Along with my husband, 2 1/2 daughter and my mother, we spent here 1 week in May.
The good things: the beach is great, the pool as well. Clean, lots of chairs, lots of palapas. No need to reserve early in the morning. The animation team was good to have my mom embark in dance lessons LOL. We had sent in advance reservation requests for the restaurants and we got an envelope awaiting for us at check in.
The not so good:
- we had asked in advance to have adjacent rooms at second floor - we got same building rooms, not adjacent, at the first floor. When asked to change, the check-in lady didin't even bother to check for availability. And we were there off-season.
- next morning I noticed ants in my room. The receptionist said that there is no problem, they will spray. They later came to bring us a bottle of insect repellant to spray. We said that this is not what is takes and went back to the reception. They then found another room for us, in a different buuilding, but close enough of my mom's not to be an issue.
- the buffet / restaurants opening hours were really late and it interfered with mu daughter's nap time. Lunch started at 13h00 and dinner at 19h00 - and were open for 2 hours only.
- there were 4 restaurants à-la-carte but just 1 open every evening. We did have places each night, even if the reservations we got in the first place were wrong (my mom had different dates or hours than us)
- to our surprise, the grounds were not well kept.
- the evening shows were just too late for us to attend (22h00 t0 23h00). Too bad because they were trying.
- food selection at the buffet was not great - even if we were kind of expecting it, we felt let down.
In all, not the best cuban vacation (we have been to Varadero and Cayo Coco previously). Will try something else next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In an island paradise off the northern coast of Cuba stands the 5- star All-Inclusive Meliá Cayo Santa María hotel, especially designed for families, surrounded by beautiful beaches and lush tropical vegetation. This property (358 rooms) offers facilities for incentives groups and a special wedding and honeymoon program. A perfect complement for an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Melia Cayo Santa Maria Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
- Cayo Santa Maria Melia
- Cayo Santa Maria Cuba
- Santa Maria Cuba
- Melia Cayo Santa Maria Cuba