“Beautiful, private, relaxing resort”
Review of Melia Buenavista

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My girlfriend and I just spent the past week at Melia Buenavista and were absolutely blown away by how beautiful this resort was. It feels private/smaller than the traditional Cuban travel resorts with stunning beaches and a great pool area. The villas are large and spacious with lots of space. All restaurants and areas are near by since it's smaller in overall room size, the pool and beaches aren't cluttered with people. You can move back and forth without headache and 90% of the time can find a spot to sit and enjoy the sun.

The staff is great especially the gentlemen who work at the Pool Bar. Noe, Norge, Ozmanny, and Oreste are work horses, and they treat the guests with uttermost respect. They spoil vacationers with there top notch service and friendliness. We became friends with them very quickly and it was a pleasure talking to them everyday. They also make the best drinks on the resort, and consistently ensure your glass is never empty.

Within one day of being at Melia Buenavista, we decided that we will be planning our next trip to return to MBV for February 2013. It is hard to imagine a nicer, high-class resort in Cuba where this experience could be topped.

It should be noted however that if you are looking for a "party" resort, or a place to get crazy (we weren't) - this is not the place to book as it is a very quiet, relaxing, and peaceful. The age group is typically older, as these people are looking for a quiet vacation to enjoy the sun.

5 stars highly recommended.

- Mike & Ashley

Room Tip: - Top level villas with beach view are stunning - Smaller resort, so all villas are close to all ar...
5  Thank gularti
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed the service of our famous bartender Orestes. I`m glad you liked it.

I am pleased to read that you had a relaxing vacation at Melia Buenavista

We hope to welcome you back in 2013.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Beautiful hotel and grounds!
The room was spacious and clean.( I loved the walk in closet) The bed was firm but I didn't have any troubles sleeping in it. I loved the pillows, which for me is the hardest thing about not sleeping in my own bed. Fridge was always well stocked. We loved the outdoor shower and used it at least 2-3 times a day. We always had plenty of hot water. I especially enjoyed the beautiful bubble baths that Alien and Joel fixed for us.
The food far exceeded our expectations. Our favorite restaurant was Los Caribes, that may be because of our favorite waitress. Although we did like the food in all of them. The margherita pizzas we ordered from room service were excellent as well as the grilled meat at the pool bar. We also tried the Romantico at Las Dunas. The food there was good as well. We were more than happy to get back to our nice, quiet hotel afterwards though.
I used the spa while I was there and very much enjoyed it as well. We had the couple's serenity massage and I also had 2 therapeutic massages. After getting back I read how good the Cuban rum massage and wished I had tried that.
The staff is what makes this hotel shine! I think this is a reflection of Ernesto's management skills. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome. Everyone you pass or meet greets you with "hola" and a warm smile. I wish I had written down everyone's names as I know I am missing some. Michael and Louis (Lewis) at the beach bar were great to us. We sat at the bar and had a couple of drinks while waiting for our room to be ready and later during the week when we spent time on the beach. Orestes, Norge and Noe at the pool bar never stop. They always remember what you were drinking and bring it with a great smile. Delvis, Javier and the rest of the staff at the Piano bar were wonderful and we enjoyed our morning cappuccino's there as well as our evening drinks. Ormondo always put a smile on our faces. Our housekeepers Eva and Yanet did a great job. Alien and Joel made our stay the most memorable vacation we have had!
The entertainment was very good and just enough of it.
If you are looking for a beautiful, quiet, relaxing holiday, this is the place. It would be a great place for a romantic honeymoon.
Thanks to Brett, Clayton, Yuri and Katia for helping pass the evenings!

4  Thank Mrs_Ell_63

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our “obliging” staff.

Our main commitment is to maintain the high standards you have experienced through consistency training to our staff; of whom we are very proud and believe is the finest in Cayo Santa María.

Thank you for your kind remarks about Oreste, Armando, Javier, Eva and many others. They will be very happy and pleased to read throughout your review. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Got back from MBV on Friday and can't stop thinking about the awesome time we had. I'm not going to rehash the same thing everyone's already said. I am going to say that we were spoiled rotten, treated like royalty, and loved every minute of it. I can't imagine ever going back to a "normal" all-inclusive resort again.

We had intended to branch out and explore but after settling in, we found that the resort offered us everything we needed to unwind and just relax for one week. We did not leave the resort until the bus picked us up to go back to the airport. The people are great, the food is decent, the rooms are gorgeous, and the beaches will leave you speechless. Guess it also helped that we had perfect weather every single day.

The only thing that makes me sad is that once this place catches on (which it seems to be doing quite quickly), the prices will skyrocket making it prohibitively expensive. I'm just glad I had the chance to experience this fine resort.

Hope you have a great time too!

2  Thank Goldendaisy

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experiences at our hotel. On behalf of our staff, I thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

We take pride in ensuring that all of our guests receive top-notch service. Serving our guests and making them happy at Hotel Melia Buenavista is the very essence of our resort. We remain dedicated to doing our utmost to meet your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you again at our beautiful tropical resort.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My girl friend and I stayed at the Melia Buenavista from Feb-8 to 15th, the service was was beyond expectations, the food and drinks were exceptional, the hotel grounds are beautiful and kept up by incredible gardeners , the management and the employees are all true professionals and really do care about their guests. We will return again and again.

Maria and Jacinto

Room Tip: 2322 great room with a full ocean view
1  Thank jbicda

Dear Valued Guest,

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I really appreciate your concise review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense. Congratulations!
It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic vacation at this remarkable resort.
All the praise that the Melia Buenavista has received is well deserved.
After flying all night on the red eye check-in was quick painless and the supplied wet face cloth was a nice touch. Unfortunately arriving at 8 ;30 am means not having a room ready to check in to for a few hrs. (we were by this time oh so ready for a shower). So we had to put our luggage in the lobby storage area and change in the bathrooms. That's the way it is when arrive before check-in time
When we got to our room we were very impressed, large and spacious with a beautiful ocean view over looking the sunset beach.
The maids kept the room spotless everyday and there is a turn down service nightly( oddly our balcony never got swept during our stay,we pushed the sand from our snorkelling gear off the deck with our towels)
Our outdoor shower was very private unlike some of the previous reviews, it looks like they have placed more slats in the open slots. An outdoor shower, was something that have never had before, I think would a real treat to experience, if you had hot water. Unfortunately we never did. Tepid, but never hot. We let out butlers know, and they had somebody look at it everyday, and one day we did have hot water for five minutes and it was wonderful, but it didn't last. They did their best to fix-it but, in Cuba things sometimes take awhile to fix. We know that.
The food was excellent, the best we have had in Cuba ( this is our 4th trip, third to Cayo Santa Marie) The service was excellent ( except one al-carte meal, it took 2.5 hrs. to eat, a bit too long, lots of waiting between courses) and the musicians in the restaurants and lobby are just amazingly gifted. They were so good that one night at the lobby bar they were called back to for encore at the end of the night. I have never seen that before. Often when musicians are done or take a break, it is a bit relief, not having to talk over them so to speak. Not these guys, they are so good, I don't think anyone wanted them to quit. Really you have to hear them.
Speaking of superstars, the guys at the pool bar are just that. Norge,Oreste and Noe are far away the best bar guys we have ever had pleasure the meeting on our eight Caribbean all- inclusive vacations. It seems to me that in most resorts, bar position is a bit of a senior position and the guys who get it are often older and maybe a bit jaded. Think about it, theses guys deal with all kinds of vacationers in various state of inebriation, that think this is once in a lifetime experience, I imagine yourself in their position, dealing with that many people can get old very fast. But these guys make everyone feel so special and I think they really do like meeting and serving people. rare and special folk indeed. A bouquet to them for sure.
Our butlers Edel and Ernesto were excellent. The concept of having a butler to take care of the little things that enviably pop up from time to time is excellent. Things that normally would have to go to reception for is more personally handled, we liked it.
In fact all the staff is outstanding, never had one person give us substandard service the whole week.
One thing thing that we found interesting was all the staff spoke English, some better than other of course, but everyone spoke some. It has been our experience that often the maids and gardeners speak only Spanish, it was really being able to talk to everyone, and the gardeners are super friendly always giving flowers to the women in the mornings, nice touch.
The three beaches are all great and have there own charm.
The main beach has incredible snorkelling, we have gone on many snorkelling excursions that have taken us to places that have far less fish than this spot that you just walk in to water to in front the beach bar. Amazing. Our last day the water was red flagged but most days the sea was fairly gentle with two flat calm days. Prefect bliss.
This a very small resort that excels because of an outstanding staff, they are the ones that make the difference. We will have a hard time going anywhere else now, I fear that we have been too spoiled.

1  Thank Tim D

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff and musicians.

Oreste, Norge and all our team will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just back from 14 days at the Melia Buenavista. In a single word it was “FABULOUS”!
This was our 7th trip to Cuba and 3rd in this region. We have stayed at the RHE and Melia Cayo Santa Maria but this was the best. Most of what I have to say has been reported in recent reviews of this hotel. However, I’ll take the time to share our experience with you. Our stay was 10-24 Feb 2012. The weather cooperated for the most part with only a couple of days that were cooler with stiffer winds. The rain that we incurred lasted a few minutes and was only sprinkles not enough to move us from our sun-beds.
The staff was the friendliest we have encounter any resort we have been to. Everyone normally single out the pool bar staff. One of my favorite staff members was Armando, a hulk of a man, yet a gentle and very polite gardener. Always a friendly greeting and after I got to know him a firm handshake. This man is truly a big part of why this resort is so beautiful.
Our concierge was Aylin. She took great care of us from the moment we arrived. This included a fresh fruit tray and a bottle of champagne upon our arrival in our room. She also arranged for an in room dinner that included some live music. While the Alma trio preformed a few songs, Aylin filled the soaker tub with a bubble bath for my wife.

All meals were on the resort. Our favorite restaurant was Los Caribes for dinner. On Valentines Day we had late dinner at Los Marinos. The service and the food were not good. Everyone with 8:30 dinner reservations were served each course as a collective rather than table by table. If you skipped a course you were required to wait for the next with everyone else. The servers seemed more interested in setting tables for breakfast the next morning. We had stuffed chicken as our main course. It was barely warmed when it was served. Beyond this one incident, we were happy with all other meals.

During our stay there were 4 consecutive days that no clean beach towels are available. A staff member informed us that this problem was due to transportation problems from the laundry back to the resort. This hotel needs to have contingency plans in place to correct this type of problem. If a vehicle is broken down, hire another. If need be se several smaller vehicles if required.

The outdoor shower was great. Our shower had been enclosed using plywood. I also noticed that the resort had crews installing wood in the openings for the showers.

I fully recommend this resort. Many we talked to say they selected the resort, as it was adults only!
We selected this resort for a quiet relaxing vacation. That is precisely what we got.

To Mark and Rennada from Lagoon City Ontario and Peter and Fionna from the UK we really enjoyed meeting you, It was great.

Rick & Arlene

1  Thank doneworken

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Please be assured that your comments make a difference and that we will continue to refine the services we offer our esteemed guests. We remain dedicated to continued refinement as we craft Cuba’s finest five-star resort.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I just got back from our holiday and had a great time

The staff at the pool bar were amazing. Thank you Orestes, noe, Jorge and osmany. The service you provided was first class.

The bar staff at the ocean were not as friendly. Wish I could remember names cause you were very rude

Thank you to our consieurs Mikael and Xavier you were amazing.

Beware that it is not wise to feed the fish bread. I was snorkeling and got bit by fish and I was not feeding them. My finger was bleeding and the staff at beach bar wouldn't even help me. I had to go to main pool bar for a bandaid.

If you are looking for a quiet resort and enjoy touristy excursions this is place for you. If you are wanting to see culture and countryside do not go here.

I enjoyed the resort but I wanted to see the Cuban culture.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank winterwonderland00

Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased that you have selected the Melia Buenavista hotel. It is nice to hear that you had a great stay and that you took advantage of the magnificent natural sites of this area.

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us.

However I want to apologize on behalf of the beach bar staff for not providing you with a band aid.

We do look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to this Sanctuary of the Senses.

Best Wishes,

3 mi away
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#7 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!