“Nice island, good staff.”
Review of Sun Island Resort

Sun Island Resort
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Nice island, good staff.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This island is big with roughly 550 rooms. It is very helpful to hire bicycle since some rooms on the island are 10 minutes walking from the restaurant. We stayed first on Vila garden which are not on the beach and than on standard bungalow which was 10 meters from the sea and had private beach bed . The two minus in the hotel is the restaurant which is huge and with standard food, and the entertainment which was some how poor. The staff is very nice. We stayed on HB base, which was good because we eat lunch on the Thai Italian and the natural restaurants which were nice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Uric170

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This island is stunning. Rooms are kept clean and the view from them is breath taking with views of the ocean. Food is nice but can't say much for the entertainment. A crab race doesn't really appeal to me. Seen some 6ft sharks and got to stroke some sting rays! Overall a really nice, relaxing holiday.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nova d
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here during our honeymoon for 5 nights. On arriving at Male airport, we presented ourselves at the Villa Resorts counter. The staff then escorted us to the domestic terminal next door, from where we boarded the flight to Maamigili. At Maamigili, we boarded a bus to the jetty and Sun Island was a 15 min boat ride away. Our bags were directly transferred to the resort and to our rooms. The entire process was very efficient. The moment we arrives at the resort, we were mesmerised by the natural beauty of the island. No words can describe the picturesque view of white sand and turquoise water in from of us. The island is about a kilometre long with a lot of greenery. We stayed at the superior beach bungalows with an ocean view. Our rooms were very comfortable and clean but not luxurious. The rooms opened into the beach and had a stunning ocean view. The resort has a lot of activities which kept us busy throughout our trip. The pool is amazing. The diving centre is PADI certified and we enjoyed our first tryst with scuba diving. The house reef itself has lots of coral and fish. Guests should book their diving trips as soon as they arrive as the slots get filled up very fast. The water sports centre has lots of activities to choose from like jet ski, para sailing, canoeing, tow boats, tri-maran and catamaran sailing etc. We booked all the activities at the ‘carnival’ held on one of the days during our stay and availed a lot of discount- 50% on scuba diving, 15% on water sports! We also visited the spa, which is huge and set in tranquil surroundings. The spa treatment was good enough but not great (if compared to Thailand and Bali). A negative for us was the food quality. We had opted for half board which included breakfast and dinner buffets. While the spread was lavish, the quality of food offered was at best passable. However, the beauty of Maldives more than made up for these shortcomings. Overall, we had the most amazing time and did not find anything too bad to stop us from recommending this resort. Sun Island rocks!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moni8623
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This Island was great fun, a larger island than some others. Great grounds, perfect water villa and exclusive service! There was lots to do and lots of bars and restaurants around the island.

Swim up swimming pool was great and bar staff would service you at the pool and beach areas (not all islands have this). Food was great and the diving was awesome too.

Can't fault this island.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devren
Japan
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel is something like a Business Hotel or Guest House. This is 2nd time to come to maldives for me. Staff have less smile rather than another Maldives' hotel with same price range. I thought this hotel have less smile. If the price is more cheap such as half or 3/5, it's OK.

With this price range (around $150 per room or more in this season), I expect more decent service with smile. Staff is something like an untrained local people. It's ok if they are just a local people but it's not ok because they are hotel staff.

1. Staff at arrival boat doesn't have good smile
2. Staff at check-in doesn't have good smile
3. Staff at restaurant doesn't have good smile
4. I asked question on front desk but staff doesn't have smile.

I felt they are working reluctantly.

I think this is not a service of "resort hotel". This is a service of Business Hotel or Guest House definitely.

In addition to that, I frequently regard as Chinese whereas I'm Japanese. I don't feel well for this.

When I went to restaurant, I didn't know the table is supposed to be assigned by staff at first. I just sit first, and then staff becomes angry with frustration, and then said "this is not your seat. go to counter" without smile. Actually, if he is a staff, he must say it gently with smile. He must not be angry. This is my mistake but staff must correct it with gentle manner if this hotel alleges a "resort hotel". This is not a service of "resort hotel".

Another experience:
When I check-in, staff is standing in front of the door until I give him a tip. I felt how he is gruff. The Welcome Drink was just water with dip of lemon. I don't understand why not juice in this price ranges. Then, I was asked to pay at first when check-in by staff with a look of dubiousness. I don't know why staff was something like that but staff may regard me as Chinese. The check-in paper was Chinese language at first.

Another experience:
I went to the side of pool and I lay me down on the wooden reclining chair. Other chair has a mat with towel but staff didn't bring it until I asked. Actually other hotels in this price range brings mat without asking from customer. Actually the reclining char near pool is not enough but staff was not going to bring additional reclining chair whereas it was stocked. I felt how staff is not feeling like doing anything. They are just sitting/standing and they are not finding out customer who needs mat.

The side of Pool is still better than the reclining char in front of the room (it is far from pool or front desk because the island is big). I didn't see any staff who brings mat but I don't know why some reclining char have a mat. I don't know how they got it... I needed to sleep on the hard wooden reclining chair but I couldn't keep sleeping for long. Staff didn't come for about 1 and half hour during sleep in the side of Pool. I can't imagine how bad the staff service is.

Another experience:
Each staff doesn't know their own hotel system. Each staff only knows on their duty. This is very bad situation with this price range hotel. I asked something but answer is not correct. I asked about Diving but staff answered about Snorkeling. I asked about flight information when back to Male airport from local airport but he didn't know about it. He also didn't know the procedure how to decide flight information.

Another experience:
The side of the island which accommodates cheaper room doesn't have so much fish because it is white sand area. The color is white but sand includes the dead coral body, so it is not good white sand. Actually the other side (near front desk) has many fish but it is very far from room.

I stayed beach-sided room. It is minimum and barely acceptable. I saw there is some room which is not in front of beach. Those cheaper room looks like a room of Business Hotel... Even if my beach-sided room which is condominium style, I heard sound of neighboring room such as conversation or shower. So, I don't recommend condominium room for those who is lover, honeymoon or those who is going to make a baby.

The flight schedule is not fixed until arrival. So, it is difficult to make a schedule correctly. I feel it is better to choose hotel which is more close to Male airport. I probably do so next time.

I had many bad experiences. So I felt that I wanted to back home on the 1st day (I needed to stay for 4days with 3nights... I felt this was a mistake.) but there are some good points in this hotel actually.

The room service didn't add shampoo all time. I'm tired of saying it to staff after many experiences, so I just used soap in wash stand. Moreover, the soap doesn't have label. So I didn't understand which is what. Oh, bad.

The night before check-out, the explanation said "flight schedule is displayed in TV" but it was broken. I called room service and it takes about 30min to come... The staff didn't have smile nor say "sorry for inconvenience". He just comes and fixed, then just left.

The table in main restaurant (near front desk) is decided by hotel for each room (one table for one room) and the table assignment is fixed and can't be changed even if customer asks. So, if you booked many rooms, the table is probably scattered all around the restaurant and you can't talk each other. It is not advisable to choose this hotel if you are a groups to book some rooms and you want to talk each other. Probably you want to talk each other in restaurant, isn't it? I don't know why they don't allow changing table anyway even if asked. If you booked only one room, it is not a problem of course. If you booked water cottage, you probably have assigned another restaurant near the cottage. So, experience may be different.

The dinner cost in main restaurant charges about $70 (or more?) for 2 people. They charges me almost same price for single person. It is costly as for the variety of menu as for it is a buffet style dinner. I understand that almost all needs to bring from far away but still it is expensive for single person. Actually staff recommended me to go to another restaurant by walking more. Another restaurant is too far from my room (about 15-20min?). The taste of another restaurant (near diving center) was not good whereas it is costly. Japanese food takes 3-5times higher than Japan. I understand 2-3times but I can't understand 3-5times higher. Other food takes 2-3times higher than overseas. E.g. Pizza is about $20, it is understandable. Japanese noodle takes about $20-$30. I don't understand it. Japanese style Beef is around $50. I also don't understand it.

When check-out, guidance said "departure from lobby (check-in)". So I thought it is a check-in of flight but actually front staff just said "go to boat". I don't understand what is the "check-in", It may be a check-in for staff but I don't understand why it is announced to customer.

Good points:

Some facilities are good. Floating Cottage looks good whereas I didn't stay there. Actually I think the Floating Cottage in another hotel is better with same price range but this is also good enough probably. The man who was cleaning road gently makes a greetings and he has a good smile. Air flight from Male international airport to local airport is reasonable ($230). It is probably because the flight is shared with other hotels. I need to change to boat after flight but it is acceptable.

Beach is good but not excellent because the sand includes big coral body of the dead. The picture of Beach is good because picture didn't shot the dead coral body in the sand.

Diving is good. I saw big fish such as Shark. If the purpose is only for diving, this hotel may be enough because you can regard this hotel as a Business Hotel or Guest House.

Sea is cleaner than Philippines or Thailand. Sea is clean as same as Okinawa, Japan. One merit of Maldives is the cleanness of Sea. Another merit is to see big fish. Coral is probably dying because of the warming temperature. Small Fish is good but it is less than Philippines. Sea temperature is always high. This is basic merit of Maldives. Okinawa can't dive/swim all year around.

Boat driving technique is excellent. I sometimes get fear the boat diving in Okinawa but I never get fear here in Maldives.

I saw many comments in guestbook in hotel such as "very good". So, some people (probably higher grade room) can enjoy this hotel.

Local people probably live in same island. So I met many local people in the island. This is good because I can know local livings a little. I saw volleyball game. They are enjoying very much. I felt good by looking that. But the service of hotel and local living is different. Even if I like to see local living, once local people wear the uniform and become a hotel staff, they must behave as professional especially this is a "resort hotel". I think staff is not changing the way of behavior from local living to professional hotel staff when they wear uniform. I think staff is behaving like a local people. It's OK if this is a Guest House (Actually I like this because I can know local living) but this is not.

Overall Service as Resort Hotel: VERY BAD (Rank:1)
Sea/Nature Quality: Very GOOD (Rank:5)
Price: Very Bad (Rank:1) (Not worth the price)
Facilities (room or etc): Bad (Rank:2)
Transportation: Very Bad (Rank:1) (It is far from airport, it took 4 hours after arrive in Male)

So, Total rating is Bad (rank:2)

The rating above is 2 but I rate as 1 in this site because I asw staff's delinquent and they are not professional. If staff have a smile and become more serious, this hotel can be excellent after staff becomes a professional.

Actually there are more better hotel in the world. This hotel needs to learn what is the resort hotel.

I may go again if price is half (I think this is possible in rainy season) and purpose is only for scuba diving.

Room Tip: Avoid cheaper room. (See details in feedback)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
16 Thank travelman1976
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We went here for honeymoon, absolutely amazing! We went all inclusive. It still visited both premium restaurants here, both were fantastic. We stayed in a beach bungalow and hired bikes for the duration of our stay. It's a very small island, yet big enough to find your own quite place to chill. Plenty going on if you fancy it, or just snorkelling or swimming from the beach is great. Lots of baby reef sharks in shallower waters which are fascinating to watch when snorkelling above them. Would truly love to go back one day!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K H
Indore, India
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Maldives is heaven ! You must go to Maldives but should always have a company along for you and for your better half to enjoy more as so many activities are lined up.
Sun Island is full of freshness and activities. It’s a must go place. We were 2 couples and enjoyed to extent. May 20th heat after 11 am is at its peak till 4 pm and you can’t go outside but can enjoy other lots of activities.
For Sun island from Male airport there is another flight to Mamigilli airport which took total 2 hrs and from there 20 min speed boat ride. Reached by 6 pm and you have to wait at reception for room allotment for at least an hour. Reception I say is very poor in sun island. No mature and responsible person is there. Any ways.
We had taken 1 day water bunglow and three days superior beach bunglow which I must say was a wise decision. As we could enjoy both side of the island.
Dining for water bunglow and beach bunglow is separate. Best part is you get wide variety of Veg and Non Veg with lots of fruits, juices and sweets.
Air conditioning in water bunglow is far better then superior bunglow.
Island is very clean and beautiful with free wifi in coffee bar both side to island.
Every thing is very costly from water bottle $5 to Water Sports ranging from $35-$150
You must take bicycle $4.5 per day for moving around the island.
Lunch you can skip from your meal plan as breakfast is very heavy.
Water world lover can do snorkling (do take your own snorkling kit along)
Sea world is amazing at Maldives.
Lots of competitions goes on like Water Polo, Beach volleyball, Table tennis, Basket Ball,
Paid activities like Gym, Sona, Steam, Snooker, etc are about $10 each day.
Check out process again took lot of time in settlement of bills as they charge you for the activities you have not done.
Hence reception / front office needs improvement.

Overall a must go place. I would love to go again and again
Thanks Sun Island

Room Tip: choose first day water bunglow and rest days superior beach bunglow room no. 207/208
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Sun Island Resort? Share your experiences!