“You can find a better resort”

Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi
Perth
“You can find a better resort”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I will start with the positives.
1) The Maldives is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. The water is crystal clear and full of marine life.

2) The over the water bungalows are beautifully designed

3) Our butler for the stay was well mannered and happy to assist us

Now for the negatives. Unfortunately there was quite a few :(
1) The all inclusive package is a joke. It is not all inclusive. It does not include all drinks or any water sports

2) The drink options are very poor. The cocktails are made of syrup and an alcoholic beverage. The non alcoholic beverages are worse. They serve cordial and pre mixed cocktails. I would have thought they would have beautiful fruit juices but no fresh juice.

3) The food options are not impressive either. The food was served buffet style. The dishes consisted of rice, curries and some sort of fried food. Most dishes were very spicy which did not bother me but my wife struggled to eat a lot of them. I would have thought for the price we payed to stay there the food choices would be amazing. I imagined having a choice of maybe 5 or 6 dishes and having them cooked fresh. Lucky we only stayed a few nights as I became very bored of the food. I hate to say this but the burger king at the airport had more flavour.

4) Airport pick up. The day we arrived at the airport we expected to be greeted with a sign with our names on it (like most other hotels do). Instead when we arrived we had to go find the booth where the hotel was. When we got there we were told to go stand to the side and wait for the boat. After half an hour of standing in the heat with no one telling us how long it would be I eventually gave up and had to ask how much longer it would be. It turned out it would be another 20 minutes. I find this very poor. Again for the price we paid I would expect to arrive at the airport and be shuttled off.

5) The most disappointing thing occurred on our last day. We had checked out and decided to get some food to eat. After being bored of curry and rice we decided we would try and get a burger. After asking at reception we were directed to Lohi's bar. When we got there the bartender then advised us that he does not sell food at all. When I asked if there was anywhere else I could get food he said the only other place was the main restaurant. We decided we would have one last meal there. When we arrived to the restaurant I advised the server that we had checked out but was happy to pay. He showed us to our table hesitantly and the proceeded to watch our every move to ensure we did not run away without paying. We were half way through finishing out meal when he gave us our receipt. I asked him if he wanted us to pay here or go to the reception - he replied with yes. Due to the confusion I decided to leave my credit card on the bill to see if he wanted me to lay there. After 15
minutes they had not taken my credit card so I figured they wanted me to go to the reception so we proceeded to walk that way. We were then abruptly stopped by 3 staff who then escorted us to reception. We felt very offended and were made to feel like criminals. We had just paid close to $3000 for our stay and then accused of trying to steal a $50 lunch (a major rip off but that is another story). They were not the only staff to be rude as well but other reviewers have already touched on this.

In conclusion I would say the Maldives is an amazing place to stay but I would strongly encourage you to choose another resort. You can do so much better

Stayed July 2014
12 Thank Jasonrocca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at Adaaran with my husband to spend the hooneymoon and It was amazing! We cried when we had to leave! The island it is gorgeous, we stayed at beach vilas, and we made an upgrade to the ocean vilas for the last two nights, it worth it! We did not get bored at all, we did snorkeling and scuba diving, even thought it was my first time and I was afraid, it was amazing!!! I really really recomand it .We enjoyed our stay at the beach vila, and the last two days at the ocean vila, I recomand the mix, both experiences are different ! The food is very good, and I am picky, but you have a lot of choices, we had all inclusive.a cocktail it is 8 dollars if you don't have all inclusive.The stuff it is great, they are very friendly and they try to answer to all your questions!
Please ask me any question if you have!!
Enjoy your holiday, you will not regret coming here!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Hutanu C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am now on my third day of my holiday with my wife and two children. We are staying in two beach villas, villas 199 and 200. To say I am disappointed with the resort is an under-statement. Despite some very good reports previously on Trip Advisor I must confess I am bewildered how anyone can rate this as 4*. The location of the villas, the space in them, the private sun loungers on the beach directly outside of your front door, the views and the sea itself are excellent (5* plus). The furnishing of the villas is basic and at best 3*, but as we spend little time in them that is not a main gripe.

My poor rating is purely down to the cynical and exploitative nature of the All Inclusive package. I should have guessed there was going to be a problem when upon our arrival our welcome introduction consisted of a two-minute review of the map of the resort and then a ten-minute talk about what wasn't included in the AI, which is basically all of the things you would expect to find in any AI package elsewhere in the world. We travel long haul as a family twice a year typically to the Caribbean, Thailand or Mauritius and I have never had anything but exceptional holidays. I have summarised my feedback on the AI package below:

- Snorkelling is not included, you have to pay for the equipment on a daily basis.

- No water sports are included in the package at all.

- The only wifi access is in the reception area (not unusual in some places) but you have to pay for it in two hours slots.

- There are mini bars in the rooms but everything in them (including the water) is chargeable, starting at US$3 for a small bottle of water and then increasing in price depending on what you use.

- There are four bars in the resort but two of these are only AI until 6.00 pm in the evening. This is for two reasons. One is that they are the only two bars that get a breeze in the evening (typical temperature circa 35 degrees) and when you are wearing long shorts and a polo shirt it is very uncomfortable not to be sitting in a breeze. Secondly these are the only two bars where you can watch the sunset which obviously happens after 6.00 pm. Hence if you want to watch the sunset and be cool in the evening you have to pay for your drinks. The other two bars do serve drinks until midnight but these are extremely limited. For instance myself and my wife both enjoy a glass of dry white wine but we have been told there is only one wine incuded in the AI package which is a very sweet, very cheap dessert tasting wine that is frankly horrible. I have just complained to Reception about this 10 minutes ago and they informed me that I was wrong and that the bar does serve dry white wine. I have just been to get a glass only to be told that they only serve the sweet wine referred to previously. At this point the penny dropped and I asked if was able to buy a dry white wine to which they gladly told me they could provide me with a glass as long as I paid for it, which I politely declined out of principle. The cocktails included in the AI list are not the standard mojitos, pina coladas etc (you have to pay for all of these) but basically cheap spirits with a mixer i.e. rum & coke, gin, soda & syrup etc. Again very poor.

- The waiters in the bar (of which there are many) will not serve you when you sit down. You have to go to the bar and order your drink (which is not a problem) at which point a waiter will approach you and ask you to sit down while he brings your drink to you. At first I didn't understand this because as I had already taken the trouble to walk to the bar there was little inconvenience to me to turn round and carry my drink back. It transpires that the reason for this practice is that by bringing your drink to you a tip is anticipated. I have no problem with tipping but not when people are acting in such an obvious and cynical manner.

- The all day snacks are anything but. I am looking at them now and they consist of three drinks dispensers serving unchilled water, chilled water and melli juice (don't ask me!). There is nothing else there at this moment in time although I have seen at intermittent times during the day small plates of biscuits and croissants brought out by the waiters and placed there. That is it.

- The two aforementioned beach bars where you can get the poor quality of AI drinks (but only until 6.00 pm as stated previously) do serve food at lunchtime and in the evening but this is not included in your AI package either and all food at any time of day from these beach bars has to be paid for i.e. if you are on the beach in front of one of these during the day and do not want to walk all the way back to the central buffet restaurant to eat lunch you have to pay for the priviledge.

- The food package is even worse. The a la carte restaurant that is quoted in the brochure is not in the AI package nor do you get any credits to use if you eat there. Each night they post that evening's menu outside the restaurant and in the two nights we have been here a typical price has been US$90 person, including by 10 and 12 year old. The only restaurant included in the AI package is the buffet which is extremely basic and extremely repetitive serving things like beetroot curry, daal curry, a chicken dish (although never breast, only drumsticks), a meat dish and then a few terrines containing various rices and glazed vegetables. The salad bar is very small and contains the same bowls each day, sliced white cabbage, sliced red cabbage, cucumber, tomato and lettuce. Sometimes they also have grated carrot and a "speciality" salad (which is usually, we have been told by other guests, is made up from the leftovers from whatever paid beach bbq was being hosted the previous evening. We are looking forward to tomorrow's speciality salad as tonight's paid event is a seafood bbq so we might be lucky and get lobster salad tomorrow! I must admit there are excellent omelettes at breakfast and the queue for these is quite big, but not surprising taking into account what else is on offer i.e. no cold meats, no cheese, limited pastries, one choice of yoghurt etc etc.

Notwithstanding the above the Maldives is indeed a glorious place to visit and as stated at the start of this review the villas and the beach location are indeed special. It is such a shame that by taking such a cynical attempt to exploit tourists who have nowhere else to go the owners have converted what would have been a 5*plus review into a 2*, all for saving a few pounds. It has left a bad taste in my mouth as my children have been looking forward to coming here since we booked it back in January, so I will do my best to ignore the deficiencies and concentrate on the surroundings and the snorkelling.

On a final note we have been told that the management do not respond to notices like this and do not factor any negative feedback into their offering as although they get very little repeat business they do manage to stay at full occupancy most of the time via first time visitors. This seems a very short term business plan to me but it currently seems to be working.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the villas from 180-230. These are all right on the beach with private numbered s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank Michael W
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at this resort from hell. We were shown to our first room and were met with a wall full of leaking marks coming from the air conditioner. This was followed with an overpowering smell of mould coming from the bed somewhere. We notified the front desk about this and they offered to move us to another room. Next room the safe didn't work and the toilet was blocked. After enquiring on the second day about returning home the world surfari team of Richard and Amy became involved. They were fantastic,they listened to us and tried to help us settle.

We then moved rooms a third time, the roof leaked in this room.

We paid upwards of $500 per night to stay in this very tired poorly maintained resort. We bought the all inclusive package. The food was awful, everything is served by 'Bain Marie' . More often than not the food was cold, looked like it had been reheated more than a couple of times and was not at all appetising. The house wine was appalling, clearly out of a very bad wine cask. Don't even bother
You pay for wifi this is not part of the 'package'.

If you want to snorkel it will cost you $7(US) per person per day to hire.

This resort will charge for absolutely everything. Don't kid yourself that anything comes part of the package. We were even asked on arrival if we wanted lunch that day otherwise we could not have lunch on the day of departure. As it turned out we had to get the boat back to the mainland at 11, so we missed lunch - no refund forthcoming. I guess that is our bad luck.

The televisions were antiquated as well. By the third room the reception was atrocious. You could hardly see the picture.

The beds were very old with very old pillows provided. A minimum of three pillows were provided so my husband took some cushions off the wooden sofas in the room.

In all this is a resort that does not even come close to three stars.

The only thing going for it is the world surfari team of Richard and Amy and the island itself is beautiful. The world surfari team take really good care of the surfers and make sure they have a fantastic surfing trip.

Room Tip: Forget it they are all terrible we tried three of them during our stay and not one came without prob...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Originally the travel operator offered another island as they wanted to let us know that there were some renovation & rebuilding works going on, on the island. But we decided we'd stick with our original choice. No impact whatsoever. Our Beach villa was lovely including the outdoor bathroom. The restaurant & bars were good. Lohi's bar is where you can hang out & watch the surfers after a days diving!! Just be mindful of which bars are included in the AI package & what time of day they stop!! All in all a fab holiday. Staff were pleasant & friendly. Biggest thanks go to the Dive Point Dive centre for an amazing 2 weeks diving. .....yet again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TankGirlBec
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My brother and I came to the Maldives to take part in hudhuranfushis Surf program arranged through world surfaris.

The price we paid included a significant supplement (above the standard rate) to surf the house surf break Lohifushi with limited others (max 35), as well as have access to the surf guides and daily surf boats.

For surfers the limited numbers is a huge bonus and during our week (June 2014) there were only 15 surfers on the island.

First the positives:
1. Lohis surf break - we surfed it around 3/6 days and had amazing waves and it was either empty or at most we surfed with 4-5 others.
2. Surf guides - Richard and Amy Kotch. Excellent. Unique insights and both great fun, extremely hard working couple whose mission is to get you on the best waves at the right time.
This is a huge asset to the resort and hopefully they recognize what a good thing they have and look after these guys.

3. We met some great people from around the world who were also surfing and that also made the stay fun.
4. Surf program - the twice daily boats to local reefs is a great advantage. Local surf is world class and we had excellent overhead clean surf every day.
The surf outside Lohis and Ninjas can get crowded but with Amy or Rich in charge they will navigate this well and try and get you there ahead of others. We surfed Jails overhead and clean with only 2 others for 45 mins. Again, an amazing effort by the guides.

5. The Maldives are beautiful, this island is no different. Brilliant sea life (sharks, rays, dolphins etc). Crystal clear water.

6. On the whole most staff are pleasant and competent. One or two stood out including the restaurant captain who managed to look after us well. One or two didn't e.g the over zealous lohis barman who strictly enforced the 6pm cut off for lohis bar for inclusive drinks. See below

And some negatives:
1. Resort is v tired. 3 star at best. We understand they are v full generally but have very little repeat business. Therefore, their model is about attracting the cheaper end of the market for one off holidays. So the below probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

We stayed in a beach bungalow. Very basic, old tv, outdoor bathroom (not good if you don't like bugs). The beach they face is not really a beach. It's under foliage, so you can't really see much from the deck. The main beach areas are approx ten mins walk away.
2. Food. The circus tent they call the main restaurant where you eat for your all inclusive deal is v dark and not very welcoming.
Food is basic but plentiful. We found ourselves purchasing food from the non inclusive places out of boredom.
Drinks - the quality of inclusive drinks is low. Copies of main brand spirits, boxed wine and local beer (fine). Again we bought the odd bottle of wine and nice coffee.

3. Activities -
Sport - gym v old, the pool is nice but v small, tennis court is full of holes and looks dangerous. Not much for small kids, just a small old climbing frame.
Other activities are all payable. I suspect if you were here for two weeks you could spend a lot of money entertaining a family as there is not much available within the price you pay.

4. Lohis bar has a 6pm cut off for inclusive drinks. This is timed so that if you want to enjoy sunset you have to pay for your drinks. Very poor of management to try and take advantage of guests like this.
This area could be made into a great sunset bar and have themed post surf entertainment but is usually empty, bar a few of the surfers and curious guests who disappear once 6pm arrives.

Others
Transfers etc all fine and straight forward. Possibly not good for anyone nervous about water as you travel at v high speed in a very basic but v fast boat in the dark.

All in all we had a great time, mostly due to the surfing and people we met. I would come back for that and the surf guides, but would not visit the resort again without this element.

Overall I would not recommend for a holiday absent the surf package, unless you are on a v tight budget. In which case, If you are happy to do very little on holiday and not fussy about food or accommodation this could be a good option.

• Stayed June 2014
17 Thank MirfR1
Hampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Flew out from the UK on the 31st of May staying for 2 weeks, had read all of the reviews and had gained a pretty normal opinion of what it was going to be like.
To be fair any island in the Maldives will almost certainly be beautiful.
I am not going to write a review either based on the flight out that was delayed due to tarmac being laid in Dubai not really the islands fault now, I am not going to write about how long it took Cosmos to answer its phones, though in all fairness they did phone back when they said they would.
First up the airport very simple and very quick to exit just fill in the card given to you on the plane have no alcohol or any unsealed drink for that matter in your luggage, it will be x-rayed and you are in.
Walk out the door and your tour rep will greet you with a smile, this is the best time to grab a sim card for any internet you might want to use etc. whilst away just let the rep know, just so they can find you there is normally quite a queue.
Then it will be over to your islands or hotels desk or the seaplane check-in, a quick word on the seaplane luggage allowance is 20kg inclusive.
For me I had a wait of around 30 minutes for some more guests to arrive before catching the speedboat to the island, a very minor moan would be at the airport to just maybe say how long it will be so you could at least go for a wander and stretch your legs, been sat down for quite a while leading up to that so to speak.
The room / bungalow is basic but big and perfect for what you need bed is huge and nice and firm a spare pillow can be had for those that need it, the bathroom is clean and tidy if you are expecting 4 star UK this is the point you need to get very real and look at facts closely.
Cost of holiday say 1500 GBP flight is easily 700 GBP so that now leaves 800 take another 20% holiday company profit so now we are 640GBP for 14 nights including transfers so around 45 GBP per night, might struggle to get a B&B in England for that and here you will get 3 meals and drinks.
The drinks are not the big label brands you get at home and what you pay premium price for at home they are the brands that sit lower on the shelf, if you want premium that will not be a problem but you will pay a price for them and that will include the shipping so to speak.
There is a safe in the room and unlike many places I have travelled to it is free, there is a TV with a selection of channels to watch covering many languages, my recollection says around 7 of them are English speaking.
What rooms are best well that of course in down to choice but 185 to 220 seem the most popular and the water on that side of the island was very calm during my stay perfect for a float around on the water.
With such calm water and clear to boot, snorkelling is great you will need some type of footwear in the water, as the coral is a tad sharp.
The guys and girls at the dive centre are really nice people so do not be shy go and chat to them, they will be honest and friendly with you even hold your hand if you asked.
You get 2 bottles of water each day in your room along with beach towels changed daily.
The shower is external as in the fact it has no roof and is spacious enough for newly married couples or those of us a bit older and more rounded in shape.
Towels in the bathroom are changed daily and bedding changed every other day.
There are a couple of shops and you can if you failed at the airport get a sim card or top up the one you did get this is one of the only cash transactions that you will make
The staff on the island have an aurora around them, making it feel that they are there to assist you however they can and they do it with a smile.
They will always say good morning etc. Even stand to the side to let you through even if they are carrying the weight.
Now there is one exception to this and that is the guys who drive the buggies around the island they are not to keen on moving out the way or waiting for that matter, they will of course smile as they try to run you over. It is a pity as these are the only staff that have any type of arrogance about them perhaps it is the driving element that causes it we all have some road rage built in us they have sand rage instead.
The evening entertainment lets just say it is an acquired taste and would be very unfair to judge.
Onto the food, well plenty of it that’s for sure and is it repetitive well if you decide to have a bit of everything then yes it will be, however if you have a single dish so to speak there is lots of variation to be had.
The new water bungalows look fantastic from the beach you are not allowed that close to them unless staying in them, which if you are paying out those types of numbers you do want peace and quiet from everybody else.
You can of course you can upgrade for around $200 per night but being a solo traveller I did not.
Do not be fooled by the happy smile on the guard’s face it will change if you are not a water villa guest.
He will of course still smile as he informs you to change direction.
From what I hear the water villas are amazing inside.
So in summing up the island is stunning and kept in beautiful condition by the hard work of the gardeners.
Who tirelessly rake up each leaf as it falls; pull your sunbed back as the tide comes in.
Always say good morning and afternoon as a new leaf has fallen down and needs to be raked
The staff smiles with warmth and food is perfectly edible and as for the view well this is the Maldives.
Is it 4 stars with everything taken into account?
Easy

Room Tip: Rooms from 200 to 225 seem the most popular i had 200 and it was excellent
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Clive5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lhohifushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi

Been to Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi? Share your experiences!