“Fantastic Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We returned yesterday after a 2 week stay on the island. It must be a different place to some of the reviews on here. Perhaps people missed out on seeing the lovely joints being carved or the tender beef and chicken that was available every day. In 2 weeks we counted a choice of over 30 different soups ( 3 a day all different) Never have we seen so many fresh veg and salads available in all the hotels we have stayed at in the Maldives.
The staff were happy to chat to you, even the garden boys had good english. All in all a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Heather S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I can't believe how people complain about the all incusive. not including all the cocktails etc. You are in the Maldives, enjoy a good beer, or a brandy, vodka, coke etc, I don't need a cosmopolitain or a long island ice tea to make my holiday worth while. I stayed here for a week in the beginning of July and it was excellent. I thought there was too much choice of food, and got a bit disappointed when i started to feel full. In fact I had to skip either breakfast of lunch as, there was just too much choice and food to eat in one day. Maybe i'm just not a fussy eater though. I had fried fish, grilled fish, burgers, hot dogs, pastas (fresh cooked in front of me), roasts, chips, pizzas. Most times i couldn't even have dessert as i was just too full...

The rooms are amazing, very big, with a bed and a shower (and air con) - that's all you need on a tropical island. People who complain are spoilt brats, who shold probably look at going somewhere thats super expensive, instead of trying to hook a deal - cheap skates. Most of my time was spent diving and surfing. World surfaris was the tour operator, and sorted everything out. The waves and diving is world class, and amazing. We went as a family of 8, but i stayed with my girlfriend in room 213. We obviously took our diving equipment as, i have travelled to many islands and diving/surfing destinations around the world and this is the norm. You will obviously have to pay for water sports. I maybe had to walk an extra 5m, at the airport to the adaaran booth, to catch the boat to the hotel, so the people who complain about not being met at arrivals - stop being so lazy, the boat trip is awesome and part of the experience, as is the airport - again - You're in the Maldives! Was so good to turn my phone off and not have to worry about wifi or any of that for the week... A proper holiday

The food is amazing, so is the hotel, the rooms and staff.... Lion beer for life!

14 Thank cassiusballoy
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I will start with the positives.
1) The Maldives is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. The water is crystal clear and full of marine life.

2) The over the water bungalows are beautifully designed

3) Our butler for the stay was well mannered and happy to assist us

Now for the negatives. Unfortunately there was quite a few :(
1) The all inclusive package is a joke. It is not all inclusive. It does not include all drinks or any water sports

2) The drink options are very poor. The cocktails are made of syrup and an alcoholic beverage. The non alcoholic beverages are worse. They serve cordial and pre mixed cocktails. I would have thought they would have beautiful fruit juices but no fresh juice.

3) The food options are not impressive either. The food was served buffet style. The dishes consisted of rice, curries and some sort of fried food. Most dishes were very spicy which did not bother me but my wife struggled to eat a lot of them. I would have thought for the price we payed to stay there the food choices would be amazing. I imagined having a choice of maybe 5 or 6 dishes and having them cooked fresh. Lucky we only stayed a few nights as I became very bored of the food. I hate to say this but the burger king at the airport had more flavour.

4) Airport pick up. The day we arrived at the airport we expected to be greeted with a sign with our names on it (like most other hotels do). Instead when we arrived we had to go find the booth where the hotel was. When we got there we were told to go stand to the side and wait for the boat. After half an hour of standing in the heat with no one telling us how long it would be I eventually gave up and had to ask how much longer it would be. It turned out it would be another 20 minutes. I find this very poor. Again for the price we paid I would expect to arrive at the airport and be shuttled off.

5) The most disappointing thing occurred on our last day. We had checked out and decided to get some food to eat. After being bored of curry and rice we decided we would try and get a burger. After asking at reception we were directed to Lohi's bar. When we got there the bartender then advised us that he does not sell food at all. When I asked if there was anywhere else I could get food he said the only other place was the main restaurant. We decided we would have one last meal there. When we arrived to the restaurant I advised the server that we had checked out but was happy to pay. He showed us to our table hesitantly and the proceeded to watch our every move to ensure we did not run away without paying. We were half way through finishing out meal when he gave us our receipt. I asked him if he wanted us to pay here or go to the reception - he replied with yes. Due to the confusion I decided to leave my credit card on the bill to see if he wanted me to lay there. After 15
minutes they had not taken my credit card so I figured they wanted me to go to the reception so we proceeded to walk that way. We were then abruptly stopped by 3 staff who then escorted us to reception. We felt very offended and were made to feel like criminals. We had just paid close to $3000 for our stay and then accused of trying to steal a $50 lunch (a major rip off but that is another story). They were not the only staff to be rude as well but other reviewers have already touched on this.

In conclusion I would say the Maldives is an amazing place to stay but I would strongly encourage you to choose another resort. You can do so much better

Stayed July 2014
12 Thank Jasonrocca
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at Adaaran with my husband to spend the hooneymoon and It was amazing! We cried when we had to leave! The island it is gorgeous, we stayed at beach vilas, and we made an upgrade to the ocean vilas for the last two nights, it worth it! We did not get bored at all, we did snorkeling and scuba diving, even thought it was my first time and I was afraid, it was amazing!!! I really really recomand it .We enjoyed our stay at the beach vila, and the last two days at the ocean vila, I recomand the mix, both experiences are different ! The food is very good, and I am picky, but you have a lot of choices, we had all inclusive.a cocktail it is 8 dollars if you don't have all inclusive.The stuff it is great, they are very friendly and they try to answer to all your questions!
Please ask me any question if you have!!
Enjoy your holiday, you will not regret coming here!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Hutanu C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am now on my third day of my holiday with my wife and two children. We are staying in two beach villas, villas 199 and 200. To say I am disappointed with the resort is an under-statement. Despite some very good reports previously on Trip Advisor I must confess I am bewildered how anyone can rate this as 4*. The location of the villas, the space in them, the private sun loungers on the beach directly outside of your front door, the views and the sea itself are excellent (5* plus). The furnishing of the villas is basic and at best 3*, but as we spend little time in them that is not a main gripe.

My poor rating is purely down to the cynical and exploitative nature of the All Inclusive package. I should have guessed there was going to be a problem when upon our arrival our welcome introduction consisted of a two-minute review of the map of the resort and then a ten-minute talk about what wasn't included in the AI, which is basically all of the things you would expect to find in any AI package elsewhere in the world. We travel long haul as a family twice a year typically to the Caribbean, Thailand or Mauritius and I have never had anything but exceptional holidays. I have summarised my feedback on the AI package below:

- Snorkelling is not included, you have to pay for the equipment on a daily basis.

- No water sports are included in the package at all.

- The only wifi access is in the reception area (not unusual in some places) but you have to pay for it in two hours slots.

- There are mini bars in the rooms but everything in them (including the water) is chargeable, starting at US$3 for a small bottle of water and then increasing in price depending on what you use.

- There are four bars in the resort but two of these are only AI until 6.00 pm in the evening. This is for two reasons. One is that they are the only two bars that get a breeze in the evening (typical temperature circa 35 degrees) and when you are wearing long shorts and a polo shirt it is very uncomfortable not to be sitting in a breeze. Secondly these are the only two bars where you can watch the sunset which obviously happens after 6.00 pm. Hence if you want to watch the sunset and be cool in the evening you have to pay for your drinks. The other two bars do serve drinks until midnight but these are extremely limited. For instance myself and my wife both enjoy a glass of dry white wine but we have been told there is only one wine incuded in the AI package which is a very sweet, very cheap dessert tasting wine that is frankly horrible. I have just complained to Reception about this 10 minutes ago and they informed me that I was wrong and that the bar does serve dry white wine. I have just been to get a glass only to be told that they only serve the sweet wine referred to previously. At this point the penny dropped and I asked if was able to buy a dry white wine to which they gladly told me they could provide me with a glass as long as I paid for it, which I politely declined out of principle. The cocktails included in the AI list are not the standard mojitos, pina coladas etc (you have to pay for all of these) but basically cheap spirits with a mixer i.e. rum & coke, gin, soda & syrup etc. Again very poor.

- The waiters in the bar (of which there are many) will not serve you when you sit down. You have to go to the bar and order your drink (which is not a problem) at which point a waiter will approach you and ask you to sit down while he brings your drink to you. At first I didn't understand this because as I had already taken the trouble to walk to the bar there was little inconvenience to me to turn round and carry my drink back. It transpires that the reason for this practice is that by bringing your drink to you a tip is anticipated. I have no problem with tipping but not when people are acting in such an obvious and cynical manner.

- The all day snacks are anything but. I am looking at them now and they consist of three drinks dispensers serving unchilled water, chilled water and melli juice (don't ask me!). There is nothing else there at this moment in time although I have seen at intermittent times during the day small plates of biscuits and croissants brought out by the waiters and placed there. That is it.

- The two aforementioned beach bars where you can get the poor quality of AI drinks (but only until 6.00 pm as stated previously) do serve food at lunchtime and in the evening but this is not included in your AI package either and all food at any time of day from these beach bars has to be paid for i.e. if you are on the beach in front of one of these during the day and do not want to walk all the way back to the central buffet restaurant to eat lunch you have to pay for the priviledge.

- The food package is even worse. The a la carte restaurant that is quoted in the brochure is not in the AI package nor do you get any credits to use if you eat there. Each night they post that evening's menu outside the restaurant and in the two nights we have been here a typical price has been US$90 person, including by 10 and 12 year old. The only restaurant included in the AI package is the buffet which is extremely basic and extremely repetitive serving things like beetroot curry, daal curry, a chicken dish (although never breast, only drumsticks), a meat dish and then a few terrines containing various rices and glazed vegetables. The salad bar is very small and contains the same bowls each day, sliced white cabbage, sliced red cabbage, cucumber, tomato and lettuce. Sometimes they also have grated carrot and a "speciality" salad (which is usually, we have been told by other guests, is made up from the leftovers from whatever paid beach bbq was being hosted the previous evening. We are looking forward to tomorrow's speciality salad as tonight's paid event is a seafood bbq so we might be lucky and get lobster salad tomorrow! I must admit there are excellent omelettes at breakfast and the queue for these is quite big, but not surprising taking into account what else is on offer i.e. no cold meats, no cheese, limited pastries, one choice of yoghurt etc etc.

Notwithstanding the above the Maldives is indeed a glorious place to visit and as stated at the start of this review the villas and the beach location are indeed special. It is such a shame that by taking such a cynical attempt to exploit tourists who have nowhere else to go the owners have converted what would have been a 5*plus review into a 2*, all for saving a few pounds. It has left a bad taste in my mouth as my children have been looking forward to coming here since we booked it back in January, so I will do my best to ignore the deficiencies and concentrate on the surroundings and the snorkelling.

On a final note we have been told that the management do not respond to notices like this and do not factor any negative feedback into their offering as although they get very little repeat business they do manage to stay at full occupancy most of the time via first time visitors. This seems a very short term business plan to me but it currently seems to be working.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the villas from 180-230. These are all right on the beach with private numbered s...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Michael W
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at this resort from hell. We were shown to our first room and were met with a wall full of leaking marks coming from the air conditioner. This was followed with an overpowering smell of mould coming from the bed somewhere. We notified the front desk about this and they offered to move us to another room. Next room the safe didn't work and the toilet was blocked. After enquiring on the second day about returning home the world surfari team of Richard and Amy became involved. They were fantastic,they listened to us and tried to help us settle.

We then moved rooms a third time, the roof leaked in this room.

We paid upwards of $500 per night to stay in this very tired poorly maintained resort. We bought the all inclusive package. The food was awful, everything is served by 'Bain Marie' . More often than not the food was cold, looked like it had been reheated more than a couple of times and was not at all appetising. The house wine was appalling, clearly out of a very bad wine cask. Don't even bother
You pay for wifi this is not part of the 'package'.

If you want to snorkel it will cost you $7(US) per person per day to hire.

This resort will charge for absolutely everything. Don't kid yourself that anything comes part of the package. We were even asked on arrival if we wanted lunch that day otherwise we could not have lunch on the day of departure. As it turned out we had to get the boat back to the mainland at 11, so we missed lunch - no refund forthcoming. I guess that is our bad luck.

The televisions were antiquated as well. By the third room the reception was atrocious. You could hardly see the picture.

The beds were very old with very old pillows provided. A minimum of three pillows were provided so my husband took some cushions off the wooden sofas in the room.

In all this is a resort that does not even come close to three stars.

The only thing going for it is the world surfari team of Richard and Amy and the island itself is beautiful. The world surfari team take really good care of the surfers and make sure they have a fantastic surfing trip.

Room Tip: Forget it they are all terrible we tried three of them during our stay and not one came without prob...
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Originally the travel operator offered another island as they wanted to let us know that there were some renovation & rebuilding works going on, on the island. But we decided we'd stick with our original choice. No impact whatsoever. Our Beach villa was lovely including the outdoor bathroom. The restaurant & bars were good. Lohi's bar is where you can hang out & watch the surfers after a days diving!! Just be mindful of which bars are included in the AI package & what time of day they stop!! All in all a fab holiday. Staff were pleasant & friendly. Biggest thanks go to the Dive Point Dive centre for an amazing 2 weeks diving. .....yet again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TankGirlBec
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lhohifushi Island
Adaaran Prestige Ocean Villas
Adaaran Prestige Ocean Villas
#1 of 1 in Lohifushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
#1 of 1 in Farukolhufushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,211 reviews

Been to Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi? Share your experiences!