, a combination of buildings can be somewhat confusing, you get used to it fast.
Location is great, right on the boardwalk and beach....., steps away from the Tram terminal
Many attractions in the area.
Parking (reserve with your reservation)lot in front of the Hotel which is hard to find in Scheveningen.
Bicycle's for rent, half day, day, week....
Clean comfortable rooms, (ask for Sea view) very friendly staff, (feels like home) good breakfast buffet, choices for everyone
Inhouse dining is limited, (learn the schedule) but very good.
Many places for lunch or dinner to choose from, at the boardwalk and in the area
Join guests at the Hotel Bar for an after dinner nightcap, you will be treated like family..
Very plesant, higly recommended.......

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I give this property four stars based upon the value for money - meaning I'm ranking it with other comparable budget properties, and not in the same vein as more physically-beautiful hotels which I've awarded 4 stars, such as the London May Fair. (Comparing apples to apples...)

So, in the category of hotels where you just want an inexpensive place to stay where location is one of the most important factors, this property delivers.

As noted by the property on its booking sites, there is no elevator. So if you have really heavy suitcases, request a lower-floor property. Upon check-in, the lovely front desk clerk carried my case up the narrow, winding staircase.

The single room is simply, but more than adequately, decorated. I was lucky enough to receive a sea-view room, and was pleased that the windows opened to let in the breeze. There was ample and varied lighting, and everything was clean. I could have used a full-length mirror, though, and the weird shelf placement behind the bed was so low that I hit my head on it when trying to read in bed. It could also probably do with some new carpeting and there was no hair dryer in my room.

I was a bit late for breakfast one morning, but the gentleman in charge kindly fixed me a plate which was more than adequate - he didn't have to do this, but I sure appreciated it. Upon departure, the lady checking me out offered me a coffee while I was waiting for my taxi. Most of the staff I encountered were extremely pleasant.

In sum, this is a quaint and friendly hotel which offers excellent value for your money - it's certainly not the Kurhaus, but nor is it trying to be.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank youthfulcruiser
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We have stayed at the Aquarius Hotel three times now and enjoy the clean, large seaview rooms, the friendly staff, and the extensive breakfast. The location is superb, and the recently refurbished rooms are roomy and comfortable. Close to the Scheveningen boardwalk and good public transportion into the city of The Hague.

Room Tip: ask for seaview room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Very clean and tidy, if somewhat quirky in a Dutch kind of way. Right on the seafront, parking is just opposite and simple (not an easy thing to say about Scheveningen generally). Friendly folks. We had a big double with sea view and a balcony. En-suite was definitely a bit odd - had to go through double swing doors which were very narrow - we thought it was a cupboard at first, but spacious enough and nicely fitted inside. My wife found the bed comfortable, but it was one of those with a firm centre but soft edges, and I went base over apex getting out of it. Ceiling tiles were the 1960s acoustic tile type, which is a bit retro and were oddly stained, but hey, this is the Netherlands! Good breakfast, reasonably priced. We'd recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandelbrot
South of England
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I concur with the other reviewers; this is a nice hotel in a handy position for the Zwarte Pad tram terminus. I was particularly impressed by the evening food, which was outstandingly good value, and the general welcome that I received.

My room (223) looked out of the back, which was no particular problem, but my second night confirmed my suspicion from the first - the bed had bugs in it.

I told the young lady when I checked out. She was suitably apologetic (you could see one of the bites on my hand) but did not offer any recompense.

If I could be assured of a bug-free night, I would gladly go back.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank MrOrganist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scheveningen
Carlton Beach The Hague / Scheveningen
#5 of 24 in Scheveningen
Strandhotel Scheveningen
Strandhotel Scheveningen
#7 of 24 in Scheveningen

Been to Aquarius Hotel? Share your experiences!