“Amazing resort - Fantastic Staff”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Moncton, Canada
“Amazing resort - Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Royalton made you feel special from the moment you arrived off the bus.

We actually had tears in our eyes as the bus pulled away from the lobby and seeing the staff wave us off with their hands over their hearts as we left for a trip back home.

FOOD - Excellent (only one improvement could be to get rid of those hash browns and use real fresh cut potatoes.

POOLS - Clean, warm. Pool guy does a great job cleaning the pool and scrubbing the lounge chairs.

BEACH - Best we have seen in Cuba.

BUTLERS - Lionel and Aldo are great guys and it was a pleasure to have them for the week. They just added to an already fantastic vacation!

STAFF - Absolutely outstanding staff. Migel and Mateau (Not sure of spelling) are always present and always working hard to make sure your stay is top notch. The waiters and waitress were such hard workers and always smiling.

ROOMS - Clean, spacious and I just loved that shower with that big rain shower head. We did find the pillows a bit flat and mentioned to our butler and that evening we had much better pillows.

GROUNDS - Beautiful doesn't even come close to describing it.

SECURITY GUARDS - Generally we wouldn't even consider to comment on such a thing but we did notice several times that they do really look after the Royalton guests. On several occasions we did see them turn away people from coming in from other resorts. Very impressed to see them ask guests from other resorts to move from the lounge chairs on the beach in the Royalton section. Good job guys!

INTERNET - Horrible. It would be nice to provide a laptop with WIFI since it does work somewhat and the internet was a total fail.

BARTENDERS - Fantastic! The guy bringing the drinks on the beach to your lounger was amazing. Never stopped serving and always with a huge smile :)

Definitely would return to this resort! Loved it

11 Thank ksclarke44
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for leaving such a nice comments of our staff.

Concerning the wifi, we would like to apologize if you couldnt enter to the internet. As you know our hotel is offering 2 options to use internet. 2 computers which are situated at the main lobby and you can use the internet, and the WIFI service with the possibility to use it at the main lobby, both pools, snack bar and other areas around. The service is provided by an external company called Etecsa, and we are helping everyday to our guest explaining how to use it in order to keep the minutes and to surf on the internet properly.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My sister and I stayed at the beautiful Royalton resort between Feb 10 and 17th. If I was to keep this review to 1 sentence only, I'd simply say “heaven on earth”. But since this place is seriously worth gushing over, I'll go on.

- First I would describe Royalton as a small adults only boutique resort. We loved it. If you’re looking for peace, quiet, and tranquility, you’ll find it here. With two gorgeous pools and one of the most beautiful beaches… your hardest decision everyday will be where to spread your towel :)

- We stayed on the ground floor of one of the bungalows; which means we had a nice view of greenery. It felt peaceful and private. We found our room to be spacious, clean, and very well appointed.

- The resort is situated next to a fabulous little market, where you can buy souvenirs, get fresh coconut water, or Cuban delicacy: freshly juiced sugar cane on ice. This market also has a bank where you can exchange your money, but keep in mind that the bank is only open Mon-Fri.

- The beach is simply gorgeous, with the softest sand ever; and the ocean was a perfect shade of turquoise blue. A lounge chair was always available for a Royalton member, any time of day… 9am or 2pm, shade or sun, it didn’t matter, there were always more chairs than users. The same can be said for the pools, plenty of chairs or cabanas to stretch out on.

- Royalton has three restaurants. Two are open for breakfast, one is open 24hours for snacking anytime… and all 3 are open for dinner. You butler will make your dinner reservations at the time and place you prefer. Even-though we had the option of visiting and dining at a neighboring resort, my sister and I opted not to. The food at Royalton was fresh and delicious, with more than enough variety to last us a week.

- The are 4 bars and they were never crowded; a seat could always be found at one. Although I must confess if we were at the beach or the pool, 95% of the time we took advantage of having refreshments come to us and not vice versa :) For a drink before dinner, The Piano bar at the main house was perfect… it reminded me of the bar at the Ritz-Carleton hotel in Toronto: classy, comfortable, relaxing.

I could go on and on, but I feel this review is getting out of hand :) So last but not least the staff at Royalton is top notch. Our butlers Ariel and Lester checked in with us daily, to ensure we enjoyed our stay and had all we needed. The ladies who tidied up our room, the entertainment staff, the bartenders, the gardeners, the wait staff, the maintenance team, the musicians, the performers, basically everyone who works at Royalton has a great big THANK YOU from us, for making us feel welcome and making our stay so fabulous.

If you’re looking for a perfect tropical getaway, look no further because Royalton is your paradise. I'm already thinking about my next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank lucy358
Dear Lucy,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We spent 2 weeks at this resort and found the large majority of staff and the administration truly excellent and eager to please. It was our first trip and we travelled with Sunwing. Our accommodations were satisfactory but would request upper floor for sea view on next trip although our suite was certainly large enough and very pleasant with living area etc... The only disappointment was the loss of my Bobby Brown eye make-up ($400.) that was taken from the counter where I applied my lipstick prior to dinner reservations. I did not use any other make-up during first 5 days as the change of water gave me a rash and I didn't want to iritate my skin further but I still dumped my make-up case onto counter nightly to access lip pencil and lipsticks. This "loss" occurred between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. while we dined. I always put my make-up back into case and into the cupboard in the morning before we left for the day. I was so upset when I discovered the loss ( day 6 )but did not notify management as I wasn't certain what night it was taken nor by whom. I knew people had entered the room as the bed was turned down 2 nights in a row until I put a stop to that (days 6/7). I probably shouldn't have left all that stuff in plain view and I certainly couldn't suffer loss of employment of several employees when perhaps only one had been culpable. However, I will not return as we were extremely generous with tips and I felt violated. It was ,nonetheless, a most beautiful spot but once burned, twice shy.
Caroline 013

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor balcony facing the sea./
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Caroline013
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your review and for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts.
We are really sorry about the lost in your room but we dont understand why you didnt report this lost and why you dont want to come back to our hotel.

By the other nad thanks to said that our hotel is toally realixng and you found our Sunset Staff out of this world.

Rothesay, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Cuba, second to Cayo Santa Maria, and first to the Royalton. Last year we stayed next door at the Memories Resort, and when we saw and heard about the Royalton, we knew this is where we wanted to go this year, and we weren't disappointed.

What an amazing resort, I give it five stars, and wish that I could give it more. We stayed from February 17th to the 24th, 2014, and must say that this was the best vacation we have ever had. The resort is very relaxing and quite, just what I'm looking for, if you are looking for a party place to go all night at, then this may not be the place for you. The resort is small with only 122 rooms. There are 3 restaurants, 2 pools, and 4 bars. None of the restaurants are buffets, all meals are a la carte, so there is never a line up anywhere.

The Lobby and 2 of the restaurants are located at the top of the resort (furthest from the beach) along with the Lobby bar (Cafe Royalton), a pool (and pool bar), and 6 cabanas that have 2 Royalton Suites each in them (12 of the 122 rooms). At the bottom of the resort are the 11 bungalows that have 10 rooms each (6 rooms on the ground floor and 4 rooms on the second floor) for the remaining 110 rooms. Here you will find the second pool and pool bar, the Sunset restaurant (24 hours), and lunch time BBQ. The forth bar is located at the beach. The resort is built on a bit of a hill but is relatively small in size compared to other resorts, so it is very easy to get around and everything feels very close.

The rooms in the bungalows were very nice and spacious. A thing to note about how the rooms are laid out is that all the balcony's from every room face towards the ocean, none are facing away. We were in room 1108 which was a king-size balcony with garden view, but we actually had a decent view of the ocean even though there was a row of bungalows in front of us.

The staff here are unbelievable! Our butlers, Yoloy and Frank took wonderful care of us and our needs and our maid Sandra kept our room spotless and was always friendly to talk with. The management were always approachable and friendly, and we had many pleasant conversations with Matthew and the General Manager Miguel, who you saw constantly around the resort making sure everything was perfect. The attention to detail that they all give is second to none.

The food, what can I say about the food. I have always said on my previous trips to Cuba that I don't go there for the food. I have never gone hungry in Cuba, and have never gotten sick from the food, but it was never anything to write home about. At the Royalton it was a completely different story. Perhaps it was due to there not being any buffets, so therefore everything was freshly made, but I think just overall the food quality was much higher than what we have experienced before. Breakfast at Eggcellence was a great way to start the day, the BBQ at lunch was always good and the diners at night always had great selections and variety.

This is a resort that we would definitely recommend to family and friends and it will be our primary destination from now on when we head south for our vacation...it is our Cuban home away from home!!!!!

We did one excursion during our visit, which was the speed boat. It was 39CUC per person and included going our on a catamaran to snorkel at a coral reef, then back to the marina to head out in small 2 person speed boats through the waterways. We really enjoyed and it and felt it was well worth the money.

Room Tip: For best views of the ocean, I would recommend the balcony rooms as due to the vegetation i doubt th...
9 Thank Jeremy D
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Jeremy_Donovan,

First of all thank you for trust in our company Royalton Luxury resorts and thank you for choosing the first Royalton hotel in the world, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

It is a pleasure how you enjoyed your stay with us and you shared your beautiful experience with other travellers on the internet.

Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We just returned after spending 2 weeks (Feb 14-Feb 28)at this Haven. Firstly let me say that this is our 14th trip to Cuba.
From the very first minute where we were greeted by our Bulter (Lionel) with a welcome drink and cold clothes to the last moment of getting on the bus to leave for the airport this has to be the best and most relaxing stay ever. I am secretly hoping that not too many people read these reports as we can not wait to go back next year and do not want to find that it has been booked.
What can I say that hasn't been said previously?
The rooms are all great and very clean with special thanks to Juliet for the wonderful towel arrangements. We had the Jr Suite with the oceanview and will ask for this again.
The beach is is the most beautiful beach we have ever experienced. There is always a chair for you and the beach staff are always there to help you find one.
All the restaurants are A la Carte and the reservations are made for you by your butlers and can be changed if needed. The Butlers are only to happy to serve you with any wish. What a service!!!!!!
The food is the best we have ever had in Cuba thanks to Head Chef Sebastian from Whitby Ontario (small world)and his great staff. We had Lobster 3 times at least.
Drinks at the Bars are all tasty especially like to thank Eduardo at the Lobby Bar for the Best Chocolate Monkey.
The Servers at all the restaurants are very attentive and friendly. Special thanks to Albert- my Cuban son( Sunset Grill) who always made sure our wine glasses full. Also Osvaldo who always greeted us with a smile and made each meal perfect. Lastly( and I could mention alot more names) Tatiana who is exceptional and the special flaming dessert she surprised us with on our last night will never be forgotten.
In closing we would like to thank both Miguel and Arturo. We have never had the direct contact and attention from any managerial staff at the hotels at any of the resorts we have stayed at; so you can imagined how surprised we were to see these 2 gentlemen walking around the resort and stopping to talk with you to ask if you have any concerns or if there is anything the staff could do to make your stay better. We found this outstanding and may be the reason that this resort is what it is ...the BEST.

Room Tip: All rooms are good....
9 Thank Bea B
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Bea B,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on this website and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba.

We are very happy reading how you enjoyed in our facilities and how you mention all the workers who made your stay perfect!

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was our third time to the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria resort- and was not disapointed.
Everything about this resort is faboulous from the atmosphere, to the rooms, to the dilicious food.
We have travelled extensively to DR,MEXICO,Cuba, but this by far is the best resort in the Carribean. Thus the reason for our return.
Our room was beautiful, everything is so close to get to being a small resort.
I was most impressed with the food and the menus of the resort. The beach is by far the best you will ever find- and lots of room on the beach area for everyone to have their space and not be on top of one another like sardines. The pools are also beautiful and quiet.
The security on the resort watching out from guests who do not belong was very impressive. You will feel safe knowing that people from neighboring resorts from both sided of the resorts are not permitted on the propertly and the beach area- they will be quickly asked to leave.
The absolute best thing about this resort to me is the staff.. They work so hard to keep everyone happy-(and of course we all know thats next to impossible)- these young people work hard all day and can never do enough for you. Miguel you should be very proud of your staff and know that this is what really makes the place #1.
Everyone from our maid, to the restaurant staff, to all the bartenders, bell boys, gardners to every one else - is the true gem of this place.
There is so much more I can say about this resort- but wont repeat all the other previous reviews- they really speak for themselves. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions. I cannot wait to return back to my second home- planning for Christmas (if not sooner, lol)

Sandy and Luigi

Room Tip: All the rooms are good- the bungalows are so close to each other and the main restaurants
14 Thank AGOLYCH
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Sandy and Luigi,

Thank you to be part of the Royalton´s family and also for be part of our history visiting us for the 3th time in one year. We are very proud and happy with your words and thanks again for saying that this is the best resort in the Caribbean.

We will be more than happy seeing you again with us,

Kind regards from your Cuban home,

Regina
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We’ve just enjoyed our 4th trip to Cuba and stayed at the Royalton in Cayo Santa Maria (our 2nd trip to this area). This trip was to celebrate our 25th anniversary and it did!!

Being that this was our second trip to the island we were somewhat familiar with this area .This resort is by far the best resort in the area and has the best food we have ever tasted in Cuba! All the restaurants are à la carte, 24 hour room service, butler…wow!!

We had a main floor room which was very nice (ocean views were all booked up). The room was nice and very adequate for our week long stay. If there was anything to mention on the negative, we noticed tiny ant like bugs on both the washroom and fridge countertops; they never bothered us and this is a tropical environment.

The resort is physically small and cozy – a lap around the resort makes for a lovely evening stroll; the grounds are immaculate! The pool was amazing with plenty of beach chairs and comfy whimsical day beds (a great place for an afternoon nap!!). Sometimes the day beds were hard to get but you could always get a chair. We are beach people but due to the weather a couple of days we had to stay at the pool because the wind was blowing sand. The traffic on the beach is high with people walking but this is due to size of the resorts around the Royalton (Memories is next door). There was always beach chairs available. The market was just a short walk and it was where you could purchase souvenirs, cigars and rum. The market also has a bank, more restaurants and a spa.

If you want a place to just relax, look no further. Service is the best we have had in Cuba thanks to the wonderful Royalton staff!

Stayed week of Feb 17th, 2014.

Room Tip: If available book a second floor room
5 Thank TripJefe
Dear guest,

First of all congratulations for your 25th wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing us for such important event.

We are very proud reading that you liked our hotel and you found our food the best that you have ever tried in Cuba. Thank you!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#8 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,051 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!