We went 2 couples in September, Spent almost 18 hours of our travel time waiting at airports for flight changes (12 hours waiting time for 50 minutes flight in empty airport at Sri Lanka Colombo!) but thats a Virgin Holidays issue not resort.
About the resort, booked all-inclusive experience and was expecting at least the same as we get when going to Dominican republic but no- its very very limited.
Thins that's gone wrong:
- Location - we expected it to be far from main atol island with airport mamagili or something but it was actually so close you could see it all the time in the distance, still much more exotic than Domincan Republic
- Deluxe Bungalows pretty poor standard, ants everywhere found one cockroach
- Food very limited comparing to what you get in Dominican Republic (good deserts though)
- Staff unfriendly, you will get full mini bar in your room but they wont tell you that some things are not free for all-inclusive and you will find that out next day when a surprise bill comes in
- Cheeky move with cheap underwater camera on a table looking as free but when you open the box they will charge a bill of 25$, refuse to pay that bill
- island is huge and to get anywhere you really need a bicycle which is 5$ a day( or more fo one with a bucket in front)
- all inclusive drinks are very limited, forget about free coktails etc.
- we arrived as 4 people but initially were told we are not allowed to sit together at the dinner, which i made allowed after expressing my anger for this funny policy
- views are beautifull unless you dont mind bags of sand visible after shore being washed, it stayed like that for the whole stay
- waiters pretend to be friendly, you wont get a good service untill making a complain
- not really much to do in the evenings, aprat from shark and stingray feeding, no entertainment
Beautifull Views, had a good weather (week of storms before our arrival as we were told), great location for pictures, sunsets, swimming pool, deserts, free internet in coffe bar
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sun Island measuring about 1.6 km in length and around 380 meters in width has 350 elegantly furnished guestrooms, including 72 water bungalows, out of which, 4 are Presidential Suites, 218 Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows and 60 Deluxe Beach Bungalows. All Deluxe and Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows are built on the beach ensuring a direct view of the shore and sea. All Water Bungalows are built on stilts in the lagoon overlooking the vast horizon of either the sunrise or sunset view, from your private deck. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sun Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Island Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Sun Island Resort Maldives
- Sun Island Maldives
- Hotel Sun Island