“A bit dissapointed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Along with my husband, 2 1/2 daughter and my mother, we spent here 1 week in May.
The good things: the beach is great, the pool as well. Clean, lots of chairs, lots of palapas. No need to reserve early in the morning. The animation team was good to have my mom embark in dance lessons LOL. We had sent in advance reservation requests for the restaurants and we got an envelope awaiting for us at check in.
The not so good:
- we had asked in advance to have adjacent rooms at second floor - we got same building rooms, not adjacent, at the first floor. When asked to change, the check-in lady didin't even bother to check for availability. And we were there off-season.
- next morning I noticed ants in my room. The receptionist said that there is no problem, they will spray. They later came to bring us a bottle of insect repellant to spray. We said that this is not what is takes and went back to the reception. They then found another room for us, in a different buuilding, but close enough of my mom's not to be an issue.
- the buffet / restaurants opening hours were really late and it interfered with mu daughter's nap time. Lunch started at 13h00 and dinner at 19h00 - and were open for 2 hours only.
- there were 4 restaurants à-la-carte but just 1 open every evening. We did have places each night, even if the reservations we got in the first place were wrong (my mom had different dates or hours than us)
- to our surprise, the grounds were not well kept.
- the evening shows were just too late for us to attend (22h00 t0 23h00). Too bad because they were trying.
- food selection at the buffet was not great - even if we were kind of expecting it, we felt let down.
In all, not the best cuban vacation (we have been to Varadero and Cayo Coco previously). Will try something else next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank bnmtl
Management response:Responded 1 July 2012

Many thanks for prefer Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for post a review on Trip
Advisor.

Every time we receive messages from our future guests, asking us for requests,
we do our best to fulfill them and your case has not been an exception.
We gave you what was possible; unfortunately, there was no availability of
adjacent rooms during your stay, so you have received two on the same Bungalow.
The priority of our Reception Staff, like the rest of the Crew, is the satisfaction of our
customers; what the Lady at the desk said to you is that there was no avaliability
for adjacent, despite that we are in low season, due that we have many families
with children in this season.

We Fumigate the hotel twice a day, but if a guest requires a thorough fumigation
in the room we have to move him to another one, because for a couple of days one
can stay there.
This is the reason why the Housekeeper Staff used spray: normally it is some insect
that may have entered through the window (which is physiological in a hotel surrounded
by gardens) and with a little spray is enough.

Like I wrote you replying your mail, we could not change the schedule of our restaurants
due your daughter's nap time. Our main Buffet open from 07:30 to 10:30 hrs. for breakfast;
from 13:00 to 15:00 hrs. for lunch and from 19:00 to 22:00 hrs. for dinner.
The Thematic restaurants open at 18:30 hrs. and we have a 24/7 Snack Bar.

During you stay the % of occupancy did not need more than a "A la carte" restaurant
every night; in fact, you got all the Thematic dinners you were supposed to receive.
I apologize if we did not give in advance reservations with the same hour to all your
group members. Luckily, has been something that it was solved immediately.

Our night shows start at 21:45 hrs. to give the chance to those persons who dine
late to assist at the teather, but we start every evening with the mini disco at 20:30 hrs.,
for those guests who have children.

we regret that, despite our efforts, your vacation has not been entirely satisfactory.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,408)

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Ok, one of my best stays in cuba. Yes it's far from the airport but the hotel itself is amaizing. Very clean, very nice rooms, amaizing staff, great food (have to say that got friends with the main chef and always or almost got something special outside the menu...) Have to say it's the time that I ate the best in Cuba. The beach is amaizing and if you walk for about 15 minutes towards the left, you'll get to a place were u can do snorkling right there without having to take a boat or anything! it was just glorious : ) My only bad luck was that they had lots of yellifish at that period (they say because of bad weather they had before my arrival) I have the feeling that it can happen easier on a Cayo then on Varadero.... But that had not much to do with the resort itself. i only have good things to say about the resort. it was beautiful : )

Room Tip: The hotel is huge!! So if u stay often on the beach, try to get something close to the beach, or to...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Florence T
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for prefer Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for post a review on
Trip Advisor.

Cayo S. Maria is 53 km far from the mainland, which means that we are
in open ocean.
This is the reason why this destination is a paradise for divers and fishing enthusiasts;
it is obviously an area subject to tidal flows and currents more than many others and when
it occurs, may bring jellyfish near the beach, which are swept by strong streams.
Luckily, do not stay near the coast for more than a day or two, because the movements of the tide carry them out.

We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope you´ll return in the
future.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed here on for 4 nights all inclusive. This hotel ticks most of the boxes, it's a well equipped hotel, beautiful strip of beach and lovely pool. Food is ok here although not great. There are suppose to be four restaurants open and available to customers on the all inclusive package. However, only one of the restaurants was open per night, and which ever one was open was always booked out so it was impossible to get a booking. The result was that our only option for dinner at the hotel each night was the buffet. This was really disappointing for us as we were looking forward to. Trying a few of the different restaurants.

The other think that disappointed us was that some staff were la little les than hospitable on occasions. Some staff were really nice but unfortunately there were some here as well who seemed intent on being as unhelpful as possible.

All in all this hotel could be a little bit better with a few improvements

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Foodiesmoothie
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Many thanks for choose Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for post a review on
Trip Advisor.

Depending on which Travel Agency our guests bought the All-in package,
have 2 or 4 thematic dinners every 7 days.
The simultaneous opening of the Thematics depends on the occupancy:
during high season are working all every evening; in these days, we have 2 every night
except 2 night a week that we have 3.
Anyway, does no matter how open each night; our customers should receive the number
of Thematic dinners which they are entitled.
If did not happened with you, I sincerely apologize.

The huge majority of our Staff members are committed and very professional;
I hope that the inappropriate behavior of a few does not tarnish the good work of many.

Luckily, the inconvinients that you have described did not prevent you to enjoy the stay, but
we really would like to receive your visit once again, to show you that normally we do it better.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Everything on the resort is spaced perfectly, not too far from the pool to beach, all main areas not too far apart including the shopping at Pueblo, very nice clothes, beach bags and souvenirs for reasonable cost. I will definitely return to the beautiful SPA in September. The massage therapists are wonderful and I enjoyed a relaxing manicure, pedicure.
BREAKFAST was fabulous, fresh omelette cooked perfectly by Daniel, the waiter always had excellent cappuccino as well. Service could not have been better than received. Staff were very friendly and helpful. SPECIAL THANKS TO OSBIEL & YOBI (pool bar) who always had a nice fresh sparkling water (club soda) for me on ice. The pool is most beautiful and clean, always lots of chairs with shade or sun and provided excellent entertainment at the pool.
Also ERNESTO AND DJ NENE were great including all the entertainment staff who kept me busy all morning with stretching, tai chi, stepping, aquafitness, dancing, all so much fun! This is why I work so hard to spend one week enjoying myself.
LUNCH BBQ at the beach is amazing and with fresh salad. Also had the best fresh fish (cooked to perfection) and great wine.
The a la Carte restaurants were very good with excellent dessert and excellent service. The BUFFET always had plenty of selection at DINNER. I enjoyed all the restaurants including the pool snack back yummy thin crust pizza. The only restaurant I missed is the Japanese and hope I will request a reservation in September.
The EVENING SHOW AMAZING, well choreographed with professional entertainers. Also enjoyed the raga, raga dancing, please continue, it’s fun!
ROOMS are beautiful colours and quite. This is the most comfortable bed and by far superior comfort pillows that I ever had in other resorts Punta Cana, Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas, Cayo Coco. I slept so well and was always fit and ready to go early in the morning. Always had enough room towels with beautiful artwork by chambermaid and fresh beach towel. Mini fridge stocked with lots of water, beer, pop.

It was a great trip, the only thing I would request in September is to have a 2nd floor room and a visit to the Japanese.

We will arrive September 27 and probably book the dolphin tour. Hoping to see all your friendly faces!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank Cathy P

Many thanks for choose Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for describe your vacation
on Trip Advisor.

Your words of satisfaction are the best reward for our efforts and an incentive
to keep working.

We are glad to know that Meliá Cayo Santa Maria has exceeded your expectations
and that you have already booked your 2nd stay.
Be so kind to write us a mail a couple of weeks before your arrival; we´ll take care
about your requests.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I just returned from MCSM on June 22 - my fourth visit to this fabulous resort.

The beach, as always, is just beautiful. I find that I just can't stop staring at it because the water is so beautiful and clear.

The rooms at this resort are large, clean and very comfortable. The food is plentiful and there is lots of variety to choose from. The first night I was there, I went to the Italian a la carte - it's still my favourite. The Japanese was also very good.

Perhaps because it is the low season and all of the a la cartes are not open every night, we were given our reservations for the restaurants in our package when we arrived. It saved having to line up in the morning to make reservations.

I was given an upgrade to an ocean view room, perhaps because I am a repeat guest, and it was a beautiful view, although the rooms are definitely not ocean front. I was also invited to a special supper for repeat guests, which was a very nice touch.

What makes this resort exceptional, though, are the people. They work so hard to make your stay memorable. Their memory is amazing - they remember you each year. I have to mention a few exceptional staff who make each of my visits worthwhile. Yoel is the ultimate waiter. I look forward to seeing his welcoming smile each year and the personal and sincere attention he gives to each guest is beyond any expectation.

Another employee that I notice every year is one that most guests may not even notice. Alfredo, one of the gardeners, has to be one of the hardest working employees at the resort. All day long, I see him working in the hot sun, cleaning out the garbage, working in the garden, hackng down the vegetation to keep the grounds groomed. He never seems to even take a break but always has a ready smile if you take the time to acknowledge him.

There are so many others that made my stay enjoyable that it is hard to name them all.

Although the weather was not good for most of the week I was there, I am already thinking about my next visit. This resort is the best and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a beautiful beach, great resort and great people.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank bjsabina

Many thanks for be a loyal customer of Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for post
a review on Trip Advisor.

During low season, the Thematic restaurants open with a rotation system,
because it is not necessary to open them all every night like in high season.
The decision to pre book the reservations has been taken due of the many
suggestions from customers, who did not want to waste time lining up.
We are doing it from the beginning of the year and has given us very good results.

You have received an ocean view room in consideration of all the times you have
visited our Hotel.
The key is a protected area and there are strict rules regarding construction;
the dune that divide the beach from the facilities is an area where building is prohibited.
This is the reason why the Bungalows are not close to the beach.

The repeat customer dinner is our way to thanks those persons who made of Meliá
Cayo Santa Maria them home away from home.

Will be a very pleasure for all us to host you again.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We just came home from 7 nights in MCSM . All I can say is thank you! Even though the weather was not co operative, the staff did EVERTHING they could to entertain & keep the atmosphere pleasant.i had a wonderful time! My wish is that the food would be Cuban! Otherwise the food was lovely & plenty ! The best creme caramel & flan since my mother's ! Frank's pancakes, well he is the "king" after all..lol the omlettes...the fish....my pasta guy , who always knew I like my " home made" pasta in a bowl . I can go on because everyone is spectacular ! I have NEVER SEEN SUCH HARD WORKING PEOPLE ! I can hardly wait to go back to see everyone again!
Marco, my personal thanks for everything! You have a wonderful staff & do a wonderful job!
Hope to see you soon.
Regards,
Cristiana Dimitriu
Oshawa Ontario

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank poopsies55

Many thanks for choose Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for describe your
experience on Trip Advisor.

The main reason for the success of our hotel is the quality of the Staff;
are committed and dedicated persons, always cheerful and willing.
Definitely, the soul of Meliá Cayo Santa Maria.

We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope
to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I was traveling in Cuba for photography last July.

The room is spacious and clean. I like the idea of eat and drink all you can. Food was good. They have Italian restaurant, Japanese restaurant, cafe and bar. You need to make reservation in advance if you would like to go for Italian or Japanese food to avoid disappointment.

They have a "private beach". No one will disturb or harass you to buy things from them. There are plenty of activities conducted by the resort too. The pool is big and clean.

Basically I had a good holiday in Cayo Santa Maria.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
10  Thank IvorynGold
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Many thanks for prefer Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for describe your
vacation on Trip Advisor.

Indeed, our Hotel is located in an area of great beauty, which makes it a
perfect place for photography lovers.

We are glad to know that we fullfilled your expectations and we hope you
will return in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#10 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!