“Outstanding Service at an Outstanding Resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My girlfriend and I as well as some friends of ours just returned from our vacation to the Royalton (January 29 – February 5, 2013). Wow – what a trip! We could not have asked for more from our time in Cuba. It was memorable, entertaining, and relaxing; it was exactly what we were looking for!

With that being said, I’m going to spend some time focusing on some of the less appealing areas with some tips for those who are headed to this resort or for those still on the fence about whether or not to head to Cuba. Maybe some of this will help with your decision…

I’d like to make it completely clear from the outset though that we enjoyed our stay 100%. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering it, and I will be recommending it to my friends and family.

BUS TRIP
The trip to the hotel was on modern, comfortable and air conditioned tour buses. The two hour trip definitely did get boring though, especially when we stopped at two other resorts before we got to the Royalton. The scenery is nice and there is a tour guide on the bus who was happy and helpful. In the end we had no issues with the transportation. They serve cold beers (Crystal) but nothing else unfortunately. One of our companions was pregnant so she had to go 2 hours waiting for a drink once we got to the resort. If you're looking for juice, water or pop you should pack some in your carry-on.

CHECK-IN
The check in was fast and easy – no complaints here. They took our bags straight to our rooms (within 10 minutes) and our butler, Alex, quickly showed us where to find everything in the resort.

HOTEL
The Royalton caters to approximately 200 guests I believe, and the grounds are perfectly suited to this number. We never had to wait in line for drinks or restaurants and the pools barely ever had people in them. The cabanas around the pool get scooped up pretty early every morning (a problem that all hotels seem to face), but if you were to compare this resort to the two neighbouring resorts (Memories Azul Beach Resort and Memories Paraiso Beach Resort) you will be overwhelmingly satisfied that you chose the Royalton!

The pools are not heated. In the winter months (November through March ish) this can make for some pretty cold swimming. We noticed that some of the other hotel guests brought toys for the pool (tubes and other stuff you could lay on). This was an excellent idea and one that we wish we all would have thought of before we had come.

ROOMS
The rooms themselves were pretty basic. The resort just recently opened, so all of the fixtures and furniture are brand new. There were one or two mornings we woke up without any hot water, but these issues were quickly remedied as soon as they were identified to the staff. The “Gardenview” is barely a view at all, so if you’re planning on staying in one of the basic rooms you shouldn’t expect too much. I’ve included a picture of what you can expect to see.

STAFF
The servers, butlers and animation teams are absolutely top-notch. I’ve never seen so many people bend over backwards just to make sure your every whim and desire were met. Our group had 6 members and all of our reservations were modified once the last two people had arrived to ensure that we could all be seated together at restaurants. The 24 hour room service and the butlers are not limited to any specific menu or grouping of services – if the staff members can accommodate you in any way, they will! We had bottles of wine delivered to our rooms, we ordered bacon sandwiches at 3:00 am in the morning and they came freshly delivered within 15 minutes. The service was truly the best I have ever experienced while travelling!

FOOD
As I’m sure you’ve read or been told, the food in Cuba was par at best. Our two biggest complaints were:

- The lack of condiments, though there was plenty of salt and pepper, contrary to what I had heard from other Cuban travellers
- The lack of any snack type foods. Things like nachos, cookies, etc. The only real food you could order was a full meal off the menu, and sometimes all you really wanted was a snack. The only way to get finger foods was to buy them in El Pueblo

These two issues can be easily remedied if you come prepared. Friends of ours brought bottles of ketchup (they do have ketchup, but the flavour is a little off) and a bottle of Sriracha sauce. I had never tasted Sriracha sauce before but it really helped give some of the more bland dishes the kick that they needed. Any hot sauce would do though so I would highly recommend bringing any sauces that you’re used to at home.

Other than the few bland dishes and a few menu items that were unavailable, the food wasn’t as bad as we were expecting. There was also a live band at each of the restaurants for pretty much every meal – for such small restaurants and so few guests, you really feel like royalty as they play popular tunes and theme music throughout your meal.

Make sure you try the cappuccinos – I think I had at least 10 of them over our 1 week stay!

BEACH
Similar to the service, the Royalton’s beach is the best beach I have ever seen. Perfect sand and the water wasn’t too cold. The one downside of the beach was that because the Royalton neighbours two much bigger resorts (the two Memories resorts) which, at maximum capacity, house nearly 3,000 guests, you get a lot of spill over as people stroll down the beach to get away from the crowds. Because of this, the beach will not be as modestly populated as the hotel grounds. That being said, we had no problems with the amount of people on the beach – even with the spill over it was still less populated that some of the other beaches I have been to in other countries.

FACILITIES
Royalton guests get full access to all of the facilities and services that are available at Memories Azul and Memories Paraiso. We made use of their tennis courts, the buffet for one of our lunches (which I would not recommend), as well as several of the themed restaurants which required reservations.

And trust me, taking a stroll through the two Memories resorts will make you very glad that you chose the Royalton!

EL PUEBLO
Next to all three of the resorts is a small town called El Pueblo (though it is owned and operated by the resort). There are quite a few smaller restaurants and vendors if you’d like to buy souvenirs for back home. There’s also a bowling alley and a few spas for those interested.
The prices are all marked and, thankfully, the people selling the arts and crafts are not pushy. We rarely felt pressured into buying anything. Make sure you take the trek up the bell tower to get a few of the resorts and the ocean from the top! Well worth it.

My girlfriend and I as well as two of our friends took the $170.00 excursion (which included a bus trip and a short flight) to Havana. Definitely a great tour, but just be prepared – the tour doesn’t stop at nearly enough locations to get a true feel for the culture of Havana. You could spend a week or two there and still not see everything. We all definitely enjoyed the trip though. Little bit pricy – but definitely worth it.

TIP: Don’t tip with loonies or toonies. They are useless to Cuban’s because exchange bureaus don’t except coinage. We were approached by a couple of resort workers on our way out who were looking to exchange their Canadian coin change for Cuban pesos. Tip with Cuban pesos and save your hosts the hassle.

A personal shout-out to Alex and Ramon, and definitely to our late night conversations with Real. Without each of you our trip wouldn’t have been half as good as it was!

The Royalton is by and large the best hotel in Cayo Santa Maria. A quick stroll through the two neighbouring Memories resorts confirmed that for us for sure. Pick the Royalton and enjoy your stay in Cuba – we can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
30  Thank Darren M
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

Dear guests:

Unbelievable!!! You are our biggest reviewer so far, and by far!!! 90 reviews! And we get top stars, we are speechless!!!!

You review is incredibly interesting and we have reviewed every word of it. Coming from such an expert traveler, only good can come out of putting your ideas to the test! Thank you so much for sharing with us!

We would like to comment that Cuban food and cooking is not very spicy, like Mexican food for example. With that said, we try to cook to everyone's taste and we do have Tabasco sauce and other condiments to spice things up a little! As for the snacks, we have just started our barbeque at the beach bar and it is quite a success! Lobster, filet mignon and shrimp brochette while lounging on the beach, who could ask for more! We also offer a variety of sandwiches at the pool bar and go around with apetizers from morning until the end of the afternoon. We well see what else we can spike up for you dear snack lovers!

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review dear clients, we are all so proud of our team work and that is what makes us strong!

We certainly hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your oustanding brand new hotel!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,108)

Reviewed 9 February 2013

"WOW" is the word I will start with to describe our stay at the Royalton. Omar, congratulations to you and your wonderful staff for making our romantic vacation one to remember!! The grounds are just breathtaking, the staff (and guests) are the most pleasant we have ever met and our one week stay felt like we were part of one big happy family.
Special thanks to our wonderful butlers Alex and Ramon, who went out of their way, each and every day, to make sure that we experienced the true Royalton spirit.
We had an absolutely beautiful second floor oceanfront corner unit (Room 0707) which greated us with its beauty each and every morning. Our maid, Jany, was always pleasant and tended to our every need in a professional and loving manner.
Liandry, the lower pool bartender, greeted us each and every day with a sincere greeting and handsome smile and made hanging out at the pool bar a daily routine for us as there was always laughter and fun times when Liandry was around. Great job kiddo!!
We booked our travels to the Royalton two days after its official opening on December 1st with no reviews or pictures to help us chose this destination over others. We took a chance on this resort and Omar, you and your incredible Royalton family made our choice of resorts one which we are grateful we made!!! The excellent reviews keep pouring in and a pat on the back for a job well done. Keep up the great work and the excellent reviews will continue to come in for years to come!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront Rooms is the only way to go. Laying in a bathtub or showering under the rainfall showerh...
11  Thank NancyJo419

Dear guests:

What wonderful compliments, you are making me blush! I am so very proud of my team and everyday we strive on making your holiday the most magical moment it can be.

Everybody loved reading your comments including me! We are so happy that you took a chance on us even if we were just opening up and even happier to see that we have exceded your expectations.

Here at Royalton, we are a big family and it always includes our dear clients. We wannt to make your stay as comfortable as possible and make you feel right at home away from home!

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments dear guests, I am without words to express all the gratitude I feel for your generous comment.

Please come back and visit us again very soon at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your romantic getaway!

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Our family just returned from this great resort and we will be back!! Our adult son, who is in a wheelchair, really enjoyed the fact that he had butlers at his disposal. To both Orestes and Ariel, you went over and beyond great service to our family!!. They always made a point of finding us 3-4 times a day to make sure we had everything we needed. They set up all the dinners. The food is great and no, I will not say "for Cuba". It was always available and freshly made for us. For anyone that says, there wasn't enough...order 2 entrees. If I wanted a salad with grilled chicken or lobster...all I did was ask and it was provided. We loved the fact that it is a small resort with wonderful low key entertainment.They constantly work the pool and beach offering drinks and food. The beach was wonderful and no need to "mark" chairs as lots were available. I noticed when we got back that this resort is not available until May and that should tell you something. It looks like I will have to book soon for Jan 2014...and we can't wait to see the staff again..especially Orestes and Ariel...Again THANK YOU !!! and who needs the internet ?? We took a quick walk to "memories" and turned right around...don't bother trying to get meal reservations there...everyone we spoke to ended up coming back to Royalton for their meals.

Room Tip: loved the oceanview...but all locations are great because everything is so close
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
21  Thank Baileyrbc

Dear guests:

First of all we would like to say that we are very proud that you chose us for your trip. We are extremely happy that your son could move around so well with his wheelchair. It was such a pleasure to have you with us, you were wonderful clients!

We would like to emphasize on a comment that you made about asking and you shall receive. Many people comment that some things were not available when in fact, we just didn't know that they wanted them because we were not told! We encourage you to tell us what you like to eat as it makes it easier for us to please you, even though there is a wide variety from your menus! Thank you for mentioning this. Whatever you need or want, your butlers, waiters, maids and the management are there to provide it for you!

We have made sure to give the message to Ariel and Orestes, your words are very generous, thank you for sharing your enthusiasm as we are so excited now reading that you will be coming back to visit us next year!

We very much look forward to welcome you and your family again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, you best ever hotel!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Our stay at the Royalton is by far the best experience we have had at an all inclusive resort! The food was good, the beach and hotel itself are absolutely stunning, but it is the staff and their impeccible service that make this a true 5 star resort. Everyone from bellboy to resort manager, go above and beyond to make your stay as memorable as possible. Allmost all the employees speak English and French very well. Get here while it is still new, because I'm sure the prices will skyrocket soon!

The restaurants are all a la carte (no buffets). Although, at breakfast they also have a little area that you can help youself to toast, pastries, fruit, yogurt and meats and cheeses if you don't wish to order from the breakfast menu...(or you can have a bit of both if you prefer!) The Sunset Grill is open 24 hours, and although it would be nice to have a little more variety in the menu, even the pickiest eater can find enough to have something different during their stay. There are always panini's availble at the lower pool bar and sometimes they bring around skewers of meat or fruit or occasionally ice cream bars! They had a pig roast on Wednesday and it was phenomenal!

With regards to entertainment, you can be as active or as relaxed as you like! Mario was like our personal entertaiment host. He took us to play tennis and table tennis, bocce on the beach and beach volleyball. He took us to the disco at night and played dominos with us too. He truly went above and beyond! We love you Super Mario!

We called the bottom pool the quiet pool and the upper pool, the quieter pool (LOL). The evening entertainment was great (pool show a must see!), and I LOVED the fact that they had some type of live music at every meal with professional musicians.

The beach is amazing and you can walk for miles and miles if you like. They have someone to get your chairs for you and wipe them off and there is always a waiter who will run up to the bar to get you whatever you like. There is a hobbie cat that comes around and will take you out for a sail in the beautiful clear water. Pack bug spray because of the sand fleas!

Your butlers (everyone gets two because they work 16 hours a day, every other day) will basically assist you with whatever you need. Ramon and Alex always seemed to be there whenever we had a question...if you don't see them around, just call reception and they will find them and send them to you immediately! Ramon arranged a special Super Bowl party for us and a birthday bash!

We tipped because we wanted to and we never felt pressured! I'm sure we would have got the same impeccible service if we didn't, but a few pesos go a long way for these employees. If you are looking for things to bring instead of giving money...we were told they love our gum and chocolate, the ladies like stockings.

There is a "town" right next door (literally beside the front restaurant) that has a spa and gym, cigar store, restaurants (the resorts get a special price of 10 pesos per person for a set menu and all you can drink wine and beer...I know you've already paid for all inclusive, but the Japanese Tepanyaki restaurant is really worth it...have your butler book it) The vendors don't barter, but the prices for their wares is really low to begin with. The town is basically staged and is a common area that all the hotels share. There is a disco (again 10 pesos to get in, but all you can drink) and every week they have a Carnival night with local food and bands and fireworks...it is 15 pesos, but worth it if you like to party!!

There is EVERY type of liquor available ( I saw Corona beer, Canadian Club Whisky, Glenfiddich, Jose Cuervo tequila...every name brand Vodka) and the bartenders can make you anything you like. It is all made to order in a blender...no giant generic slushie machine drinks here!

There is NEVER waiting in line for anything....check in and out is taken care of by your butlers and bellboys...no having to make restaurant reservations...you could park your behind in a deck chair for the entire week and not have to lift one finger if you choose to do so! The place was fully booked when we were there, but it never seemed crowded.

There are excursions available to book...I heard the power boat one was excellent...again, let your butler do it! The tv's have many Canadian channels to choose from and oddly American ones as well! I was quite surprised at that. I'm not sure if there is internet available, but we did call home and it was around $1 per minute. For golf fans...Cuba only has 2 courses and the closest one is 4 hours away....

There is a panoramic double decker bus that you can take for 1 peso and it goes around the island to the other resorts and other "towns". You can also rent cars and mopeds next door at the Memories resort.

The rooms are HUGE and the maids make you nice little towel animals. The rainforest shower head is a delight and the bathstubs are deep! They have a nightly turn down service and leave chocolates on your pillow. In my personal opinion, bungalows 5 and 6 are the best....closest to the pool and beach...get a 2nd floor room and you have an ocean view. But, if you really think about it...how much time do you spend in your room anyway?? Every room is a good room!

If you're not sure how good you have it here, just zip next door to Memories for a while and you'll quickly realize what an extraordinary place this is!!

Here are some employees who went above and beyond for us and deserve special recognition....Belkis in the Sunset Grill, Raxon on the beach, Daniel the bellboy, Felix in the Sunset bar...Julie and Omar the managers who were ALWAYS visible and willing to talk and assist you, Dimey at the upper pool bar and Ramon and Alex, our butlers.....oh and of course, Super Mario!!

Room Tip: Bungalows 5 and 6 are close to the beach and lower pool
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
25  Thank SherriStocks

Dear guests:

My God we don't know what to say! What an amazing comment! We are at a loss for words! So full of energy, so full of life and beautiful details! You made smile from the beginning to the end! It was such a blast to have you at our hotel during your vacation.

Ha! We love it! The quiet pool and the quieter pool! Perfectly said! It describe exactly our hotel, peaceful and quiet! It is great that you mention that you were able to get active anyways though, as we always repeat the same comment: ask and you shall receive! We want to access to your every want and need and will do whatever we can to do so! All you need to do is mention it to anyone at all. As you say, from bellboys to management we only have one goal only: to make you happy!

Just to make the information clear though, calling Canada from Cuba is NOT 1 peso a minute but 2.05 PESOS A MINUTE. Unfortunately reverse charge calls and 1-800 numbers cannot be used.

It was an absolute delight to read you dear guests just as it was to have you with us. We certainly hope you will give us the inmense pleasure to welcome you again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your perfect hotel!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I believe that a 5 star rating should be a 5 star wherever it is in the Caribbean. This was not my experience at the Royalton when I compared it to other 5 star properties that I have visited.

Some of the things that I observed that made it less than a 5 star experience for me:

Dress code not enforced at dinner- eating beside men with muscle shirts, shorts, and toes exposed.

Not enough dessert choice at dinner. It seemed that ice cream, flan, and rice pudding were consistently on the dessert menu and I felt them to be easy and no effort offerings.

Most theme nights not well executed at dinner. We sometimes waited a long time for items to arrive.

Some employees had a hard time understanding English.

Sliding patio door of terrace suite appeared to have already been jimmied. This made me feel unsafe in a propery that was only 6 weeks old.

Shower overflowed in bathroom due to a design flaw.

Some things that I liked and enjoyed were:

Lobby bar piano player was very good.

Beach and beach service were excellent.

Live musicians at lunch and supper were top rate.

Breakfast and lunch were very good.

Pools were excellent.

Nice bed for sleeping and excellent maid service.

Cuban people were very nice.

The management looked to be taking a lot of time touring the property with various business groups. I didn't feel that management was approachable with any negative comments and felt dismissed when I tried to raise any negative issues.

4  Thank Terry J
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Dear guests:

Of all the comments we have received since the opening of our new little gem, we have to admit that yours is the one that surprised us the most and that we did not expect at all.

You are absolutely right that there are many business groups that come and visit our new hotels. Most of them are our own management team that comes to analyze our products and the actions we are taking to ensure the best products and services.

The management's first and foremost preoccupation is your well-being. We are open to all comments; in fact, we very often approach our clients to get them ourselves. If we didn't ask you directly first it was not our intention. The management and the rest of our team try first-hand every day to ensure that a contact has been made with all of our clients daily to get their impressions and if their needs are fulfilled. As we always say, your comments are what make us better. There is no better way to know what you prefer or don't then by going to the source itself.

As you can see above, because of your comments, many things have been resolved since our opening:

-Deficient shower stalls have been fixed.
-English has greatly improved by talking more and more to you every day! Many of our employees have started working with us with much work experience from working in Cuba.
-Sliding doors are easily fixed as the parts that were sent to us originally were not the right ones. There is no reason to feel unsafe in our hotel. Your safety is as important to us as your satisfaction. Had the door been reported, it would have been fixed immediately.
-More products have been brought in for variety both for main courses and deserts, although our most popular ones continue to be the rice pudding and flan!
-Dress code is mildly reinforced for your own comfort. If someone goes in our restaurants inappropriately, we make certain to advise for everybody's comfort as well.

Thank you for your comments dear guests as they are the key to our success!

We sincerely hope you will come back and visit us to see our improvements at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royalton in early February, 2013. We found the resort beautiful, with a quiet atmosphere that was perfect for a romantic getaway. The beach was fantastic, and we were very comfortable lying around the pool. We especially enjoyed their pool side gazebos with king-size mattresses. I belive that the Royalton is the highest-rated hotel in Cuba, and I can understand why.

The only thing that we found disappointing was the food. With a few exceptions (the calamari at the 24-hour snack bar and the grilled seafood at one of the a la carte restaurants) the food was bland and unsatisfying. Also, while everyone at the Royalton was very friendly, the servers at the restaurnats are not especially attentive. It takes a while to get served, our requests were often forgotten, and we were almost never asked if we'd like refills on our drinks.

Tips:

1. Get up early and claim one of the pool-side gazebos by leaving your towels there. They are fantastic. Also, you can take you in-room blanket and drape it over one of the sides of the gazebo to get even more shade.

2. Walk over to the Memories resort, where you have dining privileges. Their buffet is not exactly stellar, but at least you have greater variety. The Memories resort is huge, sprawling, loud and full of kids. One walk through there and you'll appreciate the Royalton even more.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank TBC1566558
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is clear and honest and that is the way we like it! You have really understood the feel of our hotel and as you say the interesting aspect that gives your full access to the Memories Paraiso and Azul.

We are very happy to announce that we have brand new menus in all 3 restaurants! We are listening to our clients and taking in what is their favorite to put in into our menus and it works! Food of the Cuban culture is not very spicy in itself and we try to integrate a little bit of an international touch to satisfy everyone.

Thank you once again for your honesty dear guests.

We hope to welcome you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, where the food is not so iffy anymore!

Reviewed 6 February 2013

From the minute we stepped off the bus and onto the grounds of this amazing resort, we were treated like a king and queen for the week. We arrived January 28-February 4 and spent my birthday with staff and new friends. The butlers were forever busting their little behinds to make sure that you were happy and offering any services to please you. The bartenders were there as well to please you and made sure that they remembered what your favourite drinks were. Rooms were always fresh and clean with beautiful arrangements by the maids, full bar fridge everyday, and clean beach towels everyday. There is not one bad thing i can honestly say about this resort except for the fact that we had to come home. We did however hear a few grumbles from the people in the next room to us but they seemed like the type who wouldn't appreciate anything, and this is the truth. Complaining about the food, (which i thought was amazing, seafood everyday for this girl), complaining about the bed being to hard, (new resort , new beds, not worn in yet, and not all that hard, not in our bed at least), complaining about not having a garden view, (new resort, not completely finished with landscaping but working very hard on it), complaining about the weather, (seriously, stay home where it was -20 instead of what they call a cold front of 21). My husband and i plan on returning next year and hopefully we can bring some friends with us this time. We are very easy people to please and appreciate all that the staff and management do in this amazing place to please Canadians and Europeans. Hats off to Omar (the manager) and the staff who took care of us...Ariel and Orestes (our 2 personal butlers)...Leandre and Diami (the 2 main pool bartenders) and our maid Lesandra...keep up the good work everyone ....you are all doing a super job...kisses to all

3  Thank pennyromonhowells
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your generosity!! What a beautiful review! We love your positive way to see practical details! And it has nothing to do as you say that you are easy to please...on the contrary! When you don't sweat the small stuff, especially the stuff that cannot be controlled like the weather, or the softness of a bed, then everything is more enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning it.

Your pictures are so lovely! Love the catamaran on the beach, just beautiful! We sincerely than you for your encouragements for us and all of our team and nothing makes us happier to read that you will be back to visit us someday!

We look forward to make your vacation extra special once again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your super amazing place to stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#9 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!