“Nice, but not as good as we expected”
Review of Sun Island Resort

Sun Island Resort
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We stayed in this hotel from 9 May till 23 May 2009. Our first impression of the Maldives was the number of staff wearing masks, obviously to protect them from the swine flu. Many people were surprised that only some of the staff wore masks but others didn't. A matter of personal choice, I suppose. We waited for a long time at passport control, so long that we missed our speedboat transfer but happily we were given an upgrade to seaplane. The islands looked amazing from the air.
When we reached Sun Island we were led along the jetty towards reception, admiring the literally thousands of fish swimming around.
Check in was reasonably fast and we were taken to our room by buggy. Our first impressions of the room were, Oh, this is nice but is that it? It was nice and clean, but we have had better on many occasions. Not exactly what we would call Super Deluxe, I'm afraid. Our section of the beach was tiny, with only a couple of hours of dry sand when the sun was out.
We went for our first meal at lunchtime and were shown to the table which was to be ours for the duration of the holiday. It was in a nice location, right on the edge of the restaurant overlooking the beach (through the trees).
Our waiter, Waseem, was very pleasant and attentive the whole time. We found during our stay that the food was generally very good. There wasn't a great deal of variety at each mealtime, but there was always something we liked. There was something different at each mealtime, with very little repetition. One thing we were disappointed with, though, were the curries. We had expected an abundance, but on most days it was vegetable curry, with vegetable dhal. The Maldivian fish soup made a lot of appearances too. Briyani was served twice and Beef Madras once, and they were really good. One question though. Why on earth was the plain rice placed along with all the other food in the evenings. Surely a pot of it could be put next to the curries?
Were we in for a surprise when we went for a drink in the main bar. After we had had a couple we decided to take our drinks back to the room to finish unpacking and chill. As soon as we started to walk away along the beach we were assailed by a waiter who shouted, yes shouted at us that we couldn't take the drinks and he actually demanded our glasses back. We felt like small children and just sat there dumbfounded. We wanted to order more drinks but none of the waiters seemed to want to serve us. It was as if we had committed some unpardonable sin. Eventually we managed to persuade a waiter to serve us and we felt obliged to apologise for trying to take our drinks out. Surely, this very odd rule should be made perfectly clear to all guests on arrival. After all, not everyone has been to the Maldives before. We came to the conclusion that the rule exists to persuade guests to buy drinks from the mini bar. At a minimum of $9.50 I don't think so. One round of our drinks including mixers would have cost us in the region of £20. We decided to make sure we had our share in the bar.
Another bone of contention was the fact that we couldn't take a plate of food out of the restaurant to eat on the beach, unless we were happy to pay for it. Sorry, but we were under the impression that All Inclusive meant we had already paid for it. We didn't want or expect to have more than our fair share, just the option to eat in other locations occasionally. But no, not allowed. We couldn't even take out a bread roll to feed the fish! A woman on the table next to us was even shouted at, yes, again, shouted at when she threw a crust of bread to a bird just outside the restaurant.
There is a distinct lack of lighting at night. You could hardly make out the path sometimes. One night we almost trod on a snake in the middle of the path. Another night a branch had fallen from a tree right across the path from our room. It was only by chance that we saw it, otherwise there could have been a nast accident. Which brings me nicely to the bikes. Yes, a great idea for getting around, but surely they could be fitted with some kind of light. We lost count of the number of times we and others were nearly mown down by some lunatic not bothering to look where he was going.
The two employees who look after the sunbeds around the pool and on the beach have a nice little earner going. They reserve all the umbrellas and then proceed to dole them out to the highest payers. On two occasions we paid a dollar, quite happy to carry on doing so throughout the holiday. Surprise, surprise, on the next morning they were all magically "taken". Very odd, then that a number of them remained unused all day. There were book, flippers, caps etc on them, but oddly no-one came to use them. We heard one woman telling a friend that they had paid $10 for the attendants to keep their umbrella for them for the whole holiday. Odd that, I thought $1 a day for 14 days would add up to more than $10.
Going back to the main bar. We discovered that the tables on the right side of the terrace as you come out of the bar are always the ones to fill up first. After a couple of nights we discovered the reason for this. The service on the left side is atrocious. One night, after waiting for ages for a drink we saw our "waiter" strolling around in the bar area, chatting, playing with his tray and generally ignoring the tables he was supposed to be serving at. I decided enough was enough and went to the bar myself, only to be told to "go and sit down and your waiter will bring your drinks". I told them we had already been waiting for 15 minutes and would like bar service. At this point someone, possibly some kind of supervisor, asked what the problem was. I told him and he said he would send our drinks. Within about a minute the waiter was at our table with the smallest servings we have ever had in our lives. At that point we noticed an empty tabel on the right side of the terrace and moved over there. We had no more trouble the whole night.
If you get the chance, sit on the right side and try to get served by Naseem or Faisal. Two excellent waiters who will look after you in the afternoon, evening and night times and thoroughly deserve their tips. Try to avoid the tall one with a small moustache and a permanent scowl on the left side.
There were many more things that we were disappointed by, but this rant has gone on long enough. On the whole it's fair to say that we enjoyed the holiday but we were left quite disillusioned and would not return. We may try a different resort in the Maldives, but we would certainly do a lot of research first. After all, this trip cost us something like twice the price that a holiday to the Caribbean usually costs. If anyone has any questions please email me.

6  Thank Nickpieman
There are newer reviews for Sun Island Resort

Reviewed 26 May 2009

We were due to stay at Handufushi resort but were changed to Sun Island less than 2 weeks before the flight. I found the comments on Trip advisor extremely helpful and accurate, I'm so glad we changed. Sun island is a tropical paradise. Wonderful beaches all around the island, lush greenery and beautiful flowers. The sea is perfect for swimming, with easily accessable coral reef for suberb snorkeling. I recommend taking a good underwater camera. We took a 'bright pink' Fuji FinePix Z33WP Waterproof Digital Camera and were able to capture much of the marine life.
Rooms
Thanks to previous tips I was realistic in my expectations of the accommodation. We had a beach bungalow (456 on the south west of the island) which fronted a small sunny beach with views of the water bungalows. Outside there were mature trees which gave shade but still enough beach for sun too. The room was basic but clean (not of 4 star standard compared to Egypt or Mexico) and comfortable with a large kingsized bed, chairs and desk and an unremarkable TV. Internet access was via the telephone cable into our laptop through a dial-up service and consequently was slow (we've been spoiled with wireless connection and broadband in the UK!) but the service is cheap at $1 for 15 mins and 10cents per minute thereafter. The airconditioning was not too loud, although the room fan was! The bathroom was not airconditioned but not openair - it had a slatted high window over the shower, but the shower was big enough for two.
We met another couple who had upgraded to the super delux beach bungalow and they told us that their room furnishings were identical but they had a slightly larger room and an outside shower as well as their bathroom. Their beach was on the north side of the island and was very pretty but the snorkeling was better on our side. I looked around the water bungalows and was impressed with the quality of fittings and space - definitely 4 star (apart from the TV which looked 10 years old).
Eating
We went all inclusive as we'd been warned by plenty of reviews. It was by far the best idea, despite the stupid band you had to wear ALL the time! The buffet was varied and there was plenty of food - I loved the vegetable curry they provided every day, with poppodums! The meal times are restricted: breakfast 7.30 - 9am, lunch 12.30 - 2pm and Dinner 7.30 - 9pm unlike other all inclusive resorts around the world which only have short breaks in between eating times, but it made us get out of bed to get the most out of the day. The hotel were very strict about food and drink - they didn't like it being taken out of the restaurant, threatening to charge it to your room! One night my partner felt a little unwell and I sneaked some fruit back to the room for him - along with a can of becks. Luckily I had a very understanding waiter - he deserved his tip.
Please note that the mini bar and the tea and coffee in the room is NOT all inclusive so my advice is to bring your own tea bags / jar of coffee and fill up an empty soft drink bottle with milk from the breakfast bar to keep in the minibar and TIP your room boy and waiter regularly. Our rep had a jar of coffee she loaned us, she was brilliant.
After each round of drinks in the restaurant or bar you are asked to sign a bill which has a large red AI stamp on and a zero total - it was easy to see the individual prices of the drinks ($5 for a coke) and we easily covered the extra cost of all inclusive simply on our pool bar bill alone!
Spa
We were reccomended a couples massage and it was absolutely fabulous despite my initial reservations. Side by side we were each given a full body massage in a beautifully tranquil private garden, then left to slip into a hot bath sprinkled with flower petals and ringed by candles while sipping a refreshing cup of tea. After a final shower to remove the massage oils, we returned to the real world, but were 'blissed out' for the rest of the evening.
Finally
I would reccomend this island to anyone looking for a relaxing or romantic holiday. There are plenty of honeymoon couples or those celebrating wedding anniversaries, but few families or singles. The island is large enough for bikes or walks around it to keep you fit, and plenty of swimming and snorkeling all around the island. A true island paradise.

3  Thank PinkIcePearl
Reviewed 24 May 2009

This was our big belated honeymoon hence we splashed out on a water bungalow for the two weeks, this along with being All Inc took the cost to around £5000, not our usual holiday budget but hey you only live once! I won't repeat everything that has already been written but knowing how much I really on this web site, I really want to add to it!

Accomodation- the water bungalow was fab, you can actually lay in bed and watch the Sea! Being able to fall out of it and into your bikini and literally dow the steps into the crystal water was great! Having walked round the Island and seen the beach bungalows I really am glad we upgraded, they may have been great inside but they are literally under the trees etc and there were far too many bugs loitering aound the doors for my likeing! We spoke to a couple of people who had to have theirs fumagated as they had ants in their beds, that would have really spoilt it for me. We had no problems like that at all.

Food- Not only am I a veggie but I am a really fussy eater. Having done many AI hols I did wonder how great the food would be on an Island! But you will have now worries. It was always red hot and very fresh with areally decent selection. Breakfast- fab fresh omlettes to die for, Dinner, gorgeous "subway" style sandwiches made up right in front of you, Tea- Fresh cooked rice, noodles, bbq etc. Each night a chef was stood at a cooker doing the fresh rice etc, if it was a meat dish he would just get another wok and do a veggie version as soon as he saw me enter the restaurant!

Service- was great, never had an empty glass, the gardens are immaculate and every day several luttle women and men would appear with "brushes" made of reeds and would be bent over sweeping the beaches and gardens. There was never a leaf out of place! Tyrone, Naseem and Boolah were fab in the bar, all speak great English and were good fun. I never once felt anyone expected a tip which made a nice change!

Spa- I had several treatments (hubby said "fil your boots" so I did! Definitley worth paying for, these are "proper" massages, you just need to get over being totally naked! Do it, it really made my holiday having a bit of pampering!

If I'm being really picky, a few negatives:
The bottom of the pool is in disrepair and very rough on the feet, it is in desperate need of some tlc!
Not being able to get a drink in the water bungalow, it seems they did once have waiter service and the mini bar was included. This was until some thoughtless idiots decided to throw glasses etc into the water hence they spoilt it for everyone and it was stopped.

Tips:
Take plenty of suncream, hubby and I have good tanning skin yet we went through 8 bottles of factor 15! We came home with great tans and I wouldn't have wanted to use a lower factor, the sun really is that intense!
I read a review that said don't bother with beach towels but chose to ignore it! Really wish I hadn't, we didn't use them at all, you can get them in you room, at the beach etc, don't waste the space in the case!
Order a pizza to your room, most expensive takeaway we will ever have but was worth the novelty factor of a man wearing a dicki bow on a pizza express moped driving down the jetty to deliver it! The pizzas were gorgeous too!
Take a snorkel, it's great to have it to hand when you suddenly spot a ray etc
If you like the alcohol, go AI! At £3.50 for half a lager we would have had to put the house up for sale!

I could go on and on! This is one of the largest islands (yet is seemed tiny to me) with a lot of great facilities. We didn't really use them much but I was glad to have them to hand if I felt like doing something (not that that was often, the "therapy" pool bar was usualy as far as we got!

You are going to have a great time, I'm still pinching myself that I spent to weeks in such an amazing place. Like I said, I'm the most fussiest veggie, cleanliness obsessed people watching freak and I really couldn't fault it, I go back there like a shot!

Have the best time!

6  Thank Swifty777
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We stayed at this island the last two weeks of April. The weather was boiling hot every day no rain.
Good points:
Service in all of the bars and Restauants were of very high standard.
Staff were also great very friendly.
Rooms very basis but clean. (cleaned twice every day)
Best location on the island is rooms 185 to 210. Lovely beach there.
The Italian and Thai Restauant were good went there 3 times.
Air transfer was great.
Food in main restauant was good every day it would change menue.
You were given your own table for the whole two weeks.
Not so good points (but did not change our holiday)
A tipping island.
Bed chairs around swimming pool need to be changed
Swimming pool needs updating.
We would go back to this island next week if we could but the prices for next year have gone up to much for us. May be try Mauritius in stead.

2  Thank daisy031
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Just returned from our second trip to Sun Island.
Having previously been in May 2007, we knew quite a few of the staff and were treated like royalty. They couldn't do enough for us and were genuinely pleased to see us back.
I cant believe that people can find anything to moan about on Sun Island. Youre in Paradise where nothing is too much trouble.
We had our favourite staff of course and with a couple of dollars each day, were given the best service ie.. the same sunbeds on the beach for two weeks, towels laid out and bags taken from us so we could go off to breakfast, courtesy of Hussain and Kumar.
Bar waiter watching for you coming out of the sea so he could bring you water, orange juice and coffee, each, without even asking for it, courtesy of Nasseem and Boulah.
Pool bar waiter waving at you across the pool to attract your attention to the fact that he had ice cold beers waiting for you, courtesy of Joe.
Restaurant serving staff who come round the front of the serving stations to get us plates, dished everyting up for you and walked the length of the restaurant to get me ketchup and choc spread on occasion! courtesy of Yousef and 3 others whose names I forget.
I wanted cheese on my salad one day but couldnt find any so the head chef, Si, came and took my plate and went and got it for me.
The toilet attendant who went out of his way to find 2 umbrellas for us one night when a tropical downpour started, so we could get back to our bungalow, courtesy of Farooque.
It's these simple acts of kindness that add up to excellent customer service. If only we got the same level of service in this country!!
I wanted to say, to those who have mobility problems, make the effort and go. I use a wheelchair some of the time and was treated with the upmost respect throughout the 2 weeks. I used to take my chair everywhere on the island and as it's all flat, there are no problems getting around. Also, the whole jouirney with the chair was fine, with no problems at either airports, infact it's an advantage as you are instantly waved to the front of all queues and given vip service.
So, ignore any negative comments, I dont know how anyone can moan about Sun Island. Treat the people you meet with respect and kindness and you will make some great new friends here.

3  Thank northerner47
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Having returned from Sun Island i felt i had to right a review, what can i say? It truly was paradise!

Arrival

We were greated off the sea plane by a representative who accompanied us to the island via the speedboat, when we arrived we were given a complimentary drink and towel which was lovely. We were then greeted by the rep and were allocated a room and our luggage followed shortly.

Accomodation

We paid a little more and had a super deluxe beach bungalow this was lovely and we were lucky enough to be put in room 123 which is on the the sunset side close enough to the resturants and bars to not have to hire bikes. This was ideal for us as it meant we could take a walk to dinner etc which would take 5 minutes max. Im sure for some people riding bikes is fine but for me it would become an issue if i had my white linen trousers on! The view from our room was also spectacular we had what they call the 'ocean view' which inlcuded some shade from a few trees our own 'beach bit' and then the lovely clear blue sea. The room was clean and our room boy was brilliant cleaning it in the morning and then coming back in the evening when we were at dinner to go over it again and turndown. The outside shower was also brilliant and meant that we did not use the inside shower at all.

I would say to keep a close eye on the mini bar, this was not included in the all inclusive but they still tried to charge us twice for the few items but once we pointed out their mistake at the end of the stay they did correct the bill. We also had sunbeds allocated outside our room which was nice, and for a few days we spent some time using them instead of going to the beach near the main bar or the pool.

Facilities

This is one of the largest islands in the Maldives and i know for some people this means they would probably not choose the island, for us the size did not bother us. We were lucky in that we were located within walking distance to the amenities so if we had not this may have been an issue as i would have been reluctant to hire bikes due to practical reasons and also the cost! There were lots of facilities on the island and most nights they had some form of entertainment for example crab racing, Maldivan night, disco night,kareoke and a live band although we chose to stay away from the disco/kareoke! There is a large pool with a swim up pool bar and we loved this and for a few days did sunbathe by the pool. Tyronne at the pool bar is lovely and this bar was also all inclusive which was a bonus! The main bar is also great and the barman who looked after us also brought drinks from this bar to the pool when we were not at the pool bar again this is also all inclusive.

We did walk around the island and did take a look at the beach bar which is at the end where the water sports are but we decided we prefered to stay near the main bar
as we could still sit on the beach at this bar or even on the decking if we did not want sand on our feet!

Food/drink

We were all inclusive and on a personal level we felt that this was the best option for us when we booked and when we arrived. There were a number of reasons for this, on our first afternoon once we unpacked we took a walk up to the main resturant/reception/pool bar area. This is when we got to know Siyaz who fondly became known as 'our barman' between ourselves. He showed us the all inclusive drinks menu and we were pleased to see our regular drinks bacardi and coke for me and Carlsberg for my partner were included! We also then saw the prices of the drinks as a whole in the resort and realised how expensive it woul have been for us if we had not gone all inclusive. Some people i know do not drink much but for us it suited us down to the ground as my partner drinks quite a lot! This would have worked out more expensive for us if we had not took this option.

The food was also lovely, the breakfast had the option of cooked or continental and the lunch had a nice variety too. I had never been all inclusive before and was a bit wary of what the food would be like but it was of a good standard and there was lots of variation of the dishes throughout our stay! One particluar night stood out as being poor and a number of other guests we spoke to agreed with us. But this was one night out of 14! I We also found ourselves wishing they would repeat some of the dishes as they were so nice!

As we were all inclusive we got 25% discount off the food in the other resturants which were not all inclusive (this is usually 20% but were doing a special offer while we were there) One night we chose to eat at the Itallian and had a lovely sea food grill and of course got 25% off the meal but this does not include the drink.

All Inclusive

The all inclusive option does not include the mini bar, coctails, tea and coffe in the room and also food ad drink from the restaurants other than the main one. For us however this option worked as we easily covered the cost in what we ate and drunk and we liked the fact we did not have to worry about money, only for the few extras we had which you pay for at the end of the stay by card (you are allocated a tab per room) and dollars to tip the staff.

I could talk about my holiday for hours but i have a few recomendations;

1. Tip the people who regularly serve you eg at the main bar (we did this on the first day) and then had faultless service from 'our barman' who came out and found us when we were either at the pool, on the beach or in the main bar in the evenings. We continued this a few dollars every few days throughout our holiday. We also did this for our waiter (you are allocated a table and a waiter for the duration of the stay) room boy, Tyronne at the pool bar and the guy who saved our sun beds either on the beach/by the pool! Not forgetting the luggage boys! One word of warning, one day we were on our sunbeds by the bungalow and one of the guys who maintains the island came round with a wheelbarrow of coconuts. I was being polite and said hello and he then offered me a drink from one of the coconuts. Once i had drunk this he hung around the room waiting for a tip and would not leave. We had ran out of dollar notes at the time and the smallest we had was $5 needless to say he was very happy but i felt a little bit 'done' as i was being polite as we were to all the staff and felt he played on our kindness.

2. Do not feel mean tipping $1 at a time we were advised that for some of the staff this pays for a phone call home and is invaluable to them.

3. Do go and sea the shark feeding and stingray feeding at night we thought it was awesome!

4. Take plenty of sun cream i used factor 25 in the first week and 15 in the second week, i would also not recomend going under a factor 15 as the sun was so intense!

5. Try snokelling we loved it and had not really done it before we went to Sun Island!

6. Do pay extra for the sea plane transfer this takes half an hour and we were told by people who went by boat that the transfer was horrendous! The views from the sea plane are also amazing!

7. Dont go for a week as the flights are so long and tedious and once you get settled it is time to go home!

It is also worth noting that we went the last two weeks in April. When talking to one of the barmen/Tyronne at the pool bar they said that the island was VERY quiet compared to what it was like when it was peak season and myself and my partner both agreed that if we had gone during those months then it may have bothered us as we liked the quietness of the island!

Would we go again?

We have discussed this and feel that we wouldn't, not because we did not enjoy it or felt it did not live up to our expectations but because there are so many other islands in the Maldives and other places in the world we want to explore. But then again maybe we will one day who knows?

I hope this helps other people who are either going to Sun Island or are thinking of going, you will not be disapointed!!

5  Thank rebecci
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Its paradise....

We had one of the deluxe beach bungalows right on the beach... waking up, walking down to the sea and just wasting the days on our own private sunbeds.... heaven.

staff were AWESOME!! so friendly!!! i'm not sure which Sun Island some people on here went too, but the staff really made the holiday. my girlfriend sprained her ankle half way through the holiday while we were playing tennis (couldnt handle my bullet of a back-hand...) and within 2 minutes we had staff coming from everywhere bringing ice, bandages, pain killers... then when she was hobbling for a few days later, all the staff in the dining hall would stop and ask if she needed any help or if they could bring her food to her table for her - it was just genuine care and concern. i've been to a lot of places where the staff are only helping you out if theres a tip at the end of it - but the staff here we just really friendly, seemed really happy and looked like they enjoyed thier job.

is it expensive? ofcourse it is... but what do you expect?? your a captive audience of a desert island - if you dont want to eat a resteraunt becuase its pricey, then dont.

we ended up going for the all-inclusive. it was a dilema at the start, and when i booked the trip i decided to just go for the FULL BOARD as i thought i wouldnt spend the extra £200 or so that it was to upgrade to AI... however, if your not on the AI everything, and i mean EVERYTHING can be expensive and you can end-up spending a fortune (soft drinks, water, snacks, excursions...).
plus, i felt that i was on holiday, i dont want to watch what i was spending all the time... so my tip is go AI - its worth it for the care-free feeling you get.

BIG TIP!!!!!!!!! whatever you do, make sure you BOOK THE SEA PLANE TRANSFER BEFORE YOU GO (atleast a week before you go)!!!!! we went with thomson and it simply said 'transfers included' - yes, SPEED BOAT transfers!!! the last thing you want to do after a 10 hour flight is sit on a sweaty, sticky bouching speed boat for 2.5 hours... ohhh hell no....
needless to say we booked the sea plane transfer for the way back - they were AWESOME!!! only takes 30minutes to Mali and the Canadian pilots are cooool (flying in aviators, shorts and flip flops!!)

all in all, its amazing. the best holiday i've even been on !!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Sun Island Resort? Share your experiences!