“Outstanding! Third Time's the Charm!”
Review of Melia Buenavista

Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding! Third Time's the Charm!”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed at the Melia Buenavista from Dec 14 - 21 in room 2321. This was our third visit and while we didn't think it could possibly get any better it far exceeded our expectations. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

First off I have to recognize the wonderful Manager, Ernesto. This man never stops! He is very present on the resort and always available to guests. He knows the meaning of customer service and works hard to ensure guests of the MB are being treated well.
The staff here are some of the most welcoming and friendly people we have ever met. To be remembered by name made us feel like we were old friends and for them to also remember our preferences was incredible.

BUTLER SERVICE:
Our butlers were EDEL and GERRARDO, they work alternating days. It was our first time with Gerrardo and our third time with EDEL. The day we arrived we were greeted by Edel who had already made our dinner reservations for the evening at our preferred time to dine (those little details that people remember!) - he wasn't sure which restaurant we wanted to eat at so he had booked both for us. Every day we were there we would go back to our room before dinner to find little plates of cheese and olives with wine. There would also be beautiful baths with candles and flowers. We cannot say enough good things about Edel and Gerrardo, they made us feel like royalty!

TURNDOWN SERVICE:
One of our favourite things about this trip was the nightly turndown. We would go back to our room at night to find the bed beautifully made, lights dimmed, soft music and chocolates on the pillow. It was so comforting!

ROOM MINI BAR:
Hats off to the wonderful LAZAROS. On our first day he asked us what we'd like in our fridge - we're water and beer people - and every day he made sure that we were well stocked.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:
Amazing! We had meals this time around that would cost $200-$300 if we were to order them here in Toronto. This is an area that we found to be most improved even though it didn't need to be improved upon. The only thing we can't offer an opinion on is room service as we didn't order it during our stay.
Breakfast - We always went to the buffet where you can also order off the menu but we never bothered with this as there is enough selection at the buffet. There are hot and cold items, lots of fruits, a selection of breads and pastries, fresh squeezed juices and delicious coffee.
Lunch - You can dine at the buffet or at Los Caribes. The buffet seems to be more Tapas style now with lots of great selection. Artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, cheese, olives, meats, etc. It is all there! No reason for anyone to leave hungry. You can also order off the menu for lunch. Los Caribes offers up Italian and we felt like it was our little secret as we were usually the only ones dining there. Great food and amazing service. There is also the Pool BBQ - we never ate lunch there but the chef did us a few plates of fresh chips and they were good!
Dinner - You have a choice of theme dinners at Los Caribes or Los Navigantes. We did the theme nights at Los Caribes all but two nights we were there. The Italian was by far our favourite but the Surf and Turf, Mexican, Cuban and Asian nights did not disappoint either! Los Navigantes was yummy on the two nights we dined there and we had some amazing lobster and filet.
The service at the a la cartes was great and we never left hungry!

RECEPTION:
The Melia Buenavista has just won an award for their outstanding reception and it is well deserved. Check in, as always, was relaxed and we felt welcomed as soon as we arrived.

BEACHES:
The private beach is our favourite beach now. Beautiful sand, quiet and the best place to watch the sunset. The main beach by the pool bar is the best for snorkeling. The other beach by the buffet took a beating from Hurricane Sandy - the last two times we visited it felt like you could walk that beach forever but you could tell it didn't hold up to the Hurricane. However, this was the only area that we noticed any hurricane damage.

LOBBY BAR:
Our favourite place for morning cappucinos and after dinner drinks. The people who work the Lobby Bar are always smiling and very friendly. Thanks to NOE, LEONARDO, DELVYS and MARIO for the extra special service!

POOL BAR:
ORESTES is the heart of this resort. We keep telling him he is a celebrity on Trip Advisor but the reason he gets mentioned so often is because he is so genuine. He really wants you to relax and enjoy yourself. How he remembers everyone's names and drink orders is beyond me. OSMANY (Orestes Jr.) is new to the pool bar since our last visit but he is quickly following in the footsteps of Orestes. These guys make a great team and are two of the hardest workers at the resort.

GROUNDS:
Beautiful. Our first trip to MB was in May 2011 shortly after it had first opened and the grounds were beautiful then. Each time we go we notice small improvements and it is really beautiful now.
We were very happy this trip to see a small family of ginger kittens and their mother. We would usually take some ham from the buffet to feed them which they happily accepted. However if we didn't have ham we didn't see them (although we wanted to!) and they definitely didn't bother us in any way.
If you're the type that mosquitos like then don't forget your bug spray! We found them to be particularly hungry on the days that weren't windy.

Overall we had a fantastic time and were very lucky to have incredible weather every day we were there. We will definitely return and we're counting down the days until our next vacation!

9 Thank TdotCanuk
Ernesto O, General Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team we want to thank you for your third visit. It´s always a great pleasure to receive repetitive guest like you and for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed our hotel so much and that you will return.

We are also pleased to know that our associates, whom we are very proud of, were always helpful with your room change.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you are thinking to come back in the near future for a bit more pampering. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Ernesto Osuna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Once we got over the 90 minute drive to the Cayo Santo Maria location, the trip was awesome. We had very nice, breezy temps and very little rain. Everyone was very friendly and willing to assist (and they asked if you needed anything). This goes from your butlers (Edel/Alien), to Osmani and Orestes (pool bar), Yami, Javier or Delvis (Lobby Bar), the poolside chef, the entire anamation team, Yuri (Sales Jefe) or Ernesto (The Hotel GM). They truly made the difference.

Room Tip: The rooms are very large and if you want privacy request building 20-21.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in Melia Buenavista. I’ll be happy to share your impressions with Orestes, Edel, Alien, Osmany, Yuri... who seems to have provided a caring service to you and your wife.

We truly appreciate your commentary and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the paradise of Cayo Santa María.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Buenavista from Dec 19th thru Dec 26th, 2012. This is our 3rd trip to Santa Maria and the 1st stay at this resort. We had planned to have a Christmas getaway and we couldn't have chosen a better resort. The resort is quiet and beautiful. We had a room with an ocean view room and the room was perfect. All I can say is we found Paradise. Rather than repeating what others have said I would like to sincerely Thank the General Manager Ernesto and all of the Management and Staff for arranging the most beautiful Christmas Eve gathering I have ever seen, it was far beyond our expectations. The work that went into arranging such a fantastic evening for your guests goes beyond words. We were treated like true royalty. Individual dining tables were set up all around the pool. The food was a feast to say the least. There was everything and anything you could think of from sushi to lobster, steak, pork, cheeses, salads, pasta, desserts I can't explain how well done this was and the variety was incredible. The wine flowed and later the champagne I just can't even put it into words how special all the guests were treated. As well, there was a synchronized swimming performance that was superb entertainment followed by a band who would just make you want to dance and sing and many did. I would like to thank Orestres and Osmany our pool bartenders for their great service and many smiles they provided through our stay as well as Mary at breakfast. In reality all of the staff are excellent and very thoughtful. Our butlers Aylin and Michael were a pleasure to deal with. I would like to say a special Thank you to Aylin who was so kind to drop by with some soup and a tea one evening when she heard I wasn't feeling well then the next day surprising me with a wonderful bubble bath decorated with pedals. A true example of Royal Service and made our trip so special.
In closing we enjoyed all aspects of this resort from snorkelling to a wonderful serenade at sunset, just laying by the pool in tranquility or walking the beach. We have found paradise and we will return to the Melia Buenavista.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room in building 14 on the second floor. Room 1421
6 Thank LindaW335
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in Melia Buenavista. Specially about our Christmas dinner. Reading your commentary it makes me feel so good and I say to my self that it was worthy all the effort made. I must say that I was very happy also how the whole evening was.

I’ll be happy to share your culinary impressions with all my staff, specially with Ailin, who seems to have provided a caring service, she is so adorable and professional.

Thank you for sharing your experience, we are really looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the paradise of Cayo Santa María.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I have just returned after spending a week at the Melia Buenavista with my daughter and we both very much enjoyed our stay there. The resort is very small compare to other resort located close by but this allows the very attentive staff to truly cater to all the guests in a fabulous manner!! For example, I came back after a full day on a catamaran to find that the jacuzzi had been already filled with sea salt bath and decorated with hibicus flowers...I truly felt like a queen!! Also, you won't find annoying loud music playing all day and if you long for more people and noise, you can access the two larger Melia resorts that are nearby. This resort is definitively on the list of places I would like to go back!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelingQueen65
Dear valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us.

Your feedback is valued and important in maintaining the outstanding quality of our five-star resort. I believe in small details and there is a sentence that says that we remember moments not days and your butlers seems to have accomplished it.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Hasta pronto,

Lloydminster
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I would like to thank Osmany,Orestes,Edel and gerardo for making our stay amazing. The service was excellent and I found the food quite good. The room was very nice and the outdoor shower was a very nice touch. If you are looking for a small very relaxing resort with great service then this is the place for you. We will be returning this coming christmas to stay for 2wks instead of one. There isnt a whole lot of night life at this resort but I didnt seem to mind the mellow relaxing atmosphere. I really loved Osmany and Orestes as they would come down to the beach and take drink and food orders which I found awesome as you prolly dont find that in many place, at least not where I have been.

Room Tip: Prime Ocean view room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor’s Member

Comments like yours are definitively nice to read and let us know that our hard work achieved our goals. Thank you for taking the time to share them with other Trip Advisor’s readers.

Every time I read about Orestes I feel very happy because He is such a good person and professional that he deserves all the great comments.

We look forward to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Melia Buenavista Hotel,

With Best Regards,

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We visited the hotel end of Nov / early Dec 2012 for 7 nights of our 12 night visit to Cuba.

Miscellaneous:
We were welcomed with a drink and then taken to breakfast. Our butler, Joel, showed us the facilities and our room and was very accommodating and helpful. Butlers alternate each day. Our other butler was Alien who was also really nice. There were a lot of Canadians and a few British people at the resort so most staff there spoke English and other languages as well.

We used the butler service to book meals and to report a lamp the was out outside our room (which was quickly fixed) but not for anything else. We'd have been happy to book our meals ourselves if we didn't have to use the butlers and, in all, found the whole butler thing a bit gimmicky but maybe that's just us.

We were aware we could visit the other Melia hotels in the vicinity and were going to do so for their water sports but as the sea was rough 6 out of the 7 days we were there and another couple said the place had been overrun with children (who were probably understandably stir crazy if they couldn't go in the sea) we didn't bother.

Room:
Our room was nicely decorated and the bed was large and comfortable. The fridge could be stocked with whatever drinks you wanted. We asked for beer and diet coke but only drank a couple of cans during our stay. There was a coffee machine rather than a kettle and filter rather than instant coffee. We had to request milk and were given a litre carton of uht which was better than those tiny sachets. The teas were herbal types rather than English I believe but as neither of us drink it we didn't pay too much attention.

Toiletries were provided - soap, shampoo & conditioner in one, moisturiser, shower caps, shoe shine. As I like separate shampoo & conditioner I used my own. We also used our own shower gels although the soaps were nice. There's a hair dryer, iron & ironing board plus robes and slippers. What was really puzzling was the lack of rubbish bin in the large living area. We had to move the one from next to the toilet (provided for sanitary waste) in to the bedroom.

The wardrobe only accommodated short items of clothing. I wanted to hang some long dresses but they were too long to fit. I suspect they were designed by a man ;-)

We got a few American channels and BBC World News on the TV. There was no iPod dock or speakers but we brought our own portable speaker. The plug sockets were 220v and took either US or European adapters.

The outside shower sometimes had no hot water but was good when it worked. It would have been nice if there was a shelf of some kind for toiletries. The bath was great but a bit difficult to get in and out of as the tiled space at the side was quite wide. The tiles are lethal if you have wet feet - I walked in from the shower and slipped, crashing to the floor. Thankfully I landed in a way that didn't cause me injury.

The cleaner did a really great job and both her and the people doing the turn-down service made you feel special with the way they presented the room. On our last evening Joel prepared us a lovely bath with flowers and petals etc.

Food:
The food was ok. I read mixed reviews and as I'm generally positive about hotel food, I had high hopes, thinking those who'd said negative things were just being picky. I wasn't disappointed but I wouldn't rave about the food.

At breakfast you could order eggs and there were hash browns, crispy bacon and some type of sausage to go with it. There were also pancakes with syrup or chocolate sauce. These were great at the start of the week but I think the chef changed as after a couple of days they were smaller and rubbery.

There was a wide choice of meats, cheese, breads, cereals etc. The staff were friendly and this was generally a good meal.

Lunch could be taken at the same restaurant as breakfast or Los Caribes (or the BBQ by the pool). There was a daily buffet with hot and cold choices plus items that could be ordered from the menu. It was all quite nice. Los Caribes served Italian and snacks. The pizza I had was ok. Again, the quality varied which I think depended on the chef. One day I ordered bolognese pasta. This tasted fine but the meat was really fatty and poor quality so I'd avoid anything with mince.

I had steak twice and both times it was cooked perfectly but tough as old boots. To me this indicates that the meat is not hung, not great quality and the chef is doing what he can but he can't work miracles. We had fantastic steak at the Parque Central in Havana so I know good quality meat can be purchased in Cuba - the steak, chicken and mince I had here though really wasn't anywhere near as good quality. Los Navigantes has the nicest ambience of the restaurants but the menu gets repetitive, even with the daily specials.

I'm not a fussy eater but I don't like squid and overly fishy flavours despite eating fish, lobster & shrimp. I found they seemed to add other seafood (like squid) to dishes that only mentioned lobster or shrimp and Chinese soup (which I thought might be wonton) was really fishy. I therefore left quite a few things which I wouldn't have ordered if the description had been clearer about what they were and/or contained.

If you are on a set menu at Los Caribes (as I was on the oriental night) and you don't like the courses you can find by the end of the night you've not eaten a great deal! My first night all I had was some pretty tough chicken but I was so hungry I put up with it.

The choice of spirits I thought was a bit limited but I'm not an expert so others may disagree. Certainly there was a much bigger choice and more mainstream brands at Parque Central. The drink I was served that was supposed to be Malibu and Coke was definitely not that and generally the spirit measures could be so big that I personally found the drinks to be overpowering and not all that enjoyable. As a result I avoided cocktails and spirits and resorted to wine if I wanted something alcoholic. The rose and white were good but the red was hit and miss.

If we'd have stayed longer than a week we'd have been bored of the food and gone to the other Melia resorts for some variety.

Entertainment:
There were various bands in the restaurants and bar all of which were really good. A guitar group, in particular, really impressed us.

There were daily dance classes by the pool, Spanish classes and water polo, which was good fun. The entertainment staff worked really hard to make sure people had a good time.

The bar staff, gardeners, maintenance men, waiters etc could not be faulted - all had a friendly smile, all worked incredibly hard to make sure you felt welcome and had a good time. We left a lot of tips over the course of the week, probably spending about 100CUC in all, by the time we tipped the butlers and cleaner. Given the poverty in general and the poor wages in Cuba (ask Cuban people what they earn and you'll be shocked) we thought they deserved it.

Facilities:
I didn't use the spa but used the gym. The machines were good and multi-language. The touch screen on one was temperamental but was fixed within 24hrs when I reported it.

There's a shop that sells souvenirs etc. The choice of postcards is poor and neither the shop nor reception sell stamps so you need to leave the resort if you intend sending any.

If you need the Internet, forget it! There is no wifi, the computers in the reception area have ancient operating systems and are powered by hamsters on a wheel. We attempted to use one then gave up. Another couple told us it took them an hour to receive and send one email. There's also no 3G signal.

I enjoyed our week at Melia BV. The manager took the time to introduce himself and ask how our week was going. I had nothing negative to report to him as my gripes (lack of food variety on an evening and mediocre quality meat aren't things he could fix really.)

If I was set on coming to Cuba, on the whole I'd recommend this resort and would probably go back. That said I've had equally nice stays at hotels closer to home (eg Turkey) which were cheaper and I'm not sure I could justify returning to Cuba in the same way many of the Canadians could, for whom it's only a short flight away.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room was sea view but there were quite a lot of trees and shrubs outside so actuall...
6 Thank riceburner
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the very kind feedback and for staying with us at Melia Buenavista. I am very proud of the outstanding team I have working for us.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to your new home in Cuba, so we can once again create great memories for you.

Warm Regards

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at Melia Buenavista December 14th to 22nd, 2012. We had a wonderful stay. The resort is quiet and beautiful, the room comfortable and well appointed, and the food was really good. The staff and management at this resort are top notch.

We enjoyed the beaches. The resort was not full when we were there so it was like having a private beach - there are three to choose from. There were always chaises and shady spots available and the pool bar staff were very helpful. The snorkelling was great.

It was nice to have a "butler" to look after dinner reservations, etc. Geraldo and Edhil looked after us and they were great!

We will definitely return.

2 Thank Kate C
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in Melia Buenavista. I’ll be happy to share your impressions with our staff who seems to have provided a caring service.

We cannot thank you enough for choosing to stay with us and hope that you will come back soon or at least next year to again celebrate your anniversary here at Melia Buenavista