“Good location”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Tobermory
Toronto, Canada
“Good location”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Grandview is located at the entrance of the little boardwalk that runs alongside Tobermory Harbour which takes you into "downtown" Tobermory in about 5-10 mins - depending on how leisurely you walk. The best feature is the awesome patio deck that overlooks the Harbour and allows you to take in a beautiful sunset while enjoying some "higher-end" type fine-dining.
Our room ( # 8) was clean and clearly newly renovated; linen was new and bath towels were OK although - as some have mentioned - a bit worn. We did not have a problem with noise but our travel pals in the neighboring room did. My biggest problem was the very tiny shower - so small that I felt claustrophobic and would not return just because of that - so that is 'personal'; my husband did not have a problem with it. No fridge, no coffee maker and no hairdryer - but plenty of soap, conditioner and shampoo in the wall mounted dispenser in the shower stall. TV and clock radio were fine as was the heater in the room. Also : free coffee and tea available round the clock in the office area. The on site restaurant was the best part of the experience but it is overpriced. 4 adults shared 3 entrées and 3 appetizers - no drinks - for $ 171. Everything was good but my crab stuffed whitefish was stuffed with artificial "surimi" crab and we also agreed that we'd had better steak ( which rang in at $ 35). No breakfast service so next morning we had breakfast at Tobermory's (premier) Princess Hotel - which had an equally impressive menu at a somewhat more reasonable price ( and rooms have balconies) ..........plus their rack rate was better by 10% - so next time we would probably prefer to stay there !

Room Tip: There seems to be a higher elevation with a walkout deck - perhaps those rooms "up there"...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kdk0

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 6 May 2013

One of the best things about the Grandview is its location—pop across the street and you can take a nice stroll on the walkway along the harbor and into “downtown” Tobermory. It’s especially striking at sunset. And, of course, the proximity to Bruce Peninsula National Park is a big plus.

My room was big enough, the bed comfortable, and noise was never an issue. A mini-fridge would’ve been nice, but the place isn’t huge and the ice machine is right in the middle of the complex, and was always full, so that wasn’t a problem. The shower was tiny, and to spin around I almost had to put my arms over my head. But the hot water was always reliable, so I’ll tolerate showering in a phone booth a few times. I’ll gladly make that trade. The Wi-fi was a little slow, but otherwise worked okay.

The dining room was smaller than I pictured—but the food was great. I had the orange ginger salmon, topped with cashews. It was outstanding. At $28 it was pricey, but you get what you pay for. I’ve had average salmon dinners for $20, I’ll gladly fork over an extra $8 if it’s worth it. And the wonderful view of the harbor and Lake Huron far beyond makes the food taste that much better.

Room Tip: I guess if you seek quiet you could ask for a room away from the restaurant, even though it's no...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Matthew M
Sarnia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was the most reasonable priced accommodation we found, and so glad we chose to search around the bay. Balcony room was very comfortable and really enjoyed being able to go out onto the raised deck to enjoy the view. The Chi-cheemaun ferry, docks right across from the Grandview. Ample parking and nice and close to rooms. Short drive to catch the ferry. Enjoyed a free coffee from the office and watched the boats coming and going from the "Tub" in the early morning. Have recommended to friends that this "IS THE PLACE TO STAY". Met a couple from Southern Ontario that came and stayed for a weeks vacation. That's another recommendation of it's own.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Tobermory for 2 days for a mini vacation. We decided to come stay at Grandview and it was a very pleasant experience. The people were very friendly and I had a great time! There was free Wifi and free coffee... which is always nice. The only thing that was that the air conditioner was broken in our. But they gave us a fan and it was more than enough to keep us cool!

toronto, ontario
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night on the 2nd floor of the motel. Check-in was a little slow. The reception area was very tiny and we had to wait quite a bit before someone came to assist us in checking in. However, service was very friendly. We were nicely surprised with the room. It was clean and updated. There was a flat screen TV and the bed linens looked crisp and fresh. The washroom was a shower unit and clean. There was an ample supply of shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap, as they were in a shower dispenser. The towels though were thin and a little rough. Like what the others said, the window blinds could be improved on. There was a big gap on the side and if you left the washroom door open, people from the outside (if they happen to pay attention and look), could see the inside of the washroom.

Location is very good as it had a very good view of the bay. It is a short walk as well to the town.

I would not hesitate to stay again and would probably request for a 2nd floor room again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Midland, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grandview August 31 for one night. I booked online and received a confirmation almost right away. I chose accommodation based on the location. The view of the ferry dock and the lake were great.
We arrived around 8:30 just as dusk was falling and were immediately greeted with a big welcome. Check in was a breeze! Very friendly front desk!
We wandered along the boardwalk into the main harbour area in search of something quick to eat and a cold drink. The walk took maybe 5 minutes and were in the heart of it all.
The best part about this motel was that it was really quiet and peaceful yet so close to the action.
The bed was super comfortable and the room was clean, but it was quite small. I don't think staying a week here would be comfortable for me, but I'm sure it would work for those who are go-go-go all day and just need a place to relax and rest.
All in all a great night in Tobermory. I would certainly return to this motel.

Room Tip: If you end up in room 1, make sure you close the blinds all the way or else the street light will bl...
muskoka
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I visited this motel mid August 2012 and enjoyed our short stay. The room was clean and nicely decorated, had everything we expected. We were very comfortable here. The towels provided in the bathroom were old and should be replaced. The best part of our stay here was the diningroom. My husband was pleasantly surprised with the wine list that it carried some of his favorite wines. The service in the restaurant as well as our meal was excellent. We had the Caprese salad to start, followed by Blackened Cajun Whitefish along with a bottle of Alsatian wine and it was so good. We had a nice table for two by the window overlooking the bay with a great view of the ferry coming into the harbour and enjoyed the sunset while we dined. Was a wonderful experience here and look forward to one day coming back. At $140 night, the room is a little pricey, but when one realizes that the summer is the only time of the year that brings tourists to Tobermory, it is understandable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
Big Tub Harbour Resort
#6 of 12 in Tobermory
The Forest House B&B
The Forest House B&B
#2 of 12 in Tobermory

Been to Grandview? Share your experiences!