“Tip for What??”

and 1 more site!
Tobermory Princess Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Tobermory
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one miserable night. Like a previous reviewer we also stayed in room 203. I agree with everything posted by KayKay about the smell of the room, the compressor on the roof and the blocked view, the two double beds and very old TV. What irked me the most about this hotel happened during the check in process. I too had to pay for the room before our stay. I was handed the POS machine to complete the credit card transaction. During the process the machine asked for a tip amount. I assumed this came up because the hotel also has a restaurant and used the same system. I said no to the tip and the gal checking us in advised me that the F3 key was to be used for the tip. I was past this point so just kept going with the transaction. She was very annoyed. I could not believe this! A tip for what??? Checking us in? This left a very bad impression on me but we continued on to our room. In our room we found an envelope from the cleaning lady again asking us to leave a tip! The nerve of these people! I do tip and am generally very generous but it entails getting good service first. I have never had this experience in any other hotel I have stayed at. Later that night I took a shower and slipped and fell in and out of the tub. I consider myself very lucky to only have bruises and not broken bones. I did not notice a shower mat proped up in the corner. Even if I had noticed prior to getting in I don't know if I would have used it as they are very distasteful, especially in a hotel. When I went down to the front desk to tell them what happened they were only interested in scolding me for not using the shower mat as according to them "everyone around here uses them". They made me feel like an idiot. On check out they did not even ask how our stay was....good thing too as I was still so mad I was apt to say something I would have regretted. Stay anywhere in Tobermory but at this hotel. Truly a horrific experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
11  Thank GradysShady

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed in room 203 for 1 night and I would never accept this room again. I'm so glad we had the next night booked at another hotel because I couldn't have stayed there for 2 nights.

The room was a suppose to be nonsmoking room but it reeked of stale cigarette smoke. The room smelled so badly that in spite of it being a warm day I though I'd open the windows. Unfortunately we couldn't leave the windows open because of the noise from the large air conditioning unit and compressor on the roof right outside of our window. These units blocked any possible view from the window except for the porch of the house next door. The room was also was suppose to have 2 queen size beds but it had only 2 double beds and a very old TV. Other that that, the room was clean with the exception of the bathroom floor that was sticky in front of the sink.
Our biggest problem was the constant noise from the door to the stairwell and the elevator right across the hall kept us awake all night. We couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

Check in process was strange as well. Had to do the paper work and visa charges for both the check in and check out processes before they would give us the key. I don't understand the reason for that - except maybe once the guests are in room 203 for a few hours they try to leave without paying the inflated prices.

I can't comment on other rooms at this hotel. The ones that had a balcony over looking the harbor might be quite nice. Just beware of room 203.

On the positive side, the restaurant make a good cup of coffee. Thank heavens for that because after a sleepless night you need a good one to get you moving.

Room Tip: Try another hotel! LOL!
2  Thank KayKayTorontoCanada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The Princess Hotel is located near the harbour, within walking distance to many stores and attractions. Staff is VERY friendly. We had a harbour view room for $165 (others were $145). A bit pricey but it is a tourist town and I think most establishments were booked full. Room was nice and clean, access to balcony very charming. TV and vcr, with a number of VHS available to watch for free. Better than nothing, I suppose. No fridge or microwave. Continental breakfast includes hot or cold cereal, toast, OJ, coffee or tea. Full breakfast available for $7.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I'm being a bit generous giving this property a 4. I think it deserves a 3.5, but of course TA doesn't allow for that, so i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...

Good location, within easy walking distance of the main drag of "downtown" Tobermory... Our room (one of the last available) was a double (not queens) with a partial view of the harbor. Unfortunately, the air conditioning units for the building were right outside our window.... Our room was a bit tight---the double beds took up a good chunk of floor space... It's worth mentioning there was not a fridge in the room, which is important to us.... Also, it had an older CRT TV... The bathroom was nice enough, tho a bit dated.... Even though the hotel was an older structure, the owners did a pretty good job of remodeling and surprisingly, it had an elevator. The hotel had a cozy feel to it, rather than being cold and sterile..... The one big exception is all the industrial grade (and looking) fire doors on all the rooms---cozy room, with a big, gray metal door....someone wasn't thinking....

Our room was about $165 CAD/nite. We thought it was unusual for them to take a $200.00 deposit on the room (it was fully refunded), but nevertheless.... Anyway, $165/nite for this room seems a bit high---at this price, they should at least put a fridge in the room.

The restaurant looked nice--we had breakfast there... Note on the "complimentary breakfast": the complimentary breakfast is very basic--either cold or hot cereal and a few other continental breakfast items... If you want anything substantial, such as eggs, waffles, pancakes etc, you're gonna have to pay... And, it is served to you in the restaurant, it's not buffet style like most other places we've stayed at....

In conclusion, i would recommend the Princess hotel... There are other higher rated places in town, but if they're all booked, the Princess is a good alternative.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbor-facing room. Better than looking at a parking lot!
2  Thank StrangeTripper
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I wanted a room at the Princess Hotel but they were full so they offered me a cottage at a rate of 179 plus taxes…

When I arrived at the cottage I was taken aback by the smoke smell! I is a cottage that needs so many repairs that I was completely dismayed.

The toilet runs all night…the shower is disgusting and the wall is rotting…Sparsely furnished and very dumpy…

Room Tip: I called to book a room at the Princess Hotel and was told they only had a cottage available at a ra...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Robin07Toronto
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Good:
Mostly friendly staff and a nice location. The hotel is a bit dated, but so is most of Tobermory.

The Bad:
We booked a wheelchair accessible room but it was not fully accessible. The door to the deck was too narrow to fit through, so no enjoying the view. The bathroom was okay but not really set up for access, so be warned if you require a sink with a cutout or a tub with a bench, etc.

The room had a strong chemical odor (cleaner perhaps) and the bathroom floor was slick with something ( my wife went skating when she walked in).

I felt that the price was high for the quality of the property.

The Ugly:
We went to the restaurant in the morning and were being seated by the window when an older lady (she seemed like a family member of the owners) came over and tried to move me and my family to the back of the restaurant where my wheelchair wouldn't be in the way of the guests. Everyone who overheard was embarrassed and I insisted on a window seat, but they really need to get some customer service training for this woman. My chair wasn't in the way at all, and I was a customer too - not just a piece of furniture.

So, kind of a mixed bag. Not the best if you're in a wheelchair, but located in a nice area.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TravellingWithWheels
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My first time into Tobermory was with my husband with plans to camp. Lots of places to stay until someone suggested we have breakfast at the Princess Hotel. During our meal my husband spoke to the desk and we were given a room later that day. Since that year my husband and I have booked with the Princess and have stayed in most of the rooms. Great people clean accomadations excellent staff and great meals with awesome prices. The views, the walks, boat trips, hiking trails, swimming,scuba diving plenty of shops and clean fresh air. What more do you need and I have nothing left to say. We are on our way to Tobermory this year and many more to come. Just try it you just might like it. I know we do. XOOX

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.Air conditioned,clean and lots of room with a balcony and a table and chairs...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple