“Excellent”

Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We just returned Feb 23/12 from MBV. This is the place for you if you are looking to be pampered, snorkel (just watch out for the jelly fish) looking for piece and quiet to relax and enjoy the weather. This is not the place for you if you feel the need to bring your own "getto blaster" and interfere with the enjoyment of those around you, I would suggest then you look to going to one of the other resorts in the area if you need more action. The Melia Las Dunas and Melia Santa Clara were completely different resorts than the MBV-the great thing of staying at the MBV is that it gives you the opportunity to go to the other two resorts if you feel the need to change things up.
We did go to the Melia Santa Clara (3 minute bus ride) and I have to agree with one of the other reviews about the French restaurant at the Melia Santa Clara-not impressed. We tried the Japanese restaurant there and enjoyed that. We were told by a couple staying there not to bother with the Mediterranean restaurant there. Their buffet restaurant was just one big cafeteria and noisy -not our style. A couple staying at the MBV went to a restaurant at Las Dunas-think it was the Romantiq?? and said it was excellent-might be worth a try.

For the MBV, the previous reviews are accurate with respect to the staff, they are ALL extremely pleasant and helpful. Everyone was friendly, from the gardeners, the butlers,bar servers, reception, just everyone!! All the musicians were very talented. My most favorite were the piano player who played Wednesday nite Feb 22 in the 24 hour bar and the Sunset Sax player. Don't miss going to see the sunset-where they serve champagne and orange juice and there's a sax player who has lots of personality-very romantic! We had a great room- 0612 right on Sunset Beach-main floor-shower was private. If you have trouble walking make sure you ask for a main floor room as it is a bit of a trek up the stairs. While we were there, they were just starting to fill in the slats of the showers to make them more private-we brought dollar store shower curtains and clips just in case. It is quite the experience having a shower under the stars!
With respect to the food-I would say it's very good-not quite excellent-they tried-the serving staff was excellent! I don't base my trips around the food-as long as it's reasonably good that's all that matters to moi.
Just a tip-if you want clean towels make sure you put yours on the floor-the towels were of very good quality
Thank you to our butlers Lucas & Edel who always followed up on any request we had. Loved our baths!
Thank you to the bar servers at the pool as well as those at the 24 hour bar-who made sure we never went dry!
Thank you to the gardeners who every morning had a flower and a smile for you.
Thank you MBV for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank APC2012
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

All our team will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the Sunset Experience during your stay; it is a great place to unwind.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista soon, for a romantic getaway.

Ernesto Osuna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Melia Buenavista Royal Service resort is THE BEST!!!!!!!! If you have any doubt in your mind in choosing this resort.......let me assure you that this will be an experience of a LIFETIME!!!!!!!!! My husband and I have been to Cuba 5 times and this resort left us in AWE!!! We were two of 300 people on our flight from Toronto that were dropped off at the Melia Buenavista and had no clue what was in store for us! We have never been to a resort or anywhere for that matter where check in was actually an experience! We were told to leave our bags and were immediately greeted by the hotel staff who welcomed us with a glass of champagne and a cold towel to freshen up!!! We were then escorted to the front desk where the woman checking us in introduced us to our 2 butlers for the week!!!! BUTLERS!!!!!!! We felt like celebrities!!!!!!! Our room was spectacular. It was contemporary in design with a flat screen t.v, "true" jacuzzi tub, walk in closet, outdoor shower and extremely clean and spacious!!!! Aylin and Joel (our butlers) alternated days and it was seamless! We can not say enough about them! Each morning they called our room to make our dinner reservation (none of this waiting in line for 2 hours at 7am....only to find out its full) and asked if there was anything we needed for the upcoming day. From candle lit dinners in our room with a live Cuban trio serenading us to romantic rose pedal bubble baths with a bottle of champagne Aylin and Joel went above and beyond anything we could have expected!!! They truly touched our hearts! This resort (again i feel like I'm repeating myself) is not your typical resort with hundreds of people and a war for a lounger. We are late risers and after enjoying room service breakfast in bed (thank you Osmany) we made our way to the pool around 11am to find our favorite spot waiting for us. It was at the pool where we met the GREATEST bar tenders in the world!!!!!! Oreste, Norge, Noe and Rafael!!!!! These guys truly became like brothers to my husband!! They treated us like family and even before our drinks were finished or were warm from the sun........fresh refills were brought without even asking! Their infectious smiles, thumbs up as they walk by and happy nature made them a joy to be around. It was definitely HARD saying bye to them!!!! Oreste and Norge..........Remo says thank you so much for helping him with his foot!!!!!!!!!! The pool itself is fantastic. Clean, quiet and well kept. Also the floaty's are a great touch for tanning and relaxing in the pool. The weather was amazing......sunny and hot with a light breeze!!!!! We never wanted to leave. Another bonus to staying at the Buenavista is not only does it have three restaurants of its own, you also have access to the other Melia resort restaurants which are 2 minutes down the road!! They have a free shuttle bus every hour to take you there and back. As far as night life goes...this resort is not a "party" atmosphere. This is an adults only resort (just the way we like it) so it's more quiet at night! However there is a lobby bar open 24hrs where you can enjoy drinks and live music. The one thing my husband recommends when at the lobby bar, is to go see his dear friend Javier and ask him for his special Cuban coffee!!!!! Javier is an amazing man with whom we spent all of our nights talking to about family and life. Javier........sorry we didn't get to say bye before we left but we look forward to seeing you soon!! We should also mention that it was great to see the hotel manager Ernesto interacting with guests and getting feedback on how to make an already amazing resort even better!!! We could go on and on about this resort and it's FIRST CLASS service but bottom line is you truly need to go to the Melia Buenavista to experience it for yourself!!!!!!!! We just got back and are already planning our return!!!!! A special thanks to Campanita and Rick our "pharmacists" and Angelo and Mary for their great company!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU MELIA BUENAVISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remo and Stacey

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank StaceyDannibale
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for writing on Trip Advisor.

Comments like yours are definitively nice to read.

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I am glad that our staff make you feel so happy. I really appreciate your review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense as a celebrity.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

Warm regards,

Hotel Manager
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at Melia Buenavista the week of February 05/12. This resort is as good as the reviews claim it is! The overall atmosphere is one of congeniality, calm, and genuine service.
I say genuine service because the staff is genuinely interested in making your experience at MBV the most comfortable , memorable and restful it can possibly be. Staff was friendly, serviable and humble ( not expecting tips but certainly deserving of them). We were treated like friends and therein lies the success of this resort. Just as the friendliness of the staff permeated the overall atmosphere of MBV it was easy to meet and make friends with other guests in this resort. No doubt the size of this resort played a part in this also.
Kudos to the Manager Ernesto Osuna for his undivided attention to his guests and to the smooth , efficient functioning of MBV. He truly is a gracious host. Thank you Mr. Osuna for going beyond the call of duty to drive my husband to the International Clinic to get medicine to treat his cold and sore throat, as well as introducing us to the Noni fruit . We are in the process of trying to find some Noni products where we live.
We want to thank Aylin and Joel for their good care of us during our stay. Your little surprises delighted us and made our trip memorable.We look forward to seeing you again when we return for another holiday.
A big hello to Orestes the gardener whose smile and warmth greeted us every morning and who worked tirelessly on the little island at the second pool. Thank you also to Ivan , and Anniel his coworkers
Thank you to Maria and Osniel ( not sure this is spelled right) who made sure we got our tea lattes at every meal.
We are grateful to our chambermaids Idyleighdy and Yanet for keeping our suite clean and inviting.
A note of recommendation the Spa offers and delivers wonderful services . I thoroughly enjoyed my stone massage, pedicure , reflexology and hair cut .What a great way to end a fantastic vacation.
In short the week spent at Melia Buenavista was exceptional and we will be back ,
Roberta and Dan

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2111. Wonderful view in front of pool number two. Ground floor, very close to all...
1 Thank Roberta R
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff and our food.

Thank you also for your kind words about my work. It is always a great satisfaction to know that my work is making a difference.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I booked a trip to go to Melia Buenavista in Nov 2011.
I Did a lot of research and even took the time to visit this resort for a tour when on vacation at Los Dunas in Dec ( Los Dunas was great), at this visit I reconfirmed my reservation that I had booked in November for Melia Buenavista
It looked like a fabulous spot in paradise. My companion and I were very excited. After visiting 2 other Melia Royal Service resorts I felt confident that it would be just as fabulous or even better!!!
Much to our dismay ...the evening before our vacation I received a phone call from the travel agency apologizing that they had to cancel our accomodation due to an overbooking and computer problem at the resort. We were very disappointed!!!!! Along with 3 other couples....they ended up at Iberostar also.
I
The other resort was not what we had hoped for The Iberostar Encenoches is a beautiful property lovely gardens and the beach is paradise....The villa was beautiful....management change over and a lot of problems in the service department...they are not sure what they are doing. I would not have chosen this resort at this time due to the size and management confusion.

Not what we had planned. very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Clair_11
Melia B, Director General at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Dear Friend;

Thank you for all your comments, we are using all of them to improve our product, we are sad to know that we didn’t meet your expectations, but I am sure that after use your feedback we will improve.

We hope you will come back to check all the improvements and enjoy a great holidays in our beautiful Resort.

Best regards;

Management
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Well everything about this great resort has been said. It's such a wonderful and beautiful place. the service is awesome, especially the pool bar guys, Noe, Norge and Orestes aka mario...we miss you guys already. Thank you for keeping our drinks full

Ernesto and Edel you did a great job taking care of us all week from arranging dinner in our room, making sure our reservations were done and leaving us little surprises.

I love that at sunset there was musicians and champagne on the beach, what a way to end a day. All of the musicians at this resort are wonderful.

I do have to give a special thanks to one of the greatest servers I have ever had on vacation, Nadiuska. You were amazing and kept us smiling and laughing the entire time.

Ernesto the Resort Manager you sure have a great team working for you. Keep up the great service. MBV thank you for a great vacation.
We sure will return to this resort, it's a great place to just kick back and relax and enjoy the peace and quite. Keep an eye out for the 2 resident dogs. They are really sweet and bring a sense of home to those of us who miss our dogs back at home.

Room Tip: our room was building 5 right by sunset beach top floor good view of sunset
4 Thank sunshine7
Dear Valued Guest,

I wish to thank you for the compliments that you kindly made on this Web site to my staff and to my self. I know I am very proud of my team.

I am very pleased to read that you had a relaxing vacation at Melia Buenavista and that you took the time to enjoy our sunset experience.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you are thinking to come back in the near future for a bit more pampering. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Thanks to all of the reviewers before me for all your insight and tips; we had an amazing time at Melia Buenavista. It started the minute we got off the bus (a warm greeting, a cold towel and a glass of champagne) and it didn't stop until we got back on the bus to go home.
My husband and I were there from February 6th to the 14th. This was our first trip to Cuba and the resort. We were blown away by the location and the amazing staff (to whom I apologize if I misspell your names).
The room:
Beautiful, comfortable and amazing views. We were on the upper level overlooking the ocean. The outdoor shower was a huge treat and an awesome touch. Tamai did an amazing job each day on our room. The bar fridge was constantly filled with whatever we wanted.
The food:
I have to admit we were worried about the food, we shouldn't have been. The food at the resort was fantastic. Don't miss Italian night or the cappuccinos. The breakfast buffet is also not to be missed. We ordered room service a couple of nights and the service was fast and luxurious (they set the table with a tablecloth and vase with a flower in it). The food was hot and delicious.
The beaches:
The beaches were great with lots of room to spread out and relax (no getting up early just to reserve a chair!). You could walk for miles and take in the beauty and serenity. Snorkeling was amazing thanks in no small part to Renault (the lifeguard - who I should have had spell his name for me!). We were inexperienced and Renault took us out and showed us some of the most amazing sites ever. There were tonnes of fish, it was incredible and all so close to shore.
The Spa:
We went for the couples Rum massage which was as relaxing and aromatic as everyone says. Definitely not to be missed. I actually went back to the spa the next day! I had the Reborn treatment (best hot/cold stone message I have ever had). The staff are so friendly and the atmosphere is totally tranquil.
The Pool Bar Staff:
Saving the best till last! Orestes, Noe and Norge are the Superstars of the resort. No matter where we sat in the resort, they would come by the minute our drinks were empty. Their enthusiasm and constant smiles were contagious. They truly are deserving of all the great comments they have received. They made our stay an even more memorable one. They even looked after my husband while I was at the spa! We highly recommend the Havana Special!!!
We could not have asked for a more perfect vacation. Melia Buenavista was our little piece of heaven. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so magical.
See you soon.

Room Tip: There is no bad room!
5 Thank KathrynRob2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us, and especially about our food.

We are also pleased to know that our associates, whom we are very proud of, were always helpful with your requests.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed our SPA. I`m glad you liked it.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Whitby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

What an outstanding resort! There is not much that I can say that has not already been said in recent reviews, the MBV truly is an outstanding resort.
Initially I was apprehensive about going there because of the distance from the airport. Once we arrived at the MBV, it was well worth the drive and quickly became a non-issue.
The service was phenomenal and all of the staff were outstanding. What a pleasure it was to meet Ernesto Osuna, the General Manager, he is a true asset to the MBV and the pride he takes in his role certainly shows.
We celebrated hubby's birthday with not one, but two cakes, (thanks to our butlers), coconuts and little handmade gifts from our friends - the gardeners and our chambermaid. What a nice treat that was!
Yes, it is a quiet resort but by no means is it a boring resort. Other than the wonderful staff, we met some great people and had a lot of laughs - a big shout out to Alberta, Nanaimo, Brights Grove, Brockville, Ottawa, the UK boys and more.
We will definately return to this resort and we highly recommend the MBV.

Room Tip: We were in bldg. 10, a beautiful ground floor room with a great view.
8 Thank WhitbySue
Dear Valued Guest,

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I really appreciate your concise review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense.

I want to personally thank you for your comments about my work. it is very satisfactory to read that you have so much appreciation about my work. It´s really, really nice.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

Manager
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,008 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!