Tobermory Princess Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Grandview(Tobermory)
US$75
US$80
US$75
Official Site
Adventure the Bruce Inn(Tobermory)(Great Value!)
US$131
Blue Bay Motel(Tobermory)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthird floorhotel restauranttub harbourroom viewgreat hotel and locationcomplimentary breakfastbeer storeduring peak seasonblue heronthe main stripwater pressurenational parkbruce trailwingsflowerpot islandelevatorche
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Last minute decision to go to Tobermory prompted a quick search on internet and we ended up booking this hotel. We stayed a couple of nights and had a good time. Upon arrival we got the option to have a look at two different rooms: 310 (bigger balcony and harbor view) and 307. We choose the 307. Smaller balcony and no harbor view but for us that was okay. Down season special: $65 per night which seemed to us a good price. Yes, the rooms are basic but clean. The beds were comfortable enough and the heater worked fine. A downside could be that it is a bit noisy (you can hear taps running but that's in most smaller hotels). We used three meals at the restaurant (one breakfast and two mains) and they were all good. Good portions, good service and decent food. Also, staff were friendly and helpful, don't recognize any of the complaints of previous reviewers. For us the location of the hotel was perfect with the start of the Bruce trail only a 5 minute walk away. We had a lovely stay at this hotel and would recommend it.
A friend who lives here in Canada explained that the tip asking thing is normal here so we go with the flow although sometimes we feel the 'standard' 15% is a bit much.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank YvonPenang
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We needed to shoot a catalogue campaign in Tobermory. I had never been there before and didn't know what to expect but both my stays at the Tobermory Princess Hotel were fabulous.
My collegues and I stayed there 3 nights while we scouted the area in early March then came back with a crew of 10 two weeks later for an additional 3 days and nights. Tessie (general manager) and her staff went over and above to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The rooms were warm and inviting (with brand new flat screen tv's) and our meals were delicious. Everyone in my group was thrilled with the Princess Hotel but mostly were overwhelmed by how welcome they made us feel and that warmth was felt by everyone we encountered in town as well. We will definitely be back.
best, Roseanna

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2012

It was an ok room, make sure you get a harbour view room!
It was outdated and over priced, but that's what you get in a small tourist town.
The location is perfect though for walking around the town.
The restaurant service was good and the food was decent.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room, pay the extra $20
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deinarson
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one miserable night. Like a previous reviewer we also stayed in room 203. I agree with everything posted by KayKay about the smell of the room, the compressor on the roof and the blocked view, the two double beds and very old TV. What irked me the most about this hotel happened during the check in process. I too had to pay for the room before our stay. I was handed the POS machine to complete the credit card transaction. During the process the machine asked for a tip amount. I assumed this came up because the hotel also has a restaurant and used the same system. I said no to the tip and the gal checking us in advised me that the F3 key was to be used for the tip. I was past this point so just kept going with the transaction. She was very annoyed. I could not believe this! A tip for what??? Checking us in? This left a very bad impression on me but we continued on to our room. In our room we found an envelope from the cleaning lady again asking us to leave a tip! The nerve of these people! I do tip and am generally very generous but it entails getting good service first. I have never had this experience in any other hotel I have stayed at. Later that night I took a shower and slipped and fell in and out of the tub. I consider myself very lucky to only have bruises and not broken bones. I did not notice a shower mat proped up in the corner. Even if I had noticed prior to getting in I don't know if I would have used it as they are very distasteful, especially in a hotel. When I went down to the front desk to tell them what happened they were only interested in scolding me for not using the shower mat as according to them "everyone around here uses them". They made me feel like an idiot. On check out they did not even ask how our stay was....good thing too as I was still so mad I was apt to say something I would have regretted. Stay anywhere in Tobermory but at this hotel. Truly a horrific experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
11  Thank GradysShady
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed in room 203 for 1 night and I would never accept this room again. I'm so glad we had the next night booked at another hotel because I couldn't have stayed there for 2 nights.

The room was a suppose to be nonsmoking room but it reeked of stale cigarette smoke. The room smelled so badly that in spite of it being a warm day I though I'd open the windows. Unfortunately we couldn't leave the windows open because of the noise from the large air conditioning unit and compressor on the roof right outside of our window. These units blocked any possible view from the window except for the porch of the house next door. The room was also was suppose to have 2 queen size beds but it had only 2 double beds and a very old TV. Other that that, the room was clean with the exception of the bathroom floor that was sticky in front of the sink.
Our biggest problem was the constant noise from the door to the stairwell and the elevator right across the hall kept us awake all night. We couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

Check in process was strange as well. Had to do the paper work and visa charges for both the check in and check out processes before they would give us the key. I don't understand the reason for that - except maybe once the guests are in room 203 for a few hours they try to leave without paying the inflated prices.

I can't comment on other rooms at this hotel. The ones that had a balcony over looking the harbor might be quite nice. Just beware of room 203.

On the positive side, the restaurant make a good cup of coffee. Thank heavens for that because after a sleepless night you need a good one to get you moving.

Room Tip: Try another hotel! LOL!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family