“Family friendly place with an amazing snorkelling reef! WOW!!”

Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was apprehensive about this trip, booked by my fiancé, but i need not have been.

if you're looking for pretentious stuff, romantic couply stuff, honeymooning, or are anti-karaoke/ dicos/ 80s cocktails, don't come here.

if you enjoy island life, outdoors, surfing, water sports and great food, undisturbed views of the setting sun and value for money, with a family in tow, COME HERE!

yeah, it could use some updating, a little TLC, but look past this and remember this a jewel in the most gorgeous bit of the indian ocean. inspiring stuff! our best memory was the moonlit, starlit 40 minute speed boat trip dashing away from the island, back to Male airport… so sad to leave!

Great value for money, a fantastic snorkelling/ dive/ surf and watersports hut, with daily excursions and a small boat crew to guide you, provided the high quality silicone snorkels and masks and fins included, not expensive, and saw practically everything the ocean might offer in this part of the world.. huge variety of fish, turtles, dolphins (whom we swam with), safe reef sharks, manta rays, JUST AMAZING! wish i'd bought a high quality underwater camera. not much deep pink/red/orange coral, but still impressive!

Even without booking an excursion, the reef around this island is amazing, don't miss out on a pre sunset dip and watch out for MORAY EELS in the more stagnant water where the boats dock, and between rocks.

food is good, (i'm picky) and if you pay extra to sit on the peer, for a change from the daily breakfast/lunch/supper buffet (you get allocated to the same table each night for the all inclusive one), for a romantic supper, there is a gentle breeze a dimly moonlit pier, swaying palm trees, delicious buffet and you 'all inclusive' cocktails included, with the added surprise of direct view of baby reef sharks and fish swimming away below!

we were blown away by the hospitality, the clean rooms and the friendly staff. endless supply of clean soft towels, tea and coffee, water daily and fresh water outside to keep sandy feet fresh.

they have a open bar side pool table and table tennis, and a fully functional AC gym with all facilities, if that interests you, all included in your price,

I haven't done any all inclusive holidays for a long while, if the daily excursions were included, that would get them a 5* review from me (for 2 of us going practically daily for 8 days, we spent an extra 500 pounds on our snorkelling fun times!)

However, this is definitively the most family friendly, gorgeous and well catered resort i have been to in the maldives, and doesn't necessarily break the bank, compared to other places.

the sand is softer on one side of the island than the other, and the sunset views are just everything i could've dreamed of, (apart form my fiancé making us move to not be under risk of falling coconuts) and some of the bungalows offer direct views over the ocean as you wake up. divine!

humble, peaceful, fun and friendly island.

miss it all so much!

Room Tip: on arrival have a wander around the island, they'll change you to a different beach bungalow, if...
2  Thank JungliSoul
Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Perfect location for some serious rest and relaxation. We stayed in a beach villa which was ideal as all we had to do was walk out of the front door and we were on the beach and then the sea (with a reef for snorkelling) was only another 20 metres! Needed the fan and/or air conditioning on at night as it was so hot but the heat was one of the main reasons for going to The Maldives! We were comfortable at nigt with the fan on. Food was good (although didn't make breakfast as we felt 7.30 to 9.30 when on holiday was a bit early - hence no comment below about breakfast!) and the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: If I was to go back I would choose a beach villa again, preferably between numbers 180 and 200, pure...
1  Thank chuckinald
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have just spent one wonderful week at the Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi as part of a Sri Lanka/Maldives two centre holiday. After a week of busy touring in Sri Lanka it was so nice to arrive at this beautiful island where rest and relaxation were all that we needed. Having read some of the reviews we were a little worried but there was no cause for concern. The staff were very welcoming and helpful from the moment we stepped off the speedboat transfer to the time we left.

There are a few minor comments I would like to make though, although none of these affected our stay and comfort in any way whatsoever and are merely constructive criticism. Firstly, there is currently some building work going on around the island, some to the ocean villas following a recent fire and some where new beach villas are being constructed. None of this affected us in any way, it was concealed as much as possible and there was no noise to affect the peace and tranquility of the island. Secondly, the food was good, with a good choice of dishes, mainly Asian style but with some Western cuisine, although towards the end of our stay it went downhill slightly and lacked variety. We adore spicy food so it was ideal for us! Thirdly, the excursions and beauty treatments on offer can be a bit pricey, although having said that we went on the most amazing snorkelling trip out into the ocean which was well worth the $30 each it cost us and if you go there and enjoy snorkelling, this is a must. You can snorkel off shore but beware the currents are quite strong and warning signs are displayed to this effect. Whichever you decide to do, there are some beautiful fish and corals to be seen. I saw quite a lot just literally feet from the beach so you don't have to be too adventurous.

My final negative comment is that on our final day, we had to check out by 12noon but our speedboat transfer was not until 5pm. Our last meal on the all inclusive package was breakfast and if we wanted lunch it would have cost an additional $25 per person which we thought was excessive knowing what was on offer, so we didn't bother.

The resort was very quiet towards the end of the stay which meant that not a lot was going on, but this did not bother us as we wanted peace and quiet.

The staff are very polite and helpful, particularly the room attendants, the garden staff and our lovely waiter - they all like to talk to you and ask how you are. We were provided with 4 litres of bottled water each day, an essential taking into account the heat.

We stayed in a beach villa which was very comfortable and clean. The room attendant visited twice a day and we were also provided with clean beach/pool towels each day. The outside bathroom facilities were fine although some "tidying up" of the fittings and tiling wouldn't go a miss, but we appreciate that they are open to the elements so they are not always going to be in pristine condition. There is something quite surreal about showering under the stars!

Overall, a lovely island to stay on and I am sure that as soon as all the works have been completed it will be even better. It was a great introduction to the Maldives and certainly makes us want to return, either here or maybe to try one of the many other beautiful islands it has to offer.

4  Thank pjburton
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have just returned from a family trip to adaaran and we are terribly disappointed with the hotel. We stayed in the ocean villa and the rooms are in desperate need of renovation. To start with the king bed is made up of two mattresses put together that too they are not at the same level! so u sort of have a hill for a bed, comfy! We had asked for a crib for our 9 month daughter, which was provided, but the crib was broken and inspite of requesting housekeeping and the reception, we were not given one till the end! we also resorted to praying to god for a replacement but that didn't work either, so it was my wife, my daughter and me sleeping on the hill!! The tiles in our room were loose! You can actually pull some out with your hands. Well enough about the room, moving on to the bathroom, open to sky bath, the sound of the sea, paradise right? wrong! not with adaaran! The fixtures were rusted, loose tiles and the heavenly shower could not drain water!!! Again inspite of informing housekeeping, the water logging issue was not sorted till the end. There were similar issues in my parents room as well, so this was not a one off bad room. We tried upgrading to the Ocean Villas, but they were sold out, not sure how good they would have been. But this is still not the worst part of the hotel, that award goes to the staff! By far the rudest staff i have ever met in my life. They absolutely don't smile and don't care a damn about the guest. The management of this hotel, if it has one, does not know the meaning of hospitality. The water sports section also has some of the worst staff, they were not helpful at all. Secondly half the water sports facilities were broken! The tennis and badminton court have craters and big cracks on them, no wonder we saw no one using these facilities during our stay. The only plus in this hotel, which is not their doing, is the natural beauty. The sea is mesmerizing and almost makes you forget all the flaws of this hotel. We snorkelled all day in the house reef and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The coconut spa is excellent as well with treatment rooms opening out to the ocean. Its a shame that a beautiful island like this has a terrible hotel like Adaaran. Avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank EnDeeBee
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have just returned from an absolutely wonderful vacation spent at the gorgeous Adaraan. Since this was a last minute trip, I had no clue what kind of resort Adaraan would be. Nevertheless the first impression I got on arriving was positive and that set the tone for 4 wonderful days.

The positives:

1. The checkin process was very pleasant. We were offered cold towels and cold beverages and that was a good respite from the heat. Our room keys were ready and all we had to do was sign a simple form. Shihalini then gave us a quick but informative briefing about the hotel and we were on our way to our beach villas.

2. The villa - spacious and luxurious. I had a comfortable double bed and sofa/lounge and even after that there was a lot of space in my room. Enough for 2 people to do yoga! I also had a safe and a large closet. The outdoor bathroom was a wonderful feature and I loved the open shower. I say 'open' but it had all the privacy so no one need worry. The sound insulation in the villa was excellent too.

3. The facilities - I used all the food and beverage outlets, the swimming pool, pool table, gym, table tennis and tennis courts. Everything was in very good condition.

4. The food - overall, the food was good but it could do with some improvement. I would certainly like to see more vegetarian food on the buffet. Sometimes I felt that there was a 'potato overload'. Maybe the chefs could look into this.

5. The service - Almost all the staff members are always smiling and very courteous. It just makes you feel good. Maeez from the main restaurant and Shihalini from the front desk were especially courteous and friendly towards us. I greatly appreciate this. One thing I must mentions is - when we checked in, the air conditioning in our villas had already been switched on. As such, our villas were nice and cool when we entered. This was very thoughtful of the staff!

6. The natural beauty - this has got to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. And I have seen a lot of nice places. The entire atoll has been occupied by the resort. My villa was barely 3-4 metres away from the ocean and I made full use of the gorgeous and pristine beach. The place is also full of trees and that's again something that I love.

7. Our private party - on our last evening we had a private party at Dhodi bar. The DJ played outstanding music, the service was excellent throughout and the snacks we had were just delicious. The entire 'setting' was hopelessly romantic and awesome! Each and every one of us just loved the time spent together. I won't forget this party for a long time to come.

The only negative I recollect is as follows:

1. With the exception of the Dhodi bar, all the other bars have extremely grumpy and discourteous bartenders. They simply don't smile. Each time someone asked for a drink, the expression on their faces were as if someone asked for their kidney. These bartenders stand out like a sore thumb in a resort where everyone else is so nice and friendly.

To the Adaraan management - please do something about it.

I would also like to thank the Director of Food and Beverage - Mr Mohan. He took personal interest in our cocktail party on the last evening of our stay. He was present throughout the party and that made our evening so much more memorable. Thank you, Mr Mohan.

Overall, I highly recommend this property. Whether you are a family or a honeymoon couple, there's plenty of seclusion and privacy to be had in what is a luxurious accommodation. Go for it!

Room Tip: In my opinion the best beach villas are those from 170 - 200.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank SaketPandit
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just returned from a fortnight's holiday spent at Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi, Maldives. Stayed in room 179 from 14th to 27th April 2014 which was a beach villa with direct views of the sea/lagoon. Absolutely amazing to sit on your veranda soaking in the scenery.
Read previous reviews about which part of the island to stay on and glad we took this advice. Rooms from about 150 upwards face the ocean. Some were semi-detached beach bungalows others were detached, but all rooms were a perfect size (quite large) and kept very clean. All facilities to hand such as air con, ceiling fan, mini fridge, kettle and tea/coffee stuff. Bath/shower plus an outdoor shower all fully functioning and kept very clean. Cleaning staff wonderful and very helpful. You also have your very own sunbeds which you can move round with you. Don't feel obliged to sunbathe near your room. We took ours to the beach near the beach bar which offered the sea breeze along with a short trip to the bar!
Snorkelling amazing. Saw turtles, parrot fish, stingrays, spotted eagle rays, various coloured fish and black tipped sharks! Never a boring moment in the very warm, crystal clear blue sea. Swam pretty much all the round way the island apart from the side that was for surfers which obviously had very strong currents. The island was tidal which I was surprised to learn when our first morning after arriving there was no sea to dip into until the tide returned. Looked like the surface of the moon as all the coral was on display!
Other reviews on here mentioned negative feedback regarding the food. For us, we're not fussy eaters hence have put on weight. Yes OK, some nights the vegetables were warm maybe a bit 'al dente' in places but if you're hungry, you'll eat them! Better than being all mushy is what I say. I could comment on a few things about the food but I feel I would be being picky. I feel that you don't go to the Maldives for the 5 star dining experience nor do you go to expect ham egg and chips and a roast dinner! There were plenty of curries to choose from, always an array of veggies, different rice (every night). Breakfasts were good with the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, beans, breads, cereals etc. Queue up for a few mins and you'll get a scrummy omelette or freshly cooked eggs of your liking. Not many pasta dishes to choose from and the meat selection could have been better. The chicken pieces were never breast - always thigh/leg etc. I liked the food and you could always pile your plate with something although it may never completely 'go together'!
This is our second trip to an Adaaran Select resort in the Maldives (Meedhupparu was the first). Lived up to and this one exceeded our expectations. Completely enjoyed every moment so thank you to all the staff for making our stay relaxing and thoroughly wonderful.
Would recommend this hotel and island. Perfect weather, beautiful destination and very friendly staff. Feel totally refreshed but not ready to go back to work!
Helen and Richard, Wimborne

Room Tip: Garden rooms have more shade and not really a pleasant view. Go for a room 150 upwards to enjoy the...
1  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 26 April 2014

First of all I specially want to give my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to this guy called "Sundar" at Ocean Villas, who has been extremely helpful. He also got back our misplaced engagement ring that we left out in our villa (#824), before we left to airport. We would like to convey this to Adaaran Management and treat him with deserved appreciation for that kind gesture.

We went for our honeymoon vacation there in mid March and we had the best time. The trip was for 4 days. Initially we wanted to get in Ocean Villas, but they weren't available. So we got Beach Villa (# 212) instead and we weren't disappointed. It was wonderful with the villa literally on the beach (some 5 foot steps away from the sea) with an amazing view. All the villas from #180- #230 has good view and nice beach. And there weren't any insects in the open bathroom. Room service was apt and friendly. No issues on that.

Also we have been told by our travel agent that if we want Ocean Villa, we can check at the main office to get upgraded to Ocean villa, if there is an availability for a night or two.
So we asked at the front desk and they said there was an availability for 2 nights for an upgrade cost of $180 per night. So we paid the difference. And we thought it was best decision not to book all 4 days for Ocean Villa, as we could experience both Beach Villas and Ocean villas.

Ocean villas are definitely beautiful and much luxurious than Beach villas. They have a big cot, free wifi, luxurious bathroom (tub and shower) and a great sea view, with direct access into the sea. But the flip side is that u dont want to get into the sea, without sea shoes. The water underneath these villas is full of sea weeds and crabs. So we never stepped into the water, by being on ocean villas. Ironically we got into the sea for the 2 days, when we were at Beach villas, as it was a harmless beach with nice sand and blueish green water. Also at nights, Ocean villas look a bit like haunted houses, with very less lighting and middle of the sea. And you wont feel like walking all the way to the island on that narrow bridge. Ofcourse they do provide you those free golf carts with a driver to the reception/restaurants. But u dont feel like asking them everytime and there is this privacy aspect as well. Hence my personal choice is Beach villas and may be an upgrade to Ocean villa for a night or two, just to experience it as well. I think Beach villas are more fun.

Also we took this "All inclusive" package. And that was the best thing we did. EVERYTHING was covered (Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner and some Alcohol beverages). Else that would have costed a bomb. Of course u wont get premium drinks like Corona under that package, but u get the most. Ocean Villa ppl have a separate Sunset beach restaurant which is pretty neat and has amazing sea view, whereas Beach villa and Garden villa ppl share a common huge restaurant in the middle of the island (but it was fun to see lot of ppl here). If you are not picky abt sea view, Garden Villas are at a throw away price. Anyways you wudnt keep your doors or windows open while sleeping/making out inside your beach villa! ;-) And you would have the same beach access as others, probably a few more steps away. But same benefits with the inclusive package. I saw lot of families doing that, but not for honeymooners.

This island has most of water sports like Jet Ski, Catamaran ride, Snorkelling, Air taxi, Submarine ride and Scuba diving, except Para gliding (wish they had this as well). Scuba diving guide can be little more helpful. I did my first scube dive there and it was exciting, nervous and terrifying. Lol. They also have a nice Spa center. Would recommend the couple package.

All in all it was a great experience. Will definitely recommend to my friends (already did..lol).

Room Tip: Any beach villas from #180- #230 are good. And go for All Inclusive package.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kalyan A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lhohifushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi? Share your experiences!