“If YOU HAVE BOOKED THIS RESORT, RUN A MILLION MILES AWAY FROM IT” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of J Resorts Alidhoo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alidhoo Island
J Resorts Alidhoo
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alidhoo Island
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“If YOU HAVE BOOKED THIS RESORT, RUN A MILLION MILES AWAY FROM IT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here from 28th September 2013 until 5th October and left early, and as many other people, we read other feedback on trip advisor. This is an honest and true review about this resort. When we arrived at the small island before our speedboat trip to the island, we were met with white sand, clear blue sea, we thought, paradise, that was short lived, when we arrived at J Resort, after the formalities of the welcome drink we were taken to our water bungalow, when we went in we both thought, where has the paradise gone, the bungalow was not very clean, and we were told that the cleaner would be sent to clean the bungalow properly, we did not see him until the day after, the tops were all dirty, the fridge was dirty inside, the fabric on the furniture was dirty, the air conditioning unit was very dirty, the jacuzzi did not work, we had no TV, DVD, and internet for two days, as it was wired up wrong, we had no duvet for the first night, just a sheet, no hot water for four days, no electric several times, no water several times, the fridge was not stocked as advertised, no teaspoons, no tea or coffee, we had three different fridges, all of which worked until they were plugged into our water villa, then nothing, just warm everything. On the fourth night, my husband went upstairs to use the bathroom, he heard scratching noises, when he turned the light on, there were hundreds of cockroaches, all running around, all over our toothbrushes and personal stuff, I had taken some bug spray with me, so I sprayed every where, and killed quite a few, I rang reception, they sent the cleaner with some mosquito spray, he cleared up the dead cockroaches, but they are all in the woodwork it is all rotten. We were moved to another water villa on the fourth night, we had hot water, a working fridge, a duvet, what more could we ask for, we did not expect even more cockroaches all over my husbands clothes in his wardrobe. The island is full of rats, it is infested with them, and also infested with mice, wherever we walked at night time, the rats would be playing all over, running across the reception floor, no one seemed to be doing anything about the problem. The hot food was always either cold or lukewarm, and no variety, the same things over and over again. We were looking forward to using the Jacuzzi on the decking of our water bungalow, but none of 244, 245, or 246 were working, there was no pool at all until our last day. There is no proper lighting at all, and when walking over the water on the walkway to reception, or the restaurant at night it was very dangerous. There is no health and safety at all, when getting on and off the speedboat or other boats it was very difficult due to no proper steps, on two occasions I nearly fell in the water. Some of the higher management just seemed to just want to get drunk every night. We were taken on a sunset trip to the sandbank with two people we met, that had the water villa bungalow next door to us, on the trip were the MD, another manager and some young men who were to clean the sandbank up, the MD arranged for cocktails and some canopies, both the MD and the other manager were drunk, and when the other lady and myself needed to go to the toilet we were told by the MD that if we walked just a short distance away we would have privacy, luckily I had taken my torch with me, when we had walked some distance, we turned around and found that the MD had followed us, we shooed him away, and in my opinion, he had followed us to see things that he should not have seen, us being older ladies 48 and 61. After six nights we asked our tour operator to take us off the island which they did on our seventh night . In our opinion this resort should be bulldozed down to the ground as it is not fit for purpose. It is a dirty disgusting place, We are now taking up this matter with our tour operator as we do not think that anyone should be sent to this disgusting place. We read a review from two young ladies that went earlier this year, and I must say that we went with an open mind, but we now believe all they said to be true. The photo's of this resort look stunning, but they are old photo's from Cinnamon Island, not up to date true photo's, of what it is like now. We do hope that you do look up all the facts regarding this resort and will not be so disappointed as we were.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Lesley M
Jaadhulla J, General Manager at J Resorts Alidhoo, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you very much for your review on trip advisor, we appreciate your comments to rectify the issues we have from the customer point of view.
While appreciating, I would like to correct few points which had being miss lead.
• The company MD was not the person who accompanies you the Sand bank, the trip was provided due to ongoing current renovation of the island; Sand bank is owned by our company and we offer this island to our mutual clients to satisfy them during their stay with us while searching for crystal clear sand with open lagoon.
• Being the general manager of the island I accompany you personally to the sand bank as a gesture of good will, while on the trip I accompanied my Landscaping manager and some of his team having the idea to clear the left over’s from the islanders after their picnic trips.
As you know the Sand Bank is an huge collection of sand in the middle of the lagoon without any shades on the island, so it was getting dark I took a walk around to ensure where about you as we were about to off to the resort and even I mentioned to your husband that I will check where about you., I did not follow neither had any bad intention.
By ending I would like to mention that the top management of the property was instructed to ensure your satisfaction during your stay, as well to make it as their utmost priority.

Jaadhulla Jameel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This has to be one of the worst resort islands I have ever stayed on. It had an air of dereliction and neglect about it which sadly is not reflected on its website or in its charges. The staff were polite but clearly not enjoying their work particularly as there were so few guests to serve that they seemed to spend much of their time looking for something to do.

Evidence of maintenance was hard to come by and that included the position with the rooms as indicated below.

In short:

• There were issues with the villa such as light bulbs that were not working and were not replaced when reported; one shower not working because the hose was completely split; the air conditioning unit breaking down and not being repaired by over 24 hours later; the electrical circuits tripping out the supply board on a regular basis.
• Prices for food and drinks were exorbitantly high (e.g. $20 for two small draught beers).
• There is virtually no lighting of the paths which made walking after dark a dangerous occupation.
• The wifi only worked intermittently and then only in specified areas such as the bar or reception.

It has the potential to be so much better but will require considerable investment both in financial and organisational terms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank John T
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

My husband and I made the biggest mistake of our Maldives travel by choosing this hotel. The owners or the staff have no clue how to run a hotel. It seems to be a once upon a time great resort, but not any more!

We were there from April 4- April 8, 2013. The day we got there, I was immediately impressed with the kind of space that the resort owns and the large sized very spacious rooms. As we started experiencing their hospitality slow over the next 1 hour, there were plenty of disappointments.

1. When we got to the room after a very ordinary breakfast, with stale cakes and juices from the cans, we were taken to our room and lo, it had no electricity! We were told that the power/electricity will be back in 10 minutes, but roasted there without AC/ fan for 4.5 hours! It was very hot!

2. Next, the rooms are big and spacious, but things have fallen apart since over time with lack of maintenance. The blinds of the large windows are broken, the bathrooms are beautiful tropical style, with sand and stone tiles as the floor and no ceiling, so branches of the trees peep in, which is a great feeling. But then, the bathroom is infested with insects and bugs.

3. There's a lovely jacuzzi in back yard, but it seems it used to work once upon a time! It is now infested with large red ants and the water outlets are all clogged. They tried fixing it for us, but did not succeed.

4. The air conditioners in the rooms are old and rusty and hence don't cool well enough. There aren't any fans either.

5. Internet is extremely slow in the room- only one internet point with which you can connect only one computer. there's no Wifi.

6. The food is terrible- same menu of canned fruits, canned juices and canned baked beans every morning. The lunch too is pretty bad and extremely expensive. We didn't eat at the restaurant the next day, but when we went there for dinner in the evening, they asked us to sign the bill for "Lunch" since we ate lunch and left without paying!! My husband was furious! We didn't have lunch there, and they didn't even notice. It seems they have no clue what's going on- they just do their every day routine jobs.

7. There literally nothing to do at the resort- no games, no entertainment. But there is one gym. So we went there to spend some time exercising. The AC wasn't working. On complaining we were made to wait for about half hour for the technician to come and fix it, but NO ONE ever came. So we left the gym without exercising.

8. The restaurant staff were grumbling about the hotel's poor management and how they were under-payed and not allowed to go home.

9. The swimming pool is very big and beautifully located, and must have had its days of glory, but the water is not clean. We went to swim twice, for a very short time, but I developed a rash.

10 There is a lot of garden area but the gardens have either dried out or the good flower plants have been replaced by ordinary foliage and plants. Much of the garden area was lay like a wasted area.

11. There's no beach as such. There are hard, sharp rock throughout the beach line so you cannot swim but one can snorkel.

We paid $800 per night and remained dissatisfied with everything. The resort has a deserted look and only 2 small Chinese groups apart from us so it's obviously not a popular destination. I was told by one of the staff members that the Chinese groups get much more discounted prices so they come, despite the poor service and conditions.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank AtulaA
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We were here on a short holiday last month and the property is indeed beautiful, especially the water villas. We stayed for a night in the beach villa and for 2 nights in their water villa. The duplex water villas had the most amazing view and were completely out of this world.
The restaurant serves decent food but the choice for vegetarians is limited, do inform the restaurant manager in case you require any specific veg. food - in our case they did their best to serve us the same.
The diving experience here through their dive center was however not up to the mark. I have been on a diving trip in India (Andamans) as well and was expecting this one to be comparable if not any better but unfortunately the diving instructors seemed to be in a rush and we did not even get a complete hour on the diving trip. Each on of us (in a group of 6) was promised underwater pic.s but some of us did not even get a single underwater picture.
Snorkelling around the resort's main jetty was the best snorkelling experience ever! This is a not to be missed activity while in the resort.
They also offer a complimentary trip to some sand bank but that can be avoided especially in the summer.

Room Tip: A water villa anyday!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BhawnaL
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Went with a girl friend and stayed in a beach bungalow, it was my second time on this island (1st time with my husband 2 years ago) I had to go back . - it is just magical. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The beach bungalow was kept very clean, and the food was very good with a large choice at the buffet style meals We were the only Brits on the Island the rest were Chinese and about 4 other European, but don't let this put you off. We had a couple of massages at the Spa centre and we were taken snorkelling under the care of Jerry who made everything so much fun. To me there were no faults (well only one - 7 days not long enough) and now saving up to go back and stay longer in a water villa.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the side of the island of the main jetty gets the sunsets
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne M
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

To start with I'd like to say a big thank you to all the entertainment staff, scuba staff and all the other staff on the island, what a great island for getting away from it all,
accommodation, we stayed in a beach bungalow that was next to the main jetty what a great place for just lounging on the beach and watching the world go by, one day we had 4 dolphins swim past our bungalow, the bungalow it self was well equipped for all our needs and clean twice a day with new towels and bedding, the bed was turned down every night ready for when we got back from the bar, yes the electrics did go off a few times but what do you expect on a island in the middle of the Indian Ocean,
Food, the food was a buffet style with a good selection of food, there was also two chief's on every meal time to cook fresh fish, meat, noodles or pasta.

Entertainment, the team were very helpful and kept us entertained through out the stay especially the game of bingo,
Out and about, the sand bank trip, and the dolphin trip are a must, snorkelling round the island is great, take a underwater camera or you can hire one from the scuba shop,
To sum up the island is great for relaxing the staff were very helpful and could never do enough for us , I'd also like to thank Jameel the general manager for making our stay so memorable.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew M
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Do not go to J Resorts Alidhoo unless you are a guy or have a tough boyfriend. My sister and I went alone (age 21 and 19) and the male staff took advantage of this. Demanding a kiss as a tip for moving our luggage, entering our room without permission forcing us into embraces. Owner and manager acted outrageously, owner groping me in full view of other guests - who luckily at the time came to my rescue. He then however sent two men to get me and take me back to his room after i refused repeated offers of 'a moonlight walk on the beach'. Dispicable behaviour - yet he was the highest authority on the island so there was nobody to go to! reported all of this to the company we had the holiday with and they did nothing but upgrade us a class for our flight home, no compensation seeing as i still have nightmares about that man a year on.
Also there were many rats, including rats in the restaurant. The staff are impolite and unhelpful. No hot water in the bathroom, cold showers, a jacuzzi that didn't work. All in all i advise you if you want to go to the maldives - pick any other resort and i'm sure it will be better than this one!
Honest review with no exaggerations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Hanimaadhoo
The Lagoon of Vashafaru
The Lagoon of Vashafaru
#1 of 1 in Vashafaru Island

Been to J Resorts Alidhoo? Share your experiences!