“Lovely two week break”

Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for two weeks mid October. The weather was overall pretty good, had a fair bit of rain in the evenings and a few odd showers here and there but mostly sunny and very hot. Make sure you take enough sun cream and high factors- the sun is very very strong.

We took the speed boat transfer which was quite choppy and took a lot longer than 90 mins, I would not recommend if you have back problems or pregnant as some of the landings were very hard and I was definetly aching from it the next day. Upgrading to the sea plane is $150 per person at the resort.

The resort is nice and the rooms are kept well cleaned. The outside bathroom started to smell a bit damp after a few days of rain and high humidity but you can't really help that. We had beach bungalow 320 which has a small sanded area before a wall to the lagoon, we had trees either side so only really got the sun in the afternoon.

The food is lovely, there's a good selection and always something new to try. The staff everywhere are lovely especially the first choice rep Gerard! The all inclusive cocktail menu could use updated, only a couple are actually nice and that's depending on who makes them! Ellaidho dream is my fav!

You could easily pack light, we didn't use it but they have a laundry service where you can get all your clothes washed for only $35 for your stay, as many times or items as you want!

Snorkelling is a must! Buy an underwater camera! I'm not a great swimmer so I didn't venture outside the wall much but you'll still see lots of fish in the lagoon. Be careful of the trigger fish.

Excursions are expensive, we only tried sunset fishing and failed to catch a fish!! But the sunset was beautiful and there were so many stars it was amazing!

Overall I loved it. Take a few good books,a snorkel, some sun cream and enjoy.

Hopefully we'll be back sometime...

Room Tip: 300-311 are true beach bungalows which actually sit on the main beach. 319 next door to us had sun a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellaidhoo_Team, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

hello Jennybelly17..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for choosing to holiday with us and for sharing your experience “Lovely two week break” on Trip Advisor. It has been our pleasure making your stay memorable and are glad to know that you'll return someday in the future. We are also thrilled to know that you've snorkelled in our magnificent house reef. :) Until we welcome you again to Ellaidhoo, Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here..

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed here for our Honeymoon for 10 nights in January this year. What an amazing place. We stayed in a beach bungalow which perfect. It was cleaned twice a day. Every night we came back from dinner our bed sheets were made into a pretty pattern..... Lovely touch :-)
The staff on the island were amazing and very helpful. The bar man (sorry can't remember name) even helped arrange an amazing candlelit beach dinner and made an amazing bouquet of flowers for myself :-)
Would definitely recommend and would visit this island again.
Thank you for making our honeymoon nod to remember.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellaidhoo_Team, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

hello Lic-nick-gain..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination and for taking time to share your experience “Honeymoon in Paradise” on Trip Advisor. It has been a delight making your stay very memorable and are truly pleased to know that you've enjoyed your time spent here. Looking forward to having you with us again. Until then, Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here at Ellaidhoo.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

It only got 4 stars because of the staff and the restaurant, otherwise it would have been 3 .
Let's start with the staff, there was a very warm welcome, a welcome drink and towel. They are at all times smiling and ready to try and help you. Our waiter Iqobal ( not spelt quite right) was excellent. Front desk it's worth noting that for most people visiting your resort all they want to do is get to their room not sit in reception filling in forms, give them the form and show then to their room, as most have three flights and 20 plus hours of travelling.
The chefs did an excellent job with the food, in its quality and presentation. It was also nice to see only small amounts of fresh food placed out , however the trays were refilled quickly , this meant the food was always fresh and not been left in the heat for too long.
I have issues with the room.. It was a basic room but did feel that it could and done with a very good deep clean. We also had a lot of problems in the room with Mosquitos and have never been bitten so many times in the 30 years that I have been travelling to far flung places. I did bring this to their attention and the supervisor went straight to the room to check it out. He did order a complete strip down of bed and the room to be sprayed. This did bring some sort of control but not enough. I complained again and then they sprayed room twice a day. In total I encountered 7 cockroaches in our room ! The resort is overrun by Mosquitos and I felt that they did not do enough of the fogging to keep some control of them.
In general the resort is looking tired and would benefit from new furniture and a good cleanup.
We were all inclusive which to be honest is the only way to be in the Maldives ,and most people were. Why when we are on an island with no means to get off do we have to wear wrist bands? Then also sign for our drinks. Come on wrist bands are so cheap !! The extras on the island are very expensive. Their is very little to beach around the island.
To finish apart from to many bites we had a relaxing time. Would I visit this island again no Sorry !!

3  Thank barnowlKent
Ellaidhoo_Team, Front Office Executive at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

hello barnowlKent..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your experience and comments on Trip Advisor. Heartfelt apologies that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us, but we've noted your concerns and will look into bettering the same. We do understand that most guests have a long journey, but filling in the registration form is a mandate requirement by the Tourism Board. However, we are pleased to know that you've enjoyed the culinary delights. Hoping you'd consider visiting us someday in the future, giving us the opportunity to delight you. Till then Cheers from all out here.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The seaplane lands and you are immediately greeted with a refreshing towel and a handshake from the staff.From that moment they made sure our 2 weeks on their small island was as enjoyable as possible.All are friendly and always have a "hello" for you,food is gorgeous,drink is plentiful and your glass is filled up as soon as you've finished.Apart from slight showers,the sun shone throughout the day.Well worth trying out,we would definitely go back again!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan G

hello 702alang..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your experience “A little piece of paradise” on Trip Advisor. It is our delight to know that you've had a wonderful holiday but more so cause you would definitely come back again.. :) Looking forward to welcoming you for another splendid and memorable time.. Until then, Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here at Ellaidhoo..

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just returned from our honeymoon - a week in Chaaya Reef. The resort was lovely and just what we needed - complete relaxation! The snorkelling here is AMAZING..the best we have ever experienced and we basically spent our days snorkelling, sunbathing by the beautiful infinity pool area, eating and sleeping! The main thing to point out about this hotel is that it is good value for money which i think agrees with most of the write ups here. If you want to experience the Maldives without it breaking the bank then Chaaya Reef is for you! If you want a 5 star experience in the Maldives then it is not the hotel for you. For us, the fact that we were in the Maldives, with the amazing snorkelling and feeling like you were in the middle of nowhere was perfect for what we were looking for. The all inclusive restaurant has plenty of choice and of relatively good quality. The staff were also overall very friendly and helpful. My two criticisms of the resort would maybe be the evening entertainment...i didnt think it was particularly good or well organised and the boat journey to the resort from Male. The boat journey was without a doubt horrific. I am usually a good sea traveller but i can honestly say that i was so scared on this journey - what should have been 90 minutes took 3 hours experiencing storms, the boat breaking down, no communication and no life jackets. We were told that we had a bad experience because of the waves and so i guess not everyone would experience this but be warned that it is a long journey on a boat that is really not cut out for that kind of trip i think. We decided to take the sea plane back but the sea plane is not cheap! I think the hotel should take some responsibility of the transport out to the resort...even if that is just having someone on the boat to let the passengers know that everything will be ok - a little bit or reassurance which i think we lacked. The resort was mainly filled by German and British couples.

1  Thank Chihiro1

hello Chihiro1..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for taking time to share your review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to know that you've had a wonderful honeymoon and found us to be a “Good value for money hotel”. It is a great pleasure to know that you've experienced the snorkelling in our magnificent house reef and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and hope you'd consider returning to stay with us during sunnier days. Until then, Cheers from the Management and all the staff.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just returned from Chaaya Reef, and what a wonderful holiday it was.
This resort was beautiful.... it may have a sea wall, which i noticed other reviewers complaining about (how they didn't see it before they booked a holiday to the resort is beyond me) but this serves a practical purpose, as as anyone who has ever been here knows the marine life a few feet beyond the wall is staggeringly breath taking!!! and that's no exaggeration.
The beach on the island does not surround the entire island, but its still a substantial beach area and to complain is just being picky, which again i notice other guests have.
Regarding the food and drink options the choice and service was 1st class.
The accommodation was very nice, yes i'm sure there are more chic, posh alternatives, but they normally come with a much, much higher price tag... i honestly believe it would be difficult for anyone to complain about the rooms here which i found to be large enough, very clean, well maintained and had good amenities.
As a new diver, the dive center here at the resort was fantastic.

For anyone wanting a holiday in the Maldives which wont BREAK the bank i honestly believe you can't do much better then Chaaya Reef, it's a little gem.

4  Thank georgezippy

hello georgezippy..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
Thank you for sharing your very motivating review “Amazing” on Trip Advisor. It has been our pleasure making your stay very memorable and are thrilled to know that you've had a wonderful holiday. :) It is an even better satisfaction to know that you did your very first dive here at Ellaidhoo, experiencing our amazing house reef with its myriad collection of coral and fishes. Looking forward to welcoming you for many more splendid holidays.Cheers from the Management and all the staff out here at Ellaidhoo.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This review is quite late as we visited Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo for two weeks this June but I wanted to share our experiences and hopefully provide some helpful tips about the island to anyone who is thinking of going.

Overall we had a great holiday and felt that the resort offered very good value for money. We booked a 2-week AI deal with First Choice for £1250 pp. It is important to remember however that this is a 3+ star hotel and my review is based on what it offers as a low-budget Maldives option. I booked this holiday first and foremost because of the snorkelling.

Island and Beach
I researched extensively before going so I knew that Ellaidhoo was not a picture-perfect Maldivian island. On the whole though, it is quite beautiful. It was nice to see how the traditional plants and trees have been cultivated and looked after so the island has a very natural feel. I have to say that the beach was a bit of a disappointment, the true bit of beach stretches from the dive school to the WVs but this was often busy and has a view of a sort of red and white radio post which spoils the outlook a bit. I realise this sounds really picky but we have seen much better beaches at much cheaper destinations (Cuba, Mexico, Antigua) so if you are going for the beach you might be disappointed. The rest of the island has concrete piers that are built out into the lagoon with small bits of beach inbetween. This is the place to see the baby black tip sharks in the shallows! If you are lucky you can get a sunbed on one of these piers which is nice and also keeps you out of reach of mosquitos.

Room
We stayed in a Garden Room which exceeded my expectations. Very large and comfortable and kept very clean by our room boy. The bathroom was spacious and quite lovely but I just didn’t like showering outside, what with the bats in the trees and the mosquitos and the occasional cockroach. It was definitely an experience! They do supply shower gel and shampoo etc. and again the bathroom was kept very clean. The room is quite dark but we were just there to sleep so that was fine.

House Reef
We thought the snorkelling was fantastic! I've never snorkelled in the Maldives before but have snorkelled in Egypt and the Caribbean. We saw so many varieties of fish including puffer fish, file fish, jacks, oriental sweetlips, anenome fish, trigger fish and groupers. We also regularly saw white tip sharks and saw the turtle just once, despite hunting for it every day afterwards! No rays except a large stingray under the pier. We tended to go out through the exit nearest the dive school and then swim up past the WVs. Once you've passed all the WVs we found that this end point was the best place to see large shoals of fish. We found the current was always quite strong and once or twice this made going in/out of the sea defence wall difficult. I think the current would be less of a problem in the dry season. We were advised to swim against the current and then when you get tired, turn around and drift back to your original entry point. Remember to wash your ears out with fresh water after to avoid ear infections.

We were really very impressed with the food. We’ve stayed at five-star AI hotels and thought the food at Ellaidhoo was lovely, very good choice, very well cooked and no tummy bugs! We both loved the fact that they served more regional food (not sure if it is traditional Maldivian or traditional Sri Lankan as lots of the staff seemed to be Sri Lankan) but the curries, dhal etc were delicious. I have to add that neither of us are big fans of Indian food. I particularly liked the speciality Indian breads that they served, I liked the one that puffed up! For breakfast I would normally have a crepe or a waffle while BF would go for cooked breakfast: bacon and sausage, mini burger, omelette cooked to order. There was a good selection of fresh fruit on offer for breakfast accompanied by some tinned fruit and muesli, yoghurt, etc. Each meal would feature a choice of fish or meats that were cooked to order by the chefs. Was very impressed with the hygiene standards and all chefs were very friendly and skilled. Our waiter was nice and very swift. We also met a nice man who I think was the restaurant manager who was very friendly and chatty. The only negative point really was the cocktails available on AI. They were just not nice and I ended up not drinking them which was a shame.

Mosquitos
We got bitten pretty badly, I think some of the reviews don't reflect this as people have stayed in WVs but if you are staying in a garden room you will need to bring good repellent. We used 1.5 bottles of Jungle Formula and still had to buy Citronella in the shop. I'd advise on covering up, especially in the evening.

I hope this proves helpful, if you’re looking for somewhere peaceful to snorkel and enjoy nice food with friendly staff and don’t want to spend a fortune I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this island!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms are fine if you don't want to spend much time in them. Bring mosquito repellent and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank msy24

hello msy24..
Greetings from Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo..
We appreciate you taking time to share your experience “Good value holiday for snorkelling” in detail and thank you for the same. An even bigger thanks, cause you "wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this island!" It is our pleasure to read that you've had a pleasant and memorable stay, and have taken into consideration those areas for improvement. We are very pleased that you've thoroughly enjoyed the snorkelling, food and room facilities. Looking forward to welcoming you for a whole lot more. Cheers from the Management and all the staff. :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellaidhoo Island
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!