“The Ultimate Experience In Search Of Excellence”
Review of Melia Buenavista

and 1 more site!
Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
London, United Kingdom
“The Ultimate Experience In Search Of Excellence”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Outstanding vacation, in the outstandig place, best service ever.
We were looking for something unique and special in order to finish our 14 days Cuba road trip. It was without a doubt one of our utmost experience.
Amazing staff, extremelly professional and dedicated to make your stay unforgettable.

1 Thank Fabrizio L
Dear Fabrizio L,
It has been a pleasure to acknowledge, through your lively review, how pleased you felt with our facilities and services. It is very rewarding to receive such nice comments which certainly stimulate us to continue working in our service quality.
Be certain that we will be honored to welcome you back and provide you another memorable holiday. Thank you so much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel is for older people. No noises, no children. Service is perfect, rooms excellent, only food could be better. Beaches are so beautiful with colorful fishes swimming around you and crystal clear water.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Georgic56
Dear Georgic56,
Receive most respectful greetings to you from Cayo Santa María.
We would like to thank you for this nice review expressing how it felt to stay at our resort and experience our natural environment, service and human warmth. Buenavista is the perfect place to relax for all the people over 18 years old who want to forget the rest of the world.
Hoping to see you soon,
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is out tenth time in Cuba. Don't hesitate to visit Buenavista, it is all that you could want in a resort. With 3 beaches, easy access to restaurants at the other Melia resorts, amazing entertainment and no line ups for anything, what more can you ask for.
Our butlers, David and Gustavo, were so accommodating and full of great information.
This resort is a gem.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mickey S,
Thank you so much for your contribution.
We are so happy to know you have fully enjoyed your vacation at Meliá Buenavista! It feels indeed very rewarding to receive such nice comments knowing that our future travelers are also reading about your experience. It would be a great pleasure to have you, once again as our guests to enjoy some really special vacations.
See you soon!
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The resort was amazing. The staff were so friendly, they all knew your names. They made you feel like you were the chosen ones. They went out if there way to make sure you had everything you needed. We have never felt so pampered. The manager introduced himself to all and he walked around the resort helping all staff with there duties if needed. The food was so delicious and plentiful. The beaches were amazing, the best snorkeling we have ever done. All staff were happy, easy going and ready to please. The rooms were so clean and very nice.
Overall, we will definitely go back,and would refer anyone to go. You'll wonder why you went anywhere else. Love this resort.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank csztogz
Melia B, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Csztogz,
Thank you so much for your review describing your experience at Meliá Buenavista.
It feels good to receive such nice comments regarding our resort.
We are committed to keep on working in the improvement of our services and staff performance so, we are sure your next vacation with us will be even more pleasant.
Hoping to be able to serve you again in the near future,
Best regards
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The people that work at this resort are amazing, they work very hard to make sure your stay is the best it can be. A small resort with no children make it the perfect spot to relax. My daughter-in-law and I had the most wonderful time together for one week. The 3 beaches were amazing, the food wonderful and our two butlers... we loved for trying very hard everyday to make our stay perfect.It is a vacation we will always remember with a smile, we would love to come visit again someday.The bus ride to and from the airport we thought of as a bonus as we got to see a bit of Cuba and hear about the beautiful island that it is.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gloria159
Melia B, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Gloria159 :
It has been a real pleasure to receive such a nice comment. It is very rewarding to acknowledge that your short visit to our resort has inspired these good feelings on you. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back for another vacation in your new home away from home.
little current
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I will try to be as honest and helpful with this review as I can...I will say that my wife and I absolutely loved this place and will be returning, .... I do understand some of the bad reviews, others I just cannot believe, however, and any downfalls will be attended to !

LOCATION

I did rate the location of this resort as poor, but to clarify, this is the location of Santa Maria Island it's self NOT the resort....the resort is at the absolutely BEST location on the island, it is the 1 and a half to 2 hour bus ride to the island that is unfortunate. It is long and only recently have stopped service of beverages on the busses...."prohibition" has arrived to the busses....get a beer before you leave the airport.
That said .....there is a small airport on the island with lots of room to expand in order to accept international travel, but after investigation, I found out that the environmentalists do not want the large jets landing on the island disturbing nature, it really does make sense...KUDOS to them ! (the noise would also be heard at the resorts !)
The resort itself is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the other resorts and is pleasantly quiet, with access to beaches facing 3 different directions....

BEACHES

the west beach is out of the wind and very calm, but is really too shallow to swim, the sand is great and the peacefulness is the perfect setting for the daily sunset clarinet or saxophone champagne concert (aprox 1/2 hr), and perfect for peaceful walks on the pure white sand.
the north beach is protected by a coral reef that has 2 openings allowing the waves to gently roll in, this is our favorite beach in the morning, when the tide is in, it was too shallow when the tide was out BUT the snorkelling during either tides was excellent.
the north/east facing beach is the main beach and is the same beach as every other resort on the island, however you cannot see the next resort from anywhere on the property.... the closest point to the resort, on this beach, is also protected by a small coral reef, with excellent snorkelling, keeping the waves to a minimum....the larger waves are only 50 to 100 yards father along the shore.
The beach bar is here and they were always attentive to our needs.
We NEVER had too look to far for a shaded beach lounger.

We did not have any issues with service on either of the last 2 beaches, however there is no service on the west beach until the evening serenade.

I did read reviews that stated slow service on the small coral protected beach (north beach), this beach was serviced by 2 amazing servers (thanks for amazing mojitos !) in the bar by the main pool, and were attempting to service both pools and this beach with only 2 staff..... but while we were there the management moved Lester (our absolutely favorite server) from the Caribe restaurant to the pool bar/north beach bar....this man literally RUNS ...and I mean RUNS constantly and is so attentive to your needs that you really will not believe it....(see my photos for the proof !)

Before I talk about the food, I have to mention that on our very first evening, in the Caribe restaurant, the resort manager came to our table and introduced himself to us, he spent enough time with us to welcome us and make us feel that our every need would be attended....I have NEVER had a manager, of any resort anywhere, take the time to greet us personally....I was already feeling important.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD

Food here was far from bland, I personally believe that it is the lack of GARLIC here that most miss, I am not sure if this is true throughout Cuba, but I missed my garlic..... over all we enjoyed every meal, some portions were smaller, but the presentation was always excellent, the chicken portions could be better, but I have eaten at many classy restaurants and most have smaller portions that less fancy restaurants...order 2 ! ...I jokingly told my server one evening in navagantes restaurant, that I really wasn't sure how I liked my lobster, I needed another to be sure....he did not get my humour and offered immediately to get me another !

There are 3 la carte restaurants at the resort, as well as room service, a pool side bbq, then snacks and COFFEE at the piano bar....

La Caribe....(dinner only)

This is where we met Lester....he blew my mind, his service was impeccable, they will miss him here, but now at the pool bar he gets home before his 2 daughters are in bed, we are so happy for him !
We had one evening of poor service here, but we did eat late that evening and had moved to a section that through off the balance of the servers, the more upsetting thing was that the appetizer was to be stuffed tomato on the menu, we got fried banana with a ham in the centre, not for me. When I mentioned it, I was told that it was changed...too bad they forgot to tell us....I did mention it to the resort manager and he noted it to ensure it would not happen again, I believe he will attempt to do exactly that.
The entertainment here on Cuban night and on Mexican night is second to none, we were very impressed !

Dos Navagantes .....(dinner only)

Fanciest restaurant....dress nice, it feels good.....we enjoyed every meal here and the service was always good...HOWEVER....on our later dining evening (8:30), although we got in with no problem, it appeared that they were over booked and many after us had a long wait , either outside or at the piano bar.
There is no entertainment here, but entertainment is not what this restaurant is about......(get fries from here later in the evening ....through room service, mmmmm)

Marinos.....(breakfast, lunch, dinner)

We enjoyed every breakfast here....indoor or outdoor eating....it is buffet/a la carte
.... I'm an egg guy,.....fried, over easy, no runny white but runny yolk and no rubber edges.....I had ONE broken yolk in all 7 breakfasts...and the service was ALWAYS good in the morning.
My wife had either scrambled (on the buffet) or an omelette (ordered)....only one day, the eggs in the buffet were cold, the rest of the time we had no complaints what-so-ever....
There is a great selection of meats, smoked salmon, fruits, juices and breads...AND CHAMPGNE !......I cannot believe there are any complaints about breakfast......NO LINEUPS EVER !
If there is anything lacking ........
I would love to see an omelette station here.

Lunch was adequate, there was always buffet items to compliment the menu items, the menu did not change often, if at all, I am not sure as we ate at the pool grill as well.....service at lunch was always good.

Dinner here was my least favorite, but not bad....I personally did not enjoy the entertainment as much, the singer was a little loud and was offering cd's, not very professional.....
We did eat dinner here late again and the service was not good, I did talk with the manager about this also, we will see if it improves on our next visit.

Pool Grill....(lunch only)

We enjoyed every grilled lunch, chicken, pork, sausages, and both cooks were awesome ... my only suggestion would be to add more side dishes, they were definitely lacking....but many ordered sides from room service, the pool bar guys were always willing to order pizza and fries and brought them right to you....and quickly !.....those guys are fantastic !

Piano Bar...(Snacks and COFFEE all day)

wow....what can I say ....I started every day with a cappuccino with Ammareto ... I brought that to breakfast and when it was half gone I added a small expresso...then I did it again after breakfast on the way back to the room !
They have a variety of snacks here and evening entertainment, we didn't attend so I cant comment.

ROOM SERVICE (anytime)

I had 2 room service requests....Fries....mmmmm and fast !
and we missed dinner one night......I had the most amazing lobster in my room....it was there 20 minutes after I ordered it.

OVERALL RESTAURANT (FOOD)....

I never once experienced a rude employee in any food place or bar (or anywhere), I do find it hard to believe there is a rude employee at this resort, but we did not meet everyone, the staff always made my wife and I feel important and never EVER did I feel like I needed to tip, but I couldn't help myself most of the times, as I know they need and appreciate it !....
I believe the TWO, and only TWO all week, bad service experiences we had were a result of late reservations, .....the solution is to eat between 7 and 7 30 or do expect some slower attention......keep in mind....many of these employees are working 12 hour days with one day off per week !

POOLS......

The pools are beautiful, quiet, spotless, but shallow.....we spent as much time at the beaches as we could and rarely went to the pools, we went for salt water.

SPA.....

The spa is quiet, we did not use their services, we did not know that the hot tub was free....there are 2 hammocks and a gorgeous hot tub available, we used it once and were impressed, but the beach is where we wanted to be.

ROOMS.....

We were so impressed with our room, it was spacious, well layed out, spotless, and I loved our location !! We were in 1112....we could see the small north beach from our room, it was literally 50 feet from our balcony, down a small trail, we snorkeled every day, and this beach was perfect for it....the most number of people on this beach at any given time was no more than 12 !! we did not pay for ocean view, but this room was available, and given to us, they did not charge us one red cent (or peso)....I cannot say enough about the outdoor shower...except I now want one at home !......the jetted tub worked so well....strong jets clean water....my aching back from walks said THANKS !!! every day 15 minutes of jets on my lower back when i got up and I was set for the day.....the king size bed was comfortable....I ordered a feather pillow and it was there with the turn down maid that very night.
The soaps, shampoos, and lotions were very high quality a rarity in Cuba, from what I hear..... I have not read this anywhere, but it is well worth mentioning !!

Never ever ran out of toilet paper, not even close.

We had flat screen tv with satellite service (American, Canadian (French and English), and British channels....it worked well 90 % of the time, but did go down 2x

Other notables ..... walk in closet, great safe, bidet, great deck furniture.

MAID SERVICE

Our maid service was perfect, what more can I say, our room was always kept clean, never missed, never late.

Turn down service was offered every night, we never took it if we were in the room.

Mini bar was replenished every day without fail.

GENEREAL STAFF

We did not notice a rude individual anywhere, everyone at this resort was always working, and was always pleasant, whether it was grounds staff or delivery staff, they always said "olah" with a smile....and remember MANY have been working for HOURS !!!
I find it hard to believe anyone ever had issues getting water, we had 3 large bottles in our room most of the time....JUST ASK.....IF ITS THERE....YOU WILL BE GIVEN ..... ANYTHING YOU ASK FOR ....from beer, to wine, to champagne, to water !!

There is so much more I want to say, but I'm at 11000 characters already......but not until I talk about ..... our butlers

BUTLER SERVICE

I just cannot believe that anyone has issues with the butler staff....but I can only speak for Javier and Lucas ..... I did not have an issue ever getting a hold of these
guys ever !..... I have 1 story.....you judge the service...this is only a highlight of there daily service....

When we first arrived at the resort and walked down to the beach, I noticed some tables being set out with champagne..... I asked our butler about this and was told it was for newlyweds....no problem, what a great little touch......
On our last full day Javier spotted me alone in the morning on my way for coffee.... he reminded me of the query......he told me to bring my wife to the pier on the west beach at sunset during the beach serenade ...... when we arrived....he had set us up on the end of the pier under the roof, with chairs, a bottle of champagne on ice, flowers, and it was just us.....we felt like the most important people at that resort, this was above and beyond anything expected !!!.....THANK YOU LUCAS AN JAVIER

FINAL COMMENTS...........

you can make any resort what you want to make it......I have the deepest appreciation for this place and the services we received.....this place makes it pretty easy to make it 5 *......anyone can make it less, but if you want to....with their help and attentiveness you can feel on top of the world here....

15 Thank ray s
Melia B, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Ray S:
Yours has been one of the most touching and detailed reviews we have ever received from our guests over the past three years. We feel so much grateful for it! Acknowledging that our natural setting and facilities and most specially, our employees have made you feel this satisfied is indeed, a great reward to our daily efforts. We now feel even more motivated to keep up our work.
Of course we would be honored to have you back at Meliá Buenavista for another memorable holiday. Thanks again!
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Like many reviewers have already said it was quiet, well laid out and the staff were excellent. A special mention to our butler Gerardo who couldn't do enough for us. He went to a lot of effort to set up a romantic dinner in our room which we thoroughly enjoyed. I would also like to mention that the hotel manager was always seen around the hotel ensuring that guests were enjoying their stay. My wife and I have visited some of the best hotels in Cuba at least a dozen times but what seperates this hotel from the rest is the quality of service from the staff. We definitely will return again but for 2 weeks next time.

Room Tip: Prime Oceanview all the way!!!