“Our little piece of paradise”

Cinnamon Hakuraa Huraa Maldives
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hakuraa Island
Worcester, England
“Our little piece of paradise”
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We visited Hakurra from Sri Lanka as part of a twin centre holiday with Virgin for our 20th wedding anniversary.
On our transfer day we flew with Sri lankan airways from Columbo very early morning in the hope of spending a full day at Hakurra, however our hopes were dashed due to a power cut at Male airport which left the seaplane departures in total chaos. After trying to get through customs ASAP (after completing swine flu declaration and being asked whether we were carrying any alcohol which we weren’t and observed many random searches with bottles taken from some travellers)- We ended up waiting 4 hours before being able to board our seaplane. The most frustrating part was watching some other resorts being given priority. The seaplane lounge is an interesting and comfortable place to wait though and cold drinks were available at a reasonable cost. After making a nuisance of myself to staff we finally got our sea-plane at lunchtime, the Canadian pilots (barefooted!) were very friendly and amusing. This is an amazing experience and the views below are breathtaking; a camera/video is a necessity and although it’s a bit hot and noisy its FAB.
Despite reading every review (Many times over I add!) and looking at all the pictures on TA our arrival at Hakurra was better than I could have ever imagined – the sun was shining on a crystal clear turquoise ocean and the beauty of it is beyond my words. After a quick transfer by Dhoni we were walking down the jetty to be met by Manager Raj with welcome cold towels and drinks. Due to waiting for other passengers to arrive we were offered lunch before our welcome meeting. Much to the delight of everyone (including staff) the next seaplane landed on the beach, what a way to arrive!!
After a wonderful lunch we were taken to our water bungalow, number 126. Our luggage was waiting for us and the rooms really are stunning. Much larger than imagined, beautifully clean and the view – well totally beautiful, it looked like our own personal reef. The decks are large and private and we pulled open the doors and curtains and wasted no time in getting in the water. The current is very strong here and can make swimming difficult but the snorkelling was brilliant and worth the effort. You really do need water shoes because of the sharp coral underfoot. Weather was amazing – (we were lucky after 2 weeks poor weather with rain)
Our room boy Habib was so friendly and always made an excellent job of keeping our room clean and tidy. On our last night he left us 2 lovely palm leaf birds on our bed. On the note of bathrooms, as previously noted not superb standard but come on - do you really notice? The glass viewing panel in the room was bigger than it looked and we saw lionfish, parrot fish, two puffer fish and a reef shark as well as numerous colourful small fish in and out of the coral. We took an extension lead to enable us to charge all our cameras.
After reading a previous review we packed a few crisps, sweets and nuts with us. What a total waste of time, we were so full from the amazing selection of food that we ended up taking it all back with us. The restaurant was lovely, on our 2nd day our table was moved to the edge of the room so that we had a wonderful view of the beach and some of the breeze from the sea. Our waiter Adam was so friendly and attentative, he talked with us and made our mealtimes very pleasant ; our drinks were often waiting at the table for us. The selection of food is some of the best I have seen – Breakfast : fresh bread and rolls, pastries and croissants, cold meats and salad, sausage, potato, curry and rice, fresh grilled bacon, omelette and eggs cooked to order and fresh waffle or pancake. Always fresh fruit and juices try cucumber and water melon. Lunch – fresh bread and rolls, soup, salads, fresh fish, pasta cooked to order, various curry, vegetables and meat, beautiful puddings and fresh fruit. Dinner – as per lunch but with more choices of curry and always a joint of meat and the best Naan bread you will ever taste – Puddings to die for! The presentation is superb with so much attention to detail. It was great having the same table, we met some lovely people who shared our enjoyment of Hakurra to talk about the days diving experiences and the great views. We heard the word Paradise and perfect said so many times. Hi to Ann & Gary who sat next to us and to Dave and Chris on their honeymoon.
No hard sell for special dinners, we were asked once and declined with no pressure; on our last night we bought a bottle of wine and had our meal on the outside veranda next to the beach. A beautiful end to our holiday.
The diving was the real reason we visited the Maldives, although my husband is qualified I am not and after finding out through a fab forum www.chaayamaldivesforum.co.uk that I could take a resort dive and dive with my husband I was well pleased. The forum is a wealth of real knowledge and advice from previous travellers and dive staff at Hakurra – Thanks Tracy.
Hubby did his check dive with Anne – I did my resort dive with Magic – he is the most patient, kind and encouraging teacher you could ever ask for. I was very somewhat anxious and at times felt I could not do the tasks required. His encouragement and persistence did the trick and after a short dive in the lagoon I was able to join my husband on the following afternoon boat dive. Dive set up is great with 2 consecutive 60 min boat dives in the morning with a 1 hour break to travel to alternative site . His dream was to see turtles or sharks or even Manta. His first 2 dives with Derek surpassed his expectations and he was lucky enough to see everything in 1 dive, the 3 Manta being his real highlight. On our dive together, Magic’s kindness and support was immeasurable and I was so lucky to see a beautiful turtle gracefully swim past me.WOW! He never let go of my hand except to take a photo and I always felt safe – we now have a lovely photo of us diving together to remind us of our amazing experience. Hubby also wanted to mention Amjay and the boat boys who do so much for you!
The beach was beautiful, powder white sands and was usually empty, the lagoon empties with the tide leaving pools of warm water to lie in to cool down. The walk along the jetty is not to be missed when the tide is coming in as the sealife is stunning, rays and reef shark often frequent the area to feed. Couples often congregate at the end of the beach to watch the sun set together - very romantic and truly stunning.
The bar was a great place to meet with lovely views of the lagoon around you. Hi to our lovely German friends! The crab racing a real hoot and not to be missed, good selection of drinks and great service. Snacks available in the afternoon and night, watch out for the crows who will steal from your plate if given the opportunity. The disco was too loud but the underwater film brilliant to watch. Thanks Magic!
I used the Spa for a pedicure, it took 90 minutes and was so amazingly relaxing, I would have had more treatments if time had allowed. Very relaxing and a professional with friendly and happy therapists.
On our final day we were so sad to leave; after an early breakfast and time to say goodbye to everyone Raj waved us off. Seaplane journey with some rain was a little bumpy, but as beautiful as our arrival. Homeward flight with Sri Lanka – excellent, after joining flysmiles we reserved seats 10 H&K there and back, loads of leg room excellent service, wide choice of meals and drinks and good movies. On a last note the service from Virgin reps at Male airport was outstanding - Thanks for that guys!
Overall we had an amazing holiday. This is the most beautiful place we have ever seen and it will always reserve a special place in our hearts – so much so we are looking to return in 2010

7 Thank TheHardings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We stayed at the resort for 2 weeks near the beginning of August for our honeymoon. The welcome we received was wonderful- cold towels, iced tea and friendly smiles. Unfortunately, our stay was marred a bit by the awful weather.....we only had 3 days of sunshine (although this is not usual for August)! Therefore, perhaps our review woud have been different if it had been sunshine all the way as when it constantly rains, you get to see some of the hotel's imperfections surfacing.

Rooms
Our baggage was taken to our rooms for us which was wonderful after our long flight. We stayed in a water bungalow and our room was much bigger than expected and furnished well. As with all other reviews, we confirm the bathrooms were a little tired. The lighting was poor and our shower ran quite cool after about 10 minutes (maybe okay if you're there when it's sunny!). Raj, the manager, explained that the bathrooms were being renovated next year (May, June and July) and so you may consider waiting until after this date before going. The glass panel in the floor was fab and we got to learn a lot about the fish swimming under it in our time there. The room had a DVD player which was invaluable for those rainy days together with english 3 pin sockets.

The one thing which took us by surprise is how noisy the rooms are. The rooms have a circus top roof in the centre and when it rains, the noise is amplified 10 fold and you have to shout to be heard. Take earplugs or be prepared to have sleepless nights!

The best ever! We have never met such friendly staff and have never encountered such great room service. Rooms were cleaned twice a day and we always had fresh towels. We were assigned our own waiter, Moosa, who couldn't have done enough for us during our stay and made us feel very welcome.

Facilities
We used the gym twice which is a bit tired but the machines do work. The spa seems to be quite new and is fabulous- the best massage my husband and I have ever had and not a bad price either. There is also a dartboard and table tennis. There are various trips you can sign up to but unfortunately, nearly all ours were delayed for about a week until the worst of the weather had passed,

The one comment we would have is that the hotel could try and put more activities on during the days, especially when it's raining. We spoke with another couple who felt the same and we considered the possibilities of a cookery lesson, quiz, movie screening (there is a big screen and popcorn in the bar!). However, there wasn't anything and so the rainy days were all about cards, books and DVD's!

Great choice and variety for all meal times. Lunch time is particularly great for curry lovers (there are usually 4 curries to choose from- all delicious!). We had lobster on the beach for $90 on the penultimate night and can highly reccommend this. We thought it was excellent value and very romantic.

Sea plane
We were unlucky to be delayed by 4 hours on the way out and 3 hours on the way back to Male. The first was due to the weather and the second appeared to be due to the hotel's error (we made check in by about 5 minutes! Not a stress free end to a fairly relaxed holiday). The hotel staff didn't seem too bothered or helpful. We didn't take earplugs for the flight and didn't miss them.

All in all, the holiday was great when the sun was out but there is very little to do if you get bad weather. The staff helped to make the stay as good as possible though. Not sure if we would return as the price is pretty steep when you compare the resort to the Caribbean where we have previously stayed and was just as good.

1 Thank taliward
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Well this being our honeymoon i had high expectations.. the fight over was good no complaints there except the choice of movies was dreadful and the food was spicy... but a good start to get you used to it for your stay here... Curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i swear if i see another curry i will hit someone!!!!! :)

When we landed in our sea plane everyone is so lovely and Raj is such a happy polite kind man, who explained everything so clearly.... like asking people not to go to the adjoining island as it belongs to the government, but some people cannot follow simple requests... how rude they are....

We had a beach bungalow room 170, amazing view and area... the staff are so polite and helpful. how ever.... do not forget to bring your own snacks and scissors and nail files as you cannot get them here, make sure to bring reef shoes. there is one single shop here, which is all it needs really, but it needs more stock, like crisps biscuits, popcorn, stuff to nibble on as they over charge for things like peanuts and orange juice.

the hotel charge you $5 for 10 minutes on their internet, yet will sell you a wi fi card that lasts 10 hours for $11 doesnt make sense. if you dont like indian food dont come here, as its wall to wall curry... even on italian night it somehow tastes of curry and the food isnt that hot....

we wont mention the weather as that is not in the hands of the staff or poor Raj, but he does supply you with great rain jackets.... really fashionable!!!! :)

we came for sun sea and relaxation..... we got the latter!!!!!!

I dont think i would come back, its too far away and the flight is too long, and the weather too much like home except you feel your bungalow is going to come away and you will drift off somewhere.....

over all i cannot fault teh place as everything i have a problem with is personal taste.... the staff are helpfull and polite, and the massages are out of this world.

2 Thank Fidelma66
Leamington spa
Reviewed 5 August 2009

My wife and i visited Hakuraa Huraa end of June/beginning of July for two weeks.
I figured i had better write a review seeing as others who shared their experiences helped me decide if i should visit here or not.
However this was my second trip to this island having visited about 5 years ago. I believe the average guests present on the island who have been before is about 10% at any given time.
We flew Monarch airlines and paid for the extra legroom. Overall i thought the flight was ok. Never going to be perfect but i got there and back in one piece so can’t complain. The only advice i would give is book the extra legroom if you can and take some soft drinks on the flight with you. Everything, including water is chargeable. It is worth noting that on the return flight we were given the same seat numbers.
On arrival at Male it was very easy to get to where you are meant to be. In fact it i would say easier than Gatwick! We had about a twenty minute wait for our sea plane. I know some have to wait longer but it is a lovely place to sit with drinks available.
On arrival at the island we had the traditional meeting with Raj. He filled you in on all the details necessary to enjoy your stay on the island.
We were in room 148. Before arrival at the island i had read a lot about room numbers and how some were better than others in regards to sunlight etc. Ours was in the middle and it was perfect. To be honest worrying about what room you are in is a non issue. I noticed on previous reviews that some people complained about a sewage smell. None was obvious during our stay and we were opposite the sewage plant. There was no noise issue either.
Meal times, pretty much what you organised your two weeks around were always nice. There was plenty of choice and everything was hot and fresh. If i had one complaint with the food it was the fact that i was a greedy bugger. I tried to be sensible but this just never worked out. Overall there is plenty of choice. I can see how some people get sick of it after 2 weeks but i felt personally what people got fed up with was eating in general. You are eating 3 good size meals a day and doing very little in between.
There are a number of special meals available. We never did any but anyone who did would recommend them. They do try any sell these to you but it is not hard sell and a no is accepted without you feeling awkward.
We only spent a small amount of time in the bar. Neither my wife or i drink so our only visits were brief. However it is nice to sit there with a book and have a drink and just enjoy the day.
While i spent most of my mornings diving my wife was in the Spa. The diving was amazing and everyone was great fun. Tim, Anne and Derek were all great to dive with. Amjey, the lad who sorted your tanks etc was always on hand. To be honest he did so much for me that i almost felt quilty. The boat lads were also great and very helpful.
I also had the pleasure of seeing my first Whale Shark!

Now for the Spa. My wife should write this bit really. I think my wife spent 9 hours their overall. It really was the highlight of the holiday for her. The girls were amazing. Everything about the Spa was amazing. Even if you only have one treatment it is well worth it. Incredibly relaxing.

I did pop into the gym a couple of times. Although basic it did the job. The gym contained free weights up to 100kg, running machine, cross trainer and bike. I can’t say they are in the best condition but they are suitable.

The weather was good. First couple of days it was cloudy and we then had the worst down poor i have ever seen. The next 11 days were perfect. Humid though. Clothes wise just keep everything light. There is an excellent laundry service that seems reasonably priced.

We did the dolphin excursion but that was it for trips. I thought it was pretty good. We found the dolphins but they were not really in the mood to play. We spent about 40 minutes with them but most were quick glances. However when i came 5 years ago we spent about an hour with them and they were swimming along the boat. It really is pot luck.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Nothing seemed too much for them. As an example one dinner time my wife was too ill to come to dinner. My wife was 8 weeks pregnant at the time and was struggling in the evenings with sickness. Robert, one of the managers asked if there was anything he could do. I said she would be fine but they were very keen to help if they could. In the end they made my wife an omelette that i could take back to the room. This was not on the menu and they made it special. Now i know it is only an omelette but it is just a sign of their kindness and it meant everything to my wife and i. Needless to say the omelette was greatly appreciated and not by the fish!!

There is so many reviews on here and nearly all are complimentary. There is a very good reason for this. The island is amazing and very well kept. The food is great and the rooms perfect. However what really clinches it for me is the staff. Everyone, from the manager to the ladies sweeping the footpaths are amazing. I loved it here, would recommend it 100% and i am sure if you decide to go here you will have the time of your life.

I hope this helps.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank backrow6
leicester
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We went 2 weeks ago....this place is abt 45 minutes from male,we had to wait an hour and a bit for a sea plane,which we wernt best pleased about after16 hours..of flying and being at the airport....

But once at HAKURAA HURAA...it was all forgotten,this place is very nice and its a perfect place to relax,and recharge your batteries,its quite a small island but its suprising how time goes.

Restaurant - Amazing food and a lot of choice for vegetarians,the HEAD CHEF GAMINI is very helpful and always willling to help,he gives that personal touch which you hardly get nowadays..thank you very much.

BAR - its quite a nice Bar and good place t o meet other guest and have a drink,on certain days they have entairtenment such as bingo,disco,crab race,etcThe drinks are quite good on all Inclusive.

ROOMS - Rooms are quite nice and clean,the bathrooms were not bad...then again we had braced ourselves not to expect much and we were pleasently suprised as our bathroom wasnot bad at all....and it was very clean.the roomboys do a very good job.We stayed in a water Bungalow

Excursions - are bit pricey but you have to expect this when you go on holiday,we di dthe dolphin excursion.

Overall we would definetly recommend this hotel,its small has a personal touch and staff are just great.the only regret we have is we didnt book a longer holiday....

Also thanks to Raj the Manager,who is always helpful.......

Our advice would be ..its a perfect place to relax..but if you are expecting lots of late nites and activites to do all the time then this is not the place..its mostly to relax,read,eat and pamper yourself in some stunning sorroundings

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank prits-seema
preston
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This is a really late review, but just reading through some of the other reviews on here, made me remember how fantastic this hotel and the whole experience was! In fact I think I took it a little for granted when I was there, so would plan on going back in the not too distant future!!
This hotel is fantastic value for money - the rooms are gorgeous, the sea life wonderful and the food is great!
The only thing I would say it does lack is a pool, for those occasions when the tide was out etc, but even this is a totally minor thing and didnt spoil our holiday one bit.
We got engaged on the beach here, where we had a private meal on the beach with our own waiter and coral with fairy lights round it etc...was beautiful and I will never forget it!!

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank beebbob
Coventry
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Wow wow wow!!
When our sea plane landed at our hotel, I had a tear in my eye because it was so lovely.
Better than the post cards.....

Chaaya Lagoon was great. We are so glad we went all inclusive, and the food was of the highest standard every day, with lots and olots of choice at every meal time.

The staff at the hotel were most welcoming too!!

We spent 9 nights at Chaaya Lagoon and enjoyed every minute. We were both very sad to be leaving!

We stayed in a water bungalow, and hearing the wind and waves in the evening was magical.

The only downside about the room was the bathroom. It was in dire need of updating, but this didn't spoil our honeymoon in anyway.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Neema75

Been to Cinnamon Hakuraa Huraa Maldives? Share your experiences!