“Fantastic - just go!”
Review of Melia Buenavista

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Buenavista
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 8 June 2014

stayed there from May 31 - June 7 2014. 2nd visit to this hotel and resort (first in 2012) and things have only got better since the first. Everything you read is true, fantastic staff, amazing service.

Hotel Manager is always available and said hello every night at dinner, as did the food and beverage manager. Food has improved since our first visit in 2012 (not that it was ever bad), we personally do not like sea food so found the selection a bit small, but when we asked for pasta even though it was not on the menu we got it with a big smile.

As everyone says the pool barman Orestes is a super hero - brings the drinks before you even sit down. The rest of the staff are all very nice and always have a smile.

I am not going to repeat the many descriptions of the facilities, but I have read many of them and can say they are all true.

Other changes since 2012 that we noticed:
1) night time entertainment was much better, there was always a band, choir, or dancing to watch at about 9:30pm
2) FREE Wi-Fi - yes, that's not a typo, free Wi-Fi in the lobby and we were told they are working on expanding it to the bar and rooms. Internet is slow, but for checking email it worked well
3) Sunset beach has more seating and a new pier and deck

Other: No more beer available on the bus from the airport, so buy it from the stands before you board.

We purchased package from Air Canada Vacations and they did a great job of looking after everything - all you have to do is get yourself to the airport in Canada, crack a beer and they do the rest.

So in summary, If you are looking for a quiet 5+ star resort you simply cannot go wrong, just book it the resort is amazing,

To everyone at Melia Buenavista, and to Juame, many thanks, fantastic week and see you next year

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
Melia B, General Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Mark S

Thank you so much for choosing Melia Buenavista over and over. We certainly hope to keep counting on your preference. Knowing our resort better than any other guest your comments and suggestions are a valuable guide in our daily efforts towards our customer’s full satisfaction. We would alike to thank you for pointing out all the aspects we have improved in; although there are always a lot of things to do; our layout for achieving the full gust´s satisfaction is never ending as we work in order to address every client expectations. We will transmit your comment to our staff as to keep them committed to keep on working as professionally as they do.
We hope you next vacation at our premises will be even more pleasant. See you next year!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,723)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My week at the Buenevista was my first experience at an all inclusive resort. I was there with a friend who needed some R&R, I would say that was accomplished and more. It was the staff who made us fall in love with Cuba and all that the resort had to offer. I can't say enough about our butlers, maids and servers, they are all very special people and who were kind, loving and so sweet and caring. We loved the resort and all it had to offer but it would be nothing without all the incredible, warm and hard working people who work there. My comments apply not only to the people who served us but also to the management, the spa staff and to the men who were keeping the grounds looking beautiful.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor, therefore no view of the ocean, however we could walk out our door...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear friends from Prince Georges, Canada:
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience at Meliá Buenavista. It feels really good to receive such nice comments regarding our services and most of all, our staff. We are glad you felt like home due to the personalized treatment received from our employees.
We hope you honor us with another opportunity to serve you and offer you another memorable holiday.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Because I haven't left , I have been to the melia buenavista more times than I have been home in Toronto. My husband and I go because we feel like it is our second home, From the Beautiful ladies at the front desk to the Goofs behind the Bar (Orestes and Osmany ), The gardeners are sweet and fantastic,Grill chefs, Chambermaids, Snorkel guys, They all make you feel like family. This is not your typical Cuban resort and it really shows. We have even kept in touch with many people we have met at this resort and we all agree that we are blessed to have found a place like this. Navy,Orestes and Osmany , thank you for being my bodyguards this week, Jiame , You are a fantastic General Manager and you should be extremely proud of yourself and your staff.

I have been to this resort 7 times, it will not be my last ( as some people have been there 8-9 times and plan on beating them)

Looking Forward to planning a repeat guest week in Nov , if anyone is interested , let me know

Room Tip: The VIP in the airport is fantastic and quiet, The Food is Great but feel free to bring your own Fra...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikazukowski

Dear Mikazukowski,
Words can not express how proud we feel at receiving your comments. We are flattered by your review which highlights our services and the warm and joyful way guests are treated by our staff. We certainly consider our employees our strongest point since it is them who actually make the difference. You make us feel really proud by assuring, so enthusiastically, that you will be back to MBV.
We heartily thank your praising words which will definitively cause a positive impact in our potential guests reading you. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back for another vacation in your new home away from home.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I can not stress how wonderful a place this is! Best vacation EVER! My husband and I just came back from 2 weeks of absolute bliss and I would go back to this resort again in a neartbeat. We went down to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversay and we were treated like royalty. I cannot say enough about the hospitality. The grounds were impeccable and handicapped accessible, the staff were all friendly, the food was delicious (no buffets, everthing made fresh to order), the spa was magnificant, the room was spacious. At night there is a piano bar, a choice of 3 restaurants with a varying menu every time, the champagne flowed like water,there were 2 pools and 3 beaches, there was 24 hour room service as well as personalized butler service, which is not something we are accustomed to. The owner took special care of his guests and his care was much appreciated. Viva Cuba!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second level overlooking the ocean. Really, there was not any room that did not hav...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank laura p

Dear Laura P,

It has been a pleasure indeed to receive such a nice comment. It feels very rewarding to acknowledge you have been satisfied with our service up to the point of ranking us as the best hotel visited in Cuba. We will definitively keep on working with the same spirit hoping that many other guests may get your same impression.
It would be very nice to have you back in MBV so you may enjoy all the privileges of our Royal Service.
Thank you for your contribution.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

First off, my wife and I are middle aged and missed Plant by approx. 90 days. Our trip was from May 17th through till 31st - 14 days. We initially stayed at the Melia Las Dunas - approx. 4-6 kms from it's brother Resort -Melia Buenavista. My wife,who uses a cane due to MS found it extremely difficult to get around at Las Dunas and as a result, we elected to transfer - for approx. 50 pp per day, to Melia Buenavista.This Resort is definitely 5 star caliber, and we can compare this little Gem to some Resorts we have stayed at throughout the Caribbean i.e The Grenadine's, Antigua, Aruba, Barbado's, Turks, etc. This magnificent Cuban Resort is an adults only, and caters to the physically disabled with it's wheelchair accessibility. Although we did not see anyone that was wheelchair handicap during our 14 days here, it was great to see the ramps and door accessibilities for those who require assistance.
Instead of rambling I will categorize below;

Service: Excellent service throughout the Resort. They have a Butler Service 24/7 - meaning 2 personal Butlers who look after all your requests during your entire stay - free...i.e if you want breakfast in bed, a bottle of Champagne and orange juice, supper delivered to your room, need your Butler to unpack for you, run a bubble bath to relax in after supper or prior to bedtime..just ask and they will deliver...I would like to give a special shout out to our personal Butlers, Eldon and Geraldo...great job guys.. totally Professional services....and a special thanks to Jaunna and his wife, who ensures the ship is sailing straight and both are extremely hospitable as they take time to address all occupants of the Resort on a regular basis - this couple is the Real Deal. The front desk/Bank gets props also...

Value: What can I say other than if you are looking for that personal touch where the staff members know your name - most of them - this place gives you bang for your buck. Even though we transferred Hotels - $1400.00 2 ppl 14 days - we are so greatful we did. you can go to a place like the Las Dunas and stand in line for a half hr for an omelet, or sleep in and just catch breakfast 15 mins before they shut down only to find over cooked food, all the bacon gone etc . whereas at any point in time you are hungry, just asked your Butler irregardless of what time it is, and low and behold, presto, they deliver. Pay the extra, you will not be disappointed...

Sleep Quality: With our screen door opened during the night as the warm air and sounds of the Ocean invading our senses. Going to sleep was never a problem. The only issue really is that I found the beds to be a little firm for my likings. But with the clean crisp linen provided by the Maids on a daily basis, we really couldn't complain. Oh. almost forgot....They have a pillow menu that you can order through - see Butlers - not 1 or the other - a menu that has at least 8 or more different styles....we had the best sleeps....ahhhhhh

Cleanliness: Man, this place is spotless. you have the usual i.e beds made, cute towel formations, et al...but the grounds are manicured daily, hedges trimmed by Professionals, both Pools sparkling, 4 Beaches attended to...if you have OCD, or a clean freak, no worries, and you'll reach that conclusion immediately when you step into the Lobby...

Location: Well this is a catch 22, because the drag is it's an hr and a half from the Airport but, you really wouldn't know it since the Bus Ride goes relatively quick as a Guide will entertain you with a bit of History along the way, via microphone. On the other hand, you are in the middle of Paradise once you get there. This Resort boasts 4 Beaches, beautiful panoramic views, walk out boardwalks hovering over the neon waters. Life guards are always present and will approach you on whether or not you want to do a bit of snorkeling, free...don't have snorkel gear, no problem, they do. There is a Bus that comes every hr if you want to head to the Plaza to get some Cohiba's or little trinkets to take home.

Rooms: Well, I'll tell you one thing. I felt like a Rock Star when I walked into our room. Very spacious, Jacuzzi tub, Bidet, Fridge stocked daily, 2 tiers, outside and inside personal showers, walkin closets, ironing boards, hair dryers, air con, ceiling fans, flat screen - approx. 10 - 12 English Stations, a couple French....2 levels to reside, Garden or Second floor...

Food: The food quality and quantity is second to none. Yes they have menus but you can order off the menu at anytime. The Chef is very particular about presentation and quality. Probably the best Risotto we've ever tasted. The Lobster was fantastic as were the Shrimp, Pasta, all foods for that matter. Whatever you're into, you can get it anytime and as much as your little heart desires. Everything is made fresh daily as we have seen the kitchen staff throw out freshly made uneaten Salads, platters of different meats etc after each Service....Salads were very crispy, and a large variety of foods /appetizers are on display for your likings. Steaks are not 3 -4 in thick, but tasty just as well. The Chef prepared a personal lunch for us with the best Risotto we ever tasted...ever...

Beverages: Lmao...you name it, they have it - within reason -If you want to have Mimosas all day, no problem...If you want your own private bottle of Champagne, yep, you got it, no problem.You want more Rum in your drink, well, I think you get the picture. If you're hanging out at one of the Beaches or Pools, don't burn to many calories, the Bar Boys will be at your service with a tray of whatever you want every 10 to 15 mins.

Spa: The Spa was the most relaxing of the entire trip. I found the his and her's body and facial combo a bit pricey but they have a variety of different treatments avail at reasonable prices. If I recall correctly, the times vary anywhere's from 20 mins to 120 mins. They boast a Vapor Service for free, daily if you wish, that includes a couple of Steam Rms, Sauna, an oversized Fountain like Jacuzzi, Hammock's, Café style table and chairs, a Gym for workouts/running etc...All located close to a Beach and has privacy written all over it...The Spa is in an enclosed area where all you hear are the Birds chirping...Oh and by the way, the massage was great ....

Room Tip: At this Resort, from the farthest room on the Resort to the other end will take you maximo 10 mins...
4  Thank Braedail

Dear Braedail,
It has been a great pleasure to receive your lively review describing your recent stay at Melia Buenavista. We feel honored to acknowledge your experience has been so memorable. It is really incredible the way in which you have been able of describing each and every service you received; what a treat!
Thank you for all your compliments and also, for the good advertisement they mean for our destination. We are very proud you highlighted the butler´s work and the treatment you received at the SPA; those are the relaxing moments most of people come looking for and should be reminded for the rest of our lives.
We hope this had not been your last visit to MBV where we will always be very glad to welcome you and provide you some relaxing and enjoyable vacations.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Buenavista is a very small resort, like a boutique resort setting. But it has all the amenities and more that you will need if you are just looking to kick back, relax and unwind. If you are looking for an upbeat and place to party this is not the resort for you. But it is more than certainly the resort for me......Most of its clientele are middle aged and couples. There is a great mix of people from around the world and we were always meeting fantastic new people. Wish we all lived on the same block back home.....lol...
The room is definitely a 5 star room and is very well kept. The outdoor shower is awesome, and the beds were comfy. We were down by the Sunset Beach, which made for a great view as well as being able to listen to the sax player from our room when getting ready for dinner if we didn't make it to the beach. By the way, you want to make sure that you make one or two of your reservations later for dinner so that you can go to sunset on the beach. It is an awesome touch!!!!
I have to comment on our butler (concierge) Joel. He was absolutely fantastic (and not hard on the eyes either....dont tell my husband....) We had some issues our first day, and he went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy. He always made sure to find us to see how we were and if we needed anything. We had wine brought to our room by him and on our second last night which was his last night with us we came back from a "very busy" day at the pool and he surprised us with a bubble bath with petals. there was also a bottle of wine and some snacks. We had not requested this, he just did it on his own. It was very much appreciated. He was even there to say goodbye to us when we left at 6:30 in the morning.
Overall, the staff were excellent. The guys at the pool were outstanding. They were always there for you and knew what you wanted. There was always a smile. In regards to getting chairs, i have to say that this is the first time ever that we have not had to get up early to get chairs. People at this resort seem to respect others. They didn't reserve chairs for the whole day and not use them. The pool was kept very clean as well as the beaches. I can't talk about the pool if I dont mention the lunch grill at the pool. I wish I could remember the chefs name, but lets just say he was awesome!!! Very friendly and man did he work hard. Not just doing all the fantastic cooking, but the setting up and cleaning afterwards. The last few days we were there they brought around fresh fruit kabobs in the afternoon and ice-cream cones later in the day. These are nice touches that should be continued.
Overall, the food was quite good. My biggest complaint is the lack of choices. But that is expected in Cuba and in a smaller resort you can't have too many options or the staff will not be able to prepare it to their standards, possibly making service times longer. Overall there were never any issues with the dining other than our first day, which I stated earlier had been handled. If I could give any feedback, it would be towards breakfast. A few of the staff in this restaurant seemed less experienced than others. I think you would do better to do either buffet or a la carte Trying to do both doesn't seem to me to work well. If you set up stations like an omelette station would probably be better. And then maybe you could offer things like a fresh yogurt or oatmeal station. The breakfast process was probably my least favorite and usually that is the one meal that I love at all inclusive resorts
Free Wifi is available in the lobby. It may not be fast, but it is the only resort that offers this. So free is good. And anyhow, I was hoping to not have any as it is the only way to really relax. But it was a nice perk.
Overall, this resort was an excellent getaway, and I have to commend the General Manager of this resort. he is always seen and available to his guests. If you compliment him on his operations, the response is that it is his staff that are to be commended. This speaks highly of a great manager. You can't manage all those people without having great people skills yourself. One of the reasons that I chose this resort was because of all of the positive reviews about him. And he answers every review. This tells me how passionate he his for his resort and his guests.
My husband and I have yet to return to the same place for our vacations, however you may have won our hearts and may see us again

Room Tip: Building 7 8 and 9 are right on the Sunset Beach. I was in 5, but still had a nice view, however di...
2  Thank Cheryl P
Melia B, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Cheryl P,
We have very much enjoyed reading your review. We heartily appreciate your taking the time to describe your whole experience at Melia Buenavista in details and also, your having praised our staff and facilities in such a touching way. Thank you so much.
Thank you for all your kind words and the good promotion we may get from them.
We hope to receive you again for another memorable vacation.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel is one of the nicest we have stayed in, particularly for snorkeling, relaxing, and superior service by far. Our two butlers were everything you could ever want. They were attentive without being intrusive. They helped daily with everything from dinner reservations, pillow service and special celebrations such as Valentines and our 33rd Anniversary. We loved the gym, it was small and yet had what we needed to work out.. The spa was nice as well. We will go back.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with your room selection. It is a small resort. Every area has it's posit...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melia B, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear SnowBirdsNL,
We are so proud to have inspired your review! It is really rewarding to be recognized for our personalized service and professionalism, two aspects we really work hard on to assure our employees’ performance and attitude are the best possible. We also appreciate you chose our resort to celebrate Valentine’s Day and your 33rd anniversary.
It is great that you have shared your experience with our potential travelers. They will surely benefit from it, just like you did before.
We will be honored to welcome you at MBV in the near future for another memorable holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!