“GOs make the Club! Tennis and Celine!!!!”

Club Med Opio Provence
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Opio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“GOs make the Club! Tennis and Celine!!!!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We had a lovely stay at Club Med Opio thanks to some very amazing GOs. We had planned a special vacation for two weeks celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary; one week hiking in the Luberon and the second week at Club Med Opio. We are from Canada and have enjoyed many Club Med vacations in Columbus Isle, Bahamas and Punta Cana, DR with up to 5 kids. Transfer from Nice was convenient and quick. The welcome was somewhat to be desired. If there is anything this location has to work on, the welcoming might be a start! Not impressed that Club Med actually charged us for lunch the day of our arrival! We have never had that happen before, and it wasn't cheap 58euros for the leftovers about 1:30. At the other Club Meds this was never an issue. Our room wasn't ready but we had access to our bags after lunch. The main pool was very busy so we opted to check out the Zen pool which we later renamed the zero pool. When we arrived the attendant approached us and asked if we were looking for a chair in the shade or sun; how nice! We replied; shade. Oh!, no, we have no shade chairs!; Then why ask, I wonder! Fine, Sun then. We jumped in the pool which was wonderful after a long trip on the train. Its pretty quiet situated in the lovely serenity of an olive grove but it has zero energy. Its definitely a chill area. If that's what your looking for then Zen/Zero pool is where you want to be.

We like energy, which is why we enjoy Club Med. Tennis GOs were awesome! Christoph, Jacque and Yvan were enthusiastic and energetic. This Club Med is very french which is great but sometimes we didn't quite understand all the french language. I was told by a Belgian guest that our (Canadian) french is not really french! The GOs in the tennis area always accomodated us by explaining in English as well. The golf area was not as accomodating. Not impressed! is my evaluation; Douglas tried to translate and his efforts were appreciated. I actually had one lady come up to me and comment that they were not very good about translating. She thought I must be put off by it, but I was appreciative of Douglas' effort. At least he tried. The golf course was challenging and focuses on the short game. The golf course dining room was excellent and we really enjoyed our lunches there away from the hustle and bustle of the main dining room.

One of the outstanding evenings was with our visit with the one Canadian GO on site; Celine in public relations/ reception. She had heard from the tennis GO that there were Canadians and she found out who we were. She arranged to have dinner with us at the Golf course dining room with the other Candian couple staying at the resort. She surprised us with an anniversary cake. A lovely young lady and Club Med is lucky to have her on staff; a great reflection of the company. Young, vibrant, attention to detail!

The location and views were lovely. There was an olive grove and a scentual garden of herbs and flowers. The gardens were lovely and the lavender along the golf course was lovely. We definitely missed the ocean though.

The GOs always make the trip. Francesco and Samir at the main bar were lots of fun. The GOs who put in the countless hours working on the evening festivities/spectaculars are awesome. As I mentioned already, the tennis GOs were fantastic. We didn't have any kids with us on this trip but the teens that we met at the tennis and with parents were all enjoying their time there. My 13 year old daughter would have loved it I'm sure! Not sure she has quite forgiven us for leaving her at home and in school!!!! I'm sure she will get over it before our next visit to Punta Cana!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
England
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We have been four times (!) to this place, so it can't be bad. Our first visit was in 2008, when it first opened, so we saw it newly refurbished and relaunched and it was superb.

For the price (we always book well in advance and get the EBD discount and then do our own transport) the Club Med formula is just right for a family of four with two kids under 12. I don't like to be held hostage in an all inclusive, so it pays to get your own transport. Local perfumery town of Grasse and Friday market at Valbonne are worth a visit.

My husband loves it for the cycling, some of the best routes in the Alpes Maritime. Great location for exploring the region and beautiful setting at the top of a hill in prime Provencal real estate. The food is usually excellent, although mealtimes are a little hectic, but they do it well for self service catering.

We share two interconnecting rooms with balcony. Strongly recommend the balcony upgrade because the rooms, albeit very well appointed, are compact.

Kids love the Mini Club for a couple of hours in the morning and if you of in the English schools hols the kids make friends quite easily. They have a go at stuff they would not find in the UK, especially archery and trapeze. Tennis and golf facilities are good. Main pool is excellent if a little busy at times, while theTranquility Pool is a welcome respite from the noise and "Crazy Signs"...

That said, I can't help feeling that the place and decor in particular has been allowed to get very tired and over used in the last four years and I get the impression it will be a very long time before Club Med renovate it again. I think these places are on a 20 year life cycle, so you need to look out for the newly opened ones.

We have tried Club Med Peisey Vallandry in the summer too and it was a similar standard. I think next time we will try the newly opened Club Med Valmorel for a change. If you want a positive experience at Club Med, don't bother with anywhere less than four tridents.

Room Tip: Request interconnecting rooms with balcony.
1 Thank loubielouEngland
, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your fourth stay in our Opio en Provence Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your family had a good time and that you enjoyed our value for money offer, the quality of the food, the Resort location and all the sports facilities there. We are also glad to read that you enjoyed the way your children have been welcomed in the Mini Club!
We would also like to thank you for your comments about the overall aspect of the Resort. It is only with constructive criticism from loyal customers such as you that Club Med will be able to improve its offer in all its resorts worldwide. We can assure you that those comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments within our organisation for their perusal.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts, maybe in Valmorel for next Winter –please note that you can still benefit from our biggest EBB savings if you book by 18th July!

Kind Regards,

Your Club Med UK Team
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My family has just returned from a 10 day trip to Club Med in Opio in Provence. We are a 30/40s couple with two children of 3 and 1.

Getting There
Clearly this is person specific but we travelled on BA from Gatwick, booked by ClubMed. I would add that the cost was the same as travelling on Easyjet (which was used to fly to ClubMed Marrakesh) and was much nicer. The transfer to Opio was by minivan and took thirty minutes – it’s easy and painless.

The Club
It is modern, situated on a hill. Our reference point was Marrakesh which had palatial grounds and a wonderful sense of calm – clearly given the real estate prices Club Med had to build on a less regal scale; it is more compressed. It leads to the dining room being on the 3rd floor; if you have children in buggies then it’s all lifts; also the loos are on the second so if there is a mid-course toilet break there is a hike to be undertaken. Overall it is clean, tidy, well presented, a little soulless and there isn’t much quiet space to be found.

The Rooms
Modern, well appointed. We had interconnected rooms – one with a shower and twin beds and one with a bath and a double. They are well designed, a little small, clean (the cleaning staff are good) and the A/C works. A few niggles – they have TV but it has few channels (Sky News is the only English one) and for some reason only one in three channels is tuned so it takes an age to scroll. You can’t attach a device so ‘pacification by cartoon’ has to be done by iPod or personal DVD.

On arrival we were on the third floor – with two kids and double pram it just didn’t work – we had to push very hard to get moved and it was, understandably, a pain. The club didn’t help and it delayed the start of the holiday by a day. You can request a ground floor room – we did but everyone has kids so it’s a lottery and a risk.

Dining
A buffet. The dining room is large but quite compressed – the staff can bring high chairs but it can be a little bit of a zoo. Unlike Marrakesh there was a real rush hour and the buffet was a nightmare – not that food ran out, it was just hard to move around.

Overall the quality was good but it wasn’t great – in particular the niceties that made Marrakesh so good such as the salad chef to chop you a bespoke guilt saving set of greens was absent. We were ready to dine out by day six as much due to ambience as the choice.

There was reasonable variety and as you would expect in France the staples such cheese, fruits etc. were consistently excellent.

The children were well catered for and the kid’s club food was much, much better than the adults – lovely dining area, good sensible kid’s choices, and super staff. A pity they didn’t work in the kid's club.

Kid's Club
Didn’t go well. My three year old who had woken every morning in Marrakesh shouting let’s go to kids club woke every day saying ‘I don’t want to go’.

I’d attribute it to two factors – the club has lea space and the clubs are in basements and ground floors – they are a little antiseptic and cold. Certainly there were no camel visits, horse rides or a pool for the kids alone. However, the key difference was the staff. They weren’t very caring or interested and children can detect this like a dog can smell a postman. One of them even said to my wife “so, you can’t look after your child then?”

Pool
Large but still very busy with a separate shallow kids area. We spent all day there and it was fine if crowded. There is a silly access system so you have to walk 50m to get a drink and heavy to lift and carry push chairs. There is shade; there is the usual ‘crazy sign’ and ‘Olympics’ that are part of ClubMed’s culture – if you can’t handle it don’t go. But it is fine provided the mix at the club is good.

The Crowd
Mainly French with the second largest guest group English – fairly civilised and family oriented. However, the club hosted two conferences while we were there. One was a corporate sales style event with a lot of young people who got drunk and spent time throwing each other in the pool. The second was larger, corporate and turned every meal into the start of a city marathon. I respect ClubMed’s need to make money but it wrecked the feel of the hotel on these days.

Staff and Service
Utterly different to Morocco – the staff had a Parisian/ Riviera attitude to their work – that the guests were interrupting their fun and tanning. I wasn’t surprised but at times it was annoying. We were saved by Thierry – the French Mauritian Manager standing in for the Chef du Village who was away – charming, highly caring and effective he dealt with all of our problems quickly and graciously and he saved the holiday.

Value for Money
For Provence in June great value for Money – versus ClubMed Marrakesh vastly overpriced.

Room Tip: If you have kids get on the ground floor - there are no lifts in the accommodation section of the cl...
5 Thank RGTLondon
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Opio Provence, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Great Member,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience in our Opio en Provence resort. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve if necessary, the standards and quality of services offered in all its resorts worldwide.

I understand that you were allocated a room on the third floor, which resulted in causing inconvenience to your family and yourself, as you had two kids and needed to take a double pram upstairs to your room. This experience was understandably painful for you, so you had to request a ground floor room.

Please note that a ground floor room can be requested prior to your arrival, at the time of booking. Unfortunately, despite doing our utmost to satisfy our clients’ preferences and as kindly pointed out in your comment, we cannot guarantee the availability of this kind of room as they are subject to a high demand.

Regarding the fact that you found the dining area full at certain hours, I would like you to know that even if our Restaurant staff makes a priority of accommodating all our guests at a table, we usually recommend that you plan to go to the dining room quite early to avoid crowding effects and ensure you and your family a seat. Please note that I have forwarded these issues to our Restaurant Manager in Opio for his perusal.

Moreover, you kindly advise Club Med to offer a wider diversity of food in its Opio resort, which was below the quality compared to other resorts. I can assure you that this feedback has been forwarded to Opio’s Chef, who is always keen on getting more ideas to suit all tastes and nationalities.

You also wrote that you were disappointed by our Children’s Clubs because your children were not as motivated to go there as during your past stay in Club Med Marrakech. Whilst the Kids Club supervisors do their utmost to make children feel comfortable and do the most of their stay, we appreciate the constructive feedback you brought to us. The Kids Club Manager has been made fully aware of this issue and will give some feedback to all his staff and remind them of our core values, which prone entertainment, liveliness and great customer service.

I noted your comments as regards to the Club Med business conferences that took place during your stay, which unfortunately caused some disturbance to you and your family. I understand that large groups of guests can give birth to some kind of crowding effect in the common areas such as the pool and the restaurant, as mentioned in your review.

Please note that as a company which offers holidays for both individuals and business groups, we do our utmost to satisfy all our guests. I feel sorry if you felt like this was not the case while you stayed at Opio en Provence’s resort.
As regards to your overall feedback on our G.O. team’s attitude in the above resort, I have taken it very seriously. I would like to assure you that your comments have been transmitted to the resort for their perusal.

On behalf of Club Med, I would like to offer you my sincere apology for any inconvenience caused to you and your family whilst staying at the above resort.

On a more positive note, I have noted your satisfaction as regards to your travel including flights and transfer, as well as the resort’s overall presentation, the rooms’ quality, the dining restaurant’s fresh local food and its children facilities. Moreover, I wish to thank you for complimenting Thierry, our Chef de Village, who obviously did his utmost to make your stay a special one.

I hope that despite the issues raised in your review, we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you in one of our resorts in a not too distant future.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

Your Club Med UK Team.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have recently returned with my wife and daughter from a trip to Club med in Opio, South France. We have been to several Club Meds in the past but this was the first time to Opio and indeed to an inland resort.
The transfer from the airport was typical Club Med, easy, hassle free, friendly and efficient. From exiting the airport at Nice we were at the resort within 30 mins. The reception at the resort was equally efficient but not as friendly as other Club Meds we have been to. Not that the staff were unfriendly but lacking was the reception cocktail that we had seen before and other small nicities. On arrival our room wasn`t ready since it was early, ( midday ) but not a problem. We checked in and waited by the pool with a drink and having the opportunity for a general look around. First impressions weren`t good, the pool area was like Butlins on a bad day! It was heaving and the fact that it was cloudy didn`t help. Then it dawned on us that since it was a sunday, none of the usual activities weren`t on , baby clubs etc. From then on it was fine, no problems getting sun beds and so on.
Our rooms were exceptionally good, spotlessly clean and all mod cons. Likewise the restaurant was all you expect a a Club Med resort. No problems having a table and the food and wine throughout were superb.
Now the staff. The GO`s were, without exception, faultless. The ones we sat with with at mealtimes and met around the resort could not be more charming and friendly. Particular mention should go to the Chef du village for the time we were there, Thierry. He seemed to be everywhere and was always funny, friendly and courteous. A Chef can make or break a Club Med holiday and he was excellent. Also many thanks to John, Maxsence, Kamil, Benjamin and especially Andreas who we send best wishes for him and his wife with their forthcoming new baby.(PS the circus show is brilliant and not to be missed!) And to all the other GO`s who were brilliant. Likewise , don`t miss the shows, all very good and a lot of time and effort goes into them.
The only downside for us was the presence of numerous conferences that share the resort with holidaymakers. Not that they were overly intrusive, its just that when I`m on holiday I`d rather not be surrounded by people having meetings and discussing sales forecast in public areas. I`m trying to escape all that for a week !!
All in all a good time. Would I go back ? Prob not, only because of having to share my holiday with companys having their conferences. Also I would prefer a beach at hand. But don`t let that put you off. The GO`s will ensure you have a great time!

1 Thank owen c
Dear Great Member,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Opio Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see that you, your wife and daughter enjoyed the comfort of your room, our friendly staff and the efforts they always make to offer you great shows.

We also want to thank you for the constructive criticisms you’ve made about the Club Med business conferences. We are sorry to read that the conferences disturbed you and your family. We would like you to note that Club Med offers holidays for both individuals and business groups and always try to do its best to satisfy all our guests.

We hope to see you soon in one of our Resort.

Kind Regards,

Your Club Med UK Team.
St Jean Cap Ferrat, France
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My wife and I arranged to take our daughter, her partner, and their two kids (3 and 11) for a few days to Opio. This is the second largest Club Med with room for over 1,000 guests, and over 400 rooms. The facilities are quite nice, and we all thought that the food was very good particularly considering the number of people being served at each meal. The best features: the pool, the food, the golf course, the calm pool (no kids allowed), and the topography (mountains, sense of provence). My wife is a big fan of French silliness, and she loved the stage programs (singing and dancing) every evening. I am at a stage in my life where I barely tolerate other people's kids, and there are lots of small screaming children at this Club. Also, many people objected to the groups that were bussed in for meetings (GB Quick had a corporate meeting when we were there), as they tended to overwhelm the dinning facilities. My daughter loved the Club, as did her kids (the whole point of the visit). We had been to smaller Club Meds (Morocco Switzerland) 35 years ago when she was a child, and this was like deja vu all over again. The bottom line: if you have young children it is tough to beat. If you don't like being around same forget it. And, I would avoid July and August.

1 Thank Vesenaz
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This was our 2nd club med holiday. Our first was last year in La Palmyre and was a real success. We wanted to try a different resort this time. We travelled June 2nd with our 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl from Dublin with Ryanair.
In comparison with La Rochelle airport, Nice airport is hard work- large and busy. Be warned- if like us you have booked car rental you must travel by bus with all your bags ( and kids) to terminal 2 to get the car .
Club med Opio is hard to find. We drove around in circles for quite some time- it is very poorly signposted and alot of people seemed to have had this difficulty.
I love Club med and the club med concept so I'd really like to give this a review a 3.5 rather than a 3.

The great things about the resort are:
1. the absolute beauty of the surrounding region. Opio is not within walking distance mind you but with a car you can visit Grasse, the perfume factories, beautiful Valbonne etc. We even drove to Monaco one wet day.
2.The staff were really lovely- really enthusiastic and professional.
3,The pools are gorgeous. We loved the baby pool which our kids lived in for the week. I didn't get to swim in the ' Calm' pool but it looks lovely.
4,The kids club is well organized with nice staff. Our 5 yr old only went one morning as he unfortunately fell ill while we were there.
5.Food is amazing.
There were just a few issues that bugged me a bit. The fact that I was 25 weeks pregnant may not have helped!!!
6. Kids show most evenings was great fun- our kids loved it.
7. I love the nespresso on tap everywhere.

Number 1 Steps steps steps- everywhere!!!!!!!
This resort has been refurbished but is still a bit tired in places.
We had the usual very friendy greeting and were taken to our room in Bastide de la Camomile. There is no lift and I booked a room with a balcony on the advise of previous reviewers. It took 32 steps to get to our room.This was after going down 10 steps from the main hotel. I may sound petty. We are both fit and generally not moaners but our kids would groan about the steps , insist on being carried and if you forgot a pair of goggles the trip back to the room from the pool and up the 32 steps and down again in 30 degrees heat was hard work.
I really felt sorry for people trying to lift their buggies down these steps. Some peopole having been stung the first time rebooked rooms at ground level the 2nd year and seemed happy enough.

The whole resort is on a hill and there are long walks to everything- eg to the kids club, calm pool, golf centre. There is an in house mini van to bring you everywhere but I found La Palmyre alot easier to navigate.

There are bus loads of conference people ariving each day. Many seemed to be gorgeous, glam nespresso staff(!) but nevertheless the queues for meals at the buffet could get long and it was very busy at times. These people seem to use a separate conference centre and not the pools ect so the main issue , if any, is around the restaurant.
Rooms are fine. We had two separae interconnecting rooms. Main building looks tired and not very pretty but the rooms were fine. I felt balcony was a bit dodgey for kids at 4th floor level. they could easily have climbed up on it and I wouln't let them on it without one of us with them.

Overall we had a great holiday. Even though I am pregnant I think I would have found the steps everywhere a bit of an issue pregnant or not.Also you need a car to get away from resort unlike La Palmyre where you can rent a bike and cycle for miles along the lovely coast. The countryside around Opio is, however, prettier in my opinion. We were completely dependent on the pool to entertain our young kids.
Would we go back to Club med? Definitely Yes but probably not to this resort.

Room Tip: No lifts in room blocks- be really careful about the floor you end up on!
4 Thank florence6
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Club is nice and very well located: you really get a provence feeling when arriving. Food is okay , perhaps better than in most other clubs , the main restaurant might be busy by peak moments, there is always the resto at the Golf. Animation & disco are fine .
one fact is true: rooms are very small and not well isolated at all... As an Italian GM told me: Club Med Opio is nice as long as you stayed out of your room. Regretful after all.
In all value for money as long as you are fine with a smaller room.
I got me as if I had refurbished room in a very cheap way , even the light in the toilet is unsufficient to read something...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cvk221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opio
Chateau de la Begude
Hotel La Perouse
Hotel La Perouse
#4 of 204 in Nice
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,239 reviews

Been to Club Med Opio Provence? Share your experiences!