“Don't waste your time or money”

Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Richmond, Canada
“Don't waste your time or money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have just returned from the worst week of my entire life. It was nothing short of a nightmare. From the moment I stepped off the plane to the second I left. When we arrived in Cuba, no one knew we were coming so when we finally sorted that out we had almost missed the 2 hour bus ride to our hotel. When we got to the hotel, no one was there to greet us and when we checked into the hotel at the front desk the woman was rude, didn't give us any information about the hotel or what was available and just pointed us in the general direction of our room. We got lost and when we finally found our room, which was a 10 minute walk away from the main area, it was gross. Cockroaches and ants were crawling on the floor and the walls, (which ended up being the case for every room) it smelled of mold, which we could see around the air conditioner, and the toilet didn't flush. We changed our room the next day and although our new room was right beside the beach, the air conditioning and the fan didn't work and we felt like we were going to die so we switched rooms again and in this one, the sliding door didn't lock so we didn't feel safe but they refused to move us again. The maid stole the pillow I brought and some clothing and hats. We retrieved the clothing but the rest was lost. The staff were extremely rude, uninformed, and not helpful at all (some servers and bartenders were kind but hardly any) the food was beyond terrible, which I expected, but even in the one restaurant they had (the other was shut down) it was not enjoyable at all. By the 3rd day I was trying desperately to find any way to get home but no one could help me or give me any information on how to get out of there. I would have taken any airline back to Toronto and just switched to an earlier flight to Vancouver. The air Canada rep kept telling me to call back, call back, call back, and when she finally talked to me, she had no answers, and gave me numbers for people and offices that didn't answer and when they did, they didn't know anything either. The wifi didn't ever work and they would not return the money we spent on the cards. I felt trapped, isolated and scared. Nothing worked at the hotel, the machine to exchange money didn't work, the visa machine didn't work and the phones in the room didn't work. This trip was supposed to be a treat for myself and my friend and as a single mother who works hard for her money, I feel like I wasted it on garbage. I paid $2300 to suffer at the hands of the staff. We went on a day trip to Havana and it was cool but really expensive and again, we were mislead and uninformed and the flights were delayed so we arrived back 5 hours later than expected and were basically starving by then. The beaches were beautiful and the water was gorgeous but it wasn't about where we were, it was the awful place where we stayed that made our experience so horrendous. When we checked out I didn't have money to pay for the 2 minute phone call that I made when I was begging and crying to the air Canada rep for help to get out of Cuba so the staff had security come and surround me and said I could not get on the bus or leave Cuba until I paid them 9cuc. I had to take it out of the 25cuc fee it costs to leave at the airport and exchange money for that there. I feel like we should get our money back for the entire week at that disgusting hotel and they threaten me for 9cuc!!! They should be ashamed. I felt threatened, harassed, scared, sick, sad, lost, violated, taken advantage of, and mislead. The package I bought was overpriced to begin with but ended up being a total rip off. I don't mind spending money on quality but this vacation didn't even come close to being acceptable. Please do NOT book with Sol Cayo. It is not in anyone's best interest to stay there. I'm really disappointed to be going home with such a terrible impression. I could go on and on about all the awful things that happened to us while we were there but I think you get it. I am honestly one of theast people to complain, I work in the service industry and realize how hard it is to please everybody but when people are upset I do everything I can to rectify the situation so that they leave satisfied and/or happy. I felt like since that hotel already had my money, they didn't care one bit about my happiness or comfort while I was there. I'm so relieved to be home but I feel that something needs to be done about this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Anne C
4Neo, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Anne C,
We are sorry to read your comments in regards of your stay with us; normally everyone always enjoys our resort very much. Please be sure that we work as hard as possible and we aim at delivering always the best possible experience to all of our dear guests.
Related to your comments of the possible presence of insects and some kind of bugs in your room, I would like to clarify that as you may surely know; our hotel is located in a reserved natural area, what implies the abiding of very rigorous regulations regarding the insect and animals control. We are not supposed to constantly pour chemicals into the environment since it would affect more species than the one we want to eliminate. That is why we should use some very specific, rather mild, products when the guests report that they have any insect in their room. After that the chambermaid sprays the whole room and does deep cleaning in all over the place.
Concerning your comments related to the maintenance issues in your room and in other areas of the hotel, I may say we are involved in a general renovation program in all our rooms and common areas that will give us our structural conditions back and I assure you our future clients may feel more comfortable.
Regarding to your comments about the quality and the variety of the food in all the restaurants I would like to inform you that I constantly interact with our guests, asking their opinions and suggestions about the services in general and I can assure you we made an analysis of all your comments and I should point out that we never received any report or complained about this matter, besides that I want you to know in the last few months, our client’s feedback has demonstrated trough the regular surveys their satisfaction on this aspect, nevertheless the Quality Control Questioners, filled out by the clients, shows the correct parameters related to the quality of the food and at the same time fully proved our guest’s satisfaction.
About your comments related to the Internet and Wi-Fi service, I would like to comment you sometimes very slow and the connection fails due to we are so far on the sea. In these cases our clients can ask for their money back or keep the ticket to try in other time. I´m really sorry if this situation causes you an inconvenience.

Lati Naimi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived July 13 and at first were impressed when we pulled into the lobby but it quickly fell appart from there. Here are some quick facts;
Front Loby:
-Front loby has little decorative areas set up which contain water. The water has gone a murky slimy green from not being cleaned and has old cups that have a green slime built up around them from being left in there for so long. Flies are using these areas as a breading ground and you will get attacked by flies.
- Electrical wires run directly into the water fall in the loby. Appears as though someone attempted a sloppy and increadibly unsafe job of repairing it.
- many light fixtures are broken (and appear to have been like that for a while) with elecrical wires exposed, some not even insulated. These fixtures can be found all over the front lobby and bar area right on the ground where a young child can easily touch it.
- the whole time we were there, broken decorative tiles around the water fall just lay there on the floor with no attemp to clean it up or fix it.
- a powered speaket is set up on the floor in the loby with the power cord cut off the end, wires twisted together and shoved into the socket. Again, very dangerous.

-the main pool around the bar was never cleaned the entire week we were there. The water had gone cloudy from all the drinks spilled in the pool and who knows what else. There was a blue hose that appeared to go into some pump machine at the pool which was unraveled and stayed there spread out in the pool for our last 4 days there.
-just behind the main pool there's a splash pad type of pool for kids that also has not been cleaned in some time and has many rocks, cracked sea shells and other sharp debris on the floor.

24 hr snack bar at the main pool
-the only snacks available there and that's if they haven't run out is a ham and cheese sandwich or a chicken sandwich that's made with chicken bits covered in mayo, kept in a fridge under the bar. They will scoop the chicken onto a bun and toss it onto a griddle. That's it. Nothing else.

- food safety non existent. Raw pork cooked right next to fully cooked beef on the grill/griddle. They will place a raw piece of pork down on the grill then use the same utensil to pick up anothet piece of meat that's ready and plop it on your plate
- ordered a shrimp appitizer at the Italian restaurant and what came was a martini glass with warm cocktail shrimp and warm mayo.
- vegetables look shriveled as though they've been left out in the warm air too long.
- green beens actually look grey
- the Italian restaurant "La Fontinella" is absolutely terrible. The food tastes terrible and the restaurant needs a good cleaning. Ants everywhere, including on the tables. White chair covers look as though they haven't been washed in weeks.
- stray cats are everywhere and in the buffet restaurant, they tend to sneak in. On one night we noticed cat feicies on the floor right by the dinner tables.
- non of the fruits look fresh at all with the exception of the papaya. Water mellon is all white with a trace of pink.

Every night at around 7:30pm, a pesticide truck rolls around the entire resort spraying massive white plums of pesticides regardless of who's in the immediate area.

The rooms look very "tired" and if your A/C happens to work, it's very loud. The slidding patio door had the handle broken off so the only way to open the door was to put your fingers into the metal hole on the door where the handle was and pull hard. To lock the door, they had a hole drilled out of the frame and left a little metal rod for us to stuff into it. None of the phones worked on our block at all and the front desk was a 10 minute walk through an unkempt walkway.

You're going to see some replies to posts on here from the management saying that its one of the oldest hotels on the island and that they are undergoing extensive renovations. There are NO RENOVATIONS GOING ON WHATSOEVER at this resort. Many of the issues that exist are basic and fundamental. No excuse at all. There's an obvious lack in pride of ownership on this property. The vegitation on the property is in desperate need of attention.

Don't fall for the "ocean view" room upgrade. It's not at all an ocean view. Between those rooms and the ocean is a vast area of vegetation that has been allowed to grow out of control. It truely is a jungle view, not ocean view.

The positives were that some of the staff were so nice and pleasant. Absolutely wonderful people. It's a shame that the owner's of this hotel don't take the same pride in their hotel as some of their staff take in serving their guests.
The beach is beautiful but on sone days you will find sea weed everywhere.

The nightly entertainment was actually surpisingly good with the highlight for us being the comedy show.

I've already listed way more info than I thought I would on here but please feel free to email me for any more info. Don't book this place. The 4* rating is a massive mistepresentation if not out right fraud. It's truely barely a 1*.

Nelson
nello992002@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2014
13 Thank nello992002
Dear nello992002,
Thank you for taking the time in writing us a review of your stay in our Trip Advisor community. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service we put a great interest in our clients comments as their perceptions are the most important to us as this is the only way to know what specific points we must focus our attention, due to our intention is always to improve our services, so your comments help us in this purpose, besides that I would like to offer my most sincere apologies if we couldn´t satisfy all your expectations.
Related to your comments about the dirt on the tiles and pool areas let me clarify that the paving around our pool, is made of rough slabs antiskid (not smooth) besides that, this is an area not covered by a large dimension which can bring these areas result in an area not immaculately clean. Nevertheless there is a cleanup plan is developed daily by employees working at pools and is checked with great rigor by the supervisor of the Hotel.

I may understand your expectations were not fulfilled That is why I reiterate you our apologies and we hope that you will visit us again and offer us the possibility to showing you keep on trusting in our Hotel and in our Company.

Travellers are raving about these Cayo Santa Maria hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Touristic, too expensive, bad service, very very very bad food!

We wanted to have some relaxing days at an all-in resort. The first impression of the hotel was good. When we walked to our appartment, we smelt a strange air (vomit). The room was a bit dusty and the airco didn't work properly.
We went to the pool and ordered some cocktails. These were made of cheap rum and other chemical substances. So we tried the cocktails at the beach which were the same. The beach was beautiful.
The dinner was in a big hall. Not cosy at all. There was a lot choice in different kinds of food, but it was all not cooked very well. The taste was very bad.
We wanted to stay for some nights here, but after a long discussion with the reception, we could cancel the other nights. After one terrible day, we went back to the casa particulares. After our visit to the resort, wealso got traveler's disease.

Room Tip: Book a very very expensive resort at the cayo, or stay at the north beach of Cuba in a casa particul...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank K H
4Neo, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear K H
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us on Trip Advisor which we will take in the highest consideration.
Regarding your comments we are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfil your expectations regarding our services and facilities, we must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning our hotel, services and facilities has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our surveys.
We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to all of the managers involved of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.
We sincerely would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Sol Cayo santa María to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best Regards,

Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Overpriced - felt like a prison with appalling customer service
This review has been shortened and edited. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.
I have a hard time leaving behind a bad review unless it is absolutely warranted. It could very well be the time of year we went… the place was empty with just a few guests from Canada, some from various parts of south America and then mostly Cubans on vacation – but we simply did not enjoy this place one bit. I’ve been to Cuba 5 times and know what to expect so going to this place and paying the most ever (180$ more per person) than any other place that we went to and reading it’s good reviews along with its 4 star rating, we were sadly and extremely disappointed.
As with my other reviews, I’ll try to remain focussed on facts first and not biased personal opinions, but I will let you the reader decide if you want to read past the first section of facts and read about my experience. If the hotel staff chooses to respond then be aware that they are probably going to be on the defensive.
THE BAD…
The hotel is not very well maintained – as compared to many other hotels I’ve stayed at and visited in Cuba. This was to be a 4 star and I’ve been to 3 stars that have better manicured lawns. This place is overgrown with trees and brush that harvest mosquitos like no other place! Don’t’ believe me… go and then take a walk into the resort next door since they are connected. Walk past building 6000 and you will enter a paradise as compared to the SOL.
Did I mention MOSQUITOS! Holy crap – they are EVERYWHERE! So much so that they closed down the only nice restaurant which is actually an outdoors restaurant and then only have one left open per day which doubles as an Italian and Cuban on different days.
The beach is NOT cleaned – EVER. Not that we ever noticed. Seaweed is everywhere as well as left over garbage from guests. Too bad- because it is a beautiful beach. The water however is not as calm as what you will find in Varadero or Cayo Coco. Be warned that this is not always a safe place to swim. You can read similar reviews on this site about the beach water and waves.
The buildings are run down and the beds are not super comfortable but they are acceptable unless you have back problems. Not much in the rooms to go WOW about.
There were several water and power outages while we stayed there.
The toilet paper provided is barely enough for 2 people let alone one person should they get the runnings – which happens! We were provided with paper that falls apart in your hands – WHEN we had paper which was not always.
Oh yes – the clothing optional / nude beach. If this is what you come here for, then save yourself the hassle and go somewhere else. I wasn`t there for this option, but I can tell you from observation that the clothed people far outnumber the naked and I saw at least 2 voyeurs with long lenses taking snap shots, plus it is really a small area of about 6-10 huts right next to the clothed area. Actually if truth be told, there is a sign beyond the huts and loungers where it is clearly marked as clothing optional, but of course people still sit at the end where there are the last few huts, so within eye distance and certainly camera view. It didn`t bother me one bit, but I thought you should know!
Another fact is that this place is 2 hours from the airport by shuttle bus and getting there is a pain. If you need to go anyplace you better be prepared to pay hefty amounts for taxis and forget the local bus that supposedly tours the island because even the staff weren’t very positive about its schedule or reliability (they told us themselves). We learned this for ourselves since we waited an hour and it never showed up so I hate to think what would happen if you actually take the bus somewhere and then find yourself stuck with no way to get back home.
There are supposed to be taxis around but we never saw one and when we asked we were told that we needed to pay to call one and there was no guarantee. This came from a lobby attendant.
The food selection was minimal at best. Again… this is a 4 star and I’ve been to a 3 star that had double the selection.
THE GOOD…
The food was actually good despite it being limited, although this is a personal opinion. I always found something to eat. I will say this… the juice was NOT watered down as in all the places I have stayed at and the fruits were fresh and ripe.
The TV actually worked with plenty of selection – if you intend on staying indoors.
The beach was fun with the waves and there is a small area to the left where you can do a bit of snorkelling but it is really small and shallow – but at least the fish are there and easy to get to unlike other places I visited.
If you like the pool area, then this place has a nice large area and the pool seemed well taken care of.
Now about my experience and here I WILL RANT.
The hotel staff are not all very helpful, least of which is customer service that don’t do anything apart from listening to your complaints and talking to their friends instead of helping you out. There were people willing to help but the honest truth is they can`t do much, and the customer service rep who is supposed to make sure the clients are comfortable didn’t do ANYTHING for us… not even lift a finger.
We arrived Saturday night at 8 PM and 95% of the passengers had NO BAGS. I know this is not the fault of the resort, but we did stay at their resort for 2 nights with the same clothes, me personally I had to wait 4 nights and 4 days to get my baggage. The only contact we have to our representative was to first contact the customer service people or the lobby staff since we did not have access to phones or the telephone numbers to contact the agency reps. Even so, it was like pulling teeth to get them to make a phone call and I had to insist after 3 nights that I speak to the rep myself. You would think that a customer service rep who knows that someone is in distress would make every effort to get the situation under control and do what they can to help, but this is what we were told, and I QUOTE…`it is not our responsibility to deal with the agencies`, therefore it was up to us to deal with getting any help especially when you are so far away and can`t even go to the store to buy necessities.
In the bar area, they take their sweet time to get you drinks. I stood there waiting for a good 5 minutes and the bar tender was too busy talking to his buddy all the while another server kept pointing out to the bar tender that I was waiting. I finally got my drinks about 10 minutes later. The drinks are watered down and tasteless!
I had to wash my clothes and guess what – the water stopped. When the water was working, I had to quickly take a shower and put on dirty clothes instead or miss out on lunch.
The worst customer service came from the agency rep for CARIBE SOL. Instead of dealing with the loss of our bags in a professional manner he laughed at every chance he got, which didn`t help that the other resort staff took to feeling just as he did – that it was a joke. HAHA… look at the stinky Canadians. I eventually got my bag only after having a shouting match in the lobby area. I had told the lobby people to let me know when my bags arrive or when the island rep for CARIBE SOL arrived so that I can talk to him. No one told us but we had to find out for ourselves. Once I had spoken to him, he agreed to drive me to the airport and it took 3 hours driving at speeds in excess of 120KMs to get my bag. It also cost me 40 pesos! The next day, I ran into the local Caribe Sol Rep and asked about an excursion since we really needed to get away from the resort. He just sat there in the oversized lounger in the lobby and laughed and smiled and simply said whatever to get rid of us.
Bottom line is that this place is like any other place in Cuba – you can have a great time but if anything goes wrong like it did with us, you can forget about a quick fix and especially forget about customer service. I agree that this would have been a decent vacation had I not lost my bags, but you only see the bad in Cuba when the bad happens to you. The choice here is clear… you can go to Varadero where at least you have easy access to the airport and the local merchants and stores and restaurants, or even in Cayo Coco where taxis are plentiful and the airport is 15-20 min away, or you can come here to a remote island where if something goes wrong, your vacation can be easily ruined.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank renato_d
Dear renato_d,
Thank you for taking the time in writing us a review of your stay in our Trip Advisor community. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service we put a great interest in our clients comments as their perceptions are the most important to us as this is the only way to know what specific points we must focus our attention.
Please be sure that we work as hard as possible and we aim at delivering always the best possible experience to all of our dear guests. Nevertheless I would like to inform you we have a new management team with great ideas to apply at work and at the same time let me comment you that we are involved in a general renovation program in all our rooms and common areas that will give us our structural conditions back and I assure you our future clients may feel more comfortable.
Once again please accept our apologies for these inconveniences and we look forward welcoming you in the near future to enjoy our new changes.

Best regards

Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is terrible from lack of toilet roll, soap and flushing toilets in the public toilets to unhelpful unfriendly staff. The public areas require attention it's shabby and unkempt. The rooms themselves are clean however the shower and noisy air con which gave me a sore throat is simply unacceptable. The food at the buffet was garbage and this is meant to be a 4 star I would say it was no higher than 2 star. The manager offered to resolve the matter however did not handle it properly neither did his customer relations staff. This resulted in us moving to the melia Buena vista nearby which was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Catriona C
Dear Catriona C,
Our hotel is involved in a renovation process that will give us our structural conditions back. Nevertheless i would like to inform you we have a new management team with great ideas to apply at work.
Once again please accept our apologies for these inconveniences and we look forward welcoming you in the near future and enjoy our new changes.

Best regards

Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My fifth trip to the Sol Cayo Santa Maria was once again a fantastic vacation. I absolutely love it here! I keep coming back to this hotel because I like the room arrangement in the 4-plex or beach bungalow style which keeps the resort feeling smaller and less crowded - even when it is full. I absolutely adore the beach and the calm ocean at this time of year and the people that work at the resort are so nice!

I have found all of the the resort workers that I have come into contact with - bartenders, cooks, servers, gardeners and beach workers to name a few - all to be pleasant and respectful to me. For example, on my first trip to the Sol, I forgot to print my hotel voucher. The internet in Cuba (everywhere) is slow. I could not download my voucher. Yaima, the clerk in the internet/phone center, quietly and efficiently took care of the situation by getting a copy through the Hotel administrative offices. On my successive visits to the Sol Hotel I have been pleased to hear Yaima greet me upon my arrival and continue to check that throughout my stay at the hotel that I am happy and enjoying my vacation!

Whether the request is for a simple bit of information or for a special request or even for the occasional issue that may arise with your room - Malvia in Customer Service is my "go-to" person! She is a warm welcoming person, who very efficiently takes care of any and all customer service requests I have had. At times I have dropped into her office to tell her how nice my room is or to give other comments. Over several hotel stays, upon occasion I have witnessed how she respectfully handles guests who choose to "demand" rather than "ask" for service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4Neo, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Client

On behalf of Hotel Management and all the staff working at Sol Cayo Santa María, we thank you for publication on Tripadvisor about your experience in our hotel.

We are very happy to acknowledge that your experience was amazing and unforgettable due to our facilities and excellent service. In Sol Cayo Santa María we want our valuable costumers to enjoy memorable holidays.

We invite you to visit us once again so you can enjoy our facilities and remain at your disposition for any further assistance prior your return.

We hope to see you very soon.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised from the first moment I got there. I travelled from June 13-20 and the weather was awesome. I have been to Santa Maria twice before and although the weather was awesome the ocean was very rough. You were still able to swim so it was all good. I did find the pools had too much chlorine and my bathing suit turned colour. My room was extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. Everything in the room worked well and I had no issues. I did find the beach and the resort very quiet, but I think it was the time of year. The food was very good but it was repetitive in the buffet. The Italian a la carte was amazing. I was even very surprised to have Champagne all week and it was good Champagne. We hung out at the lobby bar every night and the service was great!! There was a live band that played on the Thursday night and they were very good. I would definitely recommend this resort for a cheap and cheerful holiday. I had a wonderful time and will certainly return!!

Room Tip: I was in room 1702 and it was a great location. Superior Ocean View is the best category to book as...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank beachgirl2013
4Neo, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear beachgirl2013,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Sol Cayo Santa María and for having chosen our hotel to spend your vacations.

In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read that you had enjoyed your staying among us as your review shows us and we are very pleased for your positive lines referring our gastronomy , hotels beaches and the friendliness of our staff. This motivates us to keep working to make feel our valuable costumers a dream come true as we aim in Sol Cayo Santa María
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit( for the four time); please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.