Sun Island Resort and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Holiday Island Resort & Spa(Maamingili Island)
  • Beachfront
LUX* South Ari Atoll(Dhidhoofinolhu Island)
Mirihi Island Resort(Mirihi)
  • Pool
Oliva Palm Cottages(Dhigurah Island)
  • Breakfast included
Vakarufalhi Island Resort(Vakarufalhi Island)
  • Restaurant
Maafushivaru(Southern Ari Atoll)
2,929 results
All reviewswater bungalowmain barshark feedingsun island resortitalian restaurantsea planebeach barour waiterfishwater sportscoffee shopour honeymoonhired bikesroom boyper dayhalf boardsuperior beach bungalow
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2013

NOTE FOR TRIPADVISOR STAFF: we traveled to Maldives in November 2010. I have not posted a review then since I was not a very active member on tripadvisor and I didn`t see this hotel on tripadvisor. Please adjust the date if my HTML hack didn`t work (I am a web developer, I took the liberty of modifying the select values so that I can send "10,2010". Thank you :)

From far the most beautiful and peaceful resort and island we ever visited. We stayed no more than 7 nights, but it was enough to charge our batteries for the winter :). We hope to return soon

Our tour operator told us that we will never like another vacation after we visit Maldives. I hat to say, but she said the bare truth. This is an excellent value for the money.

They have very nice personnel, everybody you may contact speaks fluently English. Even the "green care" team knows a bit of English and if you won`t understand each other, they use very effectively the sign language (someone thought me how to cut and drink a coconut).

The front desk area has a permanent relaxing music, you can almost hear it... it`s so silent... brilliant design.

For the period of your stay, you will have the same table with a very nice sea view, the same very polite waiter (GREETINGS TO AMIL!!!), you will never have problems with the tables. Although a bit different than the European cuisine, they have very various and very tasty food (with Indian influences), the deserts are melting in your mouth (fruit/chocolate/vanilla/... mousse).

The beach is just wonderful. You can`t get enough of it. The sand is of such a white... and if you like snorkeling, you`ll see there what you haven`t seen on TV! Scuba diving is also available on the island`s port.

There is no sea as clear or of a nicer blue (crystal blue) in the whole world (so far nowhere we went in vacation). The water is not deep at all, actually you`ll get angry that the water is not really that deep to have a good snorkeling session. Anyway, 100-200 meters from the beach the coral reef ends and the water gets really deep (perfect for scuba).

You will love their pool once you see it by night, it is lighted by fiber optics on it s bottom... magical.

Will definitely come back here, but there are so many other places to visit in this world that we don`t know when to cover them all..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dorin C
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you don't like this place, you will probably not like anything anymore. This is true paradise on earth. Crystal clear water, amazing beauty, the nature is just unbelievable, the staff is friendly. We were living in the beach bungallow, which was like 10m from the water, I couldn't get enough of the amazing view...You should rent bikes to explore the whole island. It is a little bit tiring to walk from one end to another. Also try the sting ray feeding and the shark feeding. It's not a usual thing :-) This was my best trip of all times. Even if it took us so long to get there. But totally worth it. My best trip of all times! Don't forget your snorkeling equipment!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank viktoriaok
Reviewed 8 June 2013

we had a grate time in Sun island resort for conducting the rescue program for the resort staffs.we are very thankful for the hospitality that provided by the management of Sun island. me and our team assure that Sun island resort & spa participants are skilled in saving life in any emergency. Great team work in Sun island resort. keep going....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank visham A
Reviewed 7 June 2013

went for a special birthday and could not think of any were in the world I would of rather had been, upgrade to a water bungalow if you get the chance the fish you see is out of this world if you go under the bungalow whilst swimming, all colours even seen a nurse shark and a stingray the food is amazing fresh every thing, got to try the midnight fishing and walk around the island for a bit of exercise , gin and tonic was nice as well as a nice cold beer on the night make sure you dink loads of water as it very humid on the evenings and red hot in the day. Try the spa its a wonderful experience you are in your own private garden with a hot tub lady called poo did my massage it was very relaxing.

Room Tip: water bungalows a must if you have the cash or wait till you get there for upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lorraine f
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Had 15 nights here in April & loved it. My first trip to The Maldives after my partner (who had been thrice) nagged me to go & I finally capitulated.
Getting there was stressful: flew with Etihad (excellent) to Abu Dhabi (3 hour wait) then to Male (2.5 hour wait) then to Mimiglia Island - 3/4 hour transfer to speedboat to Sun Island. All in all, 25 hours travelling. There are direct flights & that's the only was we'd return.
We emailed Iyyaz & sorted out an upgrade to a room in the 159-178 block which is definitely the best location on the island in our opinion. Thankyou to him - he's a credit to the company & his bosses should appreciate him!! He also sorted out a brilliant restaurant table adjacent to the beach which was really nice. The upgrade was worth every penny - do it!!
Thanks to Mahmoon who served us brilliantly in the bar - he's a class above the other waiters! And a mention to the chefs who were cheery people & always ready for a bit of banter.
All in all, we loved the island - who wouldn't? 32 degrees air temp down to 26 at night, with sea temp of 29 degrees. Simply brilliant.
Downsides? One or two only. Russians.... it was wall-to-wall Ruskies & they're generally rude to staff with never a "please" or a "thank you" but simply grunts to indicate their preferences. They are a different breed to us & it doesn't always gel nicely. There was only a dozen or so Brits there from the 900 guests.
I must also comment on the running of the main restaurant: Russian kids were allowed to run riot in the place until we (& others) complained vehemently about them. This was resolved - but the management should have nipped the problem in the bud before it developped to the point where they were receiving complaints.
Dress code for the restaurant needs enforcing & toughening up. Everyone on the island must have packed decent clothes for evening dining, yet there were many people dressed in tank tops & several who looked as if they'd just come off the beach. Sun Island needs to decide its future as to whether it is a down-market destination or (please!!) upgrade to a little higher status.
Anyway, we loved the place & can't wait to return. Highly recommended - simples!

Room Tip: As stated 159 thru 179 & also ask for a beachfront table! All-inc is around £75 a day more so probably not worth it for light drinkers!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple