stayed there from May 31 - June 7 2014. 2nd visit to this hotel and resort (first in 2012) and things have only got better since the first. Everything you read is true, fantastic staff, amazing service.
Hotel Manager is always available and said hello every night at dinner, as did the food and beverage manager. Food has improved since our first visit in 2012 (not that it was ever bad), we personally do not like sea food so found the selection a bit small, but when we asked for pasta even though it was not on the menu we got it with a big smile.
As everyone says the pool barman Orestes is a super hero - brings the drinks before you even sit down. The rest of the staff are all very nice and always have a smile.
I am not going to repeat the many descriptions of the facilities, but I have read many of them and can say they are all true.
Other changes since 2012 that we noticed:
1) night time entertainment was much better, there was always a band, choir, or dancing to watch at about 9:30pm
2) FREE Wi-Fi - yes, that's not a typo, free Wi-Fi in the lobby and we were told they are working on expanding it to the bar and rooms. Internet is slow, but for checking email it worked well
3) Sunset beach has more seating and a new pier and deck
Other: No more beer available on the bus from the airport, so buy it from the stands before you board.
We purchased package from Air Canada Vacations and they did a great job of looking after everything - all you have to do is get yourself to the airport in Canada, crack a beer and they do the rest.
So in summary, If you are looking for a quiet 5+ star resort you simply cannot go wrong, just book it the resort is amazing,
To everyone at Melia Buenavista, and to Juame, many thanks, fantastic week and see you next year
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located west of Cayo Santa Maria in a privileged ecological environment, and surrounded by beaches and coves. All-Inclusive five-star resort with 105 junior suites and suites, and the Villa "Zaida del Rio." Designed for adults over 18 years. An entire hotel featuring Royal Service. Recommended for couples, weddings, honeymoons and wellness/spa. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Melia Buenavista Hotel Cayo Santa Maria