“Even better second time around”
Review of Sun Island Resort

Sun Island Resort
england
“Even better second time around”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Just returned from our second trip to Sun Island.
Having previously been in May 2007, we knew quite a few of the staff and were treated like royalty. They couldn't do enough for us and were genuinely pleased to see us back.
I cant believe that people can find anything to moan about on Sun Island. Youre in Paradise where nothing is too much trouble.
We had our favourite staff of course and with a couple of dollars each day, were given the best service ie.. the same sunbeds on the beach for two weeks, towels laid out and bags taken from us so we could go off to breakfast, courtesy of Hussain and Kumar.
Bar waiter watching for you coming out of the sea so he could bring you water, orange juice and coffee, each, without even asking for it, courtesy of Nasseem and Boulah.
Pool bar waiter waving at you across the pool to attract your attention to the fact that he had ice cold beers waiting for you, courtesy of Joe.
Restaurant serving staff who come round the front of the serving stations to get us plates, dished everyting up for you and walked the length of the restaurant to get me ketchup and choc spread on occasion! courtesy of Yousef and 3 others whose names I forget.
I wanted cheese on my salad one day but couldnt find any so the head chef, Si, came and took my plate and went and got it for me.
The toilet attendant who went out of his way to find 2 umbrellas for us one night when a tropical downpour started, so we could get back to our bungalow, courtesy of Farooque.
It's these simple acts of kindness that add up to excellent customer service. If only we got the same level of service in this country!!
I wanted to say, to those who have mobility problems, make the effort and go. I use a wheelchair some of the time and was treated with the upmost respect throughout the 2 weeks. I used to take my chair everywhere on the island and as it's all flat, there are no problems getting around. Also, the whole jouirney with the chair was fine, with no problems at either airports, infact it's an advantage as you are instantly waved to the front of all queues and given vip service.
So, ignore any negative comments, I dont know how anyone can moan about Sun Island. Treat the people you meet with respect and kindness and you will make some great new friends here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank northerner47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Northampton
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Having returned from Sun Island i felt i had to right a review, what can i say? It truly was paradise!

Arrival

We were greated off the sea plane by a representative who accompanied us to the island via the speedboat, when we arrived we were given a complimentary drink and towel which was lovely. We were then greeted by the rep and were allocated a room and our luggage followed shortly.

Accomodation

We paid a little more and had a super deluxe beach bungalow this was lovely and we were lucky enough to be put in room 123 which is on the the sunset side close enough to the resturants and bars to not have to hire bikes. This was ideal for us as it meant we could take a walk to dinner etc which would take 5 minutes max. Im sure for some people riding bikes is fine but for me it would become an issue if i had my white linen trousers on! The view from our room was also spectacular we had what they call the 'ocean view' which inlcuded some shade from a few trees our own 'beach bit' and then the lovely clear blue sea. The room was clean and our room boy was brilliant cleaning it in the morning and then coming back in the evening when we were at dinner to go over it again and turndown. The outside shower was also brilliant and meant that we did not use the inside shower at all.

I would say to keep a close eye on the mini bar, this was not included in the all inclusive but they still tried to charge us twice for the few items but once we pointed out their mistake at the end of the stay they did correct the bill. We also had sunbeds allocated outside our room which was nice, and for a few days we spent some time using them instead of going to the beach near the main bar or the pool.

Facilities

This is one of the largest islands in the Maldives and i know for some people this means they would probably not choose the island, for us the size did not bother us. We were lucky in that we were located within walking distance to the amenities so if we had not this may have been an issue as i would have been reluctant to hire bikes due to practical reasons and also the cost! There were lots of facilities on the island and most nights they had some form of entertainment for example crab racing, Maldivan night, disco night,kareoke and a live band although we chose to stay away from the disco/kareoke! There is a large pool with a swim up pool bar and we loved this and for a few days did sunbathe by the pool. Tyronne at the pool bar is lovely and this bar was also all inclusive which was a bonus! The main bar is also great and the barman who looked after us also brought drinks from this bar to the pool when we were not at the pool bar again this is also all inclusive.

We did walk around the island and did take a look at the beach bar which is at the end where the water sports are but we decided we prefered to stay near the main bar
as we could still sit on the beach at this bar or even on the decking if we did not want sand on our feet!

Food/drink

We were all inclusive and on a personal level we felt that this was the best option for us when we booked and when we arrived. There were a number of reasons for this, on our first afternoon once we unpacked we took a walk up to the main resturant/reception/pool bar area. This is when we got to know Siyaz who fondly became known as 'our barman' between ourselves. He showed us the all inclusive drinks menu and we were pleased to see our regular drinks bacardi and coke for me and Carlsberg for my partner were included! We also then saw the prices of the drinks as a whole in the resort and realised how expensive it woul have been for us if we had not gone all inclusive. Some people i know do not drink much but for us it suited us down to the ground as my partner drinks quite a lot! This would have worked out more expensive for us if we had not took this option.

The food was also lovely, the breakfast had the option of cooked or continental and the lunch had a nice variety too. I had never been all inclusive before and was a bit wary of what the food would be like but it was of a good standard and there was lots of variation of the dishes throughout our stay! One particluar night stood out as being poor and a number of other guests we spoke to agreed with us. But this was one night out of 14! I We also found ourselves wishing they would repeat some of the dishes as they were so nice!

As we were all inclusive we got 25% discount off the food in the other resturants which were not all inclusive (this is usually 20% but were doing a special offer while we were there) One night we chose to eat at the Itallian and had a lovely sea food grill and of course got 25% off the meal but this does not include the drink.

All Inclusive

The all inclusive option does not include the mini bar, coctails, tea and coffe in the room and also food ad drink from the restaurants other than the main one. For us however this option worked as we easily covered the cost in what we ate and drunk and we liked the fact we did not have to worry about money, only for the few extras we had which you pay for at the end of the stay by card (you are allocated a tab per room) and dollars to tip the staff.

I could talk about my holiday for hours but i have a few recomendations;

1. Tip the people who regularly serve you eg at the main bar (we did this on the first day) and then had faultless service from 'our barman' who came out and found us when we were either at the pool, on the beach or in the main bar in the evenings. We continued this a few dollars every few days throughout our holiday. We also did this for our waiter (you are allocated a table and a waiter for the duration of the stay) room boy, Tyronne at the pool bar and the guy who saved our sun beds either on the beach/by the pool! Not forgetting the luggage boys! One word of warning, one day we were on our sunbeds by the bungalow and one of the guys who maintains the island came round with a wheelbarrow of coconuts. I was being polite and said hello and he then offered me a drink from one of the coconuts. Once i had drunk this he hung around the room waiting for a tip and would not leave. We had ran out of dollar notes at the time and the smallest we had was $5 needless to say he was very happy but i felt a little bit 'done' as i was being polite as we were to all the staff and felt he played on our kindness.

2. Do not feel mean tipping $1 at a time we were advised that for some of the staff this pays for a phone call home and is invaluable to them.

3. Do go and sea the shark feeding and stingray feeding at night we thought it was awesome!

4. Take plenty of sun cream i used factor 25 in the first week and 15 in the second week, i would also not recomend going under a factor 15 as the sun was so intense!

5. Try snokelling we loved it and had not really done it before we went to Sun Island!

6. Do pay extra for the sea plane transfer this takes half an hour and we were told by people who went by boat that the transfer was horrendous! The views from the sea plane are also amazing!

7. Dont go for a week as the flights are so long and tedious and once you get settled it is time to go home!

It is also worth noting that we went the last two weeks in April. When talking to one of the barmen/Tyronne at the pool bar they said that the island was VERY quiet compared to what it was like when it was peak season and myself and my partner both agreed that if we had gone during those months then it may have bothered us as we liked the quietness of the island!

Would we go again?

We have discussed this and feel that we wouldn't, not because we did not enjoy it or felt it did not live up to our expectations but because there are so many other islands in the Maldives and other places in the world we want to explore. But then again maybe we will one day who knows?

I hope this helps other people who are either going to Sun Island or are thinking of going, you will not be disapointed!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rebecci
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Its paradise....

We had one of the deluxe beach bungalows right on the beach... waking up, walking down to the sea and just wasting the days on our own private sunbeds.... heaven.

staff were AWESOME!! so friendly!!! i'm not sure which Sun Island some people on here went too, but the staff really made the holiday. my girlfriend sprained her ankle half way through the holiday while we were playing tennis (couldnt handle my bullet of a back-hand...) and within 2 minutes we had staff coming from everywhere bringing ice, bandages, pain killers... then when she was hobbling for a few days later, all the staff in the dining hall would stop and ask if she needed any help or if they could bring her food to her table for her - it was just genuine care and concern. i've been to a lot of places where the staff are only helping you out if theres a tip at the end of it - but the staff here we just really friendly, seemed really happy and looked like they enjoyed thier job.

is it expensive? ofcourse it is... but what do you expect?? your a captive audience of a desert island - if you dont want to eat a resteraunt becuase its pricey, then dont.

we ended up going for the all-inclusive. it was a dilema at the start, and when i booked the trip i decided to just go for the FULL BOARD as i thought i wouldnt spend the extra £200 or so that it was to upgrade to AI... however, if your not on the AI everything, and i mean EVERYTHING can be expensive and you can end-up spending a fortune (soft drinks, water, snacks, excursions...).
plus, i felt that i was on holiday, i dont want to watch what i was spending all the time... so my tip is go AI - its worth it for the care-free feeling you get.

BIG TIP!!!!!!!!! whatever you do, make sure you BOOK THE SEA PLANE TRANSFER BEFORE YOU GO (atleast a week before you go)!!!!! we went with thomson and it simply said 'transfers included' - yes, SPEED BOAT transfers!!! the last thing you want to do after a 10 hour flight is sit on a sweaty, sticky bouching speed boat for 2.5 hours... ohhh hell no....
needless to say we booked the sea plane transfer for the way back - they were AWESOME!!! only takes 30minutes to Mali and the Canadian pilots are cooool (flying in aviators, shorts and flip flops!!)

all in all, its amazing. the best holiday i've even been on !!!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Dimpster01
ipswich
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We visited the sun island resort for 2 weeks. It is an amazing place, the island, the water, the fish life is just unbelievable and it was really paradise.

The villas were dreadful, the staff were appalling, and the prices were extortionate. Overall it was like a 2* hotel, the rooms were unclean, we had 2 rats in our room one night, hundred of ants, the showers were outside and like a hostel. Overall very appalling, i would never visit again. The bar staff in the main bar were very rude, would sometimes serve you in 5mins, sometimes 30mins, you would hardly ever get a second drink as they took ages, they got things mixed up, very sarcastic, and would take drinks from you half finishes.

Overall the island was amazing, reefs, fish, snorkeling water sports all 5* but all the facilities, staff and food was pathetic and i really did come away very disappointed.

Overall, go to the Hilton resort, i went there 2 years ago, and well all i can say is amazing i didn’t have any issues with this resort!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sakaa
Scotland
Reviewed 18 March 2009

From arriving at Male and getting the sea plane to Sun Island, we truly did arrive in Paradise. We stayed for two weeks on the island - initally booked for a beach bungalow for the duration but decided to upgrade to a water bungalow for the 2nd week. This I would recommend as it was stunning. One point to watch is that 'sea/beach views' are not always actually that due to the plantation now overgrown, but you are seconds away if that's the case.
The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly, however the reception staff can let the side down but being a bit dismissive.
The choice of watersports was good, but more importantly the local reef for snorkelling and scuba diving were stunning. We both decided to try the latter out, and ended up doing our full PADI certificate out there - a definite plus.
The only thing I would advise is that you don't bothered with visting the local, adjacent island where the workers live. The guides left us all after a 30 minute walk about to catch up with friends. We were left to sit under a tree for about 1 1/2hours, with over 30C and mosquitos. This was a complete waste of a visit and achieved nothing.
However, Sun Island is most definitely worth a visit for that dream holiday - I still can't believe how amazing it was and have the most fantastic memories from my fortnight there.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gillstravels
Rome
Reviewed 18 March 2009

After reading so many mixed reviews, I was sure that something would disappoint me about sun island, but instead I loved everything & every second.
The island itself is seriously 'Paradise on earth', words cannot describe it.
The staff was very friendly especially if you requested something with a smile. I happened to be the only english speaking person in a group of Italians, so I had to call the reception constantly. The staff always responded sweetly, respectfully and got the job done, although not at lightening speeds.
We had a Deluxe bungalow which was comfortable, but the best was the external shower which always included a concert of birds singing to you while soaping up.
Food in the main restaurant was great, we actually didn't eat elsewhere because we didn't want to miss out in our regular place. Our waiter Shereef was the best. If you have him tell him Denise & 'Vani Coffee Shop' say hi!
I couldn't miss a night of stingray & shark feeding, as it was fantastic and never boring. Bicycles are a must as you should discover every inch of the island. There are hidden Banana plantations (pass the soccer fields in the garden) that are really interesting to ride through. Sunsets near stingray feeding is beautiful, sand bar beach, and the snorkling along the reef near italian restaurant is a must. Although I must say that the corals seem to have been bleached, as they are not as colorful as they should be. Who knows if this is part of 'global warming' or not. But the fish are there and always put on a show. The Fruit bats are spectacular, although not easy to photograph, but wierd looking iguanas and so many flowers will give you great shots.
One issue- upon arrival, we were told of an overbooking. We were offered 2 nights in a lesser rated 'Garden' bungalow and then transfer to our beach bungalow, and in exchange we received great perks - 2 free bike rentals, free water, wine & fruit basket, but best of all a free sea plane transfer back to the airport. We chose this option and we're glad that we did. If you have any issues, try to use the sea plane transfer as a bargaining chip. Didn't seem that difficult to win!
In conclusion- if you love relaxing on a tropical island, with white sugar sanded beaches with crystal blue water icing, decent food, snorkling, and just being lost in paradise, then I don't think you will be dissappointed at Sun Island either.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DenRome
CRETE
Reviewed 17 March 2009

we went for honeymoon on December and we stayed for 10 days! the island is fantastic, the water perfect and the sun is hot! its good that the island is one of the biggest, the hotel has many facilities but the design is not so good. the decoration is poor all over the hotel. The rooms also. We stayed in a deluxe beach front villa that is a room 10 meters from the water. the service mainly of the reception is not so good. we supposed that we had when we arrive a basket of champagne and fruits on the room and decorated properly because we were honeymooners , but they forgot it. we spoke to the reception after 2 days and the evening they brought the basket with fruits and champagne , i tried to open the champagne but they forgot to bring me the opener. I called them and they told me in five minutes, after half an hour nothing happened. I called them again and finally after half an hour they brought it. we paid for a trip to blue lagoon deserted island,the journey was for 4 hours 60 dollars with barbeque on the island but was nothing special all the island are about the same. every night 21.00 feeding sting rays and 22.00 feeding shark in another place. that worths. if u are not all inclusive every thing that u buy is expensive but they are many things also that all inclusive they had to pay for.we took the half board. there are many better resorts in Maldives but they are more expensive .i forgot to tell u about the spa is fantastic!!!!!!! you can choose various types of spa ,we took the type that u can do the same time wife nad husband by two therapist.200 dollars but its worth. its for one hour and after that they leave u alone to relax in a hot thumb and they bring and if u like tea!! the food was very good!!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,831 reviews
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Sun Island Resort? Share your experiences!