“Sol Melia Cuba has done it again!”
Review of Melia Buenavista

Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Burlington, ON
“Sol Melia Cuba has done it again!”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

First of all, thanks to everyone at the Melia Buenavista for making a rainy vacation a great vacation. Your service and attention to detail was amazing. Gerardo, Ernesto, Daricbel, Yedel, and everyone else, keep up the great work, your efforts made what could have been a terrible vacation, into a great experience.

Now, down to business.

We just returned from a rain drenched week at the Melia Buenavista, and I can't imagine many other places that I'd want to sit in the rain for four solid days.

The Rooms: Big, clean, modern, great views. I don't think theres a bad location in the resort, everything is close enough to be convenient no matter where your room is located. We were in 2021 and the view of the main beach and the rocky shore was spectacular.

The Food: Possibly the best we've had in ten trips to Cuba. Daricbel at Navigantes (international restaurant) was great. She made our dinners that much more enjoyable with her professional and friendly service.

The Pools: Small, but big enough that you can find a spot at just about any time of day. The west pool is the quieter of the two and we found ourselves relaxing on the centre "island" a few times. Very relaxing, and very well kept.

The Beaches: Amazing!!! Snorkelling from shore from any of the three different beaches. Big, wide, golden sand, plenty of space to spread out. Can't wait to get back again!!!

The Staff: Perfect! Professional, efficient, friendly, a pleasure to be around.

I'm sure I'll think of a hundred other things to write about, but for now I'll just say that we'll be back, again and again.

Room Tip: there really isn't a bad room location in the hotel, its a very intimate and well laid-out resor...
1 Thank Habanero1976
Dear Valued Guest,

I wish to thank you for the compliments that you kindly made on this Web site. I am pleased to read that you had a relaxing vacation at Melia Buenavista and that you took the time to enjoy the natural surroundings of the area.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you are thinking to come back in the near future for another great experience. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Melia Buenavista in early April 2012. We were impressed with this hotel's level of luxury, the professional staff, the perfect level of calmness combined with beautiful live music and the private beach. We travel often, not necessarily to all- inclusives and we were happy that our experience at this hotel was what we had hoped. Thanks to manager Ernesto and all of his friendly and accommodating staff, especially to our butler Gerardo, for taking such care. We will be back and we have recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah K
Dear Valued Guest,

Comments like yours are definitively nice to read. Thank you for taking the time to share them with other Trip Advisor’s readers and for letting us know that our hard work achieved our goals.

We look forward to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Melia Buenavista Hotel,

With Best Regards,

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Buenavista from May 4th to May 11th for a much needed week of complete relaxation and believe me we found it! We had read all the good reviews... but the bad also so we were not sure what to expect.

When we first arrived, I was surprised by how quiet it was. (It might have been due to the fact that we had shared the full 1hour and 30 minutes bus ride with a whole family for a wedding... that had started to party in the bus at 11am, but they were dropped off at another resort before us)

We were greeted and brought to our beautiful room. The room was gorgeous and very clean! What surprised me was that it smelled so good! Usually, you have a musty humid smell in sunny vacation spot hotel rooms... but not at the Buenavista! Also, THE OUTDOOR SHOWER IS AMAZING! They are very very private! We were on the second floor and no one could have seen anything even if they tried!

As for the food, all in all it ranged from very good to excellent!!! I can honestly say that there was only one meal that was not as good at the others... which was at the Los Navigantes but we switched to los Caribes for the rest of the trip. I am somewhat of a picky eater but I could not complain from anything served during our stay. The Los Caribes offered delicious meals every day. If you go, try their Margarita PIzza for lunch... Incredible! Also, the grill by the pool offered great grilled shrimp, beef, chicken, hot dogs and amazing grilled bananas! Yummmm!

Finally the STAFF!!!! Amazinggggg Staffffff!!!! I have to take the time to thank our butler Joel that took the time to prepare a wonderful evening for my boyfriend's birthday. We were treated to a beautiful candlelit room with an amazing bubble bath topped with fresh flowers. A table was set for a wonderful lobster diner. We sat down to eat and surprise!!!... Joel arrived with a beautiful birthday cake and a band to sing happy birthday to him!!! Now that is what I like to call Royal Service!

Now on to Oreste and Noe... the two pool bartenders that managed to make sure our drink was NEVER empty. These two are simply AMAZING! We barely had time to settle down that they would bring our favourite drinks! CUBATA for my boyfriend and a simple Limon Slush without alcohol for me! They were wonderful! They made sure my bf had a wonderful birthday!

Now for the snorkelling... I am an avid fan of wonderful marine life and wow was I ever spoiled during our trip at the Melia Buenavista!!!!! We went snorkelling every morning for about 1-2 hours. It was simply magical! Beautiful colours mixed with wonderful fish!!!! We saw squid, lionfish, rainbow fish, yellowed tailed damselfish, a HUGE puffer fish and many many more! :)

For anyone that is hesitating that loves a wonderfully private resort where you can both have fun and relax, I would strongly suggest the Buenavista!! We met wonderful people and had a great time!

Thank you to the staff at the Buenavista for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We had a second floor room with a pool view, it was absolutely wonderful! We could see the ocean fro...
2 Thank Blu_Paradise
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your detailed experience with others and for your nice comments about our resort, food, and service.

I am overjoyed to read that our staff made you feel welcomed. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations.

Our main commitment is to maintain the high standards you have experienced through consistency training to our staff; of whom we are very proud and believe is the finest in Cayo Santa María.

Thank you for your kind remarks about your Resort Host Joel. He will be very happy and pleased to read throughout your review. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better.

I look for forward to welcoming you back to Melia Buenavista very soon.

Best regards,

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I was at the Melia Buenavista from May 4th to 12th and everything about my stay was fantastic. Although the group I was there with was younger than the ideal demographic of this resort, we were all still able to have a fantastic time. The food was delicious and the activities were so much fun. The employees of the resort were all great as well. In particular the three bartenders from the pool bar Noe, Orestes and Norge were all amazing people and helped make our stay infinitely more enjoyable. They are so incredibly positive and so much fun to be around, I simply cannot compliment them enough. The other Melia resorts are also very easy to access and great to experience as well. The rooms are very spacious and the employees did a great job of keeping our room looking perfect and stocked with refreshments. Overall an amazing stay and I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Taylor L
Dear Valued Guest,

Comments like yours are definitively nice to read and let us know that our hard work achieved our goals. Thank you for taking the time to share them with other Trip Advisor’s readers.

With Best Regards,

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My boyfriend and I were from May 1 to May 8. I was attracted to book at this resort because of the reviews talking about how quiet and romantic and relaxing it was. We had been living long distance for 2 months due to work, so I was looking forward to a romantic quiet trip to reconnect.

TRIP - Terrible
We live in Regina SK but flew out of Calgary AB for the trip. So a 7 hour drive to Calgary, 5 hour flight at 11PM, and then a 2 hour bus ride at 6AM once we got to Cuba was a little tiring. I won't be doing that again. The bus was air conditioned and comfortable so I can't complain too much, but 2 hours to get to the resort was a little tiring.

BUTLER - Terrible
I was attracted to the butler service at this resort, but I have to state that it completely depends on who your butler is!!! Our butler, Ernesto, didn't seem to care about us, didn't even know our names, didn't know what day we were leaving and didn't make our dinner reservations. We made our dinner reservations with another butler on Ernesto's day off. When we requested a room service dinner, he said he "would have to see", "didn't know if it was possible". However, we talked to other couples who got the room service dinner, jacuzzi baths, etc. We got squat. This was the most disappointing aspect of the trip, as I would have loved to have a romantic bath, in-room dinner, etc.

FOOD - Average
The food was a miss, depending on the meal. Breakfast was a little lacking. My boyfriend often ordered bacon and eggs off the menu. I stuck to the buffet, which didn't have much, but I didn't mind the prosciutto, cheeses, smoked salmon, croissants, and of course the cappucinos! But if you're expecting breakfasts along the lines of what you would get at Mexico resorts, you're going to be disappointed.
Lunch was probably the best meal of the day. The pool grill had amazing pork kebabs, chicken, burgers, hot dogs. And if you got tired of that, there were the amazing pizzas at the Las Caribes restaurant. You can either go in for lunch and get out of the sun, or have the pizzas delivered to your pool chair. Amazing.
Dinner was always good. We are not picky eaters at all so we always had good dinners. My boyfriend's favourite was Cuban night at Las Caribes. We went off resort to the other Melias a few times and my favourites would be the Romantico lobster dinner at Melia Las Dunas, and the Japanese dinner at Melia Cayo Santa Maria. We met some amazing people at MCSM and had a great time at dinner and having drinks afterwards.

POOL BAR - Excellent
I can't say enough good things about the pool bar. Every good thing you've read about Noe and Orestes are all true. They are amazing, goodlooking, prompt and always so friendly. We spent a lot of our time relaxing at the activity pool because of these guys. Our drinks were always taken care of, no matter how busy they were. And that's saying a lot considering us Saskatchewan folk drink fast and hard.

ROOMS - Excellent
Very spacious, always clean. We didn't have a problem with ants at all, but we were very conscientious about rinsing out our pop and beer cans after we were done. Bed was big and comfortable, the movie channels on TV was a nice touch. We often watched a movie before bed and it was super relaxing.
Outdoor shower was a novel concept. Kind of chilly on windy days but I liked it. Not something you experience every day, right?

GROUNDS - Very Good
My biggest concern before going on this trip were the resort dogs. I had read on other reviews that there were a couple dogs that were on resort. And yes, there they were. I have a huge phobia, so my fear is a little extreme. I was always scared to walk around at night because it was cooler out and the dogs were more active. During the day, however, they usually just napped and lazed around. They wouldn't bug you if you don't approach them. I only ever saw them follow people who were giving them food. So overall, I didn't mind it too much.
Overall, beautiful grounds. Still a work in progress, but it's very natural and secluded.
We were there during a construction period, so there was a lot of noise as they were building and painting new cabanas and some sort of new fountain or something. I wish that was different as the noise and paint fumes were a little offputting, but really not that bad.

BEACHES / SNORKELLING - Excellent
The main beach was excellent for relaxing and beginners snorkelling (which is me). Every morning that we went down there, someone would have cushions set up for us and we always had drink service. It was windy for a few days, but the one day I snorkelled there I saw a ton of fishies.

Snorkelling beach (the one off of the activity pool) - excellent for advanced snorkelling (my boyfriend). He went out a few times on his own and a few time with the lifeguard at the resort. The lifeguard was amazing and showed him where to go and pointed out lots of interesting things (sharks, barracudas, punk fish, lion fish, squid, etc). That was the highlight of the trip for my boyfriend. We would set up by the pool bar, relax, drink, tan, read, and when he got antsy, he would just head to the beach and snorkel for an hour.

Sunset beach - this was the most natural of the beaches and it does stink due to the plant life. However, it was nice to walk along and find starfish and just go exploring. Sunset was around 7:30PM and our dinner reservations always coincided with the sunset ceremony. However, on our last day, we made a conscious decision to book a later dinner so we could enjoy the sunset ceremony. This was the best way to end our trip. It was hands-down the most romantic experience of my life - beautiful ocean, amazing saxophone player, champagne, gorgeous sunset, and the love of my life. I really couldn't ask for more and it was such a nice touch to the end of our vacation.

So as you can see, my boyfriend and I are not really picky people. Yes, we had our issues (biggest ones being our butler and the dogs) ,but at the end of the day, we were there to relax and be with each other and this was the most amazing environment to do so. So natural, so secluded, so romantic.

7 Thank LizNRegina
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Family, and specially from our butler Ernesto we deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience. It is very disappointing to read we did not meet your expectations with the service of our butler and breakfast. All our restaurants are "A la carte" but we also offer a buffet for breakfast and lunch but as a hotel of 104 rooms we don´t provide as you have mentioned a big line buffets because is not the type of service that we are looking for. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our lunch and dinners.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Melia Buenavista on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the whole positive experience that you deserve.

Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I had a blast at the resort. I was with a younger crowd and we were still able to have a blast. I went for a wedding and everything was perfect. I had a blast with the bartenders at the pool Bar Noe, Oreste, Norge, They kept me extremely entertained and are some of the nicest guys i've ever met. The resort was really clean and I would definitely go back there. Dinners were great and all the other resorts are easily accessible if you are looking for a change of pace. The rooms were extremely nice and the concierge service was great.

Once again though what made the trip for me was the fun times I had at the pool bar with all the awesome guys that work their.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Andrew D
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed the service of our famous bartender Orestes, Noe and Norge.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and I were there to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. I had mentioned this to my agent at Itravel2000 but I guess it was not relayed and also the fact that I wanted a very quiet section of the resort. I will not use this agent for future purchases. I had called about the overbooking issue at this hotel and they did not assist me. They told me they were going to transfer my request to a customer service representative. They did not. I emailed the hotel manager direct and confirmed my prime ocean view reservation with him.

We stayed from April 22 to May 2 in room 1422 which I do not recommend if you want peace and quiet at night. The hotel is very quiet so it was just our luck to be put in a room right outside the outdoor bar lounge. A few days in the entertainment started outside until 11pm sometimes later. That was not so bad but some of the guests were quite loud till 2am. So if you want a really peaceful evening request any other room.

We travel quite extensively to quite a few luxury resorts. By Cuban standards this maybe a 4 to 5 star but not likely if you want basic amenities daily. When booking this hotel I was basically intrigued by the “peace and quiet” everyone raved on about. It was a long year for us and we really needed rest. We enjoyed the 3 beaches and how different they were. The sunset beach is really just to to sunbathe. The water was very thick and murky and smelled. The other 2 beaches were lovely in their own way. The main beach was really rough during our stay. The water was never calm due to the wind and rainy days. Walking down that beach was nice looking towards the sea however the resort side looked like a garbage dump. Broken chairs piled up with trash. Clearly there is no staff taking care of this. If there is they are not doing a good job at all.
Not once were we acknowledged by an employee on all the beaches to get us the cushions for the chairs. We basically gave up and set up at the quiet pool and walked to the beach several times a day to enjoy the water. This is not acceptable for a 5 star.

Towels are a huge issue at this resort. Even with the towel lady behind the counter only giving out towels in exchange for old towels there is still an issue. Several days they did not have fresh beach/pool towels. We basically had to use our old towels or find someone to give us a couple of room towels which was hard because the staff gave us the impression they did not want to supply them. They would take our room number if they gave us 2 towels. Almost like they were doing us a favor. I don’t understand this. I had mentioned this to the manager in my email to him regarding overbookings and he said it was a problem in March. I figured maybe it was busy season but no that is not the case. So please be forwarned about this ongoing annoying issue at this resort. Towels were also an issue in the room. Sorry we appreciate fresh towels when we go away because at home we do not do this. It’s a treat to have this on holidays. We do not take advantage either. We usually shower a couple of times a day and hang our towels so the maids at night don’t change them. Well, apparently they don’t change towels even when they are soaking wet and placed on the floor. The turn down service maid hung our old soaked towels up and when I went to use one of them it was full of ants. Sorry that is absolutely not acceptable. There are too many infections you can catch and this is kind of practice is just asking for someone to become ill. After that incident we did not want turn down service. We always left a tip and all they did was put the same card beside one of the pillows which I stored on the nightstand and rehung dirty towels.

Hotel butlers are a nice touch. The only time we would get fresh towels was if we put the dirty ones in a pile at the front door and found our butler and asked him to tell the maid we wanted new ones. I did appreciate the bubble baths a lot however, when I leave a “do not disturb” sign on my door please don’t enter and leave the door open while you do your thing because we probably didn’t put everything in the safe not too mention all the bugs that came in. We made most of our reservations when we got there. This is such a turn off. Nowhere do they have any info on what the restaurants specialize in. So you basically play roulette dinner and get times that are never what you want even when you are booking 7 days in advance not too mention the last two days we should have got a time we wanted but even that never happened. Ten days at this resort food wise was too much. We went to another resort and ate Japanese one night which broke it up a tad. We did not go hungry but the food was not that good. I enjoyed Los Navigantes where I had Mahi Mahi and my husband had shrimp pasta which was really good. We had a couple of pizza’s one day at the pool which were ok. Breakfast was a total hit or miss. We generally ordered eggs everyday and towards the end of our trip what was supposed to be scrambled eggs was wet and soggy and very unappetizing. The meals were generally not hot just warm. I feel like they are trying to make it a fine dining experience but it’s lacking much flavor. Maybe they should just stick to what they know and make their own food. We enjoyed the Cuban lobster stew on our first night and they Cuban rice so maybe they should concentrate on that.

We did see the manager walking around quite a bit during our stay. I do understand he has made improvements to this resort from what it was however, I don't really think he sees what's going on. On more than one occasion the public bathrooms did not have soap. Doors did not lock and lights were off. Why doesn't he notice these things. Does he not see how trashy the main beach looks? If there has to be such towels restrictions why not buy enough beach towels so that when a bunch are being laundered they have some to fall back on as with the bath towels (Melia is not hurting). This could work seeing they have towel people handing out towels. I really hate restrictions like this but it does stop the chair hoggers from doing their thing. Which is a positive.

Even with the two days of solid rain and lack of towels and good food we did have a really nice vacation. We were able to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Loved the outdoor shower!!!

The highlight was meeting Armando one of the maintenance men. He gave us coconuts and would run around getting straws for us and even picked a couple of the best banana’s I’ve ever ate off the trees by the pool. He even gave me a flower one day….Such a great guy. He always had a big smile and a how are you today. Just loved him

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 1422 if you can. Lovely views just not as quiet as could be Always put valuables...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SunStar42
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express gratitude for your taking the time to write about your stay at Melia Buenavista.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us. So we want to apologize for the inconveniences that you have encountered during your stay.

I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.

In gratitude, thanks once more for your comments. Be assured that your feedback is valued and important.

Yours sincerely,