“Brilliant snorkelling go for all inclusive option”

Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Well here we go. Third trip to the Maldives first to this Island. We stayed in room 341 which was brilliant. Nice breeze and quiet. The room was clean, and the room boy did a great job keeping it that way, although it was dark but not an issue for us. Only had one cockroach visit us on our 2 week stay and no other big issues with bugs in our room as the room has a plug in insect repellent with tablets supplied. We did encounter some really nasty bites on the first couple of evenings whilst at the bar regardless of the jungle formula spray we used. I think there were a few people with the same problem as the next few days the island was fogged with insect killer by staff and after at regular intervals. This did work and we had no problems afterwards.
Food was plentiful and varied and we were there for 2 weeks and lunch and dinner menus were never completely repeated. Breakfast was always the same menu but there was so much to choose from, cereal, fresh ,pastries and cooked breakfast with one person making omelettes or fried eggs to order. There was scrambled and boiled eggs in food warmers ready. If you chat to the chef he will make you a traditional Maldivian curry for dinner. There is a pasta station at the lunch and dinner sittings and I really wanted to opt for this as I am not a meat or fish person but the chef was always covered in sweat and his jacket soaked so this personally put me off. Saying that I did not go hungry as the vegetable, salad and rice options were plenty and varied. The waiters do this island proud. My waiter was attentive and tried very hard to have a conversation with us although his English was limited 10 /10 for trying.
The reef is all that other reviews have pointed out and the wall is there for a reason and if you can't see past it then don't go to this island. Personally I think it gives a chance for non confident snorkelers or first timers to see some of the marine life that otherwise they wouldn't because of not wanting to go onto the reef. A few people we met said that having the lagoon helped them to venture out onto the reef later. The wall has water inlet gaps many people think that these are the entry/ exit points and there are problems with getting in and out to the reef when the water level is low.
The bar staff are all great although we only used the main bar as it was more convenient to our room and restaurant, we did not use the pool bar. The entertainment is what it is. One thing the island needs to do is replace that blown speaker as it may make the sound a bit more acceptable.
One point that I think lets this island down and that is the money spinning nights considering that this is predominately an all inclusive island. Beach party 2 hours for $5, for a fire pit and cans of Carlsberg lager the same entertainment as you will get at the bar on other evenings. $5 a ticket for bingo with a prize of a bottle of wine 3 prizes in total if there is enough players or just one if not. $5 per crab for the crab racing again a bottle of wine for the 1st 2nd and 3rd prize. There were other evenings that were pay to do but they were not very well attended and not surprising considering the prices. I just think that they should be just for fun and not charged or prizes given. Just my opinion considering the price you pay for the holiday in the first place.
Another problem is the excursions. This island does not have particular days for particular excursions. You just put your name on the list and if and when there is the required minimum for the trip it will go ahead if not then your name will go forward for the next day and so on. You do not always get notified one way or another so you could be either waiting in your room for confirmation or cancellation that never comes or having to chase the trip up yourself on a daily basis. I think that if trips had designated days then people could plan their excursions and more chance of getting the required minimum numbers. I could go into the farce that happened to us . I will be happy to share the experience if you message me.

We were offered a room upgrade with 5 nights left on our holiday to a water villa. We went to have a look and I don't think they are worth the extra $50 per night reduced rate that we were offered. I preferred our beach villa room 341and would have refused even if it was a free upgrade. The water bungalows although are very much lighter and brighter they are only semi detached, have small shower cubicle and small separate toilet rather than the open plan beach villas. They have a bath nota jaccuzi just a plain very scratched and slightly stained. They have a small balcony with table and chairs that over look the sea but no access to the water direct. They have no numbered/ allocated sun loungers and no personal outside space as the beach villa had. Most of the people from the water bungalows seemed to stay alongside the pool area and they used the pool bar and had a small eating area. My personal preference would be the beach bungalows with the decked porch.
THERE IS A WONDERFUL REP ON THE ISLAND CALLED GERRARD. THIS PERSON IS A BRILLIANT REP AND WHEN FIRST CHOICE AND THOMPSON PULL OUT OF THE MALDIVES NEXT YEAR THIS WONDERFUL MAN WILL BE A GREAT LOSS NOT ONLY TO THE TRAVEL COMPANIES HE REPRESENTS AT THE MOMENT BUT TO THE ALL THE MALDIVIAN ISLANDS HE COVERS. HE IS A GEM THAT SHOULD BE RETAINED INDEPENDANTLY BY THE ISLANDS TO BE A VISITORS CONCIEGE WHEN TRAVELLERS HAVE ISSUES.
I would recommend this island for the great snorkelling and the friendly laid back atmosphere. Not having to dress up for dinner is what I call a holiday although some did, having the choice is what I personally liked.
I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have as you can't put everything down in a review.

Room Tip: I had room 341 which had a nice sandy area with lounger and steps into the lagoon. Nice breeze and s...
5  Thank ch003f6002
Ellaidhoo_Team, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

hello ch003f6002..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo.
Thank you for taking time to share your review “Brilliant snorkelling go for all inclusive option”on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that your overall experience was pleasant and that you'd recommend us for the brilliant house reef and friendly atmosphere. :) We appreciate you sharing your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and standards. Looking forward to welcoming you some day in the future, giving us the opportunity to make your stay even more memorable. Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here at Ellaidhoo.

There are newer reviews for Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Just returned from the most relaxing 2-week holiday I have ever spent. My most pressing decision was shall I have pasta or salad, flip flops or bare feet.

I won’t reiterate on most of the TA comments; but these are the most remarkable things to reinforce about this island resort and our experience.

The food isn’t just good, its first class, No it’s not stylised gourmet, but there was nothing we tasted within a 2 week stay that wasn’t completely delicious, fresh and inventive. Bread’s and pastries wonderful, pasta excellent, salads such fresh delicious choices.

We stayed in beach bungalow 319, completely clear view of the sea from our bed, 3 steps to lagoon. Many of the rooms have foliage shaded areas including the rooms with the wider beach 101-114, this room had a beach umbrella, great sunset views. We left our curtains open by night to wake to the wonderful sea and sound of the waves.This side of the island to the right of the water villas enjoyed a great breeze although on more breezy days the ocean was choppy with quite a current for snorkelling.Aircon quiet , fan helpful and bed comfortable and rooms clean.

We had 2 miner birds visit, a spotty bird of pray and a heron sleep on the deck outside. The miner birds took to following us in our room begging for tit bits and even took food from my hand , sat on my knee.

The reef as all have said was wonderful, but again for me it was beyond our expectations. The variety of fish, the clarity of the water rivalled any reef we have previously visited.

The staff were very good in all areas bar restaurant and senior team, attentive and worked hard. I never felt that there were any tipping expectations from any of them or any compromising the levels of service as a result. We felt inclined to tip widely including the unsung heroes in the kitchen and laundry.

We thought all in all this was a wonderful first trip to the Maldives, no its not high end chic, but we didn’t pay a high end price. We had a very comfortable room, great views, reef and atmosphere, created by a good resort team and diverse guests. Hello to all the fab folk we met honeymoooooners, ‘Kiddies’ and oldies like ourselves, see you at the Maldives reunion we had sooo much fun.

Yes Gelald was indeed an excellent rep. we wish him well.

Room Tip: breezes rooms 315 -330 unobsructed sea views 319 and several rooms up to 330 soft sand beach in fr...
3  Thank LillyWales
Andreana W, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

hello LillyWales..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your motivating review “Simply Lovely Chaaya Reef” on Trip Advisor.. It has been our pleasure making your maiden Maldivian holiday a very memorable one and look forward to hosting you for your reunion as well.. :) We are very pleased to know that you've enjoyed every aspect of service and product Ellaidhoo has to offer and found it spectacular.. Until we welcome you again, Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here.. :)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had such a fantastic honeymoon! The resort is great, relaxed, not too commercialized and has maintained its rustic charm. A lovely little beach, which is kept spotlessly clean. if you prefer around the other side its quieter with no beach but still has easy access to the water via steps and has places for sun-loungers. (which are allocated to each bungalow)

The staff are super friendly and helpful without being over-bearing and pushy, nothing is too much trouble. Excellent!

We had a standard garden room (numbers 309-314 are in a quieter location). Our room was huge with the standard outside bathroom. Our view is, we did not see inside the water bungalows so cannot comment on décor or their facilities but they DO NOT have steps into the water. They do have their own restaurant but this doubles as a pool bar during the day and in the evening, so am not sure whether they are worth paying the extra money, when the standard garden and beach rooms are of such a high standard.

We spent most days on the beach, where the snorkeling is amazing especially outside the sea wall, if you are brave enough swim beyond the 'drop-off' for a chance to see even bigger fish. The pool in late afternoon is like swimming in a bath it's so warm.
We added on a few extras one of which, was a day on a desert island. This is worth every cent and is truly memorable especially whilst on honeymoon.

There is night-time entertainment every night including once a week crab racing - get involved!!.
Two other must sees are the feeding of the rays at about 17.30 every evening and watching the sunset from the pool bar.

Can't fault this place at all, except if there are any South African's staying (those there whilst we were will know what I mean)

Oh, one last thing get your washing done whilst you are there unlimited times for $35.

ps special mention to the bar staff, waiting staff, chefs and not forgetting the room boys, please, please tip generously.

4  Thank debsdonut

hello debsdonut..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your experience “Brilliant Honeymoon Excellent Resort” and wonderful comments on Trip Advisor.. We are extremely delighted that you've had a fantastic honeymoon, enjoyed the ambiance of the resort, the amazing snorkelling, delicious food, crab racing and the desert island experience. We look forward to have you with us for many such special and memorable holidays. Till then, Cheers from the Management and all the staff at Ellaidhoo.. :)

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have read reviews about the wall spoiling the hotel which is complete nonsense this protects the reef and is safe to swim in the lagoon Thranga on the bar needs a special mention he is absolutely brilliant we had so much fun with him he is the best bar person we have had. Jackie again in the bar was really hard working. We stayed in Bungalow 345 and is very quiet so you can get a good nights sleep. The food is plentyful and there is something for everybody. We had a really rough crossing on the speed boat it took us 2 hours I would recommend the seaplane. The rooms are very clean and everything you need is catered for room is clean every day and turned down nightly with clean beach towels left for the next day. We could not fault this hotel we have visited the Maldives 4 times and this is the best hotel yet.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank redhondaj16den

hello redhondaj16den..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your motivating review “This hotel is brilliant” on Trip Advisor.. It has been our pleasure making your stay a very memorable one and are extremely pleased to know that you've found us to be "the best hotel yet".. :) We look forward to welcoming you for your 5th Maldivian holiday, exceeding all other experiences.. Cheers, from the Management and all the staff, especially those mentioned..

Reviewed 27 September 2013

First off... ignore the negative reviews... this place is amazing!
Perfect flight with Thomson, we upgraded so it made it a lot better... get the sea plane... its worth the upgrade a lot of people we met who came on the boat were ill. Plus the sea plane views are picturesque.

On arrival we were greeted by a cold towel and a fresh juice, taken to our rooms quite swiftly. we were in room 312 which is a beach bungalow, for us it was perfect as we were right next to the pool and still had our own area of beach. but if you just love the beach the rooms 301 to 311 are the ones you want to request. The pool guy will set out your beds everyone morning so big thank you to him.

The food is amazing... so much variety. I even took some back to the room for my husband when he was ill. The waiters and chefs are lovely and bend over backwards for you. again I must stress the range of food is the best I have ever had for an all inclusive... and the drinks/cocktails

The barmen are my favorite and really made our evenings, coming over and taking drinks orders and bringing us drinks as soon as we arrived at the bar. with 16 of us at one point that's quite an order.

Joyce (the singer) and her husband were brilliant.. any request we asked for they could perform and if they didn't be sure they will know it by the following evening... unfortunately for other guests she allowed me to sing with her.

The snorkeling is brilliant, it was the first time i had done it, and it was out of this world. sharks, sting wrays, huge jacks, lion fish, octopus, turtles, so much more that we were fortunate to swim with. The night dive is scary but i did it and so glad i did.

sunset fishing is brilliant, you get to eat what you catch the next day, lobster dinner for 2 is lovely. and definitely get a kayak out! oh and make sure you watch feeding time at 5ish every day! and get all your washing done for $35. Thank you to the room boys they were brilliant and very accommodating

Go watch the sunset at the end of the water bungalows... its paradise! Make sure you tip as it is so worth it. we spent $750 in two weeks and about $100 of that was tipping. and we did quite a lot, plus we ran out of smokes half way through so were buying them for the 2nd week. so you could spend a lot less.

Go to the beach party on Thursdays...
bingo ... the guy needs to hurry up with the numbers!
don't both taking shoes.. you wont wear any!

The weather in Sept was lovely a couple of ten min storms... and some during the night... but its actually quite nice to break the humidity up!

Have an amazing time if you are fortunate to visit this beautiful island.
Until next year! x

Room Tip: beach bungalows were lovely, but if you aren't bothered about a bit of beach head for a garden o...
2  Thank beckhar

hello beckhar..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for taking time to share your experience “WOWEE! perfect honeymoon and company!”.. It has been our pleasure making your honeymoon every bit memorable and are glad to know that you've had a fabulous time here at Ellaidhoo - be it soaking up the sun, enjoying the amazing food, chatting with the staff, snorkelling in our magnificent house reef, having a relaxed evening or just having a fun time singing.. :) Until your next visit.. Cheers from the Management and all the staff, especially those mentioned..

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Without reiterating what most if not all the other reviews have said about this resort, I just wish to add a few extra points which I hope will help anyone considering spending time at Ellaidhoo. YES we had a super time, staying for 15 days.
Some argue about the so called 'star rating, but what exactly does this mean? For us we had NO complaints. OK, if you want cordon bleu, michelin star fine dining, then go elsewhere. The food was both well presented, with wide variety.
We would certainly recommend staying in a BEACH BUNGALOW, whilst as the name suggest all are 'on the beach', but not actually all have a sandy beach upon which to relax. So go for rooms 301 - 311, which are literally right on the one beach with soft sand 'heaven'!
There are also other 'standard rooms' but given the lush vegetation covering the island, not sure how much of a view they get.. The Water Bungalows looked OK, but there is is no direct access from them into the sea.
Noting comments about not wearing any footwear whilst at the resort, unfortunately unless you are used to walking round without footwear, I note of caution, the pathways appear to have a concrete /firm base, which was and somme still are covered with soft sand, but given time, wind and rain many of the paths need more sand, additionally tree roots and coral' dont help. So just take flip flops!
Not sure how you are booking, but book 'ALL INCLUSIVE', as prices for everything is expensive, plus addtional 10% service AND 8% tax added. We found the house wines, drinks etc provided in the AI packageall quite acceptable. You can purchase at extra cost branded drinks.
Staff are all very attentive, and therefore difficult to name anyone of particular merit, but I do pay tribute to Iqbal in the restaurant, watching the way he dealt with some guests who regularly wanted to sit at a table other than the one allocated to you for your entire stay. Quite entertaining moments seeing Iqbal 'move' guests to their proper table!
We were fortunate to get a sea plane trip from Male to the resort, even though not booked as part of our package, that took 20 minutes, we had a speedbpat for our return to Male, and that was 70 minutes 'door to door'. All VERY efficient. Great to also have a full breakfast at the resort upon our departure even at 5.15am.
Not sure what else to say, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
GO and ENJOY

Room Tip: Rooms 301 - 311 all on the Beach Did not consider Water Bungalows worth the extra cost
4  Thank baggyboy2
Andreana W, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

hellobaggyboy2..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your experience “WE had a FANTASTIC Time” on Trip Advisor, we are extremely pleased to know that.. :) It has been our pleasure making your stay very memorable and look forward to having you stay with us in the future as well.. Its an added bonus to know that you found the food well presented and varied in selection. We also thank you for your kind comments and appreciation.. Cheers from the Management and all the staff, especially those mentioned..

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Second time in the Maldives and second time here. Promised i'd be back,just didn't realise it would take 5 years to get round to it! Still the same beautiful place and still the friendliest staff on the planet. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff,as long as you were happy they were happy. The food was amazing,plentiful and varied, if you couldn't find anything to eat here you must be one heck of a fussy eater! We were greeted like old friends by our table waiter from our previous visit,who remembered us as if it was only last year not five! The dive centre had a full program of snorkel and diving trips for all standards,the night snorkel around the reef is a must, 1000's of fish of all sizes and colours, including sharks,rays, dolphins and even a trio of turtles can be seen at varying times of the day. The resort management prowl the island ensuring your needs are met and if anything was amiss they would see immediately that it was sorted. From the army of path sweepers at first light keeping the place spotless right up to Prem the big boss making sure you are enjoying your stay, everybody greets you with a beaming smile and a polite greeting. As I promised after my last time here,I will be back,I just hope it is not another 5 years.
Just a quick note...flight upgrade to Thomson Premium, well worth it if you are 6 foot and over,last time I was squashed with bruised knees for two 12 hour flights in Monarch cattle class,so this upgrade was a no brainer, the extra few inches are well worth it for definite if you are tall. Take a blow up pillow though,the seats become quite harsh after a couple of hours!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank DiverAsh

hello DiverAsh..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing you review “Still paradise...!” An even BIGGER thank you from all out here for returning to stay at Ellaidhoo. It has been our delight making your stay every bit memorable and exciting as it was on your first visit..It pleases us even more to know that you've had a fantastic holiday, enjoying every moment, especially the snorkelling in our spectacular house reef.. :) Until we welcome you yet again.. Cheers from the Management and all the staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellaidhoo Island
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Been to Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!