“Exceded Our expectations!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If I have to wrap it up in a few words ,the Royalton was a place of relaxation, excellent service and staff, breathtaking beaches and amazing food!

I can't wait to return! Thank you for a lovely vacation!

Room Tip: We had room 508. It's on the second floor overlooking the ocean. Private enough that you can s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Petra E
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Petra E,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We will share your "few words" with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Write a ReviewReviews (3,180)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I will start by saying that the hotel grounds are beautiful, rooms are beautiful, and the ocean is to die for. My husband and I went to the Royalton from July 6-13. Our first impression of the resort was lovely but I wasn't certain about the staff. I am have been to Cuba 20x times and I am use to Cuban people being overly friendly and full of hugs and kisses. This was not the case here for the first 2-3 days. They were very professional and it seemed like they didn't want to "cross that line". All that being said, on day 3 and the remaining trip, the staff really lightened up so I would relate it all to once they feel comfortable, they are over the top friendly.

A few people off hand that i would like to mention is Frank, Alberto, Daymi, Amaury, yanet and Asiel. Frank is the man. He makes the resort what it is. Very outgoing and friendly
Alberto is the best waiter EVER!
Daymi was our maid and she really took care of our room
Amaury is another waiter whose smile lights up the room
Yanet and Asiel were our butlers and they went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable

Food:
Every meal was delicious. Snack bar to Senses to Eggselense and even room service. No complaints AT ALL!

Beach:
Beautiful even though I got stung by a jellyfish. White powder sand and crystal clear waters. My only complaint would be for them to raise up the canopies as they sit really really low.

Pools:
Two pools that are very clean. Both pools are quite with the bottom pool having music and the odd activity. On our first 3 days, you weren't getting a cabana unless you played the towel game but the worst part is that hubby and I sat in the sun on a lounger and 4 Cabanas went unused for 4 hours and 45 minutes (yes we were counting). This isn't right and I would like to see management manage this a little better as on the Cabanas themselves, there is a sign that says if they go unused for an hour, your items will be removed. I never saw this and even asked the bar if we can move some belongings as they haven’t been there all day and I was told no.
The bottom pool had a lot of tiles missing and they ended up shutting the pool down on day 3 for the remainder of our stay. Yes this sucked but they have to do it at some time or another and they did compensate all guests with a free excursion

Excursions:
Plane to Havana - stunning views, a very long day with a lot of walking but worth every minute. Don't be afraid to say no to the beggars are they swarm around you all the time. This trip was worth every cent

Jeep Safari - My favorite trip out of all. We went to watch a rooster fight, went to a farm, went to a national park where we went swimming in the most amazing waters ever seen. Awesome experience. My favorite part was giving gifts of shoes, soap, toothpaste etc. to all the people in all the towns as we drove by

Speed boats - My hubby loved this one and I enjoyed it also. I ended up coming face to face with a Barracuda that had to have been over 5 feet long. We enjoyed this trip.

If I had to say anything negative I would say that the ants in the room, can be a little bit much. We didn't leave anything out that the ants would be attracted too but they were pretty bad in the bathroom and above the mini fridge. We also ran into a family emergency back home and a few messages were left for us at the front desk that didn't make its way to us. We asked management about this and he was going to look into what happened and we didn't hear anything back at all. That was a little disappointing. We also had a couple days were both yanet and Asiel were off and we had no idea who our butler was. That being said, on one of those days, we were on an excursion for the majority of the day so we wouldn't have had a chance to meet the person that day but the one day we were around, I had no clue who it was.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing vacation. It was one of the best resorts that I have ever been too in Cuba. I will be going back to this resort for sure.

TIP: Bring bug spray as it's mosquito season there from like April to October and they're BAD! This is not only this resort as it's all of Cuba during this time

Room Tip: We had room 0510 and it was right close to the beach and lower pool. Stunning ocean views and close...
5  Thank Tucker16

Dear Tucker,

Thank you for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa maria.

We have read all your review and we thank you for saying that this was one of the best resorts that you have ever been in Cuba.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort for us it was amazing, we were there last year end of July begining of August for 7 days and we had a wonderful relaxing time. This year we decided to go back for 10 days. It's a good place to relax , away from home and the stress life that we all have. We recommend this resort. Can wait to be there .....

Room Tip: Balcony , 2nd floor to see the view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank N V

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for trust in our company again, Royalton Luxury resorts.

We are very happy reading that you will come back to visit us!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I don't usually take the time to write reviews after a vacation. This time I decided I needed to. My fiance and I stayed at the Royalton for a week. We had heard many great things about the resort, including the romantic atmosphere, the great food and the beautiful scenery. We also heard about the great customer service from the reviews and from our Sunwing travel agent.

First of all the scenery WAS beautiful, the pools were amazing, the beach was perfect. The room was clean and nice. Our "butler", the person who organizes your dinner reservations, attends to anything you need, Diana, was exceptional!!

We have been to Cuba before and stayed in a much larger resort, of course larger resorts have a buffet, more activities and in general more to do. But these things are not the comparison that leads me to only rate this resort average. For the most part, with the exception of Diana as well as the other butlers, a few of the bell boys and the towel attendant the service was not what we had expected. The servers were at most times down right rude. It would take 2 hours to finish a lunch or a dinner because we would be forgotten about or at some time actually ignored. There were some very friendly servers but that was not the norm.

It was extremely disappointing to pay a large amount of money to go on a 5-star trip and be treated so poorly. We were always pleasant with everyone. We tipped very well. Some of waiters and waitresses we had did not even reply when we greeted them. It certainly did not help to meet the expectations of the romantic atmosphere we had heard so much about. We spent a lot of our trip wondering if it was us? Did they not like us? Did we do something wrong? And honestly that is NOT something I should have to worry about after spending a small fortune to enjoy a week of relaxation.

If you are looking for beautiful scenery, a small quiet resort and you don't care about how you are treated than I highly recommend this resort. But if you are looking to receive friendly service, I would skip the benefit of the small resort and go to a large resort where maybe the pool area is louder and there are more people but the service is certainly much friendlier.

I want to say one more time that Diana was fantastic, so were all of the staff at the front desk. The bell boys were wonderful and a few of the servers were friendly and polite.

17  Thank Ashley C
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We are very sad reading you review because during your stay we had not any bad feedback of you, and all the comments that we had from you butler Diana were perfect.

We apologize if you didnt enjoy your stay and we would like to see you here again in order to welcome you personally and to show you the reallity of the 5 star, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have gone to Punta cana the last three years(stayed at ocean sand) and loved every trip.Last year another couple traveled with us,had such a great time also that they brought another couple to join us this year. We range in age from49-55.we never had any interest to go to Cuba because of what we hear about the food-we love food, but reading all these great reviews about this new resort and how amazing the food was, we thought we would give it a try.We booked in August and traveled Apr4-11th this year. It was not cheap-everyone was saying you paid what to go to Cuba! We are not cheap people and after reading all the reviews thought we would get our moneys worth.

First of all ,our flight-had to travel with sunwing as it is their resort. Myself and my friend are terrified to fly. When we were taxi-ing, everyone on the flight was saying what is that smell. We are smelling a very strong fuel smell. Pilot made an announcement saying not to worry about it as it is the fumes coming from the other planes in front of us through the vents. So we don't worry. Fourty-five minutes into our flight the pilot makes another announcement saying not worry but we have a small fuel leak and have to return to the Toronto airport. There were fire trucks all around when we landed and we were pulled to a gate so we could all unboard and wait for sunwing-to find another
plane for us. This was very nerve racking for me and my friend whom now have to endure another dreaded takeoff -this is the scariest part of flying for myself. This took approx. 5hrs. We were to arrive at the resort around noon but did not get there until supper time. This is very important to us as we lost a whole afternoon of great weather. The overall weather for the week was great our first four days but our last two days it was total cloud cover (the sun came out our last day for less than an hour) rain,very cool and windy and the ocean unsafe to go in-red flags were up. This is no fault of the hotel but the loss of 1/2great day because of fuel leak is Sunwings fault. We have also not experienced this kind of bad weather on all our previous trips to Punta cana-if it rained or clouded over, it cleared up with in a couple of hours. Bus ride to resort was long but very enjoyable as we are looking so forward to finally get our vacation started.

The resort is very clean and nice. Check in a breeze, which was alot faster than Punta cana. Rooms nice and good size. We did have some ants in our room which I had read about and did find a large roach in our room hallway one night-must have gotten in under the door. Traveling in the Caribbean, this did not ruin my vacation. We had two butters during the week Orestes and Janet. We never had butler service before so this was new for us. They were both really nice but not really needed? They made all our dinner reservations for us and did change them as we all wanted to eat together and go at earlier times than what they booked us for. We did not get any special bath set up for us. Janet did print us off dinner menus for the whole week as my husband and I were having such a hard time to find something we would like for dinner. I did let Orestes know also we were having a hard time eating for dinner.At the ocean sand resort no dinner reservations are needed, it is all first come first serve-we always went five minutes before restaurant opening and got seated right away-we loved that option. Maid service was very good and she left us little notes and towel
art through out the week-loved that.

Heres what our disappointment was with. The food for dinner and the overall lack of fun, entertainment.

First the food. I knew there was no buffet here, I was a little worried but with a snack bar I thought we would still have an option to find something. Wrong! The snack bars turns into one of the restaurants for the evening where you have to choose one of the four or five preset options. My husband and I aren't seafood eaters and only eat chicken white meat or wings, beef ,pork. All the chicken dishes are made with legs or thighs. I had to keep asking for each chicken dish as it doesn't state which cut of chicken it is on the menu. The waiter tells me it is chicken leg cut off the bone, made
flat so it is chicken steak! It is still a leg to us ,which we won't eat. There were no beef options all week for dinner until our final night-some type of steak. It was a little tough but happy we finally had a beef entry to choose. Our friends do eat seafood but said it wasn't great seafood. They had Italian night so I tried the lasagna. It was ham layered through the noodles so not really lasagna but the piece came out on a lovely 10-12inch round plate but I was lucky if the piece was 3x3inches. We had pork chop one night-that was our only option that we would eat(there were usually two or three seafood options, one chicken dish and maybe a pork option on all dinner menus) . It was ok but then again the very next night it was on the menu again and our only option. We had room service then and a few times throughout the week. It was hit or miss. We ordered two BLT's with fries and a salad and ended up with ten plates of food to our room-double the order of everything-LOL. Some times room service was very quick and sometimes took over two hours. There are no desserts here during the day whatsoever except rice pudding,cuban flan and ice cream. Even at supper when they do have proper desserts (Italian night was tiramisu) the slice was no bigger than 1inch wide and that is it ,one little dessert. I love my desserts so this was a huge letdown for me. We journeyed over to the sister resort and looked at that buffet. It looked and smelled terrible. The washrooms were awful and dirty. This resort is massive and had like4000+guests there at that time-but with the money we paid, we shouldn't have to go to that resort to find something to our liking to eat for supper .Breakfasts were ok as we could get the basic breakfast off menu but again slow. The say they have a small buffet at breakfast but totally of no use to our liking, just sliced cheese, salami and some fruit-nothing hot or even close to the Punta cana breakfast buffet.There was no baileys for our coffee . They gave us some other yellow creamy stuff that looked soured and chunky in our coffee-it was horrible and
never had it again. Lunch BBQ by the pool was great-we loved the lunches-they did have beef kabobs here every day, again chicken was legs but at least we did get the beef. The rice was awesome and they had a pig roast also great. Snack bar was beside the pool so you could get burgers, BLT's, salad,etc. They would even bring it to your poolside cabaña if you wanted. We loved, loved,loved the lunchtime!!

The staff and service was GREAT here. The bartenders (pool and beach) all worked so hard and so did the drink server Roli at the pool-never got an order wrong and so quick. The drinks were very good. You could have them strong or weak, just let them know. Love, love loved these guys. We did find that overall we tipped8 more here than Punta cana because we see the same servers all week long and they worked so hard and they were so friendly-they deserved it!! We only went into the pool by the snack bar. Yes tiles are missing but that didn't ruin vacation. Both pools are beautiful but upper pool is totally quiet. The beach is crystal clear ,white sand and beautiful! You could wak for miles.

Now the other part of lack of fun at the resort that we weren't happy with. Now we are a little older but we are not dead yet! The beach has no music going whatsoever. No games going on. Nothing! Because of this we did not spend as much time at the beach as usual. All umbrellas are lined up in a single row with nothing to be entertained by. Boring! We do not necessarily join games but like to watch fun.At the pool is a little better but not much. There is a trio playing soft Cuban dinner music in the afternoon, pretty much the same songs over and over. No liveliness at all. The fake little town in between the two resorts plays great Latin music, loved this. They should play a little bit more upbeat music at some time during the day by the pool. A younger couple put on their music and were asking other guests if it was ok and everyone was saying they loved it and thought the resort was too quiet. Within twenty minutes they were asked to turn it off as someone had complained-that person should have booked their vacation in a retirement home instead. There were no activities by the pool at all. On my last day there I was asked if I wanted to do water aerobics. I said great as I didn't even know there was water aerobics. I asked how many people are there and she told me just myself. I told her if she got more people to come back. Well she got one more-LOL! I asked if they were going to play music and she said no, no no-this is the quiet resort! Myself and the other lady did the aerobics with the instructor saying over and over one and two and three and four. Instead of enjoying the water aerobics which I usually do, I was embarrassed. No lively entertainment here at night. We went down to the lobby bar one night and it was a cellist playing classical music-not our cup of tea. When we pay so much money for a Cuban trip, why do we have to go to another resort to see entertainment? We are not
partiers and both myself and hubby and our best friends are celebrating our29th anniversaries this
year but expect some fun from our vacations. We met a few couples who were on their 2nd &3rd time there and loved it. Everyone has their own point of view and expectations. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy our vacation but just didn't enjoy it or have as much fun as our Punta cana trips. I feel bad for the third couple that came along with us this year as they have never been to an all inclusive resort and feel they didn't get to experience a really great vacation. We did fill out a questioner card and also the management team was doing serveys on our last day-we did tell the how we felt and what was lacking.

Now as for Sunwing. We complained to the rep at the resort and he told us to write in and complain as Sunwing is known to be number one in customer service. Upon returning to Toronto, we found out that it was a great fuel leak as we leaked a large amount of fuel down our taxi runway and also our take off runway and that the one wing tank was empty! This put us in danger along with all the passengers on that flight. Our TVs did not work properly on the flight returning to Toronto after our vacation either. Don't waste your money on the VIP lounge as they only have ham and cheese on a bun and some foam chips-you can buy the ham and cheese sandwich with fries and veggies sticks for five pesos at the airport. Alcohol is included but who wants to drink at 7:30am? It wasn't much cooler in there anyway as the doors keep opening. We were told there would be lots of different food available to eat but not true. Because of this we did not eat at the resort before we left. Save your money, eat at the resort first-VIP lounge not worth it. Sunwings reply was basically read the small print as it is all in their favor and we still arrived at our destination -we only got four nice days because of bad weather and fuel loss-that half day loss at the resort was huge for us. They didn't even send us the $50voucher for future for use. Like I said before ,we did have a good time but for the money we paid we would rather pay a couple hundred dollars more or maybe not even that much to have a great time in Punta cana. This resort needs a buffet and more entertainment! If this is the Cuba has to offer, we will not return-maybe when were80!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank s m

Dear guest,

Our hotel is a small property to rest and relax and the entertaiment is not like a big resorts where they are using microphones, loud music, etc.. However, all teh guest staying at Royalton Cayo Santa maria can use all the facilities of Memories Paraiso Azul where you can find more entertainment, big theater and more..

Its a pitty we couldnt satisfy you 100% and we hope we can see you here again in order to welcom eyou personally and to show you the real 5 star that we are.

Regards,

Royalton Cayo Santa maria

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Would not hesitate to recommend or visit this adult resort again soon......excellent service, accommodation and staff. Very quiet and ideal for relaxation, sea and sand....one of the best beaches......Its the only place so far in CUBA that I would not hesitate in returning to.....from arrival to departure the staff were courteous and always accommodating.....its ideal if you want total relaxation.....access to Memories resort for buffet is available however, we were satisfied with the reservations at the 3 a la carte restaurants that our butler made for us at the Royalton.
The 1.5 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort went by very quickly and was a pleasure to see the scenery and towns and villages etc during the ride....
No obstruction of the beach or ocean as the "umbrella's" are all in one straight line and were plentiful. We did not spend any time at either of the swimming pools, however, that was our choice because it was extremely hot this time of the year and it was cooler at the beach. The ocean was crystal clear and very clean with no sea weed.
Again, if its total relaxation you are looking for in CUBA, we highly recommend the Royalton.

Room Tip: We requested an ocean view which was excellent, so I recommend if you want the same, that you reques...
3  Thank Ray W

Dear Ray W,

Thank you for spending your time sharing your 5 star experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for choosing our hotel, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

As an expert on this destination, we are very happy reading that this was your 11 time in Cuba and you highly recommend our hotel.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went with another couple May 10 - 17th and did enjoy our stay and would probably return. However was a little disappointed that the reviews were so excellent and did not match our experience. We arrived and the butler Anna explained we would only have one butler as the other was off sick. No problem we thought. She was very nice and quickly showed us to our room but had to rush as she was on her own. Our only request was for a bottle of wine for the week and an extra pillow. She explained we would have to order wine from their wine list and wasn't included. From where we asked as there was no wine list in the room. From the restaurants she explained - so much for all inclusive and for the reviews that said wine or champagne was waiting for them in their room even when not requested. Not a happy start. Our first dinner at the snack bar was ok but the second was terrible. It was at 8:30pm (we asked for 7:00pm dinners) in the Egglesence. We waited over an hour for our appetizors and our entrees did not come out until 10:15pm - overcooked lobster that you couldn't get out of the shell. There were about 5 other couples in the restaurant and the staff was setting up for the next day and we couldn't get service. The crepe lady had left before we had our entrees. I had wanted to try one but no such luck. I met with our butler and complained and asked for the meals to be changed to 7:00pm. Two were changed but 3 could not be and were for 8:30 or 9:00pm - she said to just go when we wanted and they would take us - of course when we did that they couldn't accommodate us and we couldn't eat until our ticket time. It was embarassing in front of a line of guests to be told to leave. So while the quality of food improved the timing did not. We only got to see one show due to this. The night we ate at the snack bar - while the food was very good - we were eaten alive with mosquitos - with spray with deet. I did not enjoy a cat jumping onto the arm of my chair either. Guests were feeding the cats which is just wrong and they need to get rid of cats jumping on guests and eating the leftovers. i am an animal lover but prefer them not to beg for food! I did ask to speak to the manager three times and unfortunately each time I was told he was in a meeting.

We ventured to the resort next door for the buffet once but it was just ok - and not the same quality resort (and which is half the price!). The Micheal Jackson show was awesome and we so wished we could have gone to more shows but due to our late dinners we could not. Overall the quality of the food was very good at the Royalton but absolutely missed having a buffet so we could eat when we wanted to.

the positives:

The hotel is spotless, beautiful as were our room. We had an ocean view room and it was private and stunning. AC worked perfectly - no complaints here.

The beach - this is why we would return. Fabulous - lots of palapas (strangely low and close together) but no need to save chairs early. Great service with drinks and food.

The pool - chair saving so the four of us shared the one remaining bed near the pool. Very nice but the beautiful white curtains still let in most of the sun so there wasn't sufficient shade around the pool.

The staff our by majority all very very good and friendly. The breakfast at Eggselence was very good with a buffet option. What was strange however was that they brought everything out on separate plates so if you wanted eggs and bacon the bacon was on a side plate. If you wanted toast with your eggs you had to get it yourself and hope the timing worked for your eggs. Service was either great or non-existent. I asked one waitress (same one with bad service the night before) for ketchup and she brought it after i had completely finished. Other staff were excellent. So service was very unpredictable! Food quality was generally very good.

The snack bar for lunch was excellent and we very much enjoyed the live music each day. would have loved to heard more from them!

Enjoyed the market nearby and enjoyed the many guests and relaxing vibe to the resort. The pool near the snack bar had some very very quiet music - perhaps just a little louder - would be nice and a bit more upbeat - have a quiet pool and a pool with a bit of a vibe. Many guests said they would have preferred a bit more music at the pool and if they wished more quiet could go to the quiet pool.

The indoor lobby bar had good a/c and made good drinks - good place to socialize before dinner. Great drinks and very friendly bartenders!

As the week progressed we enjoyed ourselves more but it was just lacking those details - such as nothing at all for Mothers Day. Our maid did a great job with the towels and cleaning but we received nothing at all special from the butlers. No bath or rose petals or anything. We did manage to get a bottle of wine on day four after finding out our friends managed to secure one and we complained! I guess after hearing of so many other guests being treated with special surprises I was disappointed. However, the resort is still a very good resort and ticked many boxes. If we were to return I would have lower expectations and would request request 7pm dinners before we arrived. Had I not read so many glowing reviews I would have probably been better off! All in all it was a nice relaxing holiday with nice staff and customers. Has potential to be better though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jlpellizzari

Dear guest,

We thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet, and we apologize if we did not live up to your expectations.

We have read your review and we have talked with our head butler in order to settle everything, moreover our food and beverage manager and all the staff would like to apologize you for that too.

Its a pitty we couldnt talk about this during your stay and we hope to see you soon in order to welcome you personally and to show you our real 5 star hotel.

Regards,

Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#11 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!