“Wonderful but beware if you have a problem with heights” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Alquezar
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Wonderful but beware if you have a problem with heights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is the standard shortish walk from the town centre of Alquezar. Because we are in our mid-70s and have wonky knees we were advised correctly to walk down the path from the main cafe street outside the old town and return up the gorge. We are glad we had an early start as it git rather hot as we were returning. The open walk downhill was lovely, passing vegetable plots and olive trees and full of lovely flowers in May. I must admit I git quite a shock when we got to the river and I realised what they meant by 'pasarelas'; I thought the word meant 'footbridges' but here it refers to long metal openwork walkways secures to a solid cliff face above a foaming torrent (at least in the first section) - and I suffer from vertigo! However I managed them all without totally panicking. before returning up the gorge to the old town one has the chance to enjoy a lovely calm stretch of water (above the hydro dam). And then comes a very interesting and exiting climb on walkways and paths up the gorge, with great views of vultures. A great morning's outing but start early and be aware of what it will involve!

Visited May 2014