“Very relaxing for couples”
Review of Melia Buenavista

and 1 more site!
Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 20 March 2011

First of all, you have to keep in mind that this is Cuba and they have difficulty getting all the goods that we take for granted. I would like to point out that this resort is still in the breaking in phase and the vegetation is not yet fully grown. The gardeners worrk wery hard and trying to make the plants grow and they take pride in their work, especially Armando, who greets with his big smile everytime he sees you. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable and are very well kept up by the maids. Our majordome, Edel is great and goes beyond to make you happy; one afternoon we were coming back from the spa after massages and he had been in our room and fiilled the bathtub including bubble bath, rose petals floating and candles lit. If you need room service he will bring whatever you need, including sparkling wine. This man is lovely and very attenttionate to your every need. The bartenders, Orestes, Norge, Yamisela, Liorvis are the ones with whom we had a lot of fun, they speak english quite well and even teach you a liittle spanish. Orestes even runs on the beach to get you drinks. Diego the bell boy speaks spanish, english and french and we asked him to arrange a cab for us for one day and he called one of his friends cabi(Orelvis) who took us to Remedios where we spend part of the day including a quick lunch at one of the local restaurants. We hired Orelvis for 5 hours for 80 CUC that we split with another couple that we had met on site, which is quite cheap if you consider the tour of Remedios/Santa Clara is 70 CUC per person.

My wife was disappointed in the food, quality and variety. There was not a lot of fruits and vegetables and quite greasy. I found the food ok, keep in mind you are in Cuba.

The atmosphere is very relaxed; there is no loud music at any time nor is there anybody trying to get you into aerobics, this was great for, us we really did not want any of that.

There are 3 beaches, one is not yet finished. The middle one is like a cove and absolutely great for snorkling, a saw a 3 foot barracuda!!!But therre are sand fleas and my wife was devoured by them but it did not affect me at all. The sunsets are fabulous. There enough chairs and cushions for everyone.

You are aloud access to the other Melias and buses run on a regular basis and it is a 10 minutes ride. Believe me you are glad to be back at the Buenavista after a meal at the others, although the food was good but they are such big resorts.

We had a minor problem and the director himself (Omar) fixed it rapidly and to our full satisfaction.

All in all, a good resort for peace and quiet, if you want to party this is not a place for you.

5  Thank chucky0
Omarduenas, General Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear guest of Melia Buenavista,

Thanks for your review, we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2011

My wife and I traveled with another couple to escape the long Canadian winter!
We have travelled to other caribbean islands but this was our first time to Cuba.

We liked the isolated location and quiet relaxing atmosphere - and especially after we visited the other hotels - this one was the right choice for us although it is a nice bonus that you can visit the other Melia hotels so easily using the shuttle service.

The beaches are good and the two pools are lovely. The pool bar staff, Orestes and Norge, are something special. They are very efficient and soon get to know your favourite drink but also have some great special drinks you should try too! They smile all the time and their happiness is infectious!

The two restaurants beside the piano bar were our favourites but menus didn't change that much. Our thoughts were that the breakfast restaurant could have been so much better - bacon was always overcooked and the service at breakfast was inconsistent - perhaps management should organize staff more efficiently as there was lots of staff around but they didn't seem organized to look after particular tables. Cappuccinos sitting outside the at the piano bar in the morning before going for breakfast was a nice start to the day.

The rooms are great and we really enjoyed the outdoor shower. Overall the resort is very nice, the staff are friendly and helpful, the butler service made us feel very special and we did enjoy our stay at the Buenavista.

4  Thank Helen0505

Dear friend of Melia Buenavista.

Thanks for your wonderful review, we hope to see you soon in Cayo Santa MAría.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

On arrival to MB my husband and I were very disappointed with the location of the hotel and the fact that it appeared rather deserted. Also, we had not been prepared for the lack of vegetation surrounding the hotel. We enjoy RR however our initial impression was that we were stranded in some godforsaken place. We were reassured by staff that we had access to the other Melia hotels and that transportation would be provided by buses that ran on schedule.Interestingly, it was in visiting the other Melia hotels that we came to fully appreciate everything that is different at the MB. Firstly, the staff, from the chambermaids to service staff treated us like royalty. The main eating area located close to the beach felt like we were eating ina resaturant and not a cafeteria. There was good variety with the food served buffet style as well as availiblity in al la carte menu. Wonderful breads,cheeses,dates, meats and the wines served were definitely a higher caliber than we've had at other resorts in Cuba. Although I wouldn't describe the food served in the restaurants as five star the service is ten star!!!!The restaurants are beautifully decorated and they use beautiful table settings. One of the gala evenings we attended was Cuban Night at the MB and it was memorable .The food was delicious,the service immpecable and the entertainment divine!. I regret not taking note of everyone's name so that I may thank them again in this letter. Every single staff person at this hotel is excellent and in spite of working incredibly long hours, they are always extremely professional.On a personal note I just want to remind tourists that tipping is not included in the vacation package. In the same way we tip our wait staff in our restaurants the same should be done when we travel, even when it is All Inclusive. All this to say we would return to MB ina heartbeat and that we truly enjoyed our stay. It offers the best of both worlds: The Melia Buenavists for total rest and relaxation and the Melia Las Dunas for dancing under the stars and general entertainment.The only suggestion I would like to make is that the MB provide private transportation to other Melia hotels because the bus transportation was not dependable and it was frustrating to lose precious vacation time waiting for buses to arrive each way. Also note that taxi was never available.

4  Thank pleasantlyconverted

I want to thank you for taking the time and posting the experience you had with us in Cayo Santa María.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

MB seems to be marketing itself as a romantic couples resort so I booked this with trepidation. It is a romantic place certainly, but I truly enjoyed my solo stay there and hope to return soon. With the best location on CSM, allowing a choice of several beach areas with a coral reef just off shore, it can’t be beat. This is the only spot on the cayo where the sun can be observed setting into the ocean, which I could watch from my beachfront deck.

Room service was great for breakfast when I just wanted to stay in my beautiful suite at the beach and listen to the ocean and the birds singing. The restaurants are elegant yet comfortable and guests can get as dressed up as they wish, or go dining in casual attire. There is always live music and great ambiance, and the best food I’ve experienced in Cuba.

My butlers Edel and Javier seem to be psychic. When I returned from my spa experience (included) I found my Jacuzzi tub filled with bubble bath topped with flower petals. Candlelight glowed around the tub, and champagne sat in an ice bucket with chilled flute glasses. I prefer showers but this was definitely the exception.

I’ve been spoiled rotten by the staff. They take care of requests with a sincere desire to fulfill your needs.

Javier at Los Navigantes gave me a terrific dining experience on my last night, providing the best table which also had been dressed with flower petals and candlelight – and such professional service as well.

I so enjoyed the dual menu at Los Caribes. One night it’s International, another it’s Italian so it serves as two restaurants in this way.

Buenavista is the perfect size – large enough to have all the right amenities and small enough to have an intimate boutique feel. An evening trip to Las Dunas to try their famed Romantico restaurant just made me miss Buenavista, even though the brief encounter with the action there was fun. In fact, a number of times after dining at MB I hopped on the new shuttle bus to see the talented dancers at Melia CSM, so you really can have the best of both worlds.

I took time out from snorkeling for an afternoon trip to the new Pueblo – a small Disney-like village of shops and restaurants. It has quite a spa there but as a guest at MB – who needs it? I wonder if this place is finished since I found nothing to buy until I got to the artisan market, and could not be bothered to wait for the “free” food and drink that the 5 CUC cover charge includes.

I love remote and unspoiled places but the downside is the biting insect population which seems even more prolific than on Contadora in the Pearl Islands off Panama, or on Roatan in Honduras. Can you guys arrange for some kind of fogging or something next time I’m there? Thanks.

Gracias Omar, and Edel, and Javier, and Arturo, and of course Javier at Los Navigantes who provided such a beautiful setting for my last evening there, and to the lovely ladies who clean up the rooms. You could all teach a thing or two about fine service provided with a smile to others in the resort industry.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
10  Thank Sirena100

Dear guest of Melia Buenavista:

Onbehalf of my staff, I want to thank you for your review, we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

Let me preface this review by stating I have stayed with my girlfriend at Melia Las Dunas (late March 2009) and Royal Hideaway Ensanchos (early April 2010). We visited Buenavista from March 6th-13th. I am in my early 40's and she - early to mid 30's and are from Montreal. We were some of the younger people at the resort but there were many couples in and around our age group.

We travel to relax, read a book, snorkel and spend time on the beach. We prefer calm seas and rarely spend time by the pool at these type of resorts for two reasons. 1) We don't have a beach where we live, so we take advantage 2) the pool scene is often too loud,too crowded with too many who have enjoyed too many libations.

We prefer peace & quiet and consider ourselves "foodies" as we both enjoy cooking and as there is no shortage of quality restaurants in Montreal. We don't crave nightly entertainment but welcome it and we do enjoy latin music as we can dance salsa, meringue, bachata etc...

REVIEW

- The Hotel is small (105 rooms) and peaceful as everyone else has stated (we liked). As an example Las Dunas was at full capacity (2000 people) because of spring break week. In other words a calm retreat versus a zoo of humanity. There are no children at this resort. Royal Hideaway is larger yet still quite peaceful but not as much as Melia BV.

Everything is on a smaller scale; buildings, lobby, restaurants, breakfast /lunch buffet, walks throughout the resort etc...excluding the rooms and swimming pools which are ideal in size.

The buildings are more architecturally appealing than many southern resorts (square, large windows that marry well into the grounds which will green up with every passing month and should be quite lush within a couple of years. The desert like landscape was not un-appealing at all as others have also mentioned.

SERVICE

Very Good. We arrived at 1am, and upon arriving at our room we then called the front desk for assistance which arrived within a few minutes. Same when we asked for someone to pick up our bags when checking-out.

Whether at the beach or pool (yes we went to the pool) there was always someone coming by to ask if you would like a drink. Never a line-up at a bar or buffet in order to get a drink or table. Wait staff was quite efficient and very personable. At Las Dunas and Royal Hideaway this is not always the case based on our past experience. I will say having visited Las Dunas on this trip they have made improvements.

Thank you Javier (our concierge) who was very professional, went out of his way to help and was a pleasure to speak with.

BEACHES

We discovered the beaches of Melia BV 2 years ago while at Las Dunas. At that time we took a long walk and discovered them

There are three: 1) Main Beach 2) Small or Cove Beach 3) Secluded or Mangrove or Sunset Beach

MAIN BEACH

- directly on the Atlantic Ocean
- Water colour is deep aqua blue. Stunning! We knew this from our stay while at Las Dunas.
- There is small bar at the foot of the beach at the end of the boardwalk
-There are usually enough chairs and the staff will get you one along with cushions
- There are not enough "palabas" (umbrellas). There are few actually and there are wooden ones with only the frame of the roof (no grass roof for shade). Many people draped room towels throughout the frame to provide shade.
- There is an island about 300m off shore along and a rocky cove to the left of the beach. There, the island and in between the two will offer plenty of snorkeling. For those who are less adventurous, barely swimming off shore will provide a view of some fish.
- Water conditions. Each day may bring something different. Two years ago at Las Dunas (same sea) the water was like a swimming pool. Not this year. Only 1 day was it calm with 1 day not only not "swimmable" but wildly dangerous...storm came in.
- Sand for walking is difficult as it is quite soft. The walk along the beach to other hotels & Las Dunas vary from 20-30 minutes...all of which is a little taxing if you're not in shape.
Once you arrive near Las Dunas (a little before), the sand is firm and amazing for walking. If you continued for another 20-30 minutes beyond Las Dunas around 4pm or so, there are some sand bars out at sea in which to walk on. Nothing like Royal Hideaway however!!

SMALL/COVE BEACH

- A small little rocky cove offering calmer water conditions
- No problem getting a chair
- There are also a couple of wider seating areas that are covered. I just place our towels on them around 8:30am. Again no umbrellas
- A peaceful place to read a book
- Very close to main pool with staff present to bring you drinks
- A nice little place to snorkel as the center rock has a few interesting fish all around it. Only go at high tide as there are many rocks and urchins. Many of saw a barracuda on the left side of the rock (just a little behind as you head out towards the sea)

SECLUDED/ MANGROVE/ SUNSET BEACH

- The least used beach/ extremely private the further from the resort you walk
- If the water conditions of main beach are rough or very rough, this is not the case here as it is a bay
- The water is light emerald green and very shallow with rocky and seaweed strewn areas starting about 20-40 feet off-shore . In some areas, even during low tide you will walk in shallow water amongst the mangroves in order to walk the full length of the beach. It is worth it however. work your way around the beach and you'll see the beaches of Royal Hideaway in the distance and discover all kinds of aquatic life.
- Snorkeling here is amazing but you must wait for high tide and be very careful as there are many urchins and big ones!!! We saw amazing sting rays, sea worms, variety of colourful fish, conchs, starfish etc...
- If you want pure privacy, this is the beach. Of course there is no service available out there so bring your provisions.

BEACH OVERVIEW

* If you like snorkeling with blissful peace, Melia BV is for you with Royal Hideaway a close second
* If you like pure white sand for long walks, running on the beach always calm crystal clear waters that are ideal for swimming, some snorkeling and peace & quiet, then go to Royal Hideaway
* If you like long walks on firm sand,running on the beach, beautiful blue seas, wavy-to calm conditions and tons of beach activity with lots of people, then Melia Las Dunas is your place.

2 POOLS

- Quiet
- plenty of seating
- One is more open with the other having an island with chair in the middle
- I loved the open pool as I could swim laps (about 25m) on a straight line without getting in anyone's way. The pool areas were that quiet. A great place to end the day after the beach.

FOOD & RESTAURANTS

Keep in mind this is my fourth and my girlfriend's fifth time to Cuba. We don't expect anywhere near the quality we receive at home and actually know what to expect.

BREAKFAST

Some people complained as some have here on tripadvisor. I and my girlfriend don't get it. What the heck do people eat for breakfast at home? The buffet was small but with only 200 guests of course its small. It had fresh & dried fruit, cereals, meats, cheeses, yogourt etc...

When you arrived at your table, the staff would bring you juice, coffee (cappucino if you ask) and a bread basket filled with croissants, a couple of types of coffee cake, rolls and a type of doughnut. We're from Montreal and we know what a REAL croissant should taste like as there enough REAL french patisseries here. The croissants were a little heavier (excess butter) but very good nonetheless.

If that's not enough, they always bring you a menu so you can order from their various breakfast selections...french toast, crepes, Mexican breakfast (very good), Spanish breakfast (not so good) or eggs in any style you wish.

LUNCH

- Similar to breakfast with lunch fare. You can't go wrong with the hamburgers, grilled shrimp and grilled fish from the menu

SUPPER

This is where things get dicey, very dicey indeed!!

There are 2 a la carte restaurants (maybe 3 if the breakfast/lunch buffet is also open at night). I don't know because the food at night was so forgettable.

The one restaurant we returned to was Las Navigantes. The first night I had a filet mignon, my girlfriend had a lobster tail (served outside of shell and actually half a lobster tail). This was our best meal as the quality of the food went progressively downhill, even at Las Navigantes although it remained passable.

The other restaurant was not good. So much so, I can't remember the name as I said. Sometimes in Cuba, a meal can be salvaged with a good piece of pie. They know how to make a good pie in Cuba. The lemon pie (which is usually a type of torte) was actually a small tasteless cookie spread with lemon flavoured frosting.

Even worse, our third night was the supposed "Gala Dinner" at the buffet restaurant.The was pretty much the same as the bad meal I had the night before accompanied by elements of the lunch buffet. The starter was a piece of tasteless gravlax style salmon with cheese on a piece of semi stale sourdough bread. Wow the exact same thing I could have picked from the lunch buffet but would not. Who eats raw salmon with cheese?!! We got up and left not finishing the meal, spoke to the manager and went to Las Navigantes.

We ate twice ate Las Dunas (Romantico) because we knew it would be better and it was.

ENTERTAINMENT

In the piano bar nightly, eveyrthing from a pianist to a all female sextet. Live latin mucic at dinner. All nice touches and appreciated. If you want a disco and party, go to Las Dunas. We also enjoy tthe authentic Cuban Band that plays at Las Dunas nightly at 7:30pm. The crowd gets into it and we love to dance salsa. There is also a nightly show there around 9pm ish.

AMENITIES

SPA & WATER THERAPY

We didn't do it so no opinion.

GYM

A couple of treadmills, ellipticals, some free weights and bowflex type of machine.

OVERALL & THE LITTLE THINGS

The question to ask here is did the resort live up to our expectations?

I would say no but if the MELIA MANAGEMENT could just recognize what it takes to turn the ordinary into the EXTRAORDINARY, then Melia Buena Vista would get my vote over Royal Hideaway Ensanchos (5-star also) as the best hotel I've visited on Cayo Santa Maria...but it is boring in the evening.

Food was sub-par for dinner and inconsistent at best. Yes it is a new resort, but Royal Hideaway never had these issues as we know people who went the first 2 years of it's operation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are going to offer a "Gala" then do something a little special. Throw some real lobster on the BBQ etc...

Offer shade for everyone at the resort. There is only 1/10 of the people here compared to the bigger hotels so it is feasible. If not on the beach, offer some sort of portable, folding one in each room. Is there anything more annoying than getting to the beach or pool early and all the shaded areas are taken. This detail IMO although small and perhaps a pet peeve of mine, is one little thing that would make a big difference in how the facility is perceived.

Put up a frosted glass door(s) for the outside showers. People complained of a lack of privacy. I could care less but the way our room was oriented, anyone from the second floor of the adjacent building had an unobstructed view.
Additionally I realized there were male staff hanging outside of our room for quite a period of time while my girlfriend was in the bathtub. Not kosher.

I suspect when all the foliage grows in, this problem won't exist but right now it is an issue.

How about candles at dinner? Flowers or incense in the public areas? That is what they had at Las Dunas...a supposed 4 star.

I know these are small things but it is about perception. This hotel is well positioned in many ways to be the top of its class in the area. Thinking about it, I would not return but would and would pay more if improvements were made in the areas I mentioned.

I hope this review offers some insight into making your vacation choice. My apologies for any grammatical or spelling areas. I didn't edit.

On an additional note, I'm of the opinion if you want to guarantee warm weather and calmer seas, late March or afterward is probably the ideal time to visit.

9  Thank Dacedsim
Melia B, Director General at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2014

Dear guest;

Thank you very much for all your comments, as always we are taking all the feedback in a very positive way and we are using as a tool to improve our resort and the service that we offer.

I would like you to consider to comeback in the future and check the improvements done based in your comments.

Best regards;

The direction

Reviewed 13 March 2011

This was our first trip to Cuba - we are a 40's couple looking for romance and relaxation. This hotel certainly delivers both.

The small size and adults only environment creates an intimate atomosphere supported by personal attention from the staff. The 2 pools were very relaxing with the main one a little more lively having a pool bar and music. Rooms are well appointed and spacious with comfortable beds and flat panel TV with international programs available (CNN, etc.). The cleaning staff did a great job of maintaining the room with a creative flair! We quite liked the much described outdoor shower however ours was without hot water and was not fixed despite 3 requests to the front desk and butler.

The beaches are nicely isolated from adjacent resorts and provided a feeling of privacy. We definitely could have used more shade options as our weather was hot and sunny every day! There are coral reefs located on both beach areas which allowed for excellent snorkelling. We did see a few jellyfish (small) but did not seem to affect anyone's desire to snorkel.

The hotel facility itself is beautiful and well laid out. The Spa appeared very nice although we did not partake in any treatments. The workout facility was nice and making towels and drinking water more readily available would improve. The one tennis court (just opened) was fine but the racquets and balls supplied although new could be of better quality (in hindsight, we would have taken our own equipment). The grounds are immature at this point and will take a few years to fully mature. The groundskeeper was very friendly and greeted everyone with a warm Ola and smile each morning.

Our food experience was generally quite positive and exceeded our expectations relative to what we had heard about Cuban cuisine. Bearing in mind that this is a 5 star resort, however, we felt there was room for improvement. On the positive side, the breads, cheeses, deserts, coffee, alcoholic drinks, juices, pasta, and bananas were outstanding. There were plenty of choices for spices and hot sauces to add flavor to meals as desired. In addition, the preparation and layout of the meal experiences were well done and it was obvious there was a lot of effort put into the ambiance.

Meats were inconsistent including being overdone and tough texture. Hot buffet foods were generally 'not' hot. Soup tasted like canned varieties similar to vegetables that were also overcooked (tasteless) at times. We longed for apples which were not provided. There were some excellent meals at the a la carte restaurants (Mahi Mahi, Pork Tenderloin) and the Gala night meal was very good.

Overall, our experience was very good but fine tuning required in food service, more shade on the beach, and overall service consistency. We found (and had similar feedback from other guests) that excellent service seemed at times dependent on tipping in advance.

If you want a quiet, romantic, relaxing vacation with the option go to other resorts and excursions, we definitely recommend the Melia Buenavista.

R&G

Dear guest of Melia Buenavista:

Thanks for your review. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

my husband and i just returned home from a five day honeymoon at the melia buenavista in cayo santa maria cuba and i must say it was the best time ive ever had the employees were super nice there was always an activity going on. the bartenders were superb (just to name a orestes) know how to make a good mojitos the food was great they were all the same basically but there was so much variety it didnt really matter much, it was kind of hard to keep your drink cold due to the heat but that doesnt really matter a whole lot either just drink fast it only makes for a better time ! but all in all i give this hotel 10 out of 10 hands down.

• Stayed: January 2011
Omarduenas, General Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Dear guest of Melia Buenavista,

Onbehalf of the staff of Melia Buenavista, I watn to thank you for have chosing our hotel on your last vacations. Thanks as well for posting your experience at the Trip Advisor. I hope to see you again in beautiful Cayo Santa María.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 64 in Varadero
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!