“Secret Pizzo Tour”

La Dolce Vita Pizzo - Pizzo Tours
Ranked #7 of 20 things to do in Pizzo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: See the Secret Pizzo tourists don't usually see... our unique Guided Tours are enjoyable, entertaining and informative. Explore the real Pizzo with a knowledgeable and experienced guide. Hear the stories and understand the sights of Pizzo: Cave Church, Tartufo ice cream, Castle, Food & Wine Tasting, Cooking, Medieval Old Town & more. Small private groups. Cost: from €10 pp. See website for details.
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Pizzo is best known for the Murat Castle, the Chiesa di Piedigrotta and, of course, il Tartufo! However, this tour with Anna Rose taught me that there was much, much more to learn about this beautiful old town. Pizzo is literally a maze of narrow backstreets and alleyways, but my walk with Anna brought to light the fascinating history and architecture which surrounds the visitor to Pizzo. At various times in its history, Pizzo has been ruled by the Greeks, Romans, Saracens, Normans, French and Spanish. Incredibly, traces of all these influences can still be seen in the old part of Pizzo today, if only you know where to look. This is where Anna's expert knowledge comes in as, during the walk, she takes time to stop and point out the architectural features of some of Pizzo's most interesting buildings and places these in their historical context. Whilst we looked at a number of palazzi, the highlight of the tour for me was the chance to actually see inside one, and meet the local lady who lives there today and maintains the interior in an authentic style. If, like me, you are fascinated by history and architecture then this tour is for you. Anna's passion and knowledge make her an excellent guide, and her tour is the best-if not the only- way to discover Pizzo's secrets. I cannot recommend this highly enough!

There are newer reviews for La Dolce Vita Pizzo - Pizzo Tours

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Anna's insight and help were invaluable to my trip to Pizzo. As it was my first visit to Calabria, I so appreciated her knowledge and recommendations of lodging, restaurants, and things to do. She was helpful in arranging wonderful transport for us to and from the train station. She had to go out of town shortly after our arrival. However, before leaving, she made sure to welcome us warmly and to see that we were settled in our hotel and equipped with recommendations.
Anna also arranged transport for my friend and I to take a day trip to a nearby village. My friend's ancestors are from the area, and she wanted to explore her family's history. Anna kindly did research on our behalf prior to our arrival. Our driver (who was so fantastic and lovely-I could write another whole review just on her!) also served as our interpreter as my friend tried to reconnect with her Italian roots there. The day could not have gone better! I feel certain that the experience would not have been nearly as rich without Anna's help. Thanks, Anna!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was our first trip to Italy and Pizzo was our first stop. We wanted to stay in a small town which was authentic and not too busy. We fell in love with Pizzo! It is a wonderful town with narrow streets, churches, small shops & cafes and is full of character.
Thanks & well done to Anna who was an excellent guide, she is so knowledgeable and helpful and when we left we felt like we had known her for years. The tours Anna offers are so interesting and unique and we thoroughly enjoyed learning a little more about Pizzo and the region. We can't wait to go back and spend longer exploring more of the area with Anna.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Anna Rose came highly recommended to me by friends who had visited Pizzo on a number of occasions. I had also visited her website www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk which was highly informative and helpful. I arrived on Monday night and made contact with her, arranging the visit for Wednesday morning to suit me best. Anna's knowledge and understanding of this part of Italy and of Pizzo more specifically is profound and heartfelt, which makes any tour an absolute joy to be on. The visit to the Chiesa di Piedigrotta and then the Castle were two of my highlights.Her experience of living and working in Pizzo gives the tour real authenticity and she provides you with a sense of belongingness to Pizzo in a way that is non-intrusive and friendly. Later on in the evening I bumped into locals whom I'd met on the tour with Anna who remembered me and were so welcoming and warm. I already felt part of the town even as a tourist! A great way to start your holiday!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We booked a private tour with Anna to visit my father's home town of Dipignano, Calabria. Anna was very pleasant, professional, and helpful; without her, this special day would not have been possible!! Although she is based in Pizzo, she was willing to pick us up in Amantea and take us to Dipignano. She had done her homework in searching out possible sites to visit, but was flexible with our plans to spend more time with relatives. Both she and her driver speak Italian well. I'd highly recommend her!