Sun Island Resort is a brilliant All-Inclusive resort in the Maldives. I'm surprised to read other reviews saying that it is not - as far as we were concerned the All-Inclusive was effortless and worked well.
The Island itself is perfect and well cared for - always workmen and gardeners working during the day. A little distressing to see Muslim ladies in traditional full-length garb sweeping the beach and pathways with short coconut leaf brooms - very hard on their backs and arms I'm sure. The staff generally are wonderful - yes of course they want to be tipped but is that unusual? They are courteous and efficient and sort any problems immediately and with good grace - well worth a tip. Hussein at the pool is a real gentleman and has a tremendous memory. My only complaint was the bike hire man - clearly having a bad day!!
Beaches are stunning - especially near the Water Sports Centre - textbook desert island - photos don't do it justice - you need to see it with your own eyes.
Beware mozzies near the bungalows. The public areas are sprayed but other areas aren't and should be.
My one 'complaint' which isn't really a complaint - maybe a query - why do people insist on taking small children to the Maldives - it's boring for them and they end up having arguments. The Maldives should be the preserve of adults who appreciate it's beauty and tranquility. I am a parent myself so will apologise now - but please - don't waste your money - take your kids to Spain where they will be happier and have lots of new friends - save your money until they're old enough to leave home alone - you will appreciate the islands so much more without them.
Restaurants served good food - we ate mainly in the AI one - service in the Thai was rather poor but the food delicious.
Loved the shark and sting ray feeding - huge sharks at such close quarters - amazing.
I would recommend seaplane out to this island - but make sure you do the free Sunset fishing trip - fascinating and great fun!!
The Spa is also worth a long visit - I tried a Thai massage for the first time - what an experience and very effective. Staff are very courteous and the special offer including lunch is a bargain when you consider what the tratments alone would cost over here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sun Island measuring about 1.6 km in length and around 380 meters in width has 350 elegantly furnished guestrooms, including 72 water bungalows, out of which, 4 are Presidential Suites, 218 Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows and 60 Deluxe Beach Bungalows. All Deluxe and Super Deluxe Beach Bungalows are built on the beach ensuring a direct view of the shore and sea. All Water Bungalows are built on stilts in the lagoon overlooking the vast horizon of either the sunrise or sunset view, from your private deck. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelbag, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sun Island Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Island Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Sun Island Resort Maldives
- Sun Island Maldives
- Hotel Sun Island