“Partied like it was 1959- An amazing vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
toronto
“Partied like it was 1959- An amazing vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

My partner and I just returned from an amazing vacation at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. (Dec. 28 to Jan.4) and had one of the best experiences ever. I am a seasoned traveler, a woman of size, have refined tastes and have an eye for detail. I am educated as well so this also adds to my review.
Booking and Price: We booked mid November and got a decent price through the internet with Tripcentral. I would have paid more for the vacation we received
Flight and Transfers: Excellent flight from Air Transat that arrived on time and left on time. One of the most comfortable flights I have been on... lots of leg room, wide seats, good food and drink (more than one adult beverage available) Wonderful attendants.
When we arrived in Santa Clara we boarded our bus and had everything we needed in an envelope with our name on it (Map, room number, room keys, bracelets, hours of restaurants etc) It was incredibly organized. Very impressive.
Arrival: It was dark when we arrived but we quickly found our room because of the map and helpful bell hops. Our room was beautifully prepared and our luggage arrived immediately as they marked each of our bags with our room number when we got on the bus. So smart. Food and drink was set up in the lobby for our arrival and it was a lovely touch!

Room: Location was excellent- 2024. 5 minutes to beach one way - buffet the other. Our room was huge: entrance area with a mirrored hutch, stand and stool, sitting area- couch, coffee table, chair, big king bed, desk area, balcony with 2 chairs and table, huge closet 3 large drawers, full bath (tub, removable shower head, bidet, toilet, sink, makeup mirror, hand dyer, soap, body gel, lotion and shampoo ( no conditioner- bring yours) lots of towels in room and beach towels when you arrive. Low wattage hair dryer was fine for me but someone with thick hair would want their own. Lots of lighting throughout, cool conch lamps, moon and star motif throughout (and throughout the resort) hand painted decor and SUPER CLEAN. There is a coffee maker in room, 2 short glasses and 4 tall glasses. There is no clock or clock radio, which took some getting used to but was nice to lose track of time. There is also a stocked mini fringe that was filled with anything we wanted... we spoke to our maid Marilys often and left her notes... we liked water and beer... they also had soda available...everything was exceptional.

Beach: The best I have been to. The water was clear and turquoise. There was no need for sand shoes. The sand is not as soft as Punta Cana the water is far more beautiful here. The ocean can get rough so watch the flags. There is the "towel game" that is very accepted her (as it is in Jamaica, Mexico, Dominican and every where else) Ask for a 6:45 wake up call...toddle to the beach to get your favourite spot and either sit for a bit and watch the sun rise or go back to bed... or fall asleep on the beach...all is accepted .... no on will take your spot... it was fine and there are men on the beach to help you get your chairs and towels down that early... The beach was unbelievable....saw a sea horse, an eel, pelicans, storks, schools of fishes and loved every second there. Suffered no mosquitoes or sand fleas.

Food: It is Cuba. Food will not be like food where you are from. I loved what I ate for the most part. Breakfast had anything you would find here- eggs and omelets cooked to order, bread and toasts, various meats and cheeses, juices, coffee, fresh fruit and some really odd things too. Note: they have lots of pork products but no bacon...not sure why. Take what you think you'll eat and try it... Lunch had many choices- buffet, snack bar or beach restaurant- grilled meats, calamari, pizza, fries, burgers, ice cream, pastas, salads, Tons of choice...and some weird things too but choose what you want. Dinner: Buffet was great again...a carved meat and a selection of grilled meats, various pasta bars, lots of choice... the shrimp was not what I was used to so I avoided it but others liked it...a matter of taste... We had a good time at the Mediterranean( fixed menu) Japanese(Benehana) and French(chateubriand) a la cart restaurants. They also went to great lengths to prepare a wonderful New Years eve meal for everyone on the 31st with the main being surf and turf.

Drinks: anything you want any time... beer at 8:00 a.m. no problem... margarita on the beach at 3...served to you...4 shots of rum in a thimble of punch at midnight...not a blink of an eye and it is yours. The resort was full for our stay and we never had to wait for anything for more than 2 minutes... I loved the Crystal on Draft, the mojitos and the salted lime margaritas... my guy loved them and the red and white wine too... he was into the scotch too.

Entertainment: Outstanding. I don't go to these places for the shows. My job involves teaching theatre and dance performance and tech to teens every day so I am quite cynical when it comes to this kind of thing.
Because this is Cuba and everyone is payed the same the artists performing are all trained for at least 4 years in "show school" after high school and then apprentice for a year they are top notch. Magician clowns in the bar, first rate musicians in restaurants and on stage. Amazing singers... exquisite dancing in various styles...even ballet...performed on a real stage with lighting. Excellent costuming as well. It shows what you can do when you appreciate the arts.

Grounds and pools: Super clean, very accessible, fun swim up bar and jacuzzi location. We would usually go to the pool area around 4 for the last few hours... the animation team was good but not in your face and I wasn't driven crazy by piped in music. There was always a game going on in the pool for anyone to join, watch or ignore and the paths led you easily to your room, the beach or the restaurant of your choosing. Lots of chairs and umbrellas and never had to fight for a spot.

Service: The people who work here were amazing. They were so friendly, polite and happy we just loved being with them all the time. Shout outs in no particular order:
Frank the egg king and his beautiful wife who were so kind!
Yarmalasky my sister cervesa waitress... we love you!
Anansi our lovely server too!
Marilys our maid and towel artist!
Orlando the amazing dancer!
Hamlet- thanks for the great poses at the grill!
Pascal our now English and Spanish speaking clown
Yunior and Juan Carlos our amazing bar tenders and now friends.
And of course the manager Rolando...there are no "buts" :)

We also had a great time at the beautiful spa. I have the price list if you want me to send you prices... it is very in expensive for the services. My skeptical guy loved our couples massage and I think he looked years younger afterwards...The pools, steam room and sauna are worth trying too...

I could go on and on but this was a great spot and a lovely place to hang your hat for a week. I do have some notes that are "criticisms" that I think the resort should take note of but my no means would I rate it less than a 5 because of it.
1. If you say there is a dress code enforce it. If someone comes in with no shoes or a shirt, or without long pants simply say " I would love to seat you but you will have to return to your room to change to fit the resort's dining dress code". Either that or don't have a dress code.
2. The beach towel situation. Many times there were no towels at the exchange. My guess is they are hard to come by. Let patrons know that this may be a problem until your sort out the shortages so they can be prepared.

I also could not believe how many folks smoked... in doors, by the pool , on the beach, while eating... we are totally spoiled in Canada...
It was also weird that there was no where to recycle... hmmm.

My other note: I usually stay at Adults only resorts. I like kids but not when I am sleeping on the beach. This resort does have kids at it and for the most part there weren't that many to be seen. If you have a baby and a toddler this is good for you as you would be with them and they with you... there is a kid's area that remained empty most of our stay... if you have older kids (5 and up) the neighboring Melia las Dunas resort may be for you as they would have more to do.
And if you are a parent please please please be a good one. This is what was upsetting to me, but has nothing to do with the resort so bear with me: Parents allowing children ball caps at the table. Parents allowing video games at the table ( with the volume up none the less). Parents keeping their children up past midnight while the children fussed. Parents smoking in front of their children. Parents leaving their child alone on the beach for over an hour, unsupervised.This all happened during our stay and we were shocked by the selfish and rude behavior of the adults in charge. Luckily we had the choice to walk away. The kids did not.

So not to end on a bad note the Melia Cayo Santa Maria is an amazing resort I loved it. My partner loved it. I'd recommend it to anyone and I would go there again.
Thank you for making my holiday one of the best ones I've had in a long long time!

Room Tip: We had a room in building 20 and could see the ocean from our window. It was close to everything and...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
48 Thank teacherinto
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 29 March 2016
Greetings from Melia Cayo Santa María!
Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

If you are looking for a westernized five star, go to another resort so that you can stop complaining about petty nonsense!! What I loved most about this resort was the simplicity and general quietness. I found it to be more relaxing than a huge, foreigner filled resort. The staff were amazing and, it had the best beach of all along the strip. Enjoyed the fresh fruit and BBQ seafood and chicken at the beach bar, we did find some dishes to be oversalted but that was easily fixed upon request. Our bus times were somewhat awkward as we arrived very late to and fro , so I recommend flying in during daytime so you can see the neighboring towns before Amelia. Had an amazing relaxing time and would return :)

Room Tip: I love the ocean, so rooms in 18 are ideal and in close proximity to everything.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank sarra j

Bolton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

just got back from dec 22-29

Relaxing............Wonderful service,Special accolades to Yosvelt and Yoset at the swim up bar.Such wonderful people.Learned a lot about Cuba over a few drinks well maybe more than a few.I asked for tomato juice and Yosvelt jumped up and went to each bar.,buffet looking for some.he could have said no but he went the extra mile.Our garderner was very speciai as well.He. took so much pride in keeping the grounds beiautiful He was great.His name was Edwardo.Our room
attentndant was michaela(mikeal).Kept our room spotless.Buffet was great.Fresh fish great breakfast.Thanks so much for a lovely stay and please give Yosvelt a big hug.

Your Canadian Friend
Bill

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melia S M, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 20 April 2016
Dear customer,
Thank you for your review, by the sound of it you had a great time!
We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
We hope to see you back soon, here at your second home, Melia Cayo Santa María!

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria resort for the week before Christmas (Dec. 14-21, 2012). It's a small, quiet resort, made quieter by the fact that it was half empty the week I was there. The atmosphere is very laid back and casual, and the staff are the happiest and most efficient I have encountered in Cuban resorts. They made every interaction easy and were very helpful. The resort offers the standard excursions that are available in the area so staying at a smaller place doesn't negatively impact your ability to see what there is around the resort. I didn't do any excursions as I have done all that interest me when I've stayed elsewhere before and I just wanted a quiet beach vacation. This resort is next door to and shares a beach with the much larger and posher Melia Las Dunas resort next door, and also shares the spa and very well maintained gym facilities with Las Dunas, although it takes a bit of searching to find these. I have mixed feelings about Melia Santa Maria and have been trying to sort out why. All the rooms are 'junior suites' and so quite spacious with new flat screen TVs of a decent size. The sink is outside the shower and toilet (and bidet) room so that would be convenient for a couple. The beds have proper mattresses and if you like yours firm you'll love the bed. I had an ocean view room and was grateful for the privacy and the view as it seemed to me that the rooms with garden views really lacked for either, especially if you were on the balcony. My room had mosquitoes though, and I must have had 40 very itchy bites by the time I left inspite of mosquito repellent. It took me a few nights to start using the mosquito net which I would strongly recommend from the get-go. The air conditioning blows directly on to the top half of the bed, presumably to keep mosquitoes off and sleepers cool while sleeping but I found the fan too strong and had to turn it off, so the room became pretty warm by morning. Otherwise I thought that the air conditioning kept the room at just the right temperature, which isn't always the case in hotel rooms. The food at the resort was good but the main buffet dining room was closed at lunch time and 3 nights out of the 7 when I was there. For lunch you had to go to the pool snack bar (excellent pizza marguerita!) or the beach grill and in the evening when the dining room was closed you were assigned to an a la cart restaurant. The Japanese and Italian ones were okay, the Mediterranean one a disappointment I thought. I'd rather have been able to go to the fresh grill in the buffet dining room than any of the a la carte restaurants. The two pools are right next to each other and seemed fine but the loud music and general animation at pool side kept me away. The beach was the best part of this resort by far, being much less crowded than Las Dunas next door and also wider than at the other resort. Really wonderful for swimming and long walks! The main drawback with the beach was that the shade shelters were few and in pretty dilapidated condition and the beach lounge chairs seemed to be stacked up all the time so you had to haul one off the top of the pile when you wanted to use one. The whole resort has a slightly down at the heels/seen better days look. Maybe that's because it was not full but it just didn't feel like much more than a 3 star, maybe 3.5 at most - although it could be. The hungry cats are slightly disturbing for a cat lover - I coped by making feeding several of them a daily project. I imagine that's how they survive. I'm not sorry I went to Melia Cayo Santa Maria as a quiet break was exactly what I wanted this time around, but I'm not sure I will be going back again either.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view in advance if you can - try to get one as part of a package deal because if you a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank B_HToronto
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 11 May 2016
Dear customer,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel.
We pay attention to the issues you mention that help us to improve day by day.
We hope to see you back soon in the Melia Cayo Santa María Hotel!

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We have been travelling to Cuba for the better part of a decade and the pros have always outweighed the cons. At Melia Santa Maria this is also true. The beach was beautiful but very deep and the red flag came out too often. Don't bring your kids here unless they love to play in big waves. Our son had fun in the ocean and the pools were fun and beautiful. The whole Melia resort is beautiful. The gardens and courtyard were serene, much like the other Melias we have visited. We loved having coffee and reading on the terrace by the lobby bar. Particularly in the lobby bar, but generally true for the resort, the staff were not only pleasant but generally kind. While the staff experience was the best we have experienced at Cuba, the food was the worst we have ever experienced in Cuba. We don't come to eat in Cuba but we all got food poisoning. This meant one unpleasant sleepless night that we were happy to overlook, but our returns to the buffet were disappointing. The food was cold and the lines were long. It seems that the kitchen staff were unused to the flow of people. The cutlery was often washed poorly, there was raw meat left out for patrons to handle, and tongs were moving from raw meet to other dishes at times. The other Melias had really good food, but this Melia had us wishing we had brought more granola bars with us so we could skip the buffet experience. Normally the food in Cuba is simple but very home made. The breads, the desserts, the rice dishes usually taste home made. The food at Santa maria was processed and cold and sometimes contaminated. The butter came in little packets from the states and it smelled like fish! The jams still seemed to be authentic Cuban but the yogurts normally very good in Cuba tasted like the cheapest stuff in Canada. The a la carte experience was quite good, and we made an effort to use this option when we would normally be satisfied with the buffet at other resorts. Enough about food. We should also say that the rooms were very big and pleasant. They were the most pleasant rooms that we've stayed in even if their was no hot water for about a day.

We won't return to this resort primarily because we like shallower waters. We hope the Hotel manager eats at the buffet more often to gauge the food experience.

Lets hope our experience at santa maria isn't a larger symptom of Cuban resorts buying the cheapest American food that is processed and the furthest from authentic Cuban.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Gran0la71
Dear customer,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel.
We pay attention to the issues you mention that help us to improve day by day.
We hope to see you back soon in the Melia Cayo Santa María Hotel!

Best regards,
Granby, Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We just returned from a 2 week stay at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. We love this place and have been coming back for many years now. It’s the right size for us (about 375 rooms). Everything including the beach is close by. It also has probably the nicest staff on the island. As I always tell people “When travelling to Cuba we go to Santa Maria for the beach and we stay at the Melia for the people!”. The weather was warm 28° + but very windy (20KPH+). Having been here many times, November always seems to be windy.
Let’s get down to the review. The hotel has changed back to a family resort allowing children, which really wasn’t a problem for us. This was never really a singles hotel! It is more for couples having a relaxing vacation. The hotel is about an hour and a half away from the airport. This sounds long but you do travel through several towns on the way (and I do mean through the towns puhing bicycles, dogs and pedestrians out of the way). After the towns you drive onto the causeway that crosses the ocean and two islands (Las Brujas and Encenachos) to get to Cayo Santa Maria and the Melia. As I mention the hotel is about 375 rooms large mostly all junior suites. It has an enclosed buffet, two open air lunch restaurants (Ranchon and pool snack bar). It also has four “a la carte” restaurants (Italian, Mediterranean, Japanese and French). The food in the “a la carte” restaurant is top rate and the other restaurants have a good variety for Cuba. The food is slightly above average but remember that this is Cuba! The hotel is about 10 years old but it is aging well. The grounds are really beautiful and the hotel is well maintained. There seems to be an added effort to freshen up the rooms (new air conditioners, plaster and paint). The room was clean and the maid service was impeccable with different towel sculptures every day. Hurricane Sandy did cause some wind damage on some of the roof flashings however. Sandy did take its toll on the parasols on the beach as well but I talked with one of the beach personnel and the hotel will be adding many more and even increase past the initial quantity. This brings me to the staff. They are one of the nicest and we know many of them personally. They are always ready to help and the smiles are continuous. We love them all.
Sandy did affect the beach as well. Normally you can walk east from the hotel for 45 minutes at a good pace without hitting anything but sand. When we were there 3 sections of about 40 feet were was away down to the sand stone. That being said the beach was already showing signs of healing itself when we left. It still is one of the nicest beaches in Cuba and the beach in front of the Melia is the nicest section of the beach.
Cayo Santa Maria has 2 Pueblos (Visitor towns) now attached to the hotels. They are the Pueblo La Dunas and the Pueblo Estrella. You can find local souvenirs, shops, restaurants and activities (bowling, spa, billiards, etc). The Las Dunas one has just opened and had limited services. Remember the restaurants here are not included in your package and will require that you pay for your meals. There is a double decker bus service (open 2nd tier) that takes you to and back from the Pueblos for 1 pesos each way per person. This bus goes to all the hotels and back out to onto the causeway to the Dolphinarium. The round trip is maybe 15 minutes which makes it a very nice sight seeing tour in it’s self!
For you Cigar aficionados, the Cigar prices have soared in Cuba. You can expect increases ranging from 15 to 33% depending on the Brands (Cohiba’s being the most affected) when compared to last year.
One note for regulars with friends at the Sol resort. You can no longer travel by foot path between the two hotels (there is a guard stationed there). The association between the two has ended (event though they are both Sol Melia hotels???) You must now travel by the Pueblo bus (or the beach I imaging).
All in all another great trip to Cuba and to the Melia with no problems. We will certainly be returning next year to see all our Ciban friends again!!

Room Tip: Building 7,8,9,17,18,19 over the best ocean view (specify ocean view). Buildings 15 and 16 offer the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Herb W

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

massage therapist, front desk, maid service, internet staff, servers in buffet restaurant and Alfonso (general manager) and Lisdany (reception manager) made our stay memorable. even after 27 visits to various resorts in cuba, this one was the best! and we are going back in less than a month!

food - better than anything we experienced before. yes, beef is tough but everything else is great! the main thing for us was the fresh fruit bar at breakfast/lunch/dinner.

beach - heavenly.

and the best: extremely capable and gentle physiotherapist Roberto (at the gym) who performes miracles! my husband went to see him with a badly swollen painful knee and after two sessions with Roberto he had no pain at all! thanks to Roberto we could enjoy the rest of our holiday!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Sol Cayo Santa Maria
#12 of 14 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,541 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!