“Amazing resort”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had an incredible week at the Royalton (Dec 7 - 14, 2013). Our main objective for this vacation was to relax and we got our moneys worth!! We were first greeted by the friendly staff at the reception, which was by the way, the easiest and shortest check-in I ever experienced. We were then escorted to our room by the very nice and courteous Mario, one of the Royalton's butlers. We had the chance to see him often on the site and he was always so friendly and helpful...thanks Mario! To be honest, all of the staff were just amazing...butlers (Thank you Mario and Ariel), maids, restaurant and bar servers (A very special thank you to Yuller at the Royalton cafe), reception staff....everyone says hello to you....they are always smilling, give great service and are very helpful. I've been to many resorts however this is the very best staff I've encountered. Kudos to Arthuro and his employees!!

The room was comfortable, clean and always had a full fridge (water, softdrinks, beer). The beach is just beautiful and never crowded and no need to get up at 6:00 am to get a palapa, there are more than enough for everyone. The are also 2 nice pools which are never overcrowded.

The food was very nice. Having the opportunity to eat in different restaurants (not buffets) in the evening was very pleasant. My only suggestion would be to have an additional place to eat for lunch. The Sunset snack bar is good however by having another place to eat lunch would give the guests more variety.

Overall, our stay at the Royalton was absolutely a joy and we will definitely be back.

Natalie and Marie (Montreal, Canada)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Talie68
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We’re humbled by your kind words, and cannot thank you enough for taking the time to provide such a detailed account of your stay.

Our goal is to provide the very best for our guests from check-in to checkout, and, as you noted, those efforts include an attention to detail that’s second to none. From our landscaping to our interior décor, you’ll find one-of-a-kind features wherever you go on property. Additionally, we place an emphasis on hiring the most qualified, professional staff, and we believe that’s reflected in the quality of service in every facet of your stay.

If there’s anything we can do to help facilitate a future visit, please don’t hesitate to let me know. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Miguel del Fraile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We have been to many resorts but had never travelled to Cuba, so this was a first for us. We had no expectations of Cuba nor of the Royalton and wanted the hotel to tell us what there was through the experience of being there. Therefore, what is written is what we experienced in our time there.
The rooms were more than adequate with no wasted space yet allowing for easy movement throughout the room by two people. The amenities such as bar fridges, cable television, ablutions and sitting facilities were more than adequate for the two of us.
The staff at the hotel was brilliant. They were courteous, warm, helpful and informative. Nothing seemed to be trouble to them and all things were done with a genuine smile. The dress of all was distinguishing and all were excellently groomed.
The check in process was painless since we were escorted to our room and check in was completed on the bus. The bus ride to the resort was very informative and we learned a bit about Cuba.
Our butler was Lionel, and I have to say the care and concern to make sure everything was perfect seemed like his devotion. The gentleman was always around and anticipated all of our needs. Our dinner reservations for the week were already set but we were always allowed to make adjustments as desired.
Drialise one of the waitressess' friendliness and willingness to engage in conversation was delightful. She speaks several languages and I was surprised when she started speaking to me in Italian. We had a delightful conversation and it brought back memories of Italy.
Dayana at the Eggcelence was a breath of fresh air and I looked forward to her friendly hug each morning.
Management -Again top notch to guests and the interaction I saw with their staff was very respectful. They always had a we can do that attitude and I felt they really meant it when they said, let us know what we can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Miguel was very professional and came to the rescue when we could not reach home through the internet.
While we were there wi-fi cards were in the process of becoming available. At that time there were anticipated shortly.
Food : Because of being a close friend with the ocean , you can find variety of seafood here. The only thing I would add is that at lunch it would be nice to have more than one place to dine as it becomes quite repetitive. Rumour has that this may be possible in the future.
The beach - The beautiful white sand gives you a feeling being in a place of peace and serenity. It is great for walking as the beach has a long stretch and you can walk for quite a distance. The water is crystal clear when there are no waves and sailing is great. I have to mention Dejeremy who was very helpful on the catamaran rides.
All in all, I have to say that we had a wonderful stay at the Royalton and have already booked once again in the month of February. Words can not express what an exceptionally beautiful and serene setting this lovely gem has.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank nunzia24
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Nunzia24 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your visit to our Royalton. We were all so pleased to see that you enjoyed the resort and enjoyed so many of the extra touches and surprises that we love to provide. I have taken special note of your comments regarding our staff members, and have passed along your compliments to each. Thank you for taking the time to recognize their special efforts.

I was pleased to see that you were already booked your next visit! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Miguel Del Fraile,
Royston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

We have just spent 8 days at the Royalton and have been thoroughly spoilt. From the check in to the way our butler organised the evening meals, the experience was exceptional. We found all of the staff to be friendly,smiling and interested in our well being without over intrusive. The meals were very good and the lunchtime BBQ's were great, we also enjoyed the fresh coconuts especially with a tot of rum from the pool bar.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Setter60
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts on your recent stay. We’re so happy to have been a part of your vacation. Our accommodations and service are certainly in a class of their own, and our BBQ at the pool is definitely a favorite among our guests.

We hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you’re ready for a Cuban getaway.

Miguel del Fraile
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We went back from 2nd to the 9th of December 2013. It is a first for us to go twice to the same resort.We loved it very much the first time, we had to go back.

What we love: a complete week without any stress, there is always enough palapas on the beach (beautiful), enough space around the pool, the dinner reservation are made by the butler.

Our butlers were Noelvis and Mario, two wonderful gentlemen that were always there if we needed.

As repeat customers, we had some nice surprises, that was very appreciated. But, we were repeat customers because our first visit was perfect already!

The food was good when we were here in February but now it is really good .The Canadian chef Sebastian really put a twist in flavors and presentation. I never imagine eating so well in Cuba.

The service: incredible everywhere !! In the restaurants , at the beach or the pools. In all my traveling I never saw such good service and it is given with a beautiful smile.

The director and assistant, Miguel and Arturo are really doing an excellent work keeping the standards so high.

The strong asset at the Royalton is the staff, genuine people and hard workers. Thank you all.

I am really not someone looking for a second home or to be a regular anywhere but the Royalton change all that, I just want to go back, and I will.

Just a little wink to a comment from gkp303 about smokers(allegedly Quebequers and Europeens). I am from Montreal but I now live in Ontario near Ottawa,

never saw so many smokers! I find it hard to imagine complaining about smoke. All the restaurants are non smoking .The area where people smoke are in complete open air.
Should there be section for food addicts? I saw some serious results of that.
Should there be section for alcool addicts? I saw some of that too.
Should we ban women wearing perfume in a restaurant?
The witch hunt is getting sooo old!
The world is not perfect, there is pollution, noise, crowd, but it is life. Only in our house can it be 100% what we want.
Outside there is all kind of humans, situations, and we should be open enough to face it, no?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank mimosa055
Dear mimosa055,

We would love to have you back for your 3rd visit! We can´t thank you enough for choosing Royalton Cayo Santa Maria as your second home. We are very grateful with our repeat guests. We will work very hard to surprise and pamper you in your next visit!

MIguel Del Fraile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I want to start by pointing out to anyone that said Cuban food sucks does NOT know where to eat! this was the best place I have ever been! he rooms were immaculate, butler service unbeatable and the atmosphere was amazing!
now, I want to say that we cried when we left! I miss lily like crazy! you will meet her when you go and she is the most amazing person I have ever met! she is the number one reason we will be returning! Franko, and all of the amazing bartenders and servers (far to many to name) as well as the butler staff, we miss you all too! this place is heaven. Cuba is a beautiful and SAFE country and we even took cabs to town and I never felt unsafe! highly recommend it. we did deep sea fishing which was great but I did end up sea sick but they took good care of me so no complaints here. and when lily heard I was ill she had the bartender make me a Cuban tummy medicine (no alcohol) and it fixed me right up! the staff got to know us so well that they were brining my coffee to my room before I even called ever morning! we did have our tub filled and a lovely note left by our butler which was wonderful! they brought us lobster by the pool, drinks were never empty, pizza on the beach and let my crazy other half play maracas in the band! oh and as for a snack bar, this is a 24 hour restaurant! burgers, well im not even going to start listing the food! it was all so amazing! now a note to my little lily! we did not forget you (you are hard to reach) so I knew that, well I hoped that this would reach you! we miss you so much and cant wait till we see you again. we tell everyone we meet what a great person you are and how we so wanted to just tuck you in our bag and bring you home! we will get you to visit Canada one day I promise! it is -32 here today and lots of snow so maybe not right now though haha! you made this trip better than we could have imagined. you stole our hearts and we think of you everyday. love and miss you all! from sara, trevor, kevin, connie, Nolan, flo, and paul!

Room Tip: we were on a second floor (1107) and we could see right to the ocean however you spend such little t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sarafulford
Dear Sarafulford,

Thank you for choosing Royalton Cayo Santa Maria for your vacation in Cuba. We are so pleased that we were able to create a positive impression. Thank you for your wonderful and kind comments about the staff. They truly enjoy what they are doing and positive comments such as yours are a real motivation for all of us.

Thank you for your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit in the near future!

Miguel Del Fraile
gatineau qc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We went to that resort from the 25th Nov. to 09 of Dec. Sunwing flight from Ottawa delay to start but more delay when we came back 12 hres yak but no fault to the rep or hotel but seems that is regular for Sunwing talking to few people even when the weather is good. For us I think Sunwing will be out of our plans next time.Nice small resort but communicating rooms stay away from those. You can hear your neighbor whispering, imagine! The hotel was nice enough to change us even if it meant going downstairs at least a bit of privacy.Butlers are there to give you your reservations to a la carte restaurant et to deal to day to day problems. We think that if management give them full charge of the clients sorry ain't so! Our butler who talk to management about change of room was promising a cabana ( remember we where on second floor and had to accept a downgrade to first floor for privacy concern) but that's not what management gave us. Do not promise something and give the client something else please that is not professional and we saw that it did bothered the butler but eh we didn't want to make a fuss and accept the first floor room. Food excellent service excellent friendly workers but would be nice having a mini buffet for lunch and supper like they have at eggscellence for breakfast. Show good but if you want lots of entertainment go to the Memories next door lots of it and buffet lots of choice very good and good service too. People staying at Royalton have access of the 2 Memories hotel , a little walk but good for your body and beside your going through the little pueblo(La estrella) and can see all the nice souvenirs offered there.I want to mention a special girl at the restaurant Dassanys (I hope I spelled it right) always smiling so friendly and god worker, management beware she is special and I hope they will recognize that. Beach very nice, surroundings (garden etc...) well taking care for. Saw somebody fishing and he caught a BARRACUDA! Yes and we saw a few jellyfish on the sand but not on Royalton side.We went there for relaxation and sure got it! Yes it is one of the best resort in Cuba. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: no communicating rooms cause lack of privacy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank catnapgirl
Dear Catnapgirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments and your review of our hotel. I was pleased to see that our Buttlers were able to assist you with your needs in our hotel.

I have taken note of those areas where you felt we fell short, and will review your comments with our team here at the resort as we want to ensure that all of our guests have the experience that so many others have shared and want to strive to meet and exceed our the expectations of those who travel to stay at our resort!

Thank you for your visit to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria and Cuba, we hope that you will consider returning to our area once again in the future.

Miguel Del Fraile,
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We have visited Royalton at the end of November. We were a group of 8 celebrating friends 50th birthday.
On the arrival we were greeted with a cool towel, a cocktail and a tropical fruit skewers.
Check in was a breeze and as we were enjoying our cocktails our butler Janet brought our package we were escorted to our rooms. Since each building has 2 butlers assigned, the following morning we were greeted by Mario, making sure that we got a good night sleep and making sure that everything is going well. Janet and Mario it was a pleasure to meet you....you've done a great job looking after us for a week.
We had a late arrival and our first meal was at the snack bar......wow the food there is great, from hamburgers, to soup, to awesome avocado salads and more. That first night we've met Reydel and Ana. Two wonderful individuals. Thank you guys for looking after us.
We had a wonderful time the very first evening we have arrived and it just got better with each day.
Royalton staff really made sure that our friend's birthday celebration is perfect and it was indeed.
From last minute reservation for 8 to cake flambé instead of candles.....Felix....great job.

All the restaurants at Royalton are a-la-carte for all the meals, but service is great and you don't wait long for your food.....you just have more time to mingle with your friends.
There is also a pool side bbq going during the lunch every day. We've tested some delicious lobster and salmon from the grill.....yummy. Also, the pool bar at the lobby brings back good memories, as Daimy always was there to meet our needs.

The beach is gorgeous and there is plenty of lounge beds for everyone. The beach is very long, so if you like walking, it's perfect.
Entertainment at the resort is not your usual big theater show. We have jazz night, classical music, aquatic show, just to name few....done very tastefully. Everything about the place is relaxing. Everyone wants to make sure that by the time you go home, your stress is gone.....and it was.
One thing at Royalton.....the management is there with people, making sure that everyone's satisfied. Miguel and Arturo thank you for making our stay so special. Resort itself is beautiful, food and entertainment are great, the beach and the sun relaxing, but the Royalton staff.... that's what makes the resort so special. The smiles and constant interaction with people made us feel like a part of your Royalton family. And since you celebrated your 1st anniversary...here it is CHEERS TO YOU ALL!!!! GTREAT JOB AND SEE YOU SOON!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank myscreenvw
Dear Myscreenvw ,

We are absolutely thrilled with your kind review. Comments like yours make us proud and encourage us to keep on working hard and offering the best of service to our dear guests.
We hope you and your group will choose Royalton Cayo Santa Maria again to celebrate the birthdays of all, so we can plan the party!

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon in your home in Paradise!

Miguel Del Fraile
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#8 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,006 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!