“Great Place for Sun and Sand!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Paraiso Beach Resort

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Great Place for Sun and Sand!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Spent a week at this resort from Feb 21-28. First time in Cuba, I was looking for a last minute inexpensive trip but was convinced by the local travel agent in town to come to Memories. We spent an extra $10 per person for the Diamond Club, which was definitely worth it! We were greeted at the airport by the Diamond rep, got our room key cards and bracelets on the long but fun bus-ride to the resort (there were only 3 other couples on the Diamond bus with us, very nice!). Bought some beer on the bus, but there was no washroom, so a pit-stop at a gas station in Remeidos was required. TIP - ladies, it's "buy a slice" of toilet paper, which is problematic, since you likely don't have any Pesos yet. Bring a napkin!

We arrived and went to the Diamond lounge, where we were upgraded to Unit 52 in Azul (originally 53). Check in was quick and painless in the Diamond lounge, and while we did have to leave our passports, we picked them up again later from the Front Desk. We were a little unsure of what extra perks we had with the Diamond Club, so don't be afraid to ask if you don't know.

Room was fine, no issues with the amenities, although it was a bit random with the minibar being stocked daily - some days we'd receive one beer and three pop (should have been 2 beers, 2 pops), but always had fresh water (1.5 litres). TIP - we learned from another couple we met to tip the guy who re-stocks the fridge - it is not the maid service that does this - they tipped the first day and always received plenty of alcohol for the room. Flag him down in the afternoon, if you want the extra drinks (not really needed, though, as there are plenty of drinks available always throughout the resort.) The room was equipped with a ceiling fan, but it didn't work (likely just decoration). It was difficult finding the sweet spot for the room temperature, usually woke up too cold by 3:00 AM. The ceiling fan would have been perfect to move the air around. Bed was huge, a bit hard but no worries. Great view of the pool from 5270, 3rd floor. Probably the best room in the resort would be 5269 or 5267 with their beach views.

The food - neither of us had any issues with the food. There was always lots to eat, nice choices. A bit bland, next time I would bring some black pepper with me, they only had white pepper. Maybe a small bottle of hot sauce. However, while we had no issues, it is not Canadian or American style, so be prepared for some different tastes and textures. Burgers at the beach were excellent - beef, chicken or pork (made with a panini press!) Burgers at the Family Pool were cooked over charcoal and had bacon one day, also very good. Burgers at the Azul Pool were ok, but the chef was fantastic, very personable and fun! People might think, "Burgers? I'm at an all-inclusive, I don't want burgers!". But they were nice if you had a late breakfast or wanted a little snack.

The alcohol - people suggest you bring your own mug or Bubba keg, and I scoffed at this at first, but realize now that it makes sense. The draft beer they offer is served in small flimsy plastic cups that hold about half of a small can. Enough for about three swallows, so if you like your beer you are always out, if you use their cups. I started having them fill my 800 ml water bottle, but it's not insulated and warmed up quickly. I'd suggest one of those clear insulated cups with the straws and the lids and will bring one myself next time. I'm not into the mixed drinks, but did try a Mojito, it was great. Cristal beer is very refreshing 4.5%, Bucanero was also good, 5.4%. Diamond Club brings the perk of top-shelf liquor at the Lobby Bar, so there was Jameson, Chivas. One day at the Azul Pool they ran out of Canadian Whisky and served Jameson instead, Diamond or no Diamond. Booze carts in the afternoons along the walkways, you were never short on drinks at any time.

The beach - Beautiful! Clean, sandy, spectacular, not too busy, perfect. We found shade every time we went and did not try to reserve our spots early in the morning. This "reserving" is very frustrating and should not be allowed. One day we saw a whole palapa go unused for the entire day, someone had "reserved" it but didn't show. We all deserve to use the facilities, we all paid our $$. If your chair goes unused for an hour, it should be up for grabs. The Diamond palapas typically had room for four loungers (tight but shade nonetheless) - we usually squeezed in and it was always ok. Weather was perfect!

We did the Swimming with the Dolphins Catamaran trip, our bus had a flat tire on the way to the marina and had to unload most of the passengers to make it there. No worries, we were a little late but as a result our Catamaran was only about half full, lots of room to move around. Snorkeling was nice, dolphin experience was ok. TIP - you can't take pictures or video of your dolphin experience, they try to sell you professional photos or videos. If you are a couple, don't go in together if possible, then one can film or shoot the other from the railing. Lots of alcohol on the boat, beautiful scenery, a fun party day if a bit expensive ($103 pesos each!). I found travelling on the water that the shoreline looked a lot like any lake in Muskoka. Cuban vegetation is not very exotic, and the water was darker. The stop at the beach was beautiful. Crew were fantastic guys!

We also did the Cuban Festival ($20 pesos per person), and it was fun, although a bit late for us older folks! It's supposed to start at 10PM, but didn't really start until after 11PM. Once the parade finished we didn't hang around too long.

We were going to rent scooters, but there really wasn't anywhere to ride that would have been interesting.

Some other random observations:

- there is supposed to be WiFi in the Azul Lobby. It costs $6 pesos for 30 minutes. I was going to use it to Skype home, but it was not working the day I wanted. Phone service to Canada is $2.50 pesos per minute. I found this frustrating as I wanted to touch base with the kids back home. I ended up sending the occasional text message ($.75 per message from Rogers). I would recommend you get an add-on from your provider if possible if you want to phone home, don't rely on their service.

- the banker in the Azul lobby shorted us 2 pesos when we had Canadian $ converted over. He did a little thing when he counted out the coins at the end, which I didn't see but my partner did. We should have counted the coins back in front of him, and I didn't really care too much, but it was the principle.

- the staff everywhere were fantastic, very polite and friendly, and hard working. It's easy to over tip and it does become expensive, so tip wisely (but as much as you can).

- I would skip the a la carte meals, they aren't worth it unless you get overwhelmed with the noise at the buffet. The food is the same as the buffet and the service is a bit slow. A waste of time, in my opinion. Definitely avoid the Seafood a la carte, it was really poor.

- the Azul pool is a great place to hang out if/when you get tired of the beach. Never really busy or noisy.

- the patio at the Lobby Bar was a great place to hang out in between the beach/pool and waiting for the Buffet to open.

- we upgraded to the VIP Lounge through Sunwing on the day before we left. It was an extra $25 pesos per person, but turned out to be worth it.

The morning we left was early, but again being Diamond Club we boarded a private bus with 4 couples and went to the Airport. Check-in was quick with the VIP lounge, and Security was also quick. TIP - no lighters or liquids/perfumes in your carry on luggage. The VIP lounge was small and not quite as luxurious as you might think, but there was free alcohol and sandwiches & snacks, as well as couches and air conditioning. Our flight ended up being delayed, 1 hour in Toronto because of the cold, and then the plane was diverted to Varadero just before it landed as there was a rainstorm. So we spent four hours in the airport, but in the VIP, so it was comfortable. We also got to board the plane first.

A great vacation, for your basic sun and sand, drink and food. No surprises, nothing too exotic, but no complaints. I would go again and recommend this resort. Definitely do the Diamond Club if you can, the little perks are worth it. Cheers!

Room Tip: Unit 52 and 53 has the best location, but they might be reserved for Diamond Club members only. Nex...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kelly C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,898)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

first time in cuba. Beach is absolutely fabulous. The hotel is not a 4.5 stars; 3 stars at the most. The rooms are not too clean(lizards in the room, cockroaches). I don't think they changed the beds at all during the week. Food is ok. Most of the staff is nice. I would not recommand this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica L
General M, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Hello Jessica,

First of all I want to thank you for give us your opinion in trip advisor. We were reading carefully all your review and let me tell you we are sincerely disagree with the situation you described in regards the ckeaning of the rooms and the hotel standard.

Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our first time staying at a memories chain and in Santa Maria, we will gladly go back. The resort was beautiful and the staff was great, the guys at the pool and beach were amazing and very funny, loved the beach it is the most beautiful we have ever seen. The over trip was one of the best. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Buildings 52-57 are the closes to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Firts
Hello Firts,

thank you for your review, we are happy to hear that you had such a great time in our beautifull Memories paraiso Azul Beach Resort and that our great Staff was servicing you so well.

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from a week at Memories Azul Sta Maria. No bad comments as well. Buffet and restaurants are very good....we are in Cuba. As all other Sta Maria Hotel, the beach is wonderful. About the pool, the quality of the water was poor during the week (not clear and slippy). The entertainment group is excellent. Always something to play even if you are at the beach or pool side. Our room was always clean with new towels all days. The only negative experience was about water in bathroom and restroom on the site for the 3 last days. Hot water was missing for showers. Every morning, they cut off the water for about 4 to 5 hours. So not a good time to use toilet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Martin L
Hello Martin,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry that you had an water issue experience during your stay in our resort, but it’s not usually for our resort. I apologize to you.

But I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Buffets and Restaurants, the excellent entertainment and our beach with powder white sand and crystal clear water.

We thank you for choosing the Memories Paraiso Azul Cayo Santa Maria.
We are looking forward to welcoming and servicing you and your husband soon again.

Oliver Suárez Cronauer
Gravenhurst
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Got back from Cuba Friday March 14th after spending a wonderful week at Memories. I upgraded hubby and myself to Diamond Club so when we got off the bus we were greeted by a gentleman holding a sign that said Diamond Club. Once we were all together he led us to a separate lounge where we received a refreshing non-alcoholic drink and a canape. We were introduced to the other members of the diamond club team and some of the perks were explained.

After this we were lead to our rooms. This is where I had my first shock. As we entered "Yikes! Horror! Two single beds separated by a very large night stand" Now I knew this was not what I had booked with my travel agent. It was supposed to be a oceanview king bed. We did have an oceanview sort of - You had stand on the balcony and look over to the left and it was there. Our Diamond Club rep said that he would go to reception as soon as he got the rest of the arrivals to their rooms. He did come back after talking to reception which had nothing available at that time. He told us he would check later in the day and if nothing was open would get housekeeping to put the beds together and he would try to get us the king room the next day. No new room that day but the next one brought about a new room with one king size bed with a terrific ocean view but an empty mini-bar. Now this would not be too bad but both my husband and myself to medication. I can't dry swallow my pills. When the front desk called to ask how we like our room my husband said that we loved by explained about the mini bar and was told that it would be taken care of immediately.

We went to supper and came back to a mini bar that was still empty so my husband went to the lobby bar to beg for a bottle of water which they handed over and told him that they would have someone deal with the mini bar situation. We turned the lights out about 10pm with a still empty mini-bar. The next day we decided that we were going to book ourselves a massage. I asked Alexis at the Diamond Club who I should talk to about the mini bar situation and he said them. I think it was dealt with before we even left the lounge and we didn't have another problem with it.

The only other negative that I would have is the fact that they have a separte area at the beach for Diamond Club members but unless you get your towels or something down there at sunrise you have no chance at getting shade. I went down one morning at 7:45 and the only available shade was with the life guards who were kind enough to let me sit with them.

For me it is the people who make the trip enjoyable or not. There were so many during this stay that I couldn't begin to name them all. All the diamond club staff for sure, the wait staff at the buffet were wonderful. the lifeguards at the beach that allowed me to share their shade and so many others.

I think the beach at Memories rivals the beach at Varadaro in regards to how far out you can walk before it gets deep. The sand is a little coarser and not as white at Cayo Santa Maria. I enjoyed the fact that the area is built up like Varadaro. Would go back to this resort- Yes. This resort does need some TLC and maintenance. It is looking tired and old.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GravenhurstDorri
Hello Gravenhurst,

First of all I want to thank you for give us your opinion in trip advisor. We were reading carefully all your review and let me tell you, we have allready made some improvements that i liked to show you by the next time you visit our Resort.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was absolutely the worst vacation of my life!!

The service was awful from the moment we arrived! Nobody greeted us or helped us or helped us with our bags and we had to wait more than 2 hours for our room!

The bar fridge in our room was never stocked and when we complained, we were told to call room service if we need something - but a stalked fridge was included in our package and I should not be forced to call and tip someone every time I want something!

The next day I was given my cava to drink out of a plastic cup - because I might steal the glass! Highly offensive but when management was adivsed, they did nothing.

We were refused our reservation in the a la carte restaurant and after complaining to the manager, put us in a different and promised to provide us with a special champaign breakfast but the next morning he showed up late and had nothing for us except his update on the problem that occured the previous night.

Then, we were accused by the maid of stealing the iron from the room - as we were leaving to check out.

This is really a 3.5 star property at best, based on what they actually provice. But to be accused of being a thief took BAD to a new level. When I complained to the General Manager of Azul, Edgar Ortiz, he assured me he would take care of everything and would contact me the next day on a cuban cell number or by email because I had to go to the agency I booked my trip at in Cuba to make my complaint and request compensation The next day however, Edgar was not available all day and never ever contacted me or the travel agent again. The hotel General Manager Hyme (sp?) was not available either. Someone working in the office(Elizabeth) finally got involved and said she would email her compensation offer to my cuban travel agent for me to accept or reject, but she never sent the email and never was to be heard from again!!

The customer service staff from this hotel actually told us that the management of the hotel does not care and take complaints like this every day but they never do anything about them!!

Honest, I have never been treated so poorly and I would not stay here again, even if it was offered free!

Room Tip: Never mind which room... Chose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank MAMMMASITA
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from a week at Memories Resort on Cayo Santa Maria. This was our eighth time in Cuba, and our first time in Cayo Santa Maria. Highlight by far is the beach and the water. The resort is situated at the east end of a 5 km stretch of beautiful fine white sand beach that is fairly wide and the water relatively shallow. Fun snorkelling off the rocky point at east end of beach with a variety of fish to see. The resort is vary large compared to others we have stayed at and is divided into two halves; Azul and Paraiso. Although large, the resort is well spaced out and does not feel crowded. The resort waterfront is probably 500m or longer. We stayed in Unit 52 on the 3rd floor with a beautiful ocean view that was well worth the extra cost. Room was clean and functional.

Staff were friendly and helpful. A nice feature was beach towels supplied in the room upon arrival, instead of needing to chase them down at the pool. Also when boarding the bus at the airport, we were provided with room keys and info package about the resort. As such, when we arrived (almost 2 hour bus ride to resort), we did not wait in line at the lobby to check in - it was all pre-arranged so that we could go immediately to our room, get changed and start exploring the resort. Our luggage was delivered to the room without any hassle. A nice touch that we appreciated.

The buffet food was typical for Cuba. Lots to choose from, however some selections varied daily e.g., nice grapefruit not always available. Bottom line is that we had no issues with the food. We tried the Italian a la carte (good food and service), Mediterano (also good f&s) and Seafood at neighbouring pueblo (ok food, poor service, staff seemed unmotivated).

The resort overall is a bit tired, in need of some "touch ups" but fairly clean and pleasant. As an example, the stone walkway paths to the beach are in need of repairs, and are actually a tripping/toe-stubbing hazard. We lost water pressure in our unit on one day, but it was restored by evening, so was not a real issue for us. We talked to other guests who had more lengthy losses of water supply to the their rooms lasting more than one day, which did present an issue. Some linens and towels, sheets and tablecloths are worn and stained, in need to replacement.

An irritating aspect stemming from the size of the resort (~3000 guests) is an insufficient number of shaded spots at the beach and pools. Those who want a shaded spot must rise early and stake out lounges by putting towels or other personal items on them to "mark their territory". This is fairly common at other resorts we've stayed at, but I think the ratio of number of guests to available sites at this resort is too high.

Our holiday objective was to spend quality time at the beach. Taking into account all the positives and negatives, we felt that we obtained fair value for the price paid, and our beach experience was excellent. We've paid more at other Cuban resorts, and had more updated amenities and maybe slightly better food, but generally the food is much the same everywhere.

Room Tip: 3rd level ocean view was worth the small extra cost. Unit 52 is centrally located and beside pool...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Wally_DR
General M, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hello Wally,

Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 14 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,479 reviews

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!